Diablo® III

killing myself on reflect damage

Please just remove RD. Don't just tone it down to maintain pride (ahem.. 1 second identifying).

Nevertheless, I'm going to celebrate today. I've waited a long time for a blue to address this issue!
I think my problem with RD is when I get a horde pack of large hit box enemies (usually melee). This ensures that every attack of fists of thunder hits as many enemies as possible and all my tornadoes/cyclone are hitting as many enemies as possible.

I have no problems on packs where its 3 champs and they're all running away from me (wasps for example)

Maybe the discrepancy lies in how much damage is calculated from each source. More sources means I die super fast.
Thanks Lylirra. As a WD with high life, regen, and resists, I still get owned by reflect. It's by far the most annoying attribute. I have to slow my DPS way down to have any chance. However, then the game simply isn't fun because it takes forever to kill.

I think removing it from triggering on pet damage, and it noticeably turning on and off (so you have a time period where it's safe to burst DPS), are both great changes.

That said, we do agree that we can make some improvements. For example, we'll be making it so that damage dealt by pets will no longer reflect back to the player. We're also toying with the idea of changing Reflects Damage so that it has a duration and can only be activated by monsters periodically (rather than it always being active), but that's definitely not yet set in stone.

I just wish reflect dmg monsters have an aura or something so I can identify it before getting myself killed.

This. RD is tricky yes, but if we could identify elites with RD quickly, then we wouldnt 1 shot ourselves before we knew what was happening. Some sort of visual indication would allow us to swap to a LS/LOH weapon, or attack the elites with caution.
Reflect damage is a cancerously bad idea. It basically puts a price tag on a monster pack, IF YOU ARE NOT WORTH AT LEASE 100 MILLION GOLD GO AWAY.
Numbers pulled out of a hat but still, I could barely afford the manticore I have, theres no way for me to be choosy about whether or not it has life on hit or life steal.
I'm just lucky shadow power exists tbh.
i think demon hunters just as any other class should have at least 800 al res and some life steal at least on an off weapon to deal with an afix like this. i dont think it needs to be nerfed because although many demon hunters claim it is op the geared ones who forgo super high damage in favor of a slightly more rounded version of gear. Everyone could have insane damage if they did what most dh do. reflect damage is fine the way it is. its a strong afix but mostly a gearcheck.
Thank you. I have never.... NEVER cried for an easier challenge. But, reflect damage is stupid right now.

Doesn't matter if I'm MP10 or MP1... I can one shot myself. I'm melee and I'm not a glass cannon. I can stand in the nasties in mp10 and work them down... hit one pack of RD in mp3 and instant death.

Never seizes to amaze me how people without any knowledge don't hesitate to weigh in. It's amusing. More importantly than your own sufficiency... you concern yourself with others.

It's seriously flawed. I love a challenge... this is really an outlier. If you don't explode when you hit a pack of 3..... don't bother commenting. I love playing my monk and using movement for strategic attacks and well positioned defense.... it's fun and engaging. However, running around waiting for a my abilities to come off CD is neither strategic, efficient or fun. In fact, it makes serenity ANOTHER mandatory build. It makes life steal on BOTH weapons mandatory.
We know Reflects Damage has been a little more challenging for some players in this patch, so we've been reviewing feedback regarding the affix pretty closely since 1.0.5 released. The actual values for the stat haven't changed at all and, in general, it seems like the issue for players is really just related to increased monster health thanks to Monster Power.

Since monsters have a lot more health in the higher MP levels, not only do fights last longer, but players need to do a lot more damage in order to kill their targets. Of course, that means there's a lot more opportunity for you to get hit with Reflects Damage. So, whereas before the patch, a player may have been able to kill monsters with the Reflects Damage affix no problem and with health to spare, now that fights are lasting longer that same player may not have as much success -- at least, not without making some adjustments to their build or gear.

That said, we do agree that we can make some improvements. For example, we'll be making it so that damage dealt by pets will no longer reflect back to the player. We're also toying with the idea of changing Reflects Damage so that it has a duration and can only be activated by monsters periodically (rather than it always being active), but that's definitely not yet set in stone.

This is not true. My 1.0.4 and 1.0.3 wiz got pwnt by reflect when i had 110k dps
edit : made a thread about this before and people just called me cry babys.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6369527285?page=1

looks like it is a problem.. plz fix so i can play something diff then a monk or barb
Edited by CKTheBoss#1345 on 11/1/2012 11:09 PM PDT
Reflect damage only kills you if u r bad.

There are plenty of ways to manage it as a DH; it never kills me even using spikes and bola. If it kills you, play at a lower difficulty level or get better gear. It ridiculous to cry for everything to be nerfed. What fun will the game be if nothing is a threat?
11/01/2012 09:26 PMPosted by Lylirra

You know it hasn't been quite clear even since day one how Reflect Damage even functioned. So, thanks at least for the clarification. And I might add that this has probably been suggested since right around day one.
11/01/2012 09:26 PMPosted by Lylirra

This.

11/01/2012 09:30 PMPosted by onnow
I just wish reflect dmg monsters have an aura or something so I can identify it before getting myself killed.

I'll pass on the suggestion.[/quote]

And this have been suggested by by so many times. I read this and suggested both of these on the PTR feedback forum. Sometimes your players can give you good ideas if you listen to the best ideas and just consider them this game could be really great.
Don't forget about Hydra

it reflects damage and doesnt count towards lifesteal
Edited by Strifen#1543 on 11/1/2012 11:55 PM PDT
11/01/2012 09:44 PMPosted by Lylirra
NOOOO, don't cave to these pussys.

If we feel like it's a change that will be better for the long-term health of the game, then we'll move forward with it. We certainly appreciate your thoughts and feedback on the matter in the meantime. :)

I'll pass on the suggestion.

My biggest issue with Reflect Damage is that it's unavoidable. Pretty much any other elite affix that deals damage is avoidable. Molten, Mortar, Poison, Desecration, Arcane can all be dodged by simply side stepping the visual queues for it. There's nothing a player can do to avoid Reflect Damage. It just feels cheap as it is.

The idea of making it a casting spell on Elites with a cooldown and a visual queue so we can focus a different Elite that doesn't have it up, is awesome. It brings it back in line with the rest of the affixes that deal damage but can be avoided by visual queues in game.

This would be an EXCELLENT change to this particular affix.

Also, thank god you are removing pets from triggering Reflect Damage. It was awful that WD's had to take like 5x more RD cuse of pets. Can't tell you how many times I've died because I ran low HP, ran away and stopped attacking but my idiot Garg crit hit for 200k and killed me cuse of RD. So, very happy to hear that's going.
11/01/2012 09:30 PMPosted by Advocate
There's a strange issue with reflect damage and some other affixes. Mostly, reflect damage only hits for a small portion of my damage. But when its combined with the health link affix, the damage reflected shoots WAY up. There are a couple others I've noticed slight variations with, but that's the worst offender by far.

It's probably because you do damage to 1 target and lifesteal works only for this 1 target but Reflect works for all 3. Can we get a bluepost for this situation?
Edited by Immundissime#2657 on 11/2/2012 12:10 AM PDT
Reflect damage only kills you if u r bad.

There are plenty of ways to manage it as a DH; it never kills me even using spikes and bola. If it kills you, play at a lower difficulty level or get better gear. It ridiculous to cry for everything to be nerfed. What fun will the game be if nothing is a threat?

All other Elite affixes are avoidable if you aren't blind and can "not stand in the fire". Reflect Damage should follow this rule as well where if you're paying attention, you can avoid being hit by it.
I might be mistaken but I think the problem is, that reflected damage hits you before your life leech for example brings back your life. So I could basically one shoot myself allthough my life leech, 6 percent, would surely be enough to compensate but I am allready dead then. Happens to me when I use Wave of Light and it crits all mobs that have reflect.

Changing it in a way that both reflected damage and life leech happens at the same moment could be the solution for me.
Edited by stefanle#2946 on 11/2/2012 12:17 AM PDT
Just goes to show when you whine enough, everything gets nerfed.
We know Reflects Damage has been a little more challenging for some players in this patch, so we've been reviewing feedback regarding the affix pretty closely since 1.0.5 released. The actual values for the stat haven't changed at all and, in general, it seems like the issue for players is really just related to increased monster health thanks to Monster Power.

Since monsters have a lot more health in the higher MP levels, not only do fights last longer, but players need to do a lot more damage in order to kill their targets. Of course, that means there's a lot more opportunity for you to get hit with Reflects Damage. So, whereas before the patch, a player may have been able to kill monsters with the Reflects Damage affix no problem and with health to spare, now that fights are lasting longer that same player may not have as much success -- at least, not without making some adjustments to their build or gear.

oh god. I guess it's true. Cry enough and things will get nerfed.

Also, if pets won't trigger reflect damage what about hydras? Blizzard stated previously that they wanted to make hydras more enticing to play by increasing it's damage, but hydras don't gain any benefits such as proc LoH, Life steal and as far as I know our attack speed doesn't affect them as well. Although wizards take damage from reflect when a hydra hits.

Makes no sense.

Just an FYI. Reflect damage is not even that bad. It's just people complaining because they actually have to play the game instead of mindlessly derping around without a care.

Notice it's always the barbs complaining about Reflect, yet barbs have a skill that nullifies all Crowd control. You don't hear other classes complaining about how we have to dodge frozen or keep getting feared by nightmarish. We deal with it.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]