Diablo® III

killing myself on reflect damage

Wizard here, with 40k more DPS than you, no lifesteal or LoH, and doesn't use Prismatic Armor.

RD is fine. Stop being terrible.

This guy is a liar. I had to switch to CM spec to deal with RD. The high up time on diamond skin with this spec made it possible to deal with RD.

This is my EHP chest piece if needed http://imgur.com/u255p

I'm not using glass cannon and I am still using prismatic. I also have 2.3% lifesteal, 3.8% if I switch to blood weapon.

@Darcarius
no wonder, you spam gloom @Op never stated about DH's

Regardless, it's just about properly managing your resources and having a spec where you can play comfortably. If someone is struggling taking damage, then they should re-evaluate their stats and tweak their build accordingly.

So we should just change up our gear yet again because of a patch?
11/02/2012 03:54 PMPosted by Grave
That said, we do agree that we can make some improvements. For example, we'll be making it so that damage dealt by pets will no longer reflect back to the player. We're also toying with the idea of changing Reflects Damage so that it has a duration and can only be activated by monsters periodically (rather than it always being active), but that's definitely not yet set in stone.

here's how you fix static solely gear based affix
into affix which also takes player skills like tactical movement into consideration:

-this should be a curse effect much like reflect damage on succubi
activated when a player is hit (lack of player skill), and not always on (gear check)
this way a skilled player can avoid it, so its not a spreadsheet-rpg affix but an action-rpg affix

- reflect damage instant autohit elite affix = gearcheck (unavoidable)
- succubus missile reflect damage curse = player skill check (avoidable by skillful movement)

one of these doesnt belong to arpg

and to throw in one more suggestion:
1. elite has a reflect damage affix
2. it's in a dormant inactive state
3. once a player inflicts damage to this elite
the dormant affix activates and releases magic missile
-one missile for each hit
-each missile has its own damage power which depends on damage inflicted
so if you hit a monster for 10k dmg released missile will have 2k dmg
but if you crit for 2 mil then the corresponding missile will have 400k dmg
4. missile speed could be on same level as succubi missiles, not too fast but not too slow
so you can maneuver AND fight.
duration could be similar so you dont have to run in circles forever
5. this would also make it more fun in multiplayer, because the missiles can hit
any of the player, not only the instigator :)
View profile
11/02/2012 04:47 PMPosted by Grave

here's how you fix static solely gear based affix
into affix which also takes player skills like tactical movement into consideration:

-this should be a curse effect much like reflect damage on succubi
activated when a player is hit (lack of player skill), and not always on (gear check)
this way a skilled player can avoid it, so its not a spreadsheet-rpg affix but an action-rpg affix

- reflect damage instant autohit elite affix = gearcheck (unavoidable)
- succubus missile reflect damage curse = player skill check (avoidable by skillful movement)

one of these doesnt belong to arpg

and to throw in one more suggestion:
1. elite has a reflect damage affix
2. it's in a dormant inactive state
3. once a player inflicts damage to this elite
the dormant affix activates and releases magic missile
-one missile for each hit
-each missile has its own damage power which depends on damage inflicted
so if you hit a monster for 10k dmg released missile will have 2k dmg
but if you crit for 2 mil then the corresponding missile will have 400k dmg
4. missile speed could be on same level as succubi missiles, not too fast but not too slow
so you can maneuver AND fight.
duration could be similar so you dont have to run in circles forever
5. this would also make it more fun in multiplayer, because the missiles can hit
any of the player, not only the instigator :)

I love this because of 5. I would like to modify though so Strength acts like Dodge with regards to Reflect damage and then maybe i can show some Barbs how how it feels to be oneshotted.

J/k Good ideas man.
RD sucks for Wizards mostly because they have jack to deal with it. DH have Gloom, Barbs well if you dont know why Barbs have it easy this is the first post you ever read, Monks have only defensive abilities, it may suck for WD but no one really plays them bet it sucks though all those pets.

In the end it sucks but the game is still fun I'm sure there will be some patch and we will be complaing about something else. I personally hate vortex the most pulls me out of my comfort zone into death pools and shizzz.
don't change reflcet in general, its a bad idea, BLIZZARD.

i do see the problem demon hunters have, their way to defend is to kill fast. so, they have to deal high amounts of damage. if you want to change reflect, change demon hunter skills, gloom or something.

but don't change it for all classes, because, it not a problem at all.

if one has a cheap glass cannon gear, he should not be able to faceroll through high monster power level in inferno. or should he, BLIZZARD?
Dusk DH are fine, we have skills to prevent it. Gloom turret bubble boar, get some friggin d. Reflect does suck in mp7-10 though.
View profile
ht
11/02/2012 05:49 PMPosted by Ultatron
Dusk DH are fine, we have skills to prevent it. Gloom turret bubble boar, get some friggin d. Reflect does suck in mp7-10 though.

So yet again because Blizzard decided to change skills no one asked them to we should now be actually forced to take those very skills?

Dont wanna use boar if i did i would play my WOW hunter where pets are actually good for something other than a mild boost. Use gloom and have forever. MP 4 and up and sometimes even lower MPs Gloom not stopping the suicides. Turret bubble? Come on now why not just play a Barb and get over it? You have to stay in one spot to utilize turret and i picked a demon hunter for the range and stick and move playstyle. I have spent a ton of gold to get around 400AR to get anymore will be to severely hamper my dps and then wtf am Imdoing playing what I was led to believe was a dps class?

Why is it you almost never see a player with a considerable number of hours logged onto a DH posting such drivel? The whole arguement that we should lower our dps is absolutely idiotic. Before 1.05 I had to !@#$can my "balanced" DH with 600+AR and 50k health because Bliz ruined LOH procing from our skills and the only way I could farm Act 3 was to go all out DPS with AR and Vit being important but taking a backseat to more damage because even with 600AR most mobs one shot me. By the way RD was a pain but nowhere near its current level.

Now Blizzard decides they dont want us to be reliant on defences they nerf Gloom and make us ten times more reliant on defensive skills. Soo sick of the outright lies we are told and the Blatant contradictions. Utterly shameful Blizzard and its RMAH money grab.

Dont believe me. Go read Chengs blog on the defensive nerfs and see if it makes one little bit of sense. Biggest pile of BS i wasted the time to read in awhile. We find players are to reliant on defensive skills indeed. So making us more reliant on them is the way to go in what Bizzaro universe?
I thought you guys learned from iron maiden in d2.

Mechanics that punish you for playing the game as it's supposed to be played are just bad.

"Here's a monster, don't hit it" just seems to be very much against the vibes of an ARPG.

It's not hard to back off and just wait for serenity to cd, but it doesn't add any difficulty, just time and frustration while running around doing nothing.
reflect dmg change to. you hit a mob, it lobs a frozen orb or desc at you PER attack.. means you must continually kite b4 it explodes.
View profile
I would take invulnerable minions over this current RD affix. At least I can see what that affix add challenge and doesnt punish you just for having High DPS. Although it was also an ill thought out affix it was nowhere as stupid as having us kill ourselves. Why they couldn't give certain mobs inherrant resistancies to increase difficulty instead of RD or Invulnerable Minions is beyond me other than they were tossed into the mix as an afterthough to drive players to way overgear content just to combat two affixes.

But what makes it the slap in the face most of us feel is having our main stat be utterly useless against RD and actually the more we have the worse it is. Seriously who is the rocket scientist thought this up? Is there a single affix that punishes stackin Strength or Intelligence without allowing those same affixes to provide some mitigation? My guess is they are just too lazy or are plain out unable to code it so dodge will mitigate any RD damage so are just making DH and Monks eat it. They didn't have to make every other affix be RD though that was just plain mean.
Edited by Stoneslammer#1524 on 11/2/2012 7:06 PM PDT
View profile
11/02/2012 06:40 PMPosted by chrisloup
reflect dmg change to. you hit a mob, it lobs a frozen orb or desc at you PER attack.. means you must continually kite b4 it explodes.

Also a good idea. Makes attacks dodgeable. Also doesnt make the affix useless and it would actually punish a player for standing in one place facetanking it. So it would be usefull to have damage mitigation but also,doesnt force players into taking defensive skills purely to combat a single affix.
Switch to a wep with zero crit damage.

Get 1k LoH and 1k HP regen a sec.

Sorry you can't roll over everything with your dps only build. Working as intended.

35k DPS DH and is trying to tell others on what to do. Amusing.
Reflect damage is way too strong currently, much like the old shielding/invulnerable minions. Yes you can deal with it, but it is mega annoying even for balanced(not glass cannon) characters When i increase my dps via gear upgrades i always worry about dying to reflects. Even for characters geared to survive vs reflects, it might require being careful and slowing dps down to compensate for the insane amount of dmg reflect does. For example : wizard with 1300 loh 2.76 aps 740 ar 4k+ armor, my life goes up and down all the time vs reflects.If i do not slow down from time to time my life can drop in half a second from 44k to 0, and thats wiith plenty of twisters returning life to me. Compare reflect to pretty much every other affix and u have your answer about its strength.Lowering the percentage of reflected damage, or putting a duration and a visual effect to it much like shielding, would bring it in line with the strength of the other affixes.
I have 150k dps with no LoH or LS but I'm okay with RD

edit: I just tried it again on MP7 against an elite with RD. Yep didn't have any problem
Edited by alikishi#1922 on 11/2/2012 7:43 PM PDT
I'm a glass cannon Wizard, with no armor, no resistances and no LOH.

With Hydra and 190k dps just imagine on mp6 / 7.

I'll pass on the suggestion.

This is the best kind of blue post. Sometimes, its really hard to figure out what feedback is actually getting attention.
u kno what i do. i just skip reflect. f em not worth the time dieing over and over again. i just go the other way. and sometimes even make a new game.....worst thing ever.
<<<
copy my build
i do mp10 without any problems
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]