Diablo® III

Pure Tank Mode

11/13/2012 03:32 PMPosted by Cognus87
What constitutes a tank? How long should a tank last standing on molten and lasers at MP6? A few seconds or indefinitely until everything is dead?

With my current gear I am able to stand in up to 3 stacks of desecrate until my life starts to dip. Lasers are no problem unless your in a small space and they stack up. If that is the case move out and vortex them to you.

Ok, this is not really tanking to me because my Monk could do this and I don't consider him a tank. My barb on the other hand can literally stand on a lasers and molten all day in whirlwind, that's tanking. I do like my Monk better too bad he needs to be constantly zipping out of this stuff.
Reply Quote
I am a 100% tanker at heart. My sustain and tanking abilities are the first things I build up then I try to add dps. Hard part is doing both, helping kill mobs while still tanking for the group. If you get that balance, I don't think theres much that can beat it imo.
Edited by PLGhost187#1152 on 11/13/2012 3:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
11/13/2012 03:37 PMPosted by LuckyDog
Ok, this is not really tanking to me because my Monk could do this and I don't consider him a tank

It is because with Cyclone Strike w/ Implosion you become a tank. Definition would be a character that controls the fight, keeps mobs on them, and sustains through the damage. We also buff the damage of our party members.

By this definition your barb is not a tank....it was just able to sustain through the damage.
Reply Quote
I would say that the barb is a tank, as most are. He doesn't facetank, but he does tank.
Reply Quote
11/13/2012 03:45 PMPosted by Cognus87
Ok, this is not really tanking to me because my Monk could do this and I don't consider him a tank

It is because with Cyclone Strike w/ Implosion you become a tank. Definition would be a character that controls the fight, keeps mobs on them, and sustains through the damage. We also buff the damage of our party members.

By this definition your barb is not a tank....it was just able to sustain through the damage.

War Cry does buff everyone and I WW/sprint circles at the perimeter of the mob to keep them in place.
Reply Quote
Wizard tanking abilitys are zero when PVP hits. So when I think of the definition of a "tank" it's for both PVP and PVE. It is built like all traditional tank in all games. It has a high hp and mitigation. If you are indeed fully pledged on creating a tank monk I would suggest on checking out diabloprogress and look for top 100 EHP monks. Those are tanks.
Edited by Nicothology#1350 on 11/13/2012 5:02 PM PST
Reply Quote
I have multiple suits for my monk. My pure tank suit has the following stats..
175K hp, 1.1K res, 4K armor, 10K dps, 4.6K LoH, and 10 spirit/s regen.

With that suit I can tank a screen full of packs on MP10. No affixes bother me as long as I keep swinging. I use all spirit passives and OWE. No serenity needed either.

The problem I found is on higher MPs (9-10) the amount of dps I don't do negatively effects the team. I keep everyone alive just fine, but killing stuff starts to take forever. Pulling and party buffing works real good up to MP7. After that it doesn't work as effectively.
Reply Quote
11/13/2012 04:15 PMPosted by LuckyDog
War Cry does buff everyone and I WW/sprint circles at the perimeter of the mob to keep them in place.

War Cry does not buff dps and no WW does not keep things in place. GL with that.
Reply Quote
11/13/2012 05:02 PMPosted by Nicothology
It has a high hp and mitigation. If you are indeed fully pledged on creating a tank monk I would suggest on checking out diabloprogress and look for top 100 EHP monks. Those are tanks.

I had already done this. The problem is most of them have like 10k dps which is crap.

Adam#3653 was won of the best I found with over 100k dps and almost 3mil EHP. He is 33 in the world in EHP and ranked 4416 in DPS. Seems like a good balance to me.
Edited by Cognus87#1684 on 11/13/2012 5:34 PM PST
Reply Quote
11/13/2012 05:28 PMPosted by Cognus87

War Cry does not buff dps and no WW does not keep things in place. GL with that.

He works for me. Built him for nothing, tanks and farms better than my Monk and yours too.
Reply Quote
He works for me. Built him for nothing, tanks and farms better than my Monk and yours too.

Well now your getting off point and went into measuring other things besides your character....

I am not even going to continue this convo since it is pointless and you love your barb....there is a forum for that.
Reply Quote
11/13/2012 05:49 PMPosted by Cognus87

Well now your getting off point and went into measuring other things besides your character....

I am not even going to continue this convo since it is pointless and you love your barb....there is a forum for that.

I love my Monk more but the Barb is just better.

A buff is a buff and looking at your Barb, you don't know the mechanics of a WW build to comment on its crowd control ability.
Reply Quote
I thought you wanted a pure tank that's why i suggested searching by EHP. Along with barbs these are the preferred tanks of the game even with !@#$ty dps.

Anyway, if youre looking for balance that leads toward tank, I would suggest the "PVP dummy" rankings of diabloprogress. You can't have a high pvp dummy without high damage AND ehp.
Reply Quote
Lol look how many elite kills my barb has. I haven't played it since it hit level 60.
Reply Quote
11/13/2012 05:56 PMPosted by Cognus87
Lol look how many elite kills my barb has. I haven't played it since it hit level 60.

Exactly.
Reply Quote
I thought you wanted a pure tank that's why i suggested searching by EHP. Along with barbs these are the preferred tanks of the game even with !@#$ty dps.

Anyway, if youre looking for balance that leads toward tank, I would suggest the "PVP dummy" rankings of diabloprogress. You can't have a high pvp dummy without high damage AND ehp.

Barbs can't tank. Their taunt is ineffective and their vortex only pulls mobs a part of the way. Until they fix those two things all they can do is be an ineffective meat shield with low dps or be twinkle toe WW barbs.

I never tried looking at PVP dummy. Will check that out.
Reply Quote
Posted by Cognus87

Exactly.

Exactly what? I never played my barb so you saying I don't understand WW barb has nothing to do with tanking.....so your point is?
Reply Quote
Ok so the guy I pointed out is world 6th in pvp dummy. So yea he is still a good model of what a tank monk should look like.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]