Diablo® III

Bola Shot vs Hungering Arrow

This is just talking about a single-target situation.

Which one does more DPS? Which one has better proc rates with Nightstalker?

I am still using Hungering Arrow, but have had some DHs told me Bola still does more DPS to single targets. I doubt that actually, here are the charts for the single-target dmg rates of the various HA runes.

---> ∑(115 *.35^n), from n=0 to infinite. 115 is constant, pull it out.
---> 115 * ∑(.35^n), from n=0 to infinite.
This will give us the expected %weapon damage of no-rune hungering arrow. We can look at crit, cd, attacks per sec, and actual weapon damage rolls separately.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Expected damage: %wd only

Puncturing arrow: 115%, 50% chance to pierce
115 * ∑(.5^n), from n=0 to infinite.
pretty easy to calc ---> 230% weapon dmg
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cinder arrow: 115% + 35%, 35% chance to pierce & hit again, 150% per hit, NOT ALL
UPFRONT, I assume full burning dmg is done each time.
150 * ∑(.35^n), from n=0 to infinite.
another easy calculation ---> 230.8% weapon dmg
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shatter_Shot: 115%, 35%p, splits into 3 on successful pierce.
Single target: Only one of the three hits if only one target. That is, acts like no-rune hungering arrow. --> 176.9
Full efficiency ---> limited by number of mobs, etc. Can go into more detail if you want.
Devouring Arrow: Each pierce does an addition 70% dmg.
Two ways of thinking of this: 1) 115% + 70%PerPierce
2) 115 x 1.7 per pierce

1) 115 x ∑[.35^n x (1+.7n)] from n=0 to inf. ----> 243.6%
2) ∑[(115+70n) x .35^n] ------> 234.9%
I find that (1) is more likely to be the mechanic than (2)... I dunno.
Spray of Teeth: 115%, 35%p, crits cause 50%wd in area.
Single Target: ∑([115+(50*CritChance)] x .35^n), n=0 to inf //50 is the 50%wd from rune
10% CC ----> 184.6%
20% CC ----> 192.3%
25% CC ----> 196.2%
33% CC ----> 202.3%
40% CC ----> 207.7%
50% CC ----> 215.4%
100% CC ----> 253.8%

I didn't do this maths. Came up in a google search, but it is consistent with the other HA calculation threads I found.
Edited by Fieryeel#6328 on 11/17/2012 11:35 PM PST
Reply Quote
I used to use Devouring Arrow but switched to Thunderball for the stunning effect. Honestly, if I could have both I would. I prefer Devouring Arrow for single target but making my way to the single target makes it easier with Thunderball. Still, I noticed Thunderball was slightly weaker than Devouring Arrow on single targets.
Reply Quote
Dat Math.
Reply Quote
Bola imminent doom is the best DPS hatred generator. Hungering arrow is close and can win in lucky situations.

I didn't use math I used real time data.

P.S. where is your math for bola?
Reply Quote
Bola/thunderball is pretty much the best for ubers and upper MPs for it's utility. I can't count how many times I have stunned Rak before he does his super duper spinning plate attack (you can't deal damage if you're dead). For lower MPs and farming, hungering arrow with spray of teeth has been great for clearing large groups quicker than bola.

But yes, devouring arrow does beat out just about everything for single target damage if that's all you intended to prove.
Reply Quote
Bola imminent doom is the best DPS hatred generator. Hungering arrow is close and can win in lucky situations.

I didn't use math I used real time data.

P.S. where is your math for bola?

It's straightforward with Bola.

Imminent Doom - 216%
Everything Else - 160%
Reply Quote

Imminent Doom - 216%
Everything Else - 160%

Go test it if you do not believe. Bola will do more dps than hungering arrow. I was trying to hint that your math was misleading.
Edited by ForFun#1742 on 11/15/2012 11:09 PM PST
Reply Quote

Imminent Doom - 216%
Everything Else - 160%

Go test it if you do not believe. Bola will do more dps than hungering arrow. I was trying to hint that your math was misleading.

Tested.

I found SoT to be more powerful.

Do tell me why u feel otherwise.
Reply Quote
I use both. They both have their uses in different situations.

But mainly, I like the Bola because it is a great confetti maker.
Reply Quote

Tested.

Well because your math shows you need over 50% cc for SoT to even come close. Also I have tested every hatred generator for single target dps. Imminent doom had the best average and the highest single run dps. I have ran the experiment 100's of times. I have also asked friends to experiment; they replicated my results.

IMO it is possible that you did find HA better; however I would have a really tough time explaining HA having a better average than bola over 100's of runs.
Reply Quote

Tested.

Well because your math shows you need over 50% cc for SoT to even come close. Also I have tested every hatred generator for single target dps. Imminent doom had the best average and the highest single run dps. I have ran the experiment 100's of times. I have also asked friends to experiment; they replicated my results.

IMO it is possible that you did find HA better; however I would have a really tough time explaining HA having a better average than bola over 100's of runs.

I have 55.5% crit. At that amount, SoT slightly goes over Imminent Doom's 216%.

I am using a +14 HA quiver, so that then gives HA its edge to me.
Reply Quote
The two second delay on immiment doom just annoys me.
Reply Quote
on a DML having +%damage bola shot is cheaper than HA, if u rich ignore that.

To me, bola shot is best for farming, i been having a lot of fun switching between runes (volatile explosives, thunder ball, and imminent doom), and finding myself surviving much better than before.
Reply Quote
I just cant stand the delay for Bola... must be something wrong with me lol.
Reply Quote
I like bola shot! Although I do understand why hungering arrow is the staple. Just a play style preference.
Reply Quote
just play with bola more, and you will learn to love it lol. i hated bola at first because of the delay, but for ubers that thunderball stun is very useful so i tried to work it into my normal farming build. now im loving it lol, you cant describe how happy you are when u have imminent doom on a elite and it walks right into mobs lol
Reply Quote
werd,

bola is the shiznit. =D

purple confetti everywhere.
Reply Quote
in lower MP when an arrow can one shot mobs, bola is overkill and the delay is a deal breaker. for MP7+ I'd give the edge to bola since that mob will take lots of shots anyway, might as well pile on the damage.
Reply Quote
I've run with both... Mouse1 - HA/SoT. Mouse2 - BS/TB. Any kind of hatred (re)generator and this technique seems to provide unlimited hatred! Then click Mouse Wheel and boom! CA/LfB

Someone told me EA/BL was better though so I'm currently giving that a go... also not bad results so far.
Reply Quote
Nice maths. Reminded me of pchem lol.

TRUE single-target dps for HA is almost certainly higher because it (virtually) never misses it's target, whereas bola misses say 10% of the time. Overall dps the nod of course must go to bola imminent doom because the splash is just insane. Thunderball has amazing utility.

Ultimately, it's playstyle preference, but I felt WAY underpowered going back from bola to HA when I tried a cold SOJ for the snare. I did NOT snare many mobs! :O
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]