Diablo® III

killing myself on reflect damage

11/01/2012 10:15 PMPosted by Lylirra
Despite having Reflect Damage being an everyday complain on General/PTR Feedback thread FOR MONTHS, despite realizing it's a bad design, nothing was discusses by the CMs til now. I didn't wanna complain about lack of communication but really :/

We certainly saw the discussions before hand and passed them along, but there were no plans for adjustments that we could communicate until now.

Make reflect damage Toggle On toggle Off like shielding so theres a certain amount of time when we can burst out all our damage and then be more passive while the thorn is on
11/01/2012 09:26 PMPosted by Lylirra
That said, we do agree that we can make some improvements. For example, we'll be making it so that damage dealt by pets will no longer reflect back to the player. We're also toying with the idea of changing Reflects Damage so that it has a duration and can only be activated by monsters periodically (rather than it always being active), but that's definitely not yet set in stone.

Does the "pets will no longer reflect" also include skills like sentry/hydra?

Reflect Damage is fine as a concept but the % damage reflected is quite large, it would probably be better to keep a small portion of the reflect damage and include something else in the affix (and obviously call it something else). This way reflect damage won't hit so hard and the other part of the affix might make the monster challenging in a different way.

"jelly?"

Mouhahaahhaa Lets be serious for 1 sec.

My toon :

http://eu.battle.net/d3/fr/profile/alpahc-2190/hero/4730649

Your toon :

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Isolation-1274/hero/5024654

As you can see, I'm sooooo jelly.

But don't fool yourself, RD is not hard and takes no skill at all.

As i said, I can stand in desecrator forever while getting mortared at against a RD pack with my RD gear.
Because at 200K DPS + ANY damage done to me is instantly overhealed by my DPS with LS.
There's absolutely no challenge at all doing so, just gear & build checks.

But why should we all gear the same way and use the same builds to overcome a stupid affix ?
Now that's the real problem.
Edited by alpahc#2190 on 11/2/2012 11:27 AM PDT
We know Reflects Damage has been a little more challenging for some players in this patch, so we've been reviewing feedback regarding the affix pretty closely since 1.0.5 released. The actual values for the stat haven't changed at all and, in general, it seems like the issue for players is really just related to increased monster health thanks to Monster Power.

Since monsters have a lot more health in the higher MP levels, not only do fights last longer, but players need to do a lot more damage in order to kill their targets. Of course, that means there's a lot more opportunity for you to get hit with Reflects Damage. So, whereas before the patch, a player may have been able to kill monsters with the Reflects Damage affix no problem and with health to spare, now that fights are lasting longer that same player may not have as much success -- at least, not without making some adjustments to their build or gear.

That said, we do agree that we can make some improvements. For example, we'll be making it so that damage dealt by pets will no longer reflect back to the player. We're also toying with the idea of changing Reflects Damage so that it has a duration and can only be activated by monsters periodically (rather than it always being active), but that's definitely not yet set in stone.

Brilliant response!

Make it like shielding (timed buff) with a visual orange shield / aura

this would be purrrrrfect
Edited by Gorbak#2565 on 11/2/2012 11:23 AM PDT
11/02/2012 11:16 AMPosted by DeMasked

Does the "pets will no longer reflect" also include skills like sentry/hydra?

Reflect Damage is fine as a concept but the % damage reflected is quite large, it would probably be better to keep a small portion of the reflect damage and include something else in the affix (and obviously call it something else). This way reflect damage won't hit so hard and the other part of the affix might make the monster challenging in a different way.

Needs to be this, exactly. There is no point in making people try to lower their dps, so they don't kill themselves.. they wouldn't want to lower it anyways.
For example, we'll be making it so that damage dealt by pets will no longer reflect back to the player.

Will this also be applied to DH's Sentry as well???!!! :D
Edited by Claw8ds#1130 on 11/2/2012 11:38 AM PDT
We know Reflects Damage has been a little more challenging for some players in this patch, so we've been reviewing feedback regarding the affix pretty closely since 1.0.5 released. The actual values for the stat haven't changed at all and, in general, it seems like the issue for players is really just related to increased monster health thanks to Monster Power.

Since monsters have a lot more health in the higher MP levels, not only do fights last longer, but players need to do a lot more damage in order to kill their targets. Of course, that means there's a lot more opportunity for you to get hit with Reflects Damage. So, whereas before the patch, a player may have been able to kill monsters with the Reflects Damage affix no problem and with health to spare, now that fights are lasting longer that same player may not have as much success -- at least, not without making some adjustments to their build or gear.

Brilliant response!

Make it like shielding (timed buff) with a visual orange shield / aura

this would be purrrrrfect

Agree!! At least have a some sort of visual 'Reflect' affix effect. I think that would help in general. Usually when I encounter a reflect damage mob, it kills me first, than I realize. I'm burst dps, so one 600k+ shot, instant death if Gloom isn't on.
Edited by Claw8ds#1130 on 11/2/2012 11:41 AM PDT
anyone that complains about reflect damage is a B I T C H!!!! if this seriously gets nerf'd cuz morons dont know how to gear their characters then i dunno what imma do... i guess ill let my 5 year old nephew start using my account... since it will make this game around his skill level...

this game is already way too easy cuz you dumb kids dont know how to play, so you cry and moan on forums till blizzard nerfs the fun out of the game.

Mr barely 100k DPS finds this game super easy with his life steal weapon and his cheese build... huhu

Probably also plays on MP0.

Hurr durr, game is so easy...
Proving my point, play lower MP or use other skills.

11/02/2012 03:14 AMPosted by Nanaki
you use a very low dmg build with grasp of the dead and acid cloud lob bomb. If you actually used a strong build you would realise how terrible reflect is

I use a "stronger" build to keyfarm and do Ubers at MP9 (with my friends) and still no problem with RD. Solo I play MP3-5 for efficient farming.
My point is that that you have to play a level suited to your gear and not to expect that all can play at high MP right away.

but it is the only affix giving me any trouble. No other affix or mob comes even close. Why should 1 affix force me to adapt THIS much. You say change build, but what about build diversity? Why should 1 affix dictate how i play Diablo?
If RD was only effective against me then i wouldnt mind, but reflect is on a different level then ANYTHING else

And it's pretty simple - you stop attacking. Wait for a potion. Run back. Swap to a lower dps weapon. Swap out some gear for LoH (amulets get up to 1000 LoH I think).

Basically: stop failing

and that is fun how?
Edited by Nanaki#1926 on 11/2/2012 11:54 AM PDT
hello ? that is why they created mp levels.

do u think i can kill elites in mp8 in seconds? i'm not looking or a challenge .i trying to point out that if you have good gears reflect damage wont be an issue. i don't even know if people are reading the whole message or just in between the line.... sigh

And I'm pointing out that "have this specific gear to deal with this one affix" is a bad solution.
Why not just change Shielders to reflect damage when they have shield on them?
errrr....ur a vewi vewi bad WD if u one shot urself with those stats o_O i dnt use zombie bears, i spam corpse bomb,add the DoT from grasp + the damage from pets and follower and boom boom from spirit walk and i don't die. o_O

the difference in damage between corpse bomb and zombie bears is GIGANTIC.
11/02/2012 10:55 AMPosted by DeMasked
Bah, compare using hydra to 2-3 sentries dealing 175% damage each (more if using the rockets). Sure no critical chance with sentries but they still deal a ton of damage.

If he's talking about poison hydra, I'm not so sure that comparison would go the way you think it would. It might, and in the average case of moving mobs, probably would, but you get a mob that sticks in place, poison hydra damage starts stacking, quick.
Edited by Anomie#1322 on 11/2/2012 12:00 PM PDT

"jelly?"

Mouhahaahhaa Lets be serious for 1 sec.

My toon :

http://eu.battle.net/d3/fr/profile/alpahc-2190/hero/4730649

Your toon :

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Isolation-1274/hero/5024654

As you can see, I'm sooooo jelly.

But don't fool yourself, RD is not hard and takes no skill at all.

As i said, I can stand in desecrator forever while getting mortared at against a RD pack with my RD gear.
Because at 200K DPS + ANY damage done to me is instantly overhealed by my DPS with LS.

But why should we all gear the same way and use the same builds to overcome a stupid affix ?

can gear any way you want, just gear for the content you want to clear.

not jealous, anyone can have crazy softcore characters, im still pleased with mine but i havent played him much since a week or two after 1.0.4. like i said i could always grind more but whats the point? i think you;d have an easier time if you could raise your health actually, 37k is pretty low. gotta keep all three defensive stats in mind against high level damage.

let me know when you finish hardcore ;)
Edited by Isolation#1274 on 11/2/2012 12:10 PM PDT
Hydra needs to be fixed it does not proc LS or LOH but it reflects damage making it a suicide spell VS reflect doesn't matter what kind of gear you have...
Make it so it can be dodged? Are you !@#$ing retarded? Everyone stacks dexterity nowdays?
Reflect Damage is terrible. It pidgeon-holes my DH into using Shadow Power, it randomly kills me if I haven't noticed it, and gets worse the better gear I get. Something that punishes you for improving your character, something that hurts build diversity, something that's not even fun gameplay should not be in the game.

You either:
1.) I can ignore reflect damage and it doesn't bother me. (Fun gameplay right?)
OR
2.) Reflect Murders me whenever I do damage.... (Fun?)

let me know when you finish hardcore ;)

I'm not dumb enough to even start playing a mode that has been designed for spoiled kids and which i can instantly get disconnect from and thus die in.
I leave that to kids like you.

And as for your comments on my health being low, it's just hilarious !
You, a 50k sharpshooter scrub giving advice to me. I have more than 4 times your DPS unbuffed.
I have no problem at all overcoming RD.
If you learned to read instead of wasting your time in HC mode you'd have figured it out, as i said when i replied to you :

I can stand in desecrator forever while getting mortared at against a RD pack with my RD gear.

Tired of these scrubs thinking they are any good because their dmg is so !@#$ty they dont even notice RD
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]