Diablo® III

If D3 is the future of gaming....

This is very sad because the majority of the player base that still plays hanging onto the thin thin thread of a hope that it will be better.
pvp will come out, the expac will come out but will that make the GAME better? NO

The game is bleh. the ONLY reason IMO that this game got so popular is because of the name D2 created, with the mass appeal of wow. It's easy to market to a crowd that is already buying off you.

I couldnt sleep for the last 2 years of production thinking this game would be the best thing since nice !@#$...

frankly i'm very discouraged. the bosses are boring, this 'dungeon randomization' we were promised is non existent... the list goes on.
Reply Quote
nice tata's
Reply Quote
Online games in the market right now tries to avoid this model.

They provide "convenience" and "cosmetics" in their cash shops, say, exp scrolls will allow players to level up faster but keeps players involve in playing.

Also, they keep the in-game market and cash shop market separated so that "manipulators" like "flippers" can't conveniently do their usual maneuvering of the market. In-game items can be sold in cash shops but it will bound there, meaning can't be sold back in the in-game market. In addition to that, they implement separate currencies. These model is more successful and avoids the term "pay-to-win" or "pay-for-power."

The difference is that there's no effort from blizzard in trying to do away from "pay-for-power" philosophy but instead they celebrate it for profit sacrificing integrity.

This model is for free-to-play games, I don't understand why they'd added this in a pay-to-play ARPG. Seems that the greed they get from their subscription game consumed them.

It seems to have been lost on you that in those other games you buy those items from the company that hosts the game, and in D3 you buy those items from other players.

Therein is a world of difference.

The RMAH in this game in no way resembles an F2P marketplace. It's nothing more or less than a clearinghouse to make secure the same transactions that occur and have occurred between players in every single multiplayer title since ultima online.

^ Gets it.

As mentioned, the issue primarily is that the dynamics of the game has been based on RMAH and I'm guilty of that.

I agree that they can co-exist because it's been done. However, many players fail to recognized that this model had been implemented in other games already but more stern in nature. Ironically, the said model is commonly seen in "Free-to-play" games and not with Diablo genre (ARPG) and so wasn't expected.

Well, the difference between blizzard's RMAH and the F2P games is that the latter has successfully separated the in-game and the cash shop markets thru giving each own currencies represented by, say, Zen for real-money and gold for in-game. Also, the items sold in cash shops (RMAH) stays in there (item bound) so that there's no cross-trading which means "flippers" identified as individuals who maneuver prices CANNOT manipulate market prices since the two markets (in-game and cash) had been differentiated and noninterchangeable.

So, the main protest of my argument is why would they copy the F2P model and DOWNGRADE it? I know why, because they're concerned that players will easily notice the similarities of this model with F2P which doesn't make sense in a paid game and ARPG genre. Thus they disguised this model how it is now but basically they're the same but loose and unregulated. Hence, the organic equation of X time played = X amount of gold = prices is replaced with X gold farmed by botters multiplied by X amount "perceive" by gold buyers = PRICES. That's why progressing in-game is unsustainable with in-game loots alone and that's where the problem is.

I'm not scared that other game designs in the future will follow suit because I'm well aware that this kind of consumerism can't tolerate much (though depending how intense the society has been brainwashed) and will easily reach its precipice then it will break.

EDIT: BTW, don't make this exchange an ego trip by using the stereotype card. If you label me purist then it's fair to call you "credit-card warrior."

I apologize for labeling you. FYI I haven't spent a dime on this game (I even got the game itself for "free" with my WoW subscription) and I have enjoyed almost every minute of it. Progression is absolutely sustainable with in-game loot, although I will admit it is very slow-going. I have spent plenty of gold on the GAH that helped to speed up my progression but I personally enjoy that aspect of the game as well and was more than happy to take advantage of it. I also recently rolled a barbarian that I plan to use only found items with and I'll see how that goes.

You mention the "freemium" model which I am also a big fan of, but I see the opposite motivations on Blizzard's part. You're right that the general audience would have probably been even more outraged if people were buying their high-end items from Blizzard, but if money were their only motivation they would have likely still made far more of it selling the items themselves. Everyone who has spent money buying items from players would have been fine buying them from Blizzard and they reap 100% of the profits that way.

I see what you are saying about separating the currencies but in my mind the RMAH is a giant leap forward. Time will tell how the economy of Diablo 3 holds up in the long run but I can tell you now that the game is absolutely playable if you ignore the AHs entirely. As long as that remains the case then the players will not care what happens to the economy.

The system needs some fine-tuning, and it will almost certainly be abused by some companies. But from what I have seen, Blizzard seems to be trying not to be one of them.
Reply Quote
Being 'online only' has ruined the game.
Well get used to it. If other developers are smart they will be doing this with future releases so they can have some control over their product & stop hackers & mods.

The AH/RMAH has ruined the game.
Are you new to gaming? Players have been spending money in games & making money from games for years. Having the AH/RMAH simply puts it into a controlled environment so there's less chances of players being ripped off. (which has been a big problem in the past)

D3 is a joke, it's not even a completed game.
All Blizzard has done is the same as when D2 was released & allowed the evolution of the game (in part), to be influenced by players.

Look at some of the biggest games that have been released in regards to money made & still being made after release. Of course this type of gaming is the future of the industry. It'll probably get to a point where only small developers will release games as they have been in the past. But that also means a lot of crap, boring as hell games will be released that aren't worth playing a week after you buy it. (which most are already like that now)
Reply Quote
...then the Pinto is the future of cars.
Reply Quote
11/14/2012 12:13 AMPosted by DrK
then...

gamers can get some money

"yes-lifers" can get good in a game too (they can just buy because they earn money in rl)

no time for a game - buys items
much time for a game - loots for himself and sells to others
Edited by Gorbak#2565 on 11/14/2012 3:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
11/14/2012 12:14 AMPosted by Malurek
..it isnt. it wont be. blizzard is not the top it used to be. it makes money, but that doesnt mean its the top of design anymore. path of exile, and torchlight destroy diablo 3 in every aspect it coudltn live up to.

Oh and Blizz was a non profit organization before huh, They did not make any money at all before. They just made games for free, their boxes did not cost anything at the stores. And if they did cost something then they spent that money on other things where they could show that they are a non profit company, huh.

News flash they are a for profit business, they have always been a for profit business. You just do not like the fact that D3 is not the faceroll that D2:LOD was. The only real challenge that game had was an unbeatable one, one you had to run from that was the MSLE monster. Sure in patch 1.10 of D2 they were nerfed where the damage did not stack and was not more dangerous than the normal modifiers on other monsters.

Heck if you want a faceroll then fine stay with those games. But I want a game that at least has some challenge. And this game has a challenge to it. Something that will in time improve.

The game companies that make both of those games are a for profit business. There are no non profit game companies AFAIK.
Edited by ShadowAegis#1537 on 11/14/2012 4:03 PM PST
Reply Quote
then... we have entered some strange parallel dimension where a single game completely alters how every other game across all genres are made. Not even the juggernaut that is WoW did that (granted it heavily influenced future MMOs, but not so much other game types). One game can only influence so much.
Reply Quote
then...gamers are rich!

I wish I could make $200.00+ for every video game that I played strictly for fun.
Here's to the RMAH becoming the norm.
Reply Quote
Some people you just can't make happy. They will find anything to complain about and then go on and continue playing the games they claim to be not up to par.

As far as playing games from other companies, I highly doubt Blizzard will care, as nearly everyone that plays a Blizzard game will always come back for more, because they are flat out better than every other game out there. (There is no such thing as a perfect game so keep buying other games from other companies and you'll find you lose interest within weeks or months with them compared to the months and years it takes with Blizzards games)

How many non-blizzard games have you played for months or even years at a time? Yeah they are out there, but they are far and few between, because they can't hold a light to the qaulity of games that Blizzard continues to put out! :)
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
then...gamers are rich!

I wish I could make $200.00+ for every video game that I played strictly for fun.
Here's to the RMAH becoming the norm.

the rmah has always been the norm..... it just wasn't endorsed by blizzard.....

Shut your trap, troll. It was not the norm. It was an uncommon practise, for a few stupid cheats.
Reply Quote
Some people you just can't make happy. They will find anything to complain about and then go on and continue playing the games they claim to be not up to par.

As far as playing games from other companies, I highly doubt Blizzard will care, as nearly everyone that plays a Blizzard game will always come back for more, because they are flat out better than every other game out there. (There is no such thing as a perfect game so keep buying other games from other companies and you'll find you lose interest within weeks or months with them compared to the months and years it takes with Blizzards games)

How many non-blizzard games have you played for months or even years at a time? Yeah they are out there, but they are far and few between, because they can't hold a light to the qaulity of games that Blizzard continues to put out! :)

always come back for more? i havent touched diablo 3 since 1.04 came out.

i havent played wow since lich king.

i havent played star craft since sc2 came out, and i dont plan on getting the wrath of the swarm.

older games from blizzard? ill always go back to them.

games ive played for years, and games i will be playing for years that arent blizzard games:

mario
metroid
zelda
final fantasy 6 and 7
dragon warrior (any of them)
breath of fire 1, 2, and 3
elder scrolls 3: marrowind
mk 3 and 9
kingdoms of amalur: reckoning
ikaruga
tales of symphonia
monster hunter
super street fighter 2
castlevania
killer instinct
doom
doom snes
doom 64
jade empire
star ocean series
super mario rpg
divine divinity
torchlight 1 and 2
path of exile
neverwinter nights
dungeon siege
dungeons
command and conquer
rollercoaster tycoon
sim city
magic: the gathering
battletech
age of empires
civilization
d+d

sometimes fan boys are just full of !@#$, and have no idea what they are talking about. someone should make a video like they did for "things apple users say", they should make one about, "things blizzard fan boys say". because you are just so full of s h i t.
Reply Quote
I remember when ID Software was top dog. Man, I loved Doom2 and Quake3. Good times.

Blizz make popular games to be sure but their game design doesn't change much. They don't seem to move forward, pushing boundaries like they use too. Even D3 has a very old game design with no reward or goals and a loot system that dates back to the start of WoW.

Starcraft hasn't changed much but I can understand its popularity. Still, that game feels far too repetitive to me. I enjoy Warcraft3 far more. Now that is still a top game for me.

To be honest, the only thing I see Blizzard doing is releasing their old content with better graphics. They keep this up and other companies are going to push them out with better games.

As it is, I hardly touch their products. WoW was like 5 years ago for me, played SC2 when it was new but got bored not long after release and D3 is just a game I pop into once in a while.

Frankly, I enjoy other games more.

+1

I feel you. BZ is not moving. I am its old gamer and I feel its no change greatly. I guess new gamers don't tell the difference because they don't know the old games.

Species do not evolve die. Same goes everything.
Reply Quote
I got no opinion of D3 until they release PvP.

before PvP, we're playing half a game.
Reply Quote
I LOVE d3!! It would have to be my fave game after Monster Hunter and Resident Evil (all versions before 5) because i'm a sucker for loot.

The only real problem I see is the customization! Everyone looks the same and have similar gear. We need to be able to customize the gear we get. More classes (approx 2 more), atleast another 2 gem types. The ability to modify gear, e.g add sockets (approx 1mil or more - don't make it too cheap). 2 more acts would also be incredible!

I think the shop/customization in POE would make D3 the best game ever! Honestly, these are the changes that would make this game godly. Hopefully we see all this stuff and more in the expansion.

Thanx bliz team!
Reply Quote
11/14/2012 12:13 AMPosted by DrK
then...

i should suicide, or atleast stop gameing
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]