Diablo® III

Pure Tank Mode

Was wondering if anyone else is trying or had tried it. But currently I have my monk built purely tanky. When i do runs with my friends/randoms all i do is AOE pull all the mobs to me so they are all stacked up while the dps mows them. I know i hurt the overall group dps but i contribute massive mob control which allows for faster killing via AOE. Thoughts?
Reply Quote
roll with a cm wiz = no need to tank, or a drastically reduced need to, what i've found running mp 9 ubers. tbh, a cm wizard will outperform nearly any monk/barb tank build. Its a sad state of a game when a wizard can out tank a melee.
Edited by Nicfit#1846 on 11/13/2012 12:30 PM PST
Reply Quote
We can tank fine, although you need to be very well geared for the higher MP levels.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the replys/tips. I wish they would put a taunt of some sort in the game to aggro bosses on you.
Reply Quote
You could alternatively try stacking a bunch of spirit regen with items that lower the cost of lashing tail kick, and using the skill Implosion. With enough spirit regen you could just pull everything into corners and then kick them until they die without being able to fight back. Not actually tanking persay but arguably more useful.
Reply Quote
Just curious what MP level are you tanking? Your LOH is ok but can you stand on molten/lasers at MP5 ?
Reply Quote
If your curious to what your ehp, or to what stat will benefit you the most for tankyness based on what you already have go to d3up.com, you can either duplicate your gear(takes a while) or you can in 10 seconds upload a character and have all ur gear and stats on there, and it will break down what will give u dmg, and ehp <--- easiest way to figure out what you need imo
Reply Quote
If your curious to what your ehp, or to what stat will benefit you the most for tankyness based on what you already have go to d3up.com, you can either duplicate your gear(takes a while) or you can in 10 seconds upload a character and have all ur gear and stats on there, and it will break down what will give u dmg, and ehp <--- easiest way to figure out what you need imo

Thanks, I only ask because my friend has more LOH than the OP and still can't stand on lasers and molten at MP5 for very long so I wouldn't consider him a tank. Guess I'm wondering how much LOH/LS/LPSS does one need to stand on molten/lasers all day. My cheapo barb can stand on that stuff all day at MP6 but my much more expensive Monk can't.
Reply Quote
Check out my current gear and build. Cyclone Strike w/ Implosion will get mobs on you. Works well on all but yellow elites, bosses/ubers, and goblins. Goblins and Yellow elites have a reduced chance to be pulled in but it can happen. Your goal is to aim for 100k dps while getting your EHP high. It is very hard to do.

There is a player that I molded my monk around Adam#3653

His battlenet profile has him at 218k damage. Diabloprogress has him at 120k damage and almost 3mil EHP. But he is also running hard target which if you do then you can't buff the party with 48% damage increase. You need to do this since you are running reduced damage.

Cyclone mobs in
Blind them
Buff Party
Watch elites melt while repeating Cyclone as needed

Just make sure you have a solo dps gear set because your friends wont always be on when you are.

Edit: I see people recommending dodge. You can get very close to 100% dodge with the right gear and spec....but there is a problem. You can't dodge arcane beam/molten/desecration etc. Thus this does not work.

Edit 2: I have also tanked MP10 with what I am wearing. The DHs love you for this build.
Edited by Cognus87#1684 on 11/13/2012 2:19 PM PST
Reply Quote
11/13/2012 02:43 PMPosted by n0rain
I was wondering if you could get a decent dodge chance without using skills?

You would prolly have to have some super high Dex...and I am sure there is a diminishing return in there somewhere. Wouldn't waste your gold trying.
Reply Quote
Dammit lol

I so wanted to be invulnerable!

You can....Serenity with Ascension....ok so it only last 4 sec. But you will feel like a barb while its happening. lol
Reply Quote
11/13/2012 12:27 PMPosted by Nicfit
roll with a cm wiz = no need to tank, or a drastically reduced need to, what i've found running mp 9 ubers. tbh, a cm wizard will outperform nearly any monk/barb tank build. Its a sad state of a game when a wizard can out tank a melee.

truth, and I have a tank WD !@#$ it.
Reply Quote
Let me show you what I was doing...

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#WcQjSf!VYb!cbZcYa

I had a stormshield and my relentless assault loh fist weapon. i was almost good enough to pull off TRing and pulling mobs around. This was solo mp2 act 3. I died from things like hobbling jailer and frozen too easy. i chalked it up to my 40% dodge chance. My issue is that I want to be able to stand in molten and lasers. I just get so frustrated that I am completely dependent on dodge when you can't dodge half the junk that gets thrown at you lol

If we could dodge everything but reflects damage I think it would be okay. I'm about to rant so i will stop.

If your trying to tank that build you posted will just not work. You need the passives to be up in their face.
Reply Quote
What constitutes a tank? How long should a tank last standing on molten and lasers at MP6? A few seconds or indefinitely until everything is dead?
Reply Quote
What constitutes a tank? How long should a tank last standing on molten and lasers at MP6? A few seconds or indefinitely until everything is dead?

With my current gear I am able to stand in up to 3 stacks of desecrate until my life starts to dip. Lasers are no problem unless your in a small space and they stack up. If that is the case move out and vortex them to you.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]