Diablo® III

killing myself on reflect damage

Dear Blues...
You "could" make this whole thing a lot easier for many people, if you just put in a Legendary Belt with LL for everybody to use.

The Belt doesnt have to be ilvl.63.
The Belt doesnt have to have superb Stats.

Make it Level ~30 with somewhat useful stats.

70 Mainstat, 50 Vita, 50 Resi All... 3% LL... around those Lines.

There are so many Low Level Legendarys which are completly garbage & useless.
The only useful one i can think of is the Leorics Signet...and people actually farming for it...because its useful.
Edited by Xeno#2262 on 11/2/2012 8:45 PM PDT
We're also toying with the idea of changing Reflects Damage so that it has a duration and can only be activated by monsters periodically (rather than it always being active), but that's definitely not yet set in stone.

Interesting... reminds me of Iron Maiden in D2

Lylirra, I hope you get to see this. I have one request about RD if you guys do decide to change it to a specific duration as a casted curse: Please rename it to Iron Maiden. If only for nostalgic purposes. Thanks. :)

Edit: Highfive, Deathsession!
Edited by Kahlan#1609 on 11/4/2012 7:13 PM PST
We're also toying with the idea of changing Reflects Damage so that it has a duration and can only be activated by monsters periodically (rather than it always being active), but that's definitely not yet set in stone.

Interesting... reminds me of Iron Maiden in D2

They should change it to Iron Maiden!

Good idea. I love it mainly for nestalgia ;)

And maybe it could actually be a curse they cast on you. It could make a Spike ball float above your head.

Holy ****. Just noticed the above poster pretty much said the same thing! haha /Highfive.
Edited by Deathsession#1153 on 11/2/2012 8:56 PM PDT
We know Reflects Damage has been a little more challenging for some players in this patch, so we've been reviewing feedback regarding the affix pretty closely since 1.0.5 released. The actual values for the stat haven't changed at all and, in general, it seems like the issue for players is really just related to increased monster health thanks to Monster Power.

Since monsters have a lot more health in the higher MP levels, not only do fights last longer, but players need to do a lot more damage in order to kill their targets. Of course, that means there's a lot more opportunity for you to get hit with Reflects Damage. So, whereas before the patch, a player may have been able to kill monsters with the Reflects Damage affix no problem and with health to spare, now that fights are lasting longer that same player may not have as much success -- at least, not without making some adjustments to their build or gear.

That said, we do agree that we can make some improvements. For example, we'll be making it so that damage dealt by pets will no longer reflect back to the player. We're also toying with the idea of changing Reflects Damage so that it has a duration and can only be activated by monsters periodically (rather than it always being active), but that's definitely not yet set in stone.

I've noticed that using Zombie Bears vs. reflect damage packs = My death in under 3 seconds usually. And this is with 1100 LoH and 900 LPS. I do not have this issue when I use any other ability. I've tried Acid Rain, Firebomb, and Corpse Spiders and my health barely moves fighting reflect dmg mobs, but when I use Zombie Bears. Bam, dead in under 3 seconds every time.

Might want to look into it.

Thanks!
I have 150k dps with no LoH or LS but I'm okay with RD

edit: I just tried it again on MP7 against an elite with RD. Yep didn't have any problem

Legacy Nats why am I not surprised? Just another player with Fullofthemselfittus.
Edited by Stoneslammer#1524 on 11/2/2012 9:13 PM PDT
Couple of follow ups:

- Hydra and Sentry are technically "pets" (so to speak), so whenever we make the change to no longer allow pet damage to reflect back to the player, they'll be included too.

- If we do elect to move forward with having Reflects Damage be a duration-based affix, we'd also want to add a new visual for whenever RD is active.

When I cast Archon Arcane destruction, I kill myself hitting 72mil dmg. I had 1k res, 5k armor, 5.8% lifesteal just before archoning. I just don't think that skill is usable against rd. Maybe limiting the max returned damage to a % of your life might fix the problem.
DH got screwed over in 1.0.5 when reflect damage can no longer be dodged thus turning DH into a paper doll by removing their only defense since its a main stat. I find it laughable that removing the pets damage is a solution in anyway shape or form my boar ahh why bother...
learn to play.. DH here no gloom 130k+ dps less res to all then you RD is fine leave it alone
Edited by FiSH#1988 on 11/2/2012 10:07 PM PDT
11/01/2012 09:44 PMPosted by Lylirra
NOOOO, don't cave to these pussys.

If we feel like it's a change that will be better for the long-term health of the game, then we'll move forward with it. We certainly appreciate your thoughts and feedback on the matter in the meantime. :)

I just wish reflect dmg monsters have an aura or something so I can identify it before getting myself killed.

I'll pass on the suggestion.

Of all the constructive comments in this thread this is the one blue's decide to respond to. I find that infuriating.
DH got screwed over in 1.0.5 when reflect damage can no longer be dodged thus turning DH into a paper doll by removing their only defense since its a main stat. I find it laughable that removing the pets damage is a solution in anyway shape or form my boar ahh why bother...

the only way i die to RD is if i drop 2 sentries down on a pack of RD elites before i notice they are RD and even then i dont die i just pop smoke screen and run away from my sentries. so by removing the RD from my 2 sentries each putting out over 100k dps thats a big help right there and i will be fine and never even have to worry about affix's again

RD is fine right now as far as i care .. at least i actually have to look at the elites Affix's and adjust my play style slightly for them
One of the problems I think with rd is it's returning a % the damage dealt first then healing. So it's very hard to mitigate 1mil+ dmg if you're using burst dmg skills (300% & up wep dmg). Even with lifesteal & loh you'll be getting hit so hard for a milisecond after every hit. I still think limiting the max returned dmg based on your max hp is a good way to fix it or just remove the affix.
11/02/2012 10:10 PMPosted by FiSH

the only way i die to RD is if i drop 2 sentries down on a pack of RD elites before i notice they are RD and even then i dont die i just pop smoke screen and run away from my sentries. so by removing the RD from my 2 sentries each putting out over 100k dps thats a big help right there and i will be fine and never even have to worry about affix's again

RD is fine right now as far as i care .. at least i actually have to look at the elites Affix's and adjust my play style slightly for them

I have eaten today therefore world hunger does not exist.
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Couple of follow ups:

- Hydra and Sentry are technically "pets" (so to speak), so whenever we make the change to no longer allow pet damage to reflect back to the player, they'll be included too.

- If we do elect to move forward with having Reflects Damage be a duration-based affix, we'd also want to add a new visual for whenever RD is active.

Sigh... so the pressure got to you eh? You're actually nerfing a very manageable affix? Well, I hope that if you do change it to a duration-based affix, that you DOUBLE the amount of damage reflected during that duration. This still gives the whiners a window in which to attack with impunity, while hopefully keeping this affix good.

if you actully played a dh or a wiz with sentry or the hydra you'd find out that they do 100% of the dmg back to player it seems. and since it seems to me it bypases threw the resist somethings not working right when i can place 1 sentry and have 600+ all resist in low mp lvls with 40k hp and die instantly cause my sentry deals a crap ton of dmg.

now a good chunk of players having the issues with rd dont have LS/LOH & only reason being is DH & Wix dont really get items they use with LS/LoH enless its a rare roll unlike Barbs/Monks and dh very rarely has any wep with ls/loh infact its the one thing that cost dhs so much as its so rare compared to other classes . .

so enless they can oh idk tone it down they should fix or add something to passives giving them life steal we shouldent haft to rely on solely having shadowpower. its the one skill that is a must for rd packs or your toast even with little dps. so we are stuck having to actully give up a skill to just beable to actully kill 1 affix which is quite messed up.

just face it rd is going get nerfed get over it enless blizzard mans up and fixes the loot to be reasonable so we can oh idk get ls/loh on our weapons.... which note Manticores with decent DPS with LS Cost more then 500m. and theres little to none let alone 2 socket ones about so we are forced to using crap weapons/gear or using sp
I have 150k dps with no LoH or LS but I'm okay with RD

edit: I just tried it again on MP7 against an elite with RD. Yep didn't have any problem

Legacy Nats why am I not surprised? Just another player with Fullofthemselfittus.

lol and what's the problem with that?
armor and resistances you !@#$%^- noobs
90 Blood Elf Warlock
11/02/2012 10:10 PMPosted by FiSH

try fighting phasebeast that will do !@#$ since they can instant teleport every time you move as its part of there skill not affix . pb rd's are killer like you need to either somehow get 1 away from rest or yeah your toast and cloak wont save you 6secs or 12secs with sp if lucky on prep proc. the issue is being dh has no way to get loh/ls without using sp and other is sentrys do insane dps another is that some of us have said is of all the classes we are stuck to having to take 2-3 skills just for 1 affix which is total bs and messed up barbs have it easy ls/loh on belt passives+wep+rings+neck wiz has a skill with ls as well but they are in same boat they need ls/loh and the shield to beable to just kill 1 affix as dh as for monks rd is not hard for me since monks are more built as a tank then barbs will ever be rd was never an issue as a monk for me since resist alone buffed solo was 800+ and with a barb i was hiting 950. and to the people asking what resist RD is its Phys thats kinda why Phys gear for Dhs/monks has went up in price
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Dear Blues...
You "could" make this whole thing a lot easier for many people, if you just put in a Legendary Belt with LL for everybody to use.

The Belt doesnt have to be ilvl.63.
The Belt doesnt have to have superb Stats.

Make it Level ~30 with somewhat useful stats.

70 Mainstat, 50 Vita, 50 Resi All... 3% LL... around those Lines.

There are so many Low Level Legendarys which are completly garbage & useless.
The only useful one i can think of is the Leorics Signet...and people actually farming for it...because its useful.

or why not make it a ring or a gift belt for any player with 60 days of game time problem solved they could maybe /choose the stats it could be used by any lvl like hellfire 3% LS/LL Resist/Main Stat/Vit & something like Crit dmg or a socket would be far easyer
11/02/2012 11:01 PMPosted by Ángels

try fighting phasebeast that will do !@#$ since they can instant teleport every time you move as its part of there skill not affix . pb rd's are killer like you need to either somehow get 1 away from rest or yeah your toast and cloak wont save you 6secs or 12secs with sp if lucky on prep proc. the issue is being dh has no way to get loh/ls without using sp and other is sentrys do insane dps another is that some of us have said is of all the classes we are stuck to having to take 2-3 skills just for 1 affix which is total bs and messed up barbs have it easy ls/loh on belt passives+wep+rings+neck wiz has a skill with ls as well but they are in same boat they need ls/loh and the shield to beable to just kill 1 affix as dh as for monks rd is not hard for me since monks are more built as a tank then barbs will ever be rd was never an issue as a monk for me since resist alone buffed solo was 800+ and with a barb i was hiting 950. and to the people asking what resist RD is its Phys thats kinda why Phys gear for Dhs/monks has went up in price

RD is not phys returned it's the dmg type returned. So if u shoot a lightning ball, u'll need to stack lightning res. Try getting andy with 20% fire dmg & shoot a fire skill at rd.
We know Reflects Damage has been a little more challenging for some players in this patch, so we've been reviewing feedback regarding the affix pretty closely since 1.0.5 released. The actual values for the stat haven't changed at all and, in general, it seems like the issue for players is really just related to increased monster health thanks to Monster Power.

Since monsters have a lot more health in the higher MP levels, not only do fights last longer, but players need to do a lot more damage in order to kill their targets. Of course, that means there's a lot more opportunity for you to get hit with Reflects Damage. So, whereas before the patch, a player may have been able to kill monsters with the Reflects Damage affix no problem and with health to spare, now that fights are lasting longer that same player may not have as much success -- at least, not without making some adjustments to their build or gear.

That said, we do agree that we can make some improvements. For example, we'll be making it so that damage dealt by pets will no longer reflect back to the player. We're also toying with the idea of changing Reflects Damage so that it has a duration and can only be activated by monsters periodically (rather than it always being active), but that's definitely not yet set in stone.

As a mid range skill and gear player who spends a lot of effort in the game, I half agree with this. No reflect from pets = good. We've got no control over what they do, and it's awful to have to flee because you got hit by something, and now DoTs / pets may finish you off before healing can kick in. DoTs I can at least control better, pets I can't at all (a recall or return / passive control for pets would also work for this, but is a bit harder to implement I think). However, altering Reflect to a peroidic will likely trivialize it, you'd need to make the reflects hit very hard while active and how the game works it'll likely either be awful because it's hard to stop attacks fast enough, or something you can ignore.
Edited by Jaster#1966 on 11/3/2012 12:03 AM PDT

The RD values did change in that the chance to dodge reflect damage was removed. This adversely affected Demon Hunters and Monks more than the other classes, due to their main stat being Dexterity (Dodge) no longer being able to reduce damage taken by reflect, while the other classes main stats (Strength and Intelligence) still can via Armour and Resistances.

Making damage separate between players and pets will be a change that could again differentiate between classes significantly (for example Witch Doctors with pet builds), and hence I don't think it's the best approach.

I think changing Reflects Damage to be more like shielding, with duration and corresponding visual effect is a great idea, as this allows everyone an opportunity to play against RD smarter. I hope Blizzard goes down this path.
Edited by Intrepid#6929 on 11/3/2012 12:35 AM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]