Diablo® III

killing myself on reflect damage

Community Manager
Couple of follow ups:

- Hydra and Sentry are technically "pets" (so to speak), so whenever we make the change to no longer allow pet damage to reflect back to the player, they'll be included too.

- If we do elect to move forward with having Reflects Damage be a duration-based affix, we'd also want to add a new visual for whenever RD is active.
I guess im a bit confused by reflect damage in this new patch.

Previously, i could do a 1 million damage critical strike and not get killed by reflect damage. It seems like when i am playing with higher monster power levels (7+) and i strike for 1 million or more damage, my life is quickly and abruptly gone and i end up killing my self in 1 or 2 hits.

What is the reasoning behind this in the new patch? Is it something to do with more difficult monsters in higher monster power levels?
Couple of follow ups:

- Hydra and Sentry are technically "pets" (so to speak), so whenever we make the change to no longer allow pet damage to reflect back to the player, they'll be included too.

- If we do elect to move forward with having Reflects Damage be a duration-based affix, we'd also want to add a new visual for whenever RD is active.

How about something like the old Iron Maiden graphic?
Couple of follow ups:

The "pet"/"hydra" fix would not be helpful to monks at all.
Switch to a wep with zero crit damage.

Get 1k LoH and 1k HP regen a sec.

Sorry you can't roll over everything with your dps only build. Working as intended.
Couple of follow ups:

!!!!!!!

This will be the day I switch my DH to x3 turrets + rockets build.
Switch to a wep with zero crit damage.

Get 1k LoH and 1k HP regen a sec.

Sorry you can't roll over everything with your dps only build. Working as intended.

u got rubbish gears, dun come and comment on reflect damage, i life steal 3 -4k per hit easily and life regen around 1k a sec plus LOH 300, i still have problem with reflect and u can be damn sure i have way better resist, hp, armour than u
Couple of follow ups:

Thank you! Exactly what I was hoping for. A new graphic that shows "Thorn" and you can even make it stronger because you want players to "pay attention to it". 10% flat can already be "ignored" by high-end Gear and certain skills with better proc efficient. The point of an affix is to add excitement and punishment during Elite fight. You should be rewarded if you pay attention to Reflect graphic and don't take any damage from it.

If you simply "nerf" Reflect by making it return less damage, then this Affix adds NOTHING to the gameplay except for forcing players to gear for it or take certain runes (Gloom).

Remember, an Affix is NOT a gear-check. Monster Power is.
Edited by Jibikao#1131 on 11/2/2012 12:53 PM PDT

yes please! even without it being duration-based a visual for rd would be very good since it's hard to see if an elite-pack has rd before it's too late.
Btw, is it "Reflects Damage" or "Reflect Damage"?

I thought I saw them without "s" in game.
As much as I hate RD, I would hate to see it nerfed. Is there a detailed description as to how the affix works? Does it return 100% damage dealt? What type of damage is it? Physical, holy, etc.?
Also some mobs, like fallens with RD, I can kill without even losing health, even if they are an extra health mob, but something like phase beasts? I about 1 shoot myself smashing into a pack of them. Any reason to this? I was thinking monster armor, but you'd think demonic tremors and phase beasts would have more armor than a fallen, thus allowing more damage to reach the fallens, thus more damage returned to you.
Edited by RagingKoala#1984 on 11/2/2012 12:52 PM PDT
I would imagine everything has a counter so you can deal with the problem. Like for instance, molten affix, the counter is higher fire resist most likely. What is a reasonable counter for reflect damage?
This is the stupidest argument ever against RD.

Other affixes FORCE you to stop attacking. I run a bears build and bears do not go through walls. So if I run into a set of blue wallers, I end up spending more than half the time just running around trying to hit them. It's not a deadly affix in the least, but it is my personal most-hated affix because it's so annoying.

Same thing with Mortar. I have to spend a lot of time running around dodging mortars and during that time I am not DPSing. Should we remove that as well since anytime I'm not shooting at something I'm "not playing"?

It's going to get nerfed though, you guys win. Just like you always win with these crybaby nerfs.

Other affixes do not FORCE you to take damage. You can avoid mortars. That can present at least some "challenge". Damage coming back at you and you can't do anything about it? There's no "challenge". There's "get this gear". It's freaking stupid.

It's good that we win. Logical feedback always does. Baseless protests never do. It's not our fault you don't understand the problem.

I can literally feel the stupid in each of these whine posts. It's very disturbing.

RD doesn't force you to take damage either, damage gets too high, you STOP SHOOTING for a few seconds and let your defensive cooldowns come back or drink a potion.

This is far from logical feedback, this is a bunch of crying from people who want to stack nothing but damage. That's literally all there is here. You don't want build diversity, you want the opposite of it. You want to just take things that increase damage and that's all.

Let me put it another way, without something like RD, there is NO POINT to stacking any more defenses past the oneshot point. You get your 3% lifesteal, you get enough health, armor and resistance to not die instantly, then you stack damage like crazy. Eventually you get so much damage with your lifesteal that you can facetank anything. This is precisely what we see with Barbarians, since they can get so much more lifesteal. Watch some WW Barb videos sometime, you'll see the health dip to half or less and then back to full several times a second.
11/02/2012 12:53 PMPosted by Professor
I would imagine everything has a counter so you can deal with the problem. Like for instance, molten affix, the counter is higher fire resist most likely. What is a reasonable counter for reflect damage?

Molten can be dodged... you don't have to stand there.

How do you dodge Reflect? The counter is to get specific items/skills. That's a design flaw.

Affix introduces "excitement" during Elite fight. They force you to pay attention to what Elite does through ice, arcane, dot...wall. You can REACT to know and take less damage or completely avoid them.

If you don't have good life steal, you can't counter Reflect during long battle. And those of you that can kill Elite under 10s, are simply doing it at a lower MP level, which means Reflect has an impact on MP choice as well = bad design.

Usually learning to play counters RD.

If you use a bursty attack.. swap to something more sustained in damage. I have absolutely no problem with reflect damage when I use a sustained build.. but if I were to use something like Pile On run.. I would easily burst myself dead. Therefore I do not use a nuclear bomb on RD packs..

life on hit?
11/02/2012 12:32 PMPosted by Lylirra

Can you please make it so, that RD monsters have two different visuals a) when they don't have RD active and b) when they have it active.

If the RD doesn't have any visual when its not active, then the following thing will happen:
- a happy DH sees elite pack with no active RD visuals, therefore he doesn't know the elites have RD
- DH puts couple spike traps on the ground and blasts the elites
- elites activate RD and the new visuals appear
- elites walk over spike traps
- DH dies instantly
- DH is not happy anymore!
Edited by Lyriikka#2367 on 11/2/2012 12:59 PM PDT
11/02/2012 12:54 PMPosted by Zoid
RD doesn't force you to take damage either, damage gets too high, you STOP SHOOTING for a few seconds and let your defensive cooldowns come back or drink a potion.

Well, this may work but it's against the philosophy of what made an ARPG fun.
Couple of follow ups:

Sigh... so the pressure got to you eh? You're actually nerfing a very manageable affix? Well, I hope that if you do change it to a duration-based affix, that you DOUBLE the amount of damage reflected during that duration. This still gives the whiners a window in which to attack with impunity, while hopefully keeping this affix good.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]