Diablo® III

Staying paused through disconnects

Today I was playing my hardcore barbarian. I was casually 1-hitting white enemies on mp10, no troubles in the world because I had been playing safe the whole time. I noticed the game start to lag so I paused it. About 20 seconds later I get disconnected from the game, but my character is seemingly fine in my character list. Another 10 seconds or so pass and I get disconnected from my account. I log back in and my character is dead.

I understand how hardcore is a game mode where unforeseen circumstances outside of the game can and will end with your characters being killed, and there's nothing you can do about it. That being said, the game is able to be paused to make your life easier, and I'd really like to see a patch that fixes the issue of computer crashes and internet drop-outs ending characters.

In the 50+ hours it takes to get a hardcore hero to 60, at any point in that time your computer/internet/power has to fail but one time. If it does, then it's likely to be repeated the second play through.

Long story short, would it be possible for Blizzard to add in a patch where the game automatically pauses and is able to be resumed when the connection between the client and server is broken? I see no reason for people with the money to afford flawless internet and computers and personal power generators should be given such a huge advantage in hardcore.

This would in no way undermine the achievements of any players who don't get crashes/disconnects/power outs, because they obviously didn't have to deal with these issues if they are successful in hardcore.

I see the only disadvantage of this to be the effort on Blizzard's part.
Reply Quote
problem with log out asap as you dc is that people will dc purposely if they get into nasty situation and almost die.
Reply Quote
Putting a game into like a save state mode that would put you right back to where you lost connection and paused and ready to go would be cool, though would be impossible to really do something like that in multiplayer .. and even single player I find it hard to comprehend how they would add it in but would solve both problems with people being D/C'ed and also at the same time stops the death logging, everyone wins.

Reality is that it is probably not going to happen, but is nice to dream about. :P
Reply Quote
Diablo 2 was much better about D/C.. Heck you can even exit the game instantly if you got yourself in a jam.
Reply Quote
Putting a game into like a save state mode that would put you right back to where you lost connection and paused and ready to go would be cool, though would be impossible to really do something like that in multiplayer .. and even single player I find it hard to comprehend how they would add it in but would solve both problems with people being D/C'ed and also at the same time stops the death logging, everyone wins.

Reality is that it is probably not going to happen, but is nice to dream about. :P

They need to do what SC2 does for multiplayer where it pauses the game for everyone if a player's lagging/disconnected. Maybe even increase the time the game is paused to 120 seconds to give a little bit more time for players to reconnect since the stakes are so much higher than SC2 where it might only cost you one game.
Reply Quote
11/15/2012 09:18 PMPosted by LTpain
problem with log out asap as you dc is that people will dc purposely if they get into nasty situation and almost die.

...and the problem with your post is that you didn't read the OP...

He said nothing about "log out asap," He (as well as dozens of others) have suggested that Blizzard auto-pause the game in the event of a disconnect, and when your connection is reestablished, you resume where you with the game paused in the same spot.
Reply Quote
11/15/2012 09:18 PMPosted by LTpain

Did you even read what I wrote?

This is pretty much what I'm suggesting, except I know that if Blizzard chose to do it they could.

Just to clarify, I'm not suggesting some easy way to avoid from dying when you legitimately screw up. This is for when you legitimately play within your means and don't take any unnecessary risks and something unexpected and uncontrollable happens.

If you have a 2 second lag spike and die, you deserved it.
If you are interrupted or distracted while playing and die, that's unlucky but you can take steps to avoid that happening the next time around, or just avoid playing hardcore when it's likely to happen, or just pause the game.
If you're in multiplayer and you lag out, you can just have you allies peel for you and/or kill the enemies attacking you, and if you are playing with allies that don't have your back, or can't save your life with their abilities, that is your problem.
If your mouse or keyboard battery runs out, you should have put new batteries in before starting.
If you thought your character was tough enough to fight enemies with the gear you had, and it turns out you weren't, try again with better gear.

What I am suggesting this for is the times when you are taking the game slow and not taking risks, and out of nowhere your computer crashes, or your internet drops out, or your power goes out. Nobody can ensure these thing's won't happen, and it takes 1 time in your hardcore character's life for something like this to happen. I can't afford, nor would I expect many people that play Diablo 3 to be able to afford set-ups where their computer never crashes, their internet never lags, and their power never stops. Thus it is always going to be an issue for players, and it's an issue that can be fixed if Blizzard chose to fix it.

There are so many reasons that people die on hardcore that are their fault, directly or indirectly. I feel these 3 things can't be avoided, but could be counteracted by good programming on Blizzard's part.

In the situation where my last hero died, if I was able to cast 1 Rend, every enemy around me would have died and in the 2-3 seconds it'd take for them to die, I'd have lost maybe 20% of my maximum health.
If the same situation happened, and a new disconnecting mechanism that saved my position and situation was already in place, I could have been on 15% health when I unpaused and I'd still have survived.

Any given player could take hardcore very slowly, grinding areas over and over and only moving on when they get next to no experience, and re-gearing their hero every level up, and if they disconnect 1 time at any point in the game, at any level or area, they could find their character dead when they log back in. At no fault of their own, when they're taking no risks, and when they're taking the game painfully slow, they'd lose all the hours they put in to the game.
If you die from something like that, you didn't lose a challenge, you didn't slip up and make a mistake, you didn't learn anything that can help you improve.

I'm never getting my dead heroes back. I accept that, and I have no choice but to do so. Dying from a disconnect when I did nothing wrong, and can do nothing better or different the next time around is sad, and I know it happens to others.

I enjoy playing solo and public hardcore. This is a suggestion that I think would improve the game, and I don't think it's a dumb idea.
In Diablo 1 and 2, you could play single player, and pause and leave mid-combat. People even had 'chicken buttons' (not me) for Diablo 2 to insta-log any time to avoid death. Blizzard removed these mechanics because they were being abused. You can't abuse automatic pausing.
Reply Quote
Bump
Reply Quote
Many have suggested this, including myself. And I still think it's a good idea. However, I think that two things should happen:

1) This should only apply in Hardcore

2) This should only work for 10 minutes (or some other arbitrary time limit that they come up with). If you don't return online in that time, the game resumes as normal, and of course, you probably croak.

These two would insure that the amount of extra server stress caused by this is minimal and practically negligible. I realise that, because of 2, you can still get screwed by problems that happen to your connection and take more than 10 minutes to troubleshoot. However, it would remove the vast majority of DC deaths.
Reply Quote
The more people who have suggested it, the more valid it is for being added.

I don't think it should have a 10 minute time limit. Blizzard kind of dogged us by not allowing single player (which is probably to avoid piracy), but they can fix it by allowing the game to be paused and saved on disconnects for hardcore. Instead of having the server keep your game open, it would be better for your current game to be saved and recreated when you go back to play. Rather than new enemies being rolled during loading screens, it would instead recall the enemies as they were before disconnecting. The limitations reside with the 10 character limit per account.

Diablo 3 is going to need a fair few changes, and I think this is one of the most needed. They created a problem by disallowing single player, and I don't think this would be unreasonable.

I've played and finished the single player campaigns and played online for Diablo 1 (not Hellfire sadly), Diablo 2 + LOD, Starcraft 1 + BW, Starcraft 2 (not expansion yet), Warcraft 1, Warcraft 2 + expansions, Warcraft 3 + TFT, and even World of Warcraft (I stopped after the pre-cataclysm patch). All of these games have extremely well made (especially for their time) single player (except WoW), and I'd hate to see Blizzard neglect Diablo 3 after their company has been known for such well polished games for so long.

If they can't fix a problem like this, I'd hate to see what HoTS and possible D3 expansions would turn out like. I'll keep my hope that Blizzard will make D/C deaths a thing of the past.
Reply Quote
I feel your pain
Reply Quote
I think that "save on pause/dc and resume" is probably a huge change and wont happen. The game only has checkpoints at select points and when you resume the game doesn't save any state info other than your progress.

A more likely change would be to allow for instant disconnects/exits. No 10 seconds before you die or whatever it is. Yes, that will get abused by some people but I think its a change that will benefit more honest people than dishonest people. Dishonest players can still work the system TODAY and get a rollback.

1) Make a Monk or WD

2) Get an extension cord for your cable, have the attachment sitting on your lap

3) Get to 30 (WD) or 58 (Monk).

4) Congratulations, you are now a Softcore character playing in the HC realm. You will dominate the market.

Even if only a small fraction of people do this, these are the people that will dominate all of HC. Rollbacks are a tedious, risky process, and each account is only allowed two. This is infinite lives, and many people who aren't willing to risk rollbacks will still do this. And how long will the more honest players be able to play their normal way, before they realized that they are being crushed in the market by cord-pullers, and they have no other way to advance but to resort to the same thing?

Even if there was no NDE or SV, this would be bad. Deaths in D3 are not nearly as sudden as they are in D2, they're more like checkmate deaths, where you got yourself into a trap, and you see your death coming. The day they implement your suggestion is the day HC dies.
Edited by Bottle#1907 on 11/16/2012 4:15 AM PST
Reply Quote
I think that "save on pause/dc and resume" is probably a huge change and wont happen. The game only has checkpoints at select points and when you resume the game doesn't save any state info other than your progress.

A more likely change would be to allow for instant disconnects/exits. No 10 seconds before you die or whatever it is. Yes, that will get abused by some people but I think its a change that will benefit more honest people than dishonest people. Dishonest players can still work the system TODAY and get a rollback.

Blizzard is one of the biggest and best gaming companies out. They have the resources to make this change. It's not like we're asking for them to add an extra Act in the game filled with Transformers.

Instant disconnects would be a poor way to fix this issue. Like Bottle said it would be abused way too much. I'm not here to advocate abusing glitches or getting and kind of unfair advantage, or making the game ridiculously easy. I'm trying to make it a more level and fair playing field so that people in any demographic have a fair chance to succeed in hardcore. My suggestion wouldn't change any gameplay, it would only let you resume from where you left off when you disconnected, and the 10 second logout would remain.

They made the choice to take away stat points and skill points to make their game more simple and easy, with the options left wide open for builds. They also removed single player. It's gone with no real benefit to replace it with. I don't think it'd be too much to ask for them to come up with a solution that will fix this issue.

I avoided playing hardcore on Battlenet on Diablo 2 for the simple reason that their servers were too laggy and too prone to crashes, so I played hardcore on single player, and softcore on Battlenet. I no longer have the choice, like I no longer have the choice to keep my character every time I disconnect.
At least if the servers were just laggy I could play, because if you play smart and gear right it won't matter. I have lag spikes when I play, it doesn't stop me because the enemies I choose to fight don't do any real damage, but as soon as I disconnect I lose my character.
Reply Quote
would be ok idea. if i understand you correctly, it would give you like 30 seconds to reconnect, and if not then you go through the 10 seconds of disconnect hell.

and just to be that guy. leveling back up to 60 should never take 50 hours, maybe on your very first time, but generally it only takes like 10-20 at most
Reply Quote
TInstead of having the server keep your game open, it would be better for your current game to be saved and recreated when you go back to play. all the enemies as they were before disconnecting.

You do realize that the 'leave the game instance running, but paused' has a lower implementation barrier than 'save the whole game instance', right?

There's nowhere (that I can tell) where they are currently saving the world at all. Last player leaves, that world is gone. So asking for it to be saved is asking for what 'pause it and leave it running' is asking for, but also likely asking them to implement an instance save that does not even currently exist.

If they do implement something, what are the odds that they'll implement the harder thing to implement?

If I were making the choice as someone with the power to make the call, there is no way in hell I'd say 'let's add an instance save' *just* to give some kind of DC protection.

My point is basically: keeping it as simple as possible if you want to up the odds that they'll do something (even though it appears right now that the odds of them doing something is very low, you don't want those odds to be *lower*, do you?)
Edited by Anomie#1322 on 11/16/2012 6:38 AM PST
Reply Quote
11/15/2012 08:54 PMPosted by MiTHMoN
In the 50+ hours it takes to get a hardcore hero to 60

I'm not sure on your play style and i'm not flaming you at all, but just curious as to why it takes you 50+ hours to achieve 60 in hardcore.

I level a character to 60 in 15-20 hours playtime max on mp10. 20-25ish without monster power enabled.
Reply Quote
Diablo 2 was much better about D/C.. Heck you can even exit the game instantly if you got yourself in a jam.

yah... cheat the system. That falls in line with the "yank the ethernet cord out NOW" people...
Reply Quote
2) This should only work for 10 minutes (or some other arbitrary time limit that they come up with). If you don't return online in that time, the game resumes as normal, and of course, you probably croak.

These two would insure that the amount of extra server stress caused by this is minimal and practically negligible. I realise that, because of 2, you can still get screwed by problems that happen to your connection and take more than 10 minutes to troubleshoot. However, it would remove the vast majority of DC deaths.

+1
Reply Quote
I see no reason why this can't or shouldn't be done. Their servers know when you've lost connection. I can hit escape at any time and it pauses the game. Why can't it just "hit escape" for me when it detects a disconnect and remain that way, and when I return, I "return to game" and continue where I left off? I can't imagine this takes many (if any) resources as I have left the game, as I'm sure others have, in the pause state with this menu.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]