Diablo® III

Auction flaw: the bid 3secs before the end

More and more people make bids when 1-5 secs left before auction ends. As result you dont have a time to make a higher bid - the auction is ended.

Let me show you how to exploit it:
1. find your lot in AH
2. click on search every second and watch your clocks with seconds, when the time is changed from f.e. 30mins to 29mins before the end, mark the seconds on your clock when it changed.
3. click make a bid
4. put there max gold value you are ready to bid.
5. press CTRL+C
6. click cancel the bid
7. watch your clocks with marked seconds
8. when ~5sec left before the end, click on make a bid
9. press CTRL+V
10. click OK

The solution: as in real auction: if lot leader was changed less than 60 seconds before the end, reset the timer to 60sec again.

Example:
lot: sword, current price - 100k , buyout - no.
player1 is the leader on this lot and made 500k bid.
30secs left before the end:
player2 makes a bid 200k - current price grows up to 200k, player1 - still the leader (timer is not reset)
5secs left:
player2 makes a bid 600k - current price grows up to 600k, player2 - is the new leader (timer should be reset here to 60sec).
60secs left:
now player1 has a time to make higher bid or disregard this lot.

the main Idea: Auction timer should be reset to 60sec every time when lot leader is changed.
Reply Quote
Solution:

Bid the max amount you are willing to pay, and bid it with less than a minute to go.
Edited by Drayven#2543 on 11/16/2012 6:12 AM PST
Reply Quote
it's proxy bidding
Reply Quote
Bid the max amount you are willing to pay.

the Auction timer - 32hours, when I made a bid I had f.e. 100k of my gold, after ~24hours, my gold increased up to 900k, I have more gold, but dont have a time to answer on new bid.
Reply Quote
the Auction timer - 32hours, when I made a bid I had f.e. 100k of my gold, after ~24hours, my gold increased up to 900k, I have more gold, but dont have a time to answer on new bid.

Your lack of wealth and time occurred the AH to have a flaw ?

Someone, HELP ME !!!!

Edit:

Man, this is the same auction system as eBay. Go tell eBay that his Auction System is flawed 1st.
Edited by PureLaine#1705 on 11/16/2012 6:24 AM PST
Reply Quote
11/16/2012 06:15 AMPosted by Alec
Bid the max amount you are willing to pay.

The real problem here are your own expectations. You can't bid a lowball offer on the premise that you only have that much gold, then be surprised when you get outbid at the end and complain that the system is flawed.
Reply Quote
There are pros and cons to it.

If you bid at step 5 your max amount, then people who want to have the lead and don't know how things work will bid up the price quicker (assuming they are willing to outbid you at all). However, if you put your bid in at step 10 as you did, you bypass these people and get the item cheap (potentially).

Since the price of the bid can only go up with time, adding more time when people outbid each other has the inarguable effect of raising the item's sale price (certainly it cannot DECREASE sale price).

So adding time favors sellers because it has a tendency to increase sale price. On the other hand, the current system favors buyers since it is possible to outwit people that don't know how the auctions work. Also everyone has a less clear idea of the value of the item because bids are deliberately withheld until the end to exploit this phenomenon. The system that favors buyers is more susceptible to being gamed by shrewd users, whereas the system that favors sellers is relatively immune to being gamed by anyone on either side.

Should people have a benefit for knowing the pecularities of how the AH works? If so, the current system does not have any serious problem. If not... well then maybe a suggestion like the OP's makes sense.
Edited by Polaris#1903 on 11/16/2012 6:31 AM PST
Reply Quote
sometimes you make mistakes and put lower bid than you could, but you dont have a time to re-bid - because the time is over. Using my proposal the item will be sell for the real price, but not to the player/bot who will make the bid faster than me.
Edited by Alec#2540 on 11/16/2012 6:41 AM PST
Reply Quote
system works perfect, problem between keyboard and mouse
Reply Quote
Another person who doesn't understand proxing bidding. /tinfoil hat
Reply Quote
View profile
Solution:

Bid the max amount you are willing to pay, and bid it with less than a minute to go.

That's not the point of bidding
Reply Quote
View profile
Car auctions have this feature. If someone makes a bid, the auction dude waits a bit until someone else makes a bid. It's not like there is a timer and the last person who makes a bid within the time, wins. Blizzard should give this idea a go.
Reply Quote
its no freaking exploit or flaw. its just the way how all auction house works. Same goes if you go ebay.

Sniping is a common AH practice. So just bid you max amount you are willing to pay else move on. Amateur bidders....
Reply Quote
Solution:

That's not the point of bidding

What's the point of bidding if not to win a particular item for a reasonable price that you determine to be equal to or less than that item's value to you?

I certainly don't want to bid early and help drive the price up, that defeats the point and undermines my goal as a buyer.
Reply Quote
I'll take Proxy Auctions for $2000, Alex.

*boop boop boop-boop-boop*

The Daily Double!
Reply Quote
More and more people make bids when 1-5 secs left before auction ends. As result you dont have a time to make a higher bid - the auction is ended.

Let me show you how to exploit it:
1. find your lot in AH
2. click on search every second and watch your clocks with seconds, when the time is changed from f.e. 30mins to 29mins before the end, mark the seconds on your clock when it changed.
3. click make a bid
4. put there max gold value you are ready to bid.
5. press CTRL+C
6. click cancel the bid
7. watch your clocks with marked seconds
8. when ~5sec left before the end, click on make a bid
9. press CTRL+V
10. click OK

The solution: as in real auction: if lot leader was changed less than 60 seconds before the end, reset the timer to 60sec again.

Example:
lot: sword, current price - 100k , buyout - no.
player1 is the leader on this lot and made 500k bid.
30secs left before the end:
player2 makes a bid 200k - current price grows up to 200k, player1 - still the leader (timer is not reset)
5secs left:
player2 makes a bid 600k - current price grows up to 600k, player2 - is the new leader (timer should be reset here to 60sec).
60secs left:
now player1 has a time to make higher bid or disregard this lot.

the main Idea: Auction timer should be reset to 60sec every time when lot leader is changed.

another complainer because he lost a bid that he wasnt willing to pay the right price for. such a loser
Reply Quote
It doesn't matter when you bid. Just bid what you are willing to pay on it. If someone goes into a bid war with you then both of you HAVE NOT BID THE MAX YOU ARE WILLING TO PAY! Whoever won should have just put their final price in initially & then there would be no bid war. There is no drawback to bidding early if you BID THE MAX YOU ARE WILLING TO PAY. Then if you don't win, you weren't willing to pay more than that anyway.
Reply Quote
It does matter when you bid ;)

If you bid near the auction end and you have the HIGHEST bid, the other ones are not able to outprice you ;) (thats the only reason for me to bid within the last 10 seconds and i can accomplish that with a watch :))

At least i make it so, when the auction end is when i am playing the game.. ;)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]