Diablo® III

killing myself on reflect damage

@Lylirra Loved the Princess Bride Reference
iron maiden is easily identified and has always been the bane for ww barbs and many other heroes

I have no issues if the same mechanic makes a comeback, just make it damn sure there's a huge curse on my head before I engage like a tool :D
Community Manager
11/01/2012 09:48 PMPosted by BoSMud
How about just changing it so RD can be dodged like pre-patch and all problems solved....duh

You could never actually dodge Reflects Damage in the live game. The bug only existed in the PTR version of 1.0.5 (which was fixed before we released the patch), so the "we fixed it" line never should been included in the live patch notes. It was, however, correctly included in the PTR patch notes.

I can take the heat for that one.
Edited by Lylirra on 11/1/2012 9:57 PM PDT
Hello. Please also give turrets the same love as with pets for RD. Thanks.
11/01/2012 09:46 PMPosted by Supes1247
Here is a WISHFUL thinking suggestion from a monk...I would LOVE, really love if Dodge was once again useful against RD...may give me some incentive to use MoE again...and I would also love if SW didn't factor in the RD being dealt back to the player...it's like punishment for having it on when I run into a RD pack until I can just run away and let it die so I can fight the pack without the SW procing RD back at me.

Dodge, that has a chance of getting no damage or all damage, is not a solution here.
Just get rid of it. Reflect damage is to dps classes as enrage was to tanks. And enrage was removed because it was just stupid.
Like stated before, reflect damage with an elemental affix seems to give it an incorrect damage reflection.
11/01/2012 09:48 PMPosted by BoSMud
How about just changing it so RD can be dodged like pre-patch and all problems solved....duh

50% dodge there would be 50% of getting no damage and 50% of dying instantly. I rather have something else.
LOH doesn't work for some classes like wizards and DHs who have terrible terrible proc rates on their skills. It doesn't matter how much LOH they stack, at some DPS level, they will eat dirt from reflect damage.

That is the reason for the sudden outcry about LS appearing on only mighty belts because it is not proc rate dependent.

One possible solution is capping reflected damage at 20% of the player's current life. This means that if for example you can gain 1000 Hp per second, your health bar will hover at the point where the capped reflect damage is equal to life gained which is 5000 Hp. If you don't have the defenses, you are still going to die when you get hit. But if you are good at dodging (both in game dodge as well as player controlled dodging) you can avoid that last hit and kill the opponent without killing yourself in the process. For tankers there is no change because their reflected damage is unlikely to get to 20% of their current HP.
Edited by Wtflag#1258 on 11/1/2012 10:05 PM PDT
In my opinion, the existence of RD mobs actually limits class builds. Classes are forced to go all-out defensive. Those who choose not to, will get punished by Reflect Damage.

Moreover, this adds to the disadvantages Ranged classes already have. They were designed to stay a distance away from danger, but RD prevents that.
Edited by Hyral#1413 on 11/1/2012 10:13 PM PDT
Will we be getting information on the next patch soon (tm)? And will it be on 1.06 or 1.1?
You could never actually dodge Reflects Damage in the live game. The bug only existed in the PTR version of 1.0.5 (which was fixed before we released the patch), so the "we fixed it" line never should been included in the live patch notes. It was, however, correctly included in the PTR patch notes.

I can take the heat for that one.

Hahaha, glad a blue stated this now so some random noob who whines about RD can no longer be dodged can keep their mouth shut.
Community Manager
Despite having Reflect Damage being an everyday complain on General/PTR Feedback thread FOR MONTHS, despite realizing it's a bad design, nothing was discusses by the CMs til now. I didn't wanna complain about lack of communication but really :/

We certainly saw the discussions before hand and passed them along, but there were no plans for adjustments that we could communicate until now.
Reflect Damage makes ranged focus more on mitigation than actual "tanks." The barbs get their 3x life steal, which means wizards need 3x as much mitigation, or else they lose health where barbs would gain it. Add in the natural 30% barb mitigation for being barb, and now wizards have to stack 4x as much armor/mitigation.

The fact that life steal has such a tremendous impact on sustaining versus reflect is the crux of the problem, as it requires ranged to be more tank like than even melee characters.
11/01/2012 09:55 PMPosted by Lylirra
The bug only existed in the PTR

LOOL. all the people freaking out. hahahaha
for me its more on a strategy on how you deal with it. i use my barb and use belt with 20 melee reducing attack when i encounter ELites with RD . I dont know if it actually reduce it but i am surviving it more often.. the current RD challenges me.. just my two cents
We know Reflects Damage has been a little more challenging for some players in this patch, so we've been reviewing feedback regarding the affix pretty closely since 1.0.5 released. The actual values for the stat haven't changed at all and, in general, it seems like the issue for players is really just related to increased monster health thanks to Monster Power.

Since monsters have a lot more health in the higher MP levels, not only do fights last longer, but players need to do a lot more damage in order to kill their targets. Of course, that means there's a lot more opportunity for you to get hit with Reflects Damage. So, whereas before the patch, a player may have been able to kill monsters with the Reflects Damage affix no problem and with health to spare, now that fights are lasting longer that same player may not have as much success -- at least, not without making some adjustments to their build or gear.

That said, we do agree that we can make some improvements. For example, we'll be making it so that damage dealt by pets will no longer reflect back to the player. We're also toying with the idea of changing Reflects Damage so that it has a duration and can only be activated by monsters periodically (rather than it always being active), but that's definitely not yet set in stone.

NOOOO, don't cave to these pussys.

this
If you change reflect to be periodic like shielding, at least make it like Iron Maiden in d2 where if a person keeps attacking through it they might kill themselves, i.e. make it reflect 3x as much damage but only be up for 1/3 of the fight, so if a person isnt paying attention they stand a good chance of blowing themselves up when it activates.

Oh wait, I actually want to finish hardcore inferno at some point..forget everything I just said.
Edited by Oldboy#1827 on 11/1/2012 10:23 PM PDT
Give ranged 30% damage reduction to ranged attacks (which would include RD)

Why?

For melee, damage is unavoidable, so they have more skills that mitigate damage + 30% damage reduction.

For ranged, they are generally not supposed to take damage or very little because they are not built to sustain that much. They are built to take the mobs down before taking any damage or very little.

The problem: Reflect damage is unavoidable, and ranged does not have the skills to mitigate the incoming damage regularly like melee does.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]