Diablo® III

Auction flaw: the bid 3secs before the end

11/18/2012 12:10 AMPosted by spideyboy
If you think an item is worth 50 mil, put down 50 mil, but dont complain when someone puts down 51 mil.

DUDE the ENTIRE POINT OF AN AUCTION... is to NOT PAY WHAT YOU THINK ITS WORTH... Thats why its called -AN AUCTION-

Only a complete and total idiot would immediately bid what they think an item is worth. Just because your maximum bid isn't flapping in the wind for eveyrone to see doesn't mean its not easy as hell for someone to increase it to that amount. As soon as you 'bid the max your willing to pay' you've not only laid all your cards on the table you pretty much threw them in the air and gave the dealer all your money. All someone has to do is get a friend or alt account to jack up the price of that item to waaaaay more than it would have gone for had it increased gradually like a regular auction.
Reply Quote
View profile

DUDE the ENTIRE POINT OF AN AUCTION... is to NOT PAY WHAT YOU THINK ITS WORTH... Thats why its called -AN AUCTION-

Wow. Has no one anywhere taken econ 101? The entire purpose of an auiction is to increase the price for the SELLER (duh!) by providing competition of many buyers over an item.

If you wanted to drive prices down for the BUYER you would minimize the competition by making it hard for sellers to find multiple buyers. You would have NO AUCTION HOUSE.

Good god I guess it's no wonder an entire generation elected a potus that doesn't understand basic economics - he has a built in base of morons.
Reply Quote
This is still a problem? I'm guessing someone "sniped" an item you are hoping for.. Too bad.
Reply Quote
Why are there so many bads in this thread that does not understand how the AH works?
Reply Quote
the ah bidding system is fine, op is just angry he didn't put enough for max bid and got outsniped more than once.
Reply Quote
Seems like people don't understand how the bidding works, if u put in a Max bid of 30mil ur not "bidding" 30mil, u will bid in increments UP TO your max bid, so last second sniping is pointless, if u put up 2mil last second and my Max bid is 8mil and current bid shows 1.8mil, I'll win at like 2.2mil and get refunded the rest... It's not a terribly hard concept ^.^
Reply Quote
i didn't go thru the whole thread but i'm surprised chrisloup didn't jump in on the first page
Reply Quote
Extending time is not solution.

Then people would repeat bids.

1st person bids 10 gold. 2nd person bids 15 gold before end. Timer is extended.
1st person now bids 20 gold. Timer is extended.
2nd person bids 25 gold. Timer is extended. And so on.

This would actually cause more damage to health of those geeks because people would be even longer on AH, cycling their bids making people even more frustrated.

What we see now is people who are awake till 5am just for bid sniping. Bid sniping would not be resolved, it would be just extended as the timer.

So, whole purpose of bid is what people told above.
Your highest price you are willing to pay. If someone bids more it means he wins. If he snipes you and you think its unfair because you wanted to pay more you are wrong.

Why didnt you bid for more? You think you will spare some gold? Difference between previous bid and your own as higest bid is returned to you.

So if previous bid was 10 gold. And yours is 30 gold. You will get ~20 gold back. I think.

In other words. System works fine.
Reply Quote
Here's a real problem with bidding.

Say I bid 1m on something. Then later I change my mind and I want to bid 1.5m, but all I have on me is 0.5m. I cannot up the bid by simply adding on my gold, I have to have 1.5m in hand in addition to the 1m I already put down.
Reply Quote
Just bid the maximum you are willing to pay the first time. Problem solved.

If someone outbids you than so be it.
Reply Quote
11/18/2012 05:18 AMPosted by tigerija
Then people would repeat bids.

let them trade, what's the problem here?

1st person bids 10 gold. 2nd person bids 15 gold before end. Timer is extended.1st person now bids 20 gold. Timer is extended.2nd person bids 25 gold. Timer is extended. And so on.

again, who cares?
seller - watch how his lot growing up in arithmetical progression from min to min, seller can put minimal bid to exclude very low increment.
buyers - have a time to trade, no sniping
blizz - have more %

11/18/2012 05:18 AMPosted by tigerija
Why didnt you bid for more? You think you will spare some gold? Difference between previous bid and your own as higest bid is returned to you.

you missed the point, re-read this thread carefully.
Reply Quote
11/18/2012 06:33 AMPosted by babinro

12h left: you have X money
1min left: you have Y money (money from selling lots for last 12h)

X>Y

as you can see if I make a bid with all my money when 12h left. Then when 1 min left and I am the leader I cannot increase my bid to be (X+Y). If somebody snipes you 3sec before the end, you do not have a time to make new bid(X+Y).
Edited by Alec#2540 on 11/18/2012 6:44 AM PST
Reply Quote

If someone outbids you than so be it.

That would be great, and thats the way it SHOULD be if it was an invisible auction. Each person makes one bid, there are no updates, and at the end of the auction, whoever bid the most wins the item.

But with the auction updating, and another person being able to continuously increase their bid to the point where they can see exactly what you bid and beat that bid, bidding 'the max your willing to pay' is the worst thing you can do. #1, you've just knocked the price up to that maximum price, and #2, Anyone who decides they want that item, can just keep increasing their bid till they see that they've outbid you. All you've done by bidding the maximum your willing to pay is just basically handed your money to the seller.

When you see something you say to yourself hmmm I'd like that item for as cheap as possible... but I'm willing to pay XXXX amount IF it gets up to that point. If you just go ahead and put up XXXX to start with, you've basically just paid that for the item... basically nullifying any reason for having an auction to begin with. The only way that is going to work to your benefit is if it turns out no one else wants that item, AND the seller happens to be honest and isn't going to use an alternate account, or a friends account to jack that price up. All your doing by bidding your maximum is just handing that amount to the seller.

Thats what people are saying in this thread. The way the AH works now, the only way to not hand the entire 'purse' to the seller is to snipe it. People coming back and saying just bid the maximum your willing to pay don't have a clue as to how auctions work. That is giving a huge advantage to the seller. If AH's worked that way in real life, there wouldn't be any auctions because no one would be interested.
Reply Quote
Solution :

B more pro in bidding n b rich be4 u wanna bid something LOL!
Stop complaining and just face the fact
Reply Quote
I am sorry if I did not read thread carefully enough.

But all in all I think Blizzard will never chance how bidding works. Tho maybe I might be wrong.
Either way I'm fine.

I guess adding that request as a feature would not hurt anyone. It would just help some.
Reply Quote
They should not implement this, or else I will hv to resort back to grinding my char in inferno...

I just sinpe whatever with my max bid in the last 3-5second, usually 1/4-1/2 of what the items value is at...

win it, sell it on AH for 80-90% of its actual value, The best I got was I managed to buy a Mempo with 5.5cc for 95m, due to some AH downtime.. and sold it for 850m.

I can make more money in a day than you grind in whole 400 hour.

L2P.
Edited by richDDT#1912 on 11/18/2012 7:49 AM PST
Reply Quote
It wouldn't break the current system to allow bidders to increase their maximum bid currently in escrow without having matching funds on hand. The fact of the matter is, there is a clear workaround, which is to abstain from bidding your "best and final offer" until all funds have been gathered.

As has been pointed out in this and many other threads, professional auction hunters will avoid showing their hand until the last minute anyway. Thus, for buyers making optimal use of the system, your "problem" ceases to exist.
Edited by truthseeker#1278 on 11/18/2012 8:08 AM PST
Reply Quote
To be fair, QuiBids has an auction system with a timer, and it works pretty darn well.
Reply Quote
It's amazing after all this time how many people still don't get proxy bidding.
Reply Quote
11/18/2012 07:53 AMPosted by Tallenn
It's amazing after all this time how many people still don't get proxy bidding.

I gave you concrete example, how is proxy biding related to that ? give me a favor to explain.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]