Diablo® III

killing myself on reflect damage

11/01/2012 09:26 PMPosted by Lylirra
That said, we do agree that we can make some improvements. For example, we'll be making it so that damage dealt by pets will no longer reflect back to the player. We're also toying with the idea of changing Reflects Damage so that it has a duration and can only be activated by monsters periodically (rather than it always being active), but that's definitely not yet set in stone.

If the active period is obviously displayed, then I like that idea very much, at least we now know when to stop attacking and start running (Like the Frozen affix)
We know Reflects Damage has been a little more challenging for some players in this patch, so we've been reviewing feedback regarding the affix pretty closely since 1.0.5 released. The actual values for the stat haven't changed at all and, in general, it seems like the issue for players is really just related to increased monster health thanks to Monster Power.

Since monsters have a lot more health in the higher MP levels, not only do fights last longer, but players need to do a lot more damage in order to kill their targets. Of course, that means there's a lot more opportunity for you to get hit with Reflects Damage. So, whereas before the patch, a player may have been able to kill monsters with the Reflects Damage affix no problem and with health to spare, now that fights are lasting longer that same player may not have as much success -- at least, not without making some adjustments to their build or gear.

That said, we do agree that we can make some improvements. For example, we'll be making it so that damage dealt by pets will no longer reflect back to the player. We're also toying with the idea of changing Reflects Damage so that it has a duration and can only be activated by monsters periodically (rather than it always being active), but that's definitely not yet set in stone.

Lylirra, could you please confirm if the Wizard's Hydra is considered a pet?
I didnt read all these posts.. but on the subject of reflect damage it is a pretty crazy mod.. however I also like my games to be tough and take time to make it through. Thats just me though.
Anyways, one thing I think that may help with reflect damage is to modify how it works. It should only reflect damage caused directly by your toon. For eg. if a DH drops a turret the DH should not get damaged by the RD effect caused by the turret striking the elite.
Same with mages... this may not help monks but maybe allow dodge to work for RD as well... I dont know just some suggestions.

edit: and just noticed the blue post above me basically saying this is the way they are looking to go... excellent...lol
Edited by Claimguy#1853 on 11/2/2012 10:11 AM PDT
11/02/2012 06:53 AMPosted by SpeedBumps
qouted someother WD (post#116)... I have no trouble with RD

yeah noticed it too late and was too lazy to fix it. seen his other thread with him boasting about hp and other stats but seems to have a hard time with reflect affix o.O
just curious....how many of you know how to use pots and watch your health pool? It really seems to me like the majority of you just want mobs to be as easy as the ones in the lower difficulties. o_O This games difficulty has already been nerfed to the ground. Do you see any HC players moaning about reflect? sheesh shame on you Casual Softcore noobs....
anyone that complains about reflect damage is a B I T C H!!!! if this seriously gets nerf'd cuz morons dont know how to gear their characters then i dunno what imma do... i guess ill let my 5 year old nephew start using my account... since it will make this game around his skill level...

this game is already way too easy cuz you dumb kids dont know how to play, so you cry and moan on forums till blizzard nerfs the fun out of the game.
Edited by Psycho#1237 on 11/2/2012 10:38 AM PDT
anyone that complains about reflect damage is a B I T C H!!!! if this seriously gets nerf'd cuz morons dont know how to gear their characters then i dunno what imma do... i guess ill let my 5 year old nephew start using my account... since it will make this game around his skill level...

this game is already way too easy cuz you dumb kids dont know how to play, so you cry and moan on forums till blizzard nerfs the fun out of the game.

+1

Finally. Yes, please turn Reflect into Shield affix. A "strong" Reflect comes up and the players need to PAY ATTENTION to it just like we need to pay attention to other affixes. It's more about "awareness" than a "gear-check".

And the new Reflect could easily kill players too if they don't pay attention because the % of it returned should be higher.

And yes, please don't allow pets doing reflect damage back because they can't steal life. This includes Sentry.

And I am not talking about "nerf" Reflect. I am talking about making Reflect a test of reaction/awareness and making it STRONGER.. much stronger so if you don't pay attention and hits one with Thorn/Reflect, you take big damage. You can try to reduce it with better gear.
Edited by Jibikao#1131 on 11/2/2012 10:44 AM PDT
the reflect mobs are just fine , whats the point of playing if everything is too easy to kill, you just need to have good gears that's all, i wish they never remove the invulnerable mobs affix and some stuff before

anyways i hope i can suggest put a quick button for changing weapons. so that we can change to loh ls if needed and dps for faster killing

Says the dude with top gear on one class.

There's plenty for you to do still. Get other classes to MP10. Play hardcore.

Still want more "challenge"? Swap specs. Go full tank or full glass cannon. Stop asking for the game to be centered around top gear only.

hello ? that is why they created mp levels.

do u think i can kill elites in mp8 in seconds? i'm not looking or a challenge .i trying to point out that if you have good gears reflect damage wont be an issue. i don't even know if people are reading the whole message or just in between the line.... sigh
Edited by twodiiefor#6836 on 11/2/2012 10:57 AM PDT
11/01/2012 09:26 PMPosted by Lylirra
That said, we do agree that we can make some improvements. For example, we'll be making it so that damage dealt by pets will no longer reflect back to the player.

That is a great news and much needed change. Please also remove reflect damage from pet-like spells, like hydra and sentry, because once cast, they will attack on their own and cannot be controlled. They also do not trigger life steal, so as a general rule of thumb, anything that cannot trigger life steal should not tigger reflect damage either.
there's no challenge in reflect damage. it's more of a skill check

DO YOU HAVE GLOOM? Y/N

IF Y: GOOD JOB YOU WIN
IF N: LOL YOU DIED BUT DON'T WORRY GLOOM IS OPTIONAL
11/01/2012 01:29 PMPosted by Lasty
Hydra is reflect suicide, neither ls or loh proc with it. When i used hydra blizz, i didnt use hydra for reflect packs.

Bah, compare using hydra to 2-3 sentries dealing 175% damage each (more if using the rockets). Sure no critical chance with sentries but they still deal a ton of damage.

Can't use these against reflect damage as well unless using a crazy loh/ls weapon.
you guys need to learn how to balance offense with defense. im a 160k dps DH and ive never killed myself with reflect. not once
you guys need to learn how to balance offense with defense. im a 160k dps DH and ive never killed myself with reflect. not once

You're a sharpshooter wannabe using gloom along with a crap damage.

[Crap damage]

Nightwing 60 dh View Profile 56,318 dps unbuffed

[/Crap damage]

It's like stuffing cotton in your underpants to make your junk look more appealing to women.
Laughable at best.

nice, i got a fan ^_^. at 22% crit chance its more effective for me to use sharpshooter, so i can crit all the time versus 1/5 :). i can farm mp5 pretty easily, at 314% mf, and i rarely die. like you just proved, because i use gloom indefinitely...as i know how to gear properly like i said

i could upgrade it i suppose, draw out some more dps with some vile wards and a witching hour (not like i cant afford it XD), i just dont play softcore anymore so i dont really see much point XD. being good at softcore is like....well i suppose you said it best ;)

and i suppose i should post the obligatory "jelly?".
Edited by Isolation#1274 on 11/2/2012 11:11 AM PDT
11/01/2012 10:15 PMPosted by Lylirra
Despite having Reflect Damage being an everyday complain on General/PTR Feedback thread FOR MONTHS, despite realizing it's a bad design, nothing was discusses by the CMs til now. I didn't wanna complain about lack of communication but really :/

We certainly saw the discussions before hand and passed them along, but there were no plans for adjustments that we could communicate until now.

Sorry if this sounds harsh but why does it seem like everyone at Blizzard is completely oblivious to the reasoning behind the complaints?

You nerfed Inferno damage and nerfed our defenses.. but DID NOT change the values of reflect damage. That should be a huge red flag.

Numbers example, 1.04 I do 100 damage to a mob with RD, with 50 defense I get hit for 50 damage back. 1.05 my defense was nerfed to 25, but I still do 100 damage, so now I'm taking 75 damage.

See the issue now? Every time I see a thread on this I sigh, and every blue post makes me facepalm.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]