n/m figured it out!

Paper DPS: 129691k
Azmo HP: 25.7M (MP5)
Time to Kill: 25s
True DPS: 1028000
multiplicative DPS factor: ~7.9x

Holy crap, thank you WKL! :)

just check my profile

edit: I just realized how amazing this makes life steal, 1M dmg equates to about 5000 life steal with 2.7% lol nice!
Edited by BigTuna#1959 on 11/19/2012 10:36 PM PST
Reply Quote

I would also like to find out how much sweeping wind contribute to the overall DPS on a single target by testing the following
- punching with thunderclap only and use blinding flash as and when available
- thunderclap + blinding flash buffed sweeping wind.

haven't be able to contribute my own testing... getting pulled in a party to farm as soon as i come online =/

Just tried this for fun.

MP3 Azmodan = 13.1m HP
Unbuffed DPS w/ no follower: 112.6k
BW / FitL / Cyclone: 16.2 s
No SW: 30.8 s

My stopwatch skills are not the best, so perhaps a bit off, but saying SW contributes about half of your total DPS against a single target seems reasonably close to accurate.

FWIW my Crit Chance was 42% I think.
Reply Quote
I just did this test, but can someone explain the math for this? What do you do with the numbers once you have them because I don't think I'm doing this right lol, thanks!

Good point!!! I need to update the OP with how to calculate! (amongst other things)

This is what I need:
1 - Azmodan's HP
2 - Time to kill in seconds
3 - take 1 and divide by 2. This will give you your true DPS.
4 - take 3 and divide by your unbuffed DPS. This will give the DPS multiplier.
5 - Give me brief description of the build you use :) ie typical cyclone/combination strike/Won Khim Lau user/etc
Reply Quote

I would also like to find out how much sweeping wind contribute to the overall DPS on a single target by testing the following
- punching with thunderclap only and use blinding flash as and when available
- thunderclap + blinding flash buffed sweeping wind.

haven't be able to contribute my own testing... getting pulled in a party to farm as soon as i come online =/

Just tried this for fun.

MP3 Azmodan = 13.1m HP
Unbuffed DPS w/ no follower: 112.6k
BW / FitL / Cyclone: 16.2 s
No SW: 30.8 s

My stopwatch skills are not the best, so perhaps a bit off, but saying SW contributes about half of your total DPS against a single target seems reasonably close to accurate.

FWIW my Crit Chance was 42% I think.

great, can you test another set of scenario

using sweeping wind default rune or any rune that give 45% dps except cyclone. This would give us rough estimate the dps output the cyclones do at your crit chance.
Reply Quote
excellent thread, Master Weegee. +1

everybody vote this up and request! this needs to be sticky'ed for future monks' reference.
Reply Quote
Also, I need your help with another of its test,
Can you do this is process, and find out how to make the dps multiplicative factor to 6.66? (or very close to it)
perhaps by not using Breath of Heaven or not casting flash before sweeping wind.
I just need to know the result for the video documentary series, you will be given tribute to in the video. :)
Reply Quote
Also, I need your help with another of its test,
Can you do this is process, and find out how to make the dps multiplicative factor to 6.66? (or very close to it)
perhaps by not using Breath of Heaven or not casting flash before sweeping wind.
I just need to know the result for the video documentary series, you will be given tribute to in the video. :)

No worries :)
I'll have a go tonight. Not taking any work back so I can finally analyse this thread!
Reply Quote
Finally got around to doing this. Here are my results using Shenlong's Set:

Paper DPS: 187k unbuffed (with Follower forgot to dismiss)
Azmo HP: 36M (MP6)
Time to Kill: 25.4s
True DPS: 1.41M
multiplicative DPS factor: ~7.57x
Typical cyclone build used Overawe and Blinding Flash

Edit: Will try again without follower. Results almost identical.

Paper DPS: 180k unbuffed
Time to Kill: 25.7s
True DPS: 1.40M
multiplicative DPS factor: ~7.78x
Typical cyclone build used Overawe and Blinding Flash

Follower must have taken a meteor to the face in the initial run haha.
Edited by CaptainCarl#1923 on 11/20/2012 6:48 PM PST
Reply Quote
Thanks CaptainCarl...

And I must say. WHOA-MAMA. Love your monk with the Shenlongs. Most epic I've seen so far with that set :) Grats!
Reply Quote
Master Weegee, I added you, check your request list. ;R
Reply Quote
This is a nice, functional approach, but I think it's ignoring a few subtleties, including the effect of stacking DEX on your character, which depends on your starting DEX. I'm confident the real numbers can be worked out. As it stands, I can already calculate my real DPS for the following factors:

1. The 110% weapon damage from Fists of Thunder
2. The AOE damage from Thunderclap
3. My Sweeping Wind DPS
4. My Tornado DPS
5. The haste factor of Fists of Thunder (which I've approximated as 1.5x)

Eventually, I'll get around to testing the WKL and the standard buffs. If anyone here wants the information needed to calculate everything in that list, let me know.
Reply Quote
This is a nice, functional approach, but I think it's ignoring a few subtleties, including the effect of stacking DEX on your character, which depends on your starting DEX. I'm confident the real numbers can be worked out. As it stands, I can already calculate my real DPS for the following factors:

1. The 110% weapon damage from Fists of Thunder
2. The AOE damage from Thunderclap
3. My Sweeping Wind DPS
4. My Tornado DPS
5. The haste factor of Fists of Thunder (which I've approximated as 1.5x)

Eventually, I'll get around to testing the WKL and the standard buffs. If anyone here wants the information needed to calculate everything in that list, let me know.

yea i like the idea and i was testing it.. but i get a little upset with the result i am getting..
and killing ghom mp2 again and again is not fun.. lol!!
- I tested on EF+WKL and EF+RareFist (closest paper dps/stats paired with EF compare to WKL)

- Test 1 with FoT-TC only (w/o any buff)
- Test 2 FoT and SW (no rune) (w/o any buff)
- Test 3 FoT and SW - Cyclone (w/o any buff)

i will keep testing it if i have time..

some questions i have:
- as FoT is doing MH-OH switching, just wondering will be better to use 1h+shield instead of DW?
- i am still not quite clear about the SW 'snap shot' dps thingy, i think i may not doing it with the right way..
Reply Quote
To answer those last two questions:
  • Thunderclap switches attacks if you're dual-wielding, but it is still, at its core, a DPS-based stat. Your tornado DPS is essentially a function of your paper DPS, your critical hit chance, and the number of enemies you can hit with Thunderclap's AOE. Using a shield usually improves your CHD but decreases your APS. A spreadsheet can determine which set of gear is better. In general, however, I expect the DW setup to be better if the APS and DPS on each weapon is roughly the same.
  • When you activate Sweeping Wind, the game takes a picture of your character and your buffs. Primarily, the snap-shot functions on DPS, so buffs like Faith in the Light and Blazing Wrath will be counted when the game calculates your Sweeping Wind damage (and, by extension, your tornado damage, which is also set at the time of activation). As long as SW doesn't drop, the buffs stay in effect for SW and the tornadoes, even if they drop off your character . . . or switch weapons. I've read that lifesteal and such is also included in the snap-shot, but I haven't tested it yet. Also, because of the snapshot behavior, using the skill while your weaker DPS weapon is active will produce less damage than using it while your stronger DPS weapon is active. There are a few skills that reset your active weapon to your main hand, including Wave of Light. This issue doesn't exist for two-hand builds and S&B.

Hope this helps.
Reply Quote
Did a further testing to see the effect of WKL and certain builds (on MP5). I must say there's some lag as i press my iphone "start" before hitting azmodan. But at least the error should cancel out for difference comparison. No follower.

1) Cookie cutter build (Use combi strike as one of the passive), no WKL: 6.79 X
2) Cookie cutter build (Use combi strike as one of the passive), WKL (19%lightning): 9.13X

For me, WKL 19% gives a 34% boost to actual DPS. This makes WKL quite under-priced.

I also tested some of the dual-spirit generator builds that are getting some popularity (e.g. INVIS) . I swapped out serenity for deadly-reach:foresight. This is risky but ok once u have sufficient LS-DPS for that MP level.

3) DR:foresight (combi), no WKL: 8.51X

For me, this build gives a 25% DPS boost, which is roughly in-line with the foresight+combi strike bonus (24%)

For now, i have to stick to my WKL until i can get good ls on my EF.
Reply Quote
I think one of the flaws in this test is that you say to just attack whatever level azmo you can. That creates variance in your time of test which allows for differences such as how many times you got to use blinding flash.

I think you're better off setting a certain time to do dps, like 40 seconds, on a higher mp. Enough time to get 2 blinding flashes in, or 3, or whatever but a certain time, to keep it consistent among everyone.

And my 2 tests were 65m hp of azmodan on mp8 I think it was. 29 seconds and 21 seconds. Using a 18% wkl. 231k unbuffed dps, playing with 350k buffed. Below is my monk, can't post on it for whatever reason.

2.24m dps (29s)
3.09m dps (21s)

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Mathil-1368/hero/2949096
Edited by Runstyle#6436 on 11/21/2012 10:22 AM PST
Reply Quote
Won Khim Lau used

Paper DPS: 104k unbuffed
Time to Kill: 35.8s
True DPS: 1.006m
multiplicative DPS factor: ~ 9.56x
Typical cyclone build used.
Reply Quote
I'm necro'ing this thread as there have been two new threads about this.

so sue me.

I'll get a spreadsheet sorted with running totals of builds.
Reply Quote
Test set 1 - with Hellfire ring (higher dex and CHD)

Dexterity : 2618
pDPS : 168.5K
***APS : 3.36 (3.71 dagger hand / 3.08 Echo hand)
ChC : 40.5%
ChD : 329%

MP level : 8
Ghom HP : 70.6M
Time to kill : 38s

EDPS : 1.86M

EDPS:PDPS ratio : 11.08:1

Test set 2 - with rare ring (5.5 more CHC)

Dexterity : 2420
pDPS : 165.7K
*** APS : 3.36 (3.71 dagger hand / 3.08 Echo hand)
ChC : 46%
ChD : 296%

MP level : 8
Ghom HP : 70.6M
Time to kill : 35s

EDPS : 2.01M

EDPS:PDPS ratio : 12.13:1

Attack speed FTW? :D

Put this in the other thread too, but I think this will be good to have on the spreadsheet.
Reply Quote
Great thread Weegee! Let me know if you need a hand with anything. When I get home I will try and get you some more stats :P
Reply Quote
I am curious to try this, with a 37% bonus to Sweeping Wind Skill. But not today, too tired. :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]