Diablo® III

multiple licensed users on 1 'CD key' ... ?

**Everyone discussed in the following has purchased their own standard D3 license.**

I bought a (used) laptop from an extended family member, and it already has his D3 installed on it.

Question 1: can I play on that install just by typing in my account credentials or do I need to uninstall and re-install via my own account?

Question 2: once issue #1 above is resolved .... can my roommate, who also owns his own D3 license, play on that laptop too, just by putting in his credentials, or ............... ?

TY.
Reply Quote
The copy of D3 that is installed has it's own product key, which will be tied to the user's battlenet account, to provide accountability for your own actions and your own actions only.

Each person who has a key should also be using their own computer, so that they can be uniquely identifiable to the system, should something go wrong.

Theoretically, you SHOULD be able to log on to your D3 account from any computer that has D3 installed, but that key would then be associated with your account... if that person (or someone else so associated) uses any kind of cheat program, the implications may hit ALL people tied by that copy of D3 through the product key.

So, to answer question 1 .... yes, you can, but you should un-install and re-install using your legitimate product key, ESPECIALLY if your extended family member is still playing D3, as you will NOT be able to play at the same time.

And to answer question 2 ... yes, you can, but you will NOT be able to play together (since you are sharing a computer), and if you allow this, I hope that you trust each other quite well, to place your accounts in each others hands.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Every copy of D3 out there is the same, it does NOT have any ties to a key whatsoever. The key is ONLY used to create a Battle.net account.

You can go to any computer with the game already installed and log in with your credentials and it will work fine.

The answer to question 2 is yes as long as you both use your own login credentials
Reply Quote
Thank you for all responses.
You can go to any computer with the game already installed and log in with your credentials and it will work fine.

The answer to question 2 is yes as long as you both use your own login credentials
This is basically what I expected.

And yes, I expected there would be a conflict if we both tried to play on my key at the same time (me on my desktop and roommate on the laptop) but I expect the extra system will just be used for quick AH checks etc.

As for the points on cheating: sad and strange that we've reached a point where "expect cheats" is the norm, and maybe ppl think "everyone out there but me is cheating", but, don't worry, that's not the norm in this house. :P

TY again.

Follow-up question: will I now have to use my authenticator every time I switch systems?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]