Diablo® III

Auction flaw: the bid 3secs before the end

Good idea. I agree with you OP. If anything, this benefits the seller of an item a lot, which I think is a good thing since they get taxed 15% anyway.
Reply Quote
How about if D3 like D2 that each season reset all players property , then every rich guy become nothing again and everybody need to level their characters again, everyone happy :)
Reply Quote
sorry but you just need to bid the max amount that you're willing to bid on, doesnt matter if its last 5 sec or 5min
Reply Quote
11/18/2012 07:50 AMPosted by dignifiedpal
To be fair, QuiBids has an auction system with a timer, and it works pretty darn well.

QuiBids uses a different model. Not only does it have a timer, you have to buy bids. It's really more like gambling.

The reason proxy bidding is popular with online auctions is that you don't have to be present when the auction ends. Extending auctions defeats that purpose.
Reply Quote
11/18/2012 09:01 AMPosted by rogerwtf
sorry but you just need to bid the max amount that you're willing to bid on, doesnt matter if its last 5 sec or 5min

the max bid value depends on the time when you make a bid, agree?
Reply Quote
Just bid the maximum you are willing to pay the first time. Problem solved.

If someone outbids you than so be it.

That would be great, and thats the way it SHOULD be if it was an invisible auction. Each person makes one bid, there are no updates, and at the end of the auction, whoever bid the most wins the item.

But with the auction updating, and another person being able to continuously increase their bid to the point where they can see exactly what you bid and beat that bid, bidding 'the max your willing to pay' is the worst thing you can do. #1, you've just knocked the price up to that maximum price, and #2, Anyone who decides they want that item, can just keep increasing their bid till they see that they've outbid you. All you've done by bidding the maximum your willing to pay is just basically handed your money to the seller.

When you see something you say to yourself hmmm I'd like that item for as cheap as possible... but I'm willing to pay XXXX amount IF it gets up to that point. If you just go ahead and put up XXXX to start with, you've basically just paid that for the item... basically nullifying any reason for having an auction to begin with. The only way that is going to work to your benefit is if it turns out no one else wants that item, AND the seller happens to be honest and isn't going to use an alternate account, or a friends account to jack that price up. All your doing by bidding your maximum is just handing that amount to the seller.

Thats what people are saying in this thread. The way the AH works now, the only way to not hand the entire 'purse' to the seller is to snipe it. People coming back and saying just bid the maximum your willing to pay don't have a clue as to how auctions work. That is giving a huge advantage to the seller. If AH's worked that way in real life, there wouldn't be any auctions because no one would be interested.

You are the biggest ignorant troll I have seen on these board?First off CLEARLY you have never won a auction before otherwise you would shut your mouth and think a bit before you even begin to type so let me explain a few things to you.

Auctions are NOT SIMPLY FOR LOWBALLING...Why do you think many world setting records are ALL AUCTIONS?Simple because auctions are simply worth what the buyers determine and the rarer the item the more people are willling to pay..I've seen items shoot up to 2 bill in a matter of minutes.

You will almost ALWAYS get a refund and end up paying less if your willing to bet your maximum, your noob if you think someone out there including the last bidder is willing to go full payout price on a auction they are trying to snipe...unless said item is extremely rare in which case auction is not necessary and buyout price should be set.

Lastly my buddy has made over 1 bill off this simple strat and I have save 30-40 mill at least on my gears which now have deflated tons...No one listen to this troll clearly he has no clue wtf he is talking about otherwise he would not be here talking.

Lastly WHO THE HELL WOULD AUCTION if it means your guarantee to be low balled you ignoramus.

P.S In before this troll picks out 1 point while ignoring every other valid point because he has no way to answer.
Reply Quote
11/18/2012 09:02 AMPosted by Dralix
Extending auctions defeats that purpose.

you are wrong, it will change nothing to fair buyer. But will kill snipers.
Reply Quote
11/18/2012 09:04 AMPosted by Alec

the max bid value depends on the time when you make a bid, agree?

If you expected to have more funds coming in before the auction ended, and expected to be available to bid (as you've described) then the problem is you bid too early.

Acquire your funds, then bid.
Reply Quote
11/16/2012 06:15 AMPosted by Alec
Bid the max amount you are willing to pay.

HELP I DONT LIKE BIDDING I JUST WANT TO BIN FOR 100k
Reply Quote
11/18/2012 09:06 AMPosted by Alec
Extending auctions defeats that purpose.

you are wrong, it will change nothing to fair buyer. But will kill snipers.

Proxy bidding is not broken. Sorry if its not working out for you.
Reply Quote
11/18/2012 09:10 AMPosted by Dralix

i am not saying that it's broken, it has the flaw.
Reply Quote
If you expected to have more funds coming in before the auction ended, and expected to be available to bid (as you've described) then the problem is you bid too early.Acquire your funds, then bid.

agree partly, because I could get unexpected funds. As I said before as workaround adding feature "increase your bid" would satisfy all the people. But having auto-prolong auction is more excited.
Reply Quote
11/18/2012 09:21 AMPosted by Alec

i am not saying that it's broken, it has the flaw.

Flaw is kind of a synonym for broken isn't it?

Proxy bidding is not flawed. Sorry if its not working out for you.

11/18/2012 09:26 AMPosted by Alec
If you expected to have more funds coming in before the auction ended, and expected to be available to bid (as you've described) then the problem is you bid too early.Acquire your funds, then bid.

agree partly, because I could get unexpected funds. As I said before as workaround adding feature "increase your bid" would satisfy all the people.

I guess there are tradeoffs, even in the AH. Try to farm more funds first, then make your bid. Seems simple to me.
Reply Quote
11/18/2012 09:01 AMPosted by rogerwtf

While I agree with that, I don't see the harm with his suggestion. Why should the auction end if people want to keep bidding?
Reply Quote
11/18/2012 09:34 AMPosted by Scala

While I agree with that, I don't see the harm with his suggestion. Why should the auction end if people want to keep bidding?

There is no need to keep bidding. The AH system does that for you.
Reply Quote
11/18/2012 09:37 AMPosted by Dralix

There is no need to keep bidding. The AH system does that for you.

Yes, but people change their mind all of the time. They put in 5 mil and then they see that they are outbid. If they have 5.5 mil total, they might want to keep bidding. People change their mind in the heat of the moment. I see no reason to stop them.
Reply Quote
I see no reason to stop them either, so long as they do it within the allotted time.
Reply Quote
11/18/2012 09:32 AMPosted by Dralix
I guess there are tradeoffs, even in the AH. Try to farm more funds first, then make your bid. Seems simple to me.

ok i got your. But let me show you another example:

I am hunting for mara amul with bonus to energ.twister skill. I found mara amul that I am ready to buy for all my money. I spent ~30 mins to find that because AH search does not work on uniq skills affixes. I made a bid to see that amul in my lot tab(put all my money 12h before auc ends). I am the leader for that lot until 5sec to the end(i've got anothe money from selling lots and ready to add it to my bid), then somebody kills my bid and won, I dont have time to increase the bid. So what can I do here? Obviously I need ability to increase my bid or ability to mark a lot to see it in my lot tab, to be able to make a bid on last seconds, agree?
Reply Quote
The auction system is perfectly fine...
Reply Quote
11/18/2012 09:52 AMPosted by Alec
So what can I do here?
. If you think your available funds are too low, then you can wait for your auctions to end before placing your bid.

I know, its a gamble, and it may not work out for you. Consider it a life lesson.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]