Diablo® III

Dirt Cheap Monk - No gear over 5000 gold

(TLDR: You can make a Monk spending no more than 5000 on any one piece of gear.
See the gear here: http://imgur.com/a/BcuMt).

I've been amazed at the drop of prices in the auction house in recent times. There was a time when it was difficult to build a Monk on budget gear. In earlier patches, it was taken as gospel that you simply couldn't build a Monk to beat inferno without spending millions. I really don't think that was ever the case, although when I first beat Inferno, I only had about 10K in DPS and a ton of LoH, LpS and resistance and it was a real grind fest.

Well, whatever the case was in the past, I deceided I would try to see how things stand right now for our newest brothers just entering Inferno. There's been a few posts lately about building a Monk on a budget. I decided I would try to see what I could do for the absolute minimum. I set the bar at no more than 5000 gold per item (and no items for my follower).

The stats I wound up with (Buffed only by enchantress) are:
566 AR
5558 Armor
513 LoH
42K Life
26K DPS

I did a quick run and was able to play through to the Skeleton King and kill him on MP1 with no deaths, skipping no Elite packs. For the most part it was a cake walk. I originally intended to see if I could play through the whole game, but honestly MP1 clealy wasnt challenging at all.

Just for a sanity check, I killed Ghom. Then I killed Ghom and Diablo on MP3, just to be sure. For MP3, I used Keen Eye and Hard Target for major defense, so those two took a while (especially Diablo) but I was neever really in danger of dying.
Reply Quote
The thing that really amazed me the most was how little effort it took to do this. I didn't spend hours combing through the AH. I just picked a resistence, put in a max bid of 5000, a few key stats for each piece of gear and saw what came up. I looked for a weapon first, and then just searched for and bought gear more or less in the order of the drop down box.

I didn't spend significant time trying to see which piece of gear synergizing with others. I spent about 5 minutes checking to see whether having any critical hit and damage looked viable, and spent about 20 minutes total purchasing the gear.

You can see the gear I bought here: http://imgur.com/a/BcuMt

Mainly, I looked for Dex and Vit and Resistence (Poison or All) on all my gear. I was willling to sacrifice either Vit and Resistence on those slots whch have other, better bonuses that are only available on those slots:

+Damage (generally cheap on jewlery)
Crit Chance (only found it on the amulet)
Attack speed and Crit Damage on the gloves is generally the cheapest 2 of the trifecta.

It helps to keep in mind that certain slots have higher possible rolls for certain stats, so it will be cheaper to get those stats on those items:
Dex on Gloves and Boots
Vit on Chest and Pants

Finally, never discount the amount of armor you are getting on your gear. Higher is better I even got some armor on my amulet.

That's about it. I don't think that these results were particularly unique or that it took any significantl amount of cleverness to do this. I really do want to emphasize how little effort it took. Prices on the auction house really do seem to have come down to the point where Inferno and Monster Power are accessable to any Monk who reaches level 60.
Edited by Demiwraith#1534 on 11/10/2012 12:39 AM PST
Reply Quote
Bump for truth and the budget monk way!
Reply Quote
Just how games like Diablo work, game is based on farming and getting drops. So the more time that goes by, the more gear there is. The more time that goes by the cheaper everything gets.

The more time that goes by, the more nerfs to Inferno there is.

I can go on and on with this. XD

This isn't just with Monks btw, this is for any Class. Back in the day, it was all about who was able to farm Act 3 Inferno. Now its at the time where you want to try to get the best gear possible.
Reply Quote
Nice post man. It's good to see other players are challenging themselves in other ways instead of just playing cookie cutter, who can deal the most dps on character sheet epeen contest.
Reply Quote
View profile
Is this Guide/Info list worthy and up to date :) ?
Reply Quote
01/29/2013 09:04 AMPosted by KamelJabber

Nah. Not guide worthy. Just a response to the whole "Monks are too expensive to gear" stuff that that was going around at the time, and a little experiment I did. Piffle's Guide came out around then and really contains an actual guide to gearing.

If you're interested, though, there was a follow up post that I made a day later about lowering the bar making a Monk with no gear over 2000 gold.

I added these sets as well as a few others to Piffle's guide (Page 4 I think) as examples of how much gear with various total stats cost. Unfortunately, the actual values of gear, as well as what people are willing to list, changes over time. So exact result, especially at an asininely low end like this, are going to vary somewhat.
Reply Quote
11/12/2012 09:28 AMPosted by Teckno
Just how games like Diablo work, game is based on farming and getting drops. So the more time that goes by, the more gear there is. The more time that goes by the cheaper everything gets.

Unless you use something like "Ladder play" to wash out everything and reset an economy that will eventually become very unstable and probably not make the game fun anymore. But that idea doesn't work...does it?
Reply Quote
Looks very similar to the setup I had before MP levels came out. Started off at MP 4 and had very few difficulties, except that stuff was dying slowly. Only difference being that in those days it did cost me way over 5000 gold per slot. And to think of all that gold gone down the economy drain...
Reply Quote
View profile
01/29/2013 09:20 AMPosted by Demiwraith

Nah. Not guide worthy. Just a response to the whole "Monks are too expensive to gear" stuff that that was going around at the time, and a little experiment I did. Piffle's Guide came out around then and really contains an actual guide to gearing.

If you're interested, though, there was a follow up post that I made a day later about lowering the bar making a Monk with no gear over 2000 gold.

I added these sets as well as a few others to Piffle's guide (Page 4 I think) as examples of how much gear with various total stats cost. Unfortunately, the actual values of gear, as well as what people are willing to list, changes over time. So exact result, especially at an asininely low end like this, are going to vary somewhat.

ah,thanks for the reply!!!

Just fishing around the forums looking at fresh material for the guide/info list :)
Reply Quote
It's funny because I have basically been considering anything worth less than 500k not worth my time in the AH (it never tends to sell and takes up space). I either give it away or vendor it. I even set auctions to bid only at vendor price and stuff still doesn't sell (to the vendor it goes).

I am actually surprised at how many people don't want free stuff. I was hopping pub games the other day finding newbies (first character, just about to hit 60 or newly 60) and if I had something better than what they were wearing I was offering it to them for free. Only one person took the offer.

I think after reading this I may just try pricing everything that is not complete junk at 5 or 10k and see what happens. It isn't like I am listing complete crap (that goes to vendor as soon as I ID it). It's "too good for vendor, not good enough for AH". But right now I am broke, so every penny can help...
Edited by Sinafae#1771 on 1/29/2013 10:16 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]