Diablo® III

SoJ for farming/ubers. Worth it?

Does anyone have any experience using an SoJ to farm elites or against ubers? I am curious if the damage bonus outweighs losing Str/CC/IAS?
Reply Quote
It works well but only once you already have a solid, coherent build. Your crit damage is so low that I don't think you should be thinking about SoJ yet. I encourage you to look at a DPS calculator and see what happens if you replace the EF with a weap that stacks CD, and/or get an amulet with no LoH or IAS but high CD. I bet you'd end up close to 100k DPS and would be vastly better than adding SoJ to your current gear.
Reply Quote
Absolutely it does, and as your damage increases it becomes more valuable. What other ring are you going to get that can increase your damage by 20-30% and all of your black damage on your weapon by 5 or 6%? With optimal gear you can increase your damage by up to 36%, you won't find another ring capable of that.
Reply Quote
What % of your time do you spend doing Ubers at high MP levels?

I had a SOJ with 29% elite damage and hammer cost reduction. It was very nice for the uber fight, but the rest of my gear isn't really good enough to warrant keeping the SOJ, so I sold it to use for other gear upgrades. It didn't speed up elite kills enough to warrant keeping it.

I view SOJ like a luxury item you get once the rest of your gear to a very high level and you are able to use it all the time. And you do need to have 'black damage' weapons to make full use of the +x% elemental damage.
Reply Quote
soj is best in slot ring for ubers and farming in general unless you want to kill elites.
Reply Quote
So, the overall verdict is: If you have a 'Black" MH and your build can afford it, go with SoJ. As far as your suggestions, VeePow, that EF is just a place holder. I have 300m right now to spend and was hoping to get a good MH and possible small upgrades to my jewelry. The problem is, my playstyle is that I love LS and weapons that have LS+CD+OS are extremely expensive. I don't think I can get solid MH with everything I am looking for.

I have been considering getting a LS+OS+Str Sun Keeper lately at 900+ dps, which run 100-200m. Mostly because that is a nice boost to MF while still able to do some damage and have LS. However, SoJ wouldn't be the way to go since Sun Keeper isn't black dmg.

Any suggestions on what I should use as MH on a 300m budget? (keep in mind I am not sure I want to give up LS on MH)

Thanks for the help everyone.
Edited by Thorn#1116 on 11/9/2012 10:11 AM PST
Reply Quote
11/09/2012 10:10 AMPosted by Thorn
SoJ wouldn't be the way to go since Sun Keeper isn't black dmg

You still get some of the +dmg% of the SoJ on an elemental dmg weapon. You just don't get the full 5 or 6%. It makes sense to buy the best weapon you can afford, elemental vs. physical damage be damned. SoJ is worthwhile either way.

Don't get life steal on your main hand. You already have 6% on your gear, which is plenty once you reach 100k+ DPS. 300 mil will buy you huge DPS in the form high CD/STR/OS axe or mace. 300 mil will get a bleh lifesteal axe or mace with those attributes. You will probably get more healing with the non-lifesteal weapon because huge DPS+6% life steal is better than mediocre DPS+9% life steal.
Reply Quote
11/09/2012 10:34 AMPosted by VeePow
SoJ wouldn't be the way to go since Sun Keeper isn't black dmg

You still get some of the +dmg% of the SoJ on an elemental dmg weapon. You just don't get the full 5 or 6%. It makes sense to buy the best weapon you can afford, elemental vs. physical damage be damned. SoJ is worthwhile either way.

Don't get life steal on your main hand. You already have 6% on your gear, which is plenty once you reach 100k+ DPS. 300 mil will buy you huge DPS in the form high CD/STR/OS axe or mace. 300 mil will get a bleh lifesteal axe or mace with those attributes. You will probably get more healing with the non-lifesteal weapon because huge DPS+6% life steal is better than mediocre DPS+9% life steal.

Much appreciated! I will look into a high cd/str/os hammer/axe with good dps.
Reply Quote
Yeah if you have 300m sitting around you want to upgrade your weapons first. You'll get way more bang for your buck out of that. If you get to the point where you can't get 10% more dps/mitigation/EHP for the cost of a decent SOJ, then get the SOJ. Your damage on elites will go up ~15% and damage to trash will likely go down about 10%.
Reply Quote
worth it, DPS increases obviously on elites, you just swap the ring when you find elites
Reply Quote
I just started using an SOJ recently and I like it a lot. I don't bother swapping it out since white's die so fast anyway.

It works great with my build... just huge HotA hits with a skorn. 30% more dmg is pretty awesome.

I think I would switch back if I eventually can get a good Str/CC/CD/AS ring.... but that costs wayyyyyyyyy more than a SOJ.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]