Diablo® III

Staying paused through disconnects

11/16/2012 09:22 AMPosted by TheSherm
Diablo 2 was much better about D/C.. Heck you can even exit the game instantly if you got yourself in a jam.

yah... cheat the system. That falls in line with the "yank the ethernet cord out NOW" people...

I have no idea where you supposedly quoted that from, but it wasn't this thread. If you've ever played Diablo 2 you'd know that if you pressed Esc and clicked Save and Exit, it would eject you from the game. People set up macros (not me though) that would instantly leave the game when you press a certain key. It's not plug pulling, it's a game mechanic of Diablo 2 that was abused by some people (for PvP more than anything else, both hardcore and softcore). I said I did not agree with bringing this mechanic back into Diablo 3.

The reason I suggested saving the game was because some problems can't be fixed in 10 minutes. If your area was hit by a cyclone or some such disaster, yeah it isn't your highest priority to worry about your hardcore character, but it would be nice to know that when you're down the game mechanics don't kick dirt in your face. Power outages and some serious computer crashes don't fix themselves in under 10 minutes.

That being said, any effective fix to help the situation is a good fix.

Also, about the time it takes to get to 60 in hardcore, I estimated. Since I don't have a level 60 hero in hardcore (like it matters to this thread) because every time I disconnect and die from it I get discouraged from playing hardcore. I value my time, and it feels bad to put hours into something to have my internet drop out and lose all of my progress.
Reply Quote
Yea auto pause would be awesome
Reply Quote
11/16/2012 11:59 PMPosted by MiTHMoN

yah... cheat the system. That falls in line with the "yank the ethernet cord out NOW" people...

I have no idea where you supposedly quoted that from, but it wasn't this thread. If you've ever played Diablo 2 you'd know that if you pressed Esc and clicked Save and Exit, it would eject you from the game. People set up macros (not me though) that would instantly leave the game when you press a certain key. It's not plug pulling, it's a game mechanic of Diablo 2 that was abused by some people (for PvP more than anything else, both hardcore and softcore). I said I did not agree with bringing this mechanic back into Diablo 3.

The reason I suggested saving the game was because some problems can't be fixed in 10 minutes. If your area was hit by a cyclone or some such disaster, yeah it isn't your highest priority to worry about your hardcore character, but it would be nice to know that when you're down the game mechanics don't kick dirt in your face. Power outages and some serious computer crashes don't fix themselves in under 10 minutes.

That being said, any effective fix to help the situation is a good fix.

Also, about the time it takes to get to 60 in hardcore, I estimated. Since I don't have a level 60 hero in hardcore (like it matters to this thread) because every time I disconnect and die from it I get discouraged from playing hardcore. I value my time, and it feels bad to put hours into something to have my internet drop out and lose all of my progress.

You do know the crybabies will never be satisfied right? A 10 minute pause will still lead to people coming here to cry. You know it so why should Blizzard even do something like that? Better they do nothing and the crybabies will just realize they are wasting their time crying the just stop playing.
Reply Quote
+1
No reason to not pause the game. I think 10 minutes is reasonable, and I can't imagine that others in your game would be too put out by it..they have the benefit too if they get DC'd.
Reply Quote
Why should there even be a time limit when playing single player?
Reply Quote
Like I said, it would be better if there was no time limit, but the issue is it's extra work for Blizzard's programmers if they chose to add it in.

I think if they just left the server open and automatically paused in the game on disconnects, 1 minute per level of your character would be reasonable (1 minute for a level 1 disconnecting, 60 minutes for a level 60 disconnecting, etc.). Even if your computer exploded in Inferno, you'd still have an hour to find another computer to at least attempt to save your hero.

@REVENGE
If you read the thread, I explained why I want something like this added. I don't think you have any right to call a person a crybaby because they try to come up with a solution to their problem. I didn't come here to cry, I didn't come here to be trolled by the scum of the internet, I came here to attempt to have Blizzard's staff recognise a legitimate issue with their game that can be legitimately fixed if they chose to fix it. Blizzard has the resources to make this fix, and if this fix were added the game would be more fair to people with bad internet connections or those with other physical issues relating to their computer.

It wouldn't make the game any easier or different to people who don't disconnect or have computer crashes. It would just make hardcore a more level playing field to those who do.

Also, I don't think this should be added for multiplayer, only solo. Like I said, if you disconnect in multiplayer your team can save you, and if they can't it's because you made a bad call as to who you chose to team up with.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]