Diablo® III

Wizard Hydra: no benefit from Life Steal, LoH

(Locked)

Hello,

I'd like to report what must be a bug. I have done a lot of testing and have found out that Hydra does not benefit at all from either Life Steal or Life on Hit (whatever the amount).

I understand that LoH is evened out depending on whether the skill is multitarget or single target, but even by those standards it should provide life at a certain rate.

On the other hand, Life Steal is more of a fixed stat, and according to its description (and one's common sense) all the damage you do should steal life for you at a fixed rate (the percentage you have on your gear, skills or passives).

I believe this is a sort of game-breaking bug, considered Hydra is a skill that causes a lot of damage and can make it very difficult (without the right skills and proper care) to fight reflect damage affix elites and champions.

If you take a look at the following thread, you can see that for a brief time, Hydra not benefitting from LoH or LS made it into the Known Issues thread, but its entry has been deleted as of now. This was posted and quoted by none other than a Blue.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6412213704

Let's try and remind Blizzard that this is still a known issue, and that it shouldn't be deleted from that list!
Edited by Coxis#1100 on 11/2/2012 12:02 PM PDT
I think this is not a bug since the damage is done by the Hydra instead of the player.
That is a good point, however as far as I know, Hydra not proccing was at some point in the official known issues thread. I don't know this for sure since the thread has been edited, but I would sure love to hear confirmation on whether or not this is intended.

Hydra is a skill that I cast, therefore I should receive health from at least LS. I understand LoH is different regarding on what skills proc it and how much they do.
10/28/2012 10:49 AMPosted by smartcartman
I think this is not a bug since the damage is done by the Hydra instead of the player.

Bump. Also, if we follow that logic the damage should be reflected to the Hydra and not the player.
Bump for awareness. Something needs to be done.
The real problem with hydra is that while it doesn't give you LOH or LL it does reflect dmg. Now THATS the real bug.
I agree. However it works, it should be consistent. I'd prefer it to get a low proc chance, but if not, then at least make it exempt from RD.

As it is, it just can't be used at high dps.
Players don't use Hydra because it doesnt proc CM/LOH/LS etc. Please fix it to improve build diversity.
In addition to not working with LS and LoH, hydra also does not work with life after kill and crit damage from gear.

By that logic, the damage should be relected back at the hydra, not the player.
This need to be addressed by a Blue.

Bump for the truth.
signed/bump
10/31/2012 02:00 PMPosted by stoutZero
Bump, but will this even be heard ? Seriously ?

The more we fill this thread with posts the better...
Another thing I noticed last night while trying every build imaginable, and finding no good ones.

Arcane Dynamo (The passive), after you get five stacks and cast Hydra, it uses up the stacks but doesn't add any damage to Hydra. Either it should keep your stacks, or the stacks should apply to the duration of that Hydra cast.
Another thing I noticed last night while trying every build imaginable, and finding no good ones.

Arcane Dynamo (The passive), after you get five stacks and cast Hydra, it uses up the stacks but doesn't add any damage to Hydra. Either it should keep your stacks, or the stacks should apply to the duration of that Hydra cast.

You are exactly right. Hydra, for example, does not benefit from passives such as Cold Blooded either.

Damage-wise Blizzard has done a great job at ensuring that it is a very usable skill. It seems in doing so, they may have forgotten to look at other aspects of this otherwise great skill.
this is not a bug since the damage is done by the Hydra instead of the player.

Damage of Meteor is done by the meteor, not the player.
Damage of Blizzard is done by the blizzard, not the player.

So which damage is dealed by players then?
rawr, justice be done!!!
Yes this is HORRIBLE.

I find myself running away from a Reflect Damage mob while continuously re-casting hydra far away trying to keep it away from them as they chase me, which is a terrible mechanic, synce we can't dismiss the hydra and it kills me even though my regular attacks don't, due to LS.

It gets even worse when fighting kulle+siege, as kulle teleports away and then I can't get the hydra off of siegebreaker since he is so big that anywhere on the screen I recast my hydra it will still target him and suicide me.
This needs to be fixed along with the same problems with the DH sentery...PLEASE FIX!
I heard it doesn't even proc Life on Kill, which would be ridiculous, but I haven't tried it myself.

Also heard it doesn't work with Cold Blooded passive :/
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]