Diablo® III

Auction flaw: the bid 3secs before the end

YES SOMEONE CAN BID MORE, BUT IF YOU CAN SIMPLY HIT BUYOUT ON ANOTHER AUCTION FOR CHEAPER THAN THE GUY WHO "BID MORE" THEN WHO ACTUALLY WINS HERE?

There is NO reason to pay MORE for something than you half to. If you dont put your ACTUAL max bid, then its your fault if you lose the item.

ONE MORE EXAMPLE....

I see an item I want. I DO THE RESEARCH and see that I can BUYOUT that item for 50mil, but I also notice there is an auction where another poster has a bid LOWER than the buyout price.(Actually, lets stop right there, because maybe im assuming too much. Are you idiots actually looking to see if you can BUYOUT the same item beforehand?)

So, the current bid is 12mil, and id pay the 50mil buyout, but would obviously rather get a better price, if possible....so.....

I PUT MY MAX BID AT 50MIL

Auction ends, some guy SNIPED MY BID!!!111oneoen

Oh, wait, I can JUST BUYOUT ANOTHER AUCTION FOR THAT SAME 50MIL, THE BID SNIPER OVERPAID LOLOLOL WHAT A DOUCHE
Reply Quote
11/18/2012 11:41 PMPosted by Mith

That would encourage it to be more like a standard auction where the price gradually increases, and would ultimately hurt 'business' for people who are trying to move what they consider to be high end items. They like it the way it is where you are encouraged to 'bid the maximum your willing to pay' thereby allowing them to more easily control the prices that things are selling for.

You do realize that for every person wishing they had time to bid higher when they are outbid at the last second, the seller has been screwed out receiving a higher bid and making more money?

No he has not been screwed out of more bids. Your suggestion would make it so that people would HAVE to be there at the end for who knows how long if they want to bid on an item. Is it so hard to understand that the way the system works is you bid the MAXIMUM you're willing to spend, ONCE and then you're free to go about your business not having to worry about being there for the end of an auction you're interested in? Tell me this, what happens when an auction gets extended past when you have to leave for work, or school, or have to go to the bathroom, or go to bed or...but you wanted to bid more?

Anyone "wishing they had more time" should have figured out how much they were willing to spend the first time.
Reply Quote
You do realize that for every person wishing they had time to bid higher when they are outbid at the last second, the seller has been screwed out receiving a higher bid and making more money?

Complaining about snipers when there's a "max bid" and "buyout" option there is stupid.

11/19/2012 12:03 PMPosted by shreloche
Anyone "wishing they had more time" should have figured out how much they were willing to spend the first time.

This and for sellers, they can just put a start-up price higher if they wouldn't like to sell it for cheaper.
The current AH system is fine (except they need to stop the clock during downtime like maintenance, etc.)
Reply Quote
11/19/2012 09:00 AMPosted by babyfool
There is NO "absolute maximum price that people willing to pay" in this virtual game world. The price is related to what other people are willing to pay. So if I bid 12m to start with but then if there are others willing to pay for 13m then I may as well be willing to pay for 14m. Okay then what about bid 14m to start with then problem solved? No because I don't know if 14m is really my "maximum price", I have to know what others are willing to pay for this item before I can decide if I want to outbid that or not.

You need to ask yourself the question, "what is the most I'd be willing to pay if there is a competing bidder," and then place THAT amount as your bid. If there is no competing bidder, you will win the item for 5% higher than the next highest bidder, and receive a nice overbid refund to send to your stash.

If you take the additional precaution of placing that maximum bid in the final seconds, you can eliminate the chance that a shill bidder will artificially drive up the price.

Edited for emphasis and typo correction.
Edited by truthseeker#1278 on 11/19/2012 3:21 PM PST
Reply Quote
Like so many have stated bid what your willing to pay. Crying about this is like crying about an item on sell while the item next to it is not.
Reply Quote
11/18/2012 11:41 PMPosted by Mith

That would encourage it to be more like a standard auction where the price gradually increases, and would ultimately hurt 'business' for people who are trying to move what they consider to be high end items. They like it the way it is where you are encouraged to 'bid the maximum your willing to pay' thereby allowing them to more easily control the prices that things are selling for.

Of course I realize that. You are missing my point, I agree w/ you. What I'm saying is that yes, the bid could go higher, but only at a much slower rate. If the auctions were to be extended with each increasing bid, yes the price would inch its way up higher and higher, but only at a very slow rate... a rate that the buyers would have absolute control over.

The people who like the AH the way it is like it that way because they can keep yammering on about bidding your maximum and in the meantime keep the buyers in the dark. Rather than having the auction to wait till the expiration and leisurely continue to bid, they prefer it that you have to take one final stab at it blindly. Also this way, if they see that something is not selling for what they believe its worth, they can easily toss in a minimum bid to either massivly inflate the price or take it off the shelf, and put it back in their inventory, to try to sell it again, only losing the 10% fee.

For all you people who keep saying that we don't know how Auctions work and to just bid your maximum, NO ****ing **** Sherlock. Of course we understand that. Yes, on the most simplistic level, your right. But you are missing the complexities of how actual auctions work. Trust me, the people who are saying the AH needs to be changed are making that point based on an entirely more complex model of auctioning, based more on actual real life auctions.
Reply Quote

No he has not been screwed out of more bids. Your suggestion would make it so that people would HAVE to be there at the end for who knows how long if they want to bid on an item. Is it so hard to understand that the way the system works is you bid the MAXIMUM you're willing to spend, ONCE and then you're free to go about your business not having to worry about being there for the end of an auction you're interested in? Tell me this, what happens when an auction gets extended past when you have to leave for work, or school, or have to go to the bathroom, or go to bed or...but you wanted to bid more?

Yes but if thats the case, and you have to leave and you want to 'wrap things up', well then you throw down a larger bid, thereby telling people to **** off etc and stop wasting your time. But why force people to choose that route? You'd still have that option if the bidding continued. But let those who want to play it like an actual auction do so if they choose. Thats the allure of auctions and why people go. Why do you think they say you 'won' something at an auction? Because it instill the mentality that you won a prize, i.e. in this case the prize being something that you got for much less than its actual worth.

For those who prefer the 'bid your maximum' concept, you can continue to do that and if your maximum is high enough, you won't have to deal with the people who are trying to get the item at a lower price, unless of course, someone wants to see your bid and raise it higher.
Edited by slicktrick#1483 on 11/19/2012 4:15 PM PST
Reply Quote

Of course I realize that. You are missing my point, I agree w/ you. What I'm saying is that yes, the bid could go higher, but only at a much slower rate. If the auctions were to be extended with each increasing bid, yes the price would inch its way up higher and higher, but only at a very slow rate... a rate that the buyers would have absolute control over.

The people who like the AH the way it is like it that way because they can keep yammering on about bidding your maximum and in the meantime keep the buyers in the dark. Rather than having the auction to wait till the expiration and leisurely continue to bid, they prefer it that you have to take one final stab at it blindly. Also this way, if they see that something is not selling for what they believe its worth, they can easily toss in a minimum bid to either massivly inflate the price or take it off the shelf, and put it back in their inventory, to try to sell it again, only losing the 10% fee.

For all you people who keep saying that we don't know how Auctions work and to just bid your maximum, NO ****ing **** Sherlock. Of course we understand that. Yes, on the most simplistic level, your right. But you are missing the complexities of how actual auctions work. Trust me, the people who are saying the AH needs to be changed are making that point based on an entirely more complex model of auctioning, based more on actual real life auctions.

Real life auctions... are you kidding?

WE ARENT ALL IN THE SAME ROOM AT THE SAME TIME

Proxy bidding WORKS EXACTLY THE SAME in REAL LIFE AUCTIONS.....

FFS you people are dense
Reply Quote
I kinda like how the bidding system is right now. It injects a certain adrenaline rush for me when bidding. Its fun. Learn to enjoy it. And why would you low ball your bid when you know a item is worth much more than the bidding value you had entered?
Reply Quote
Its fine as it is... if you want an item bid as high as you are prepared to pay. People who complain are cheap !@# bidders.....
Reply Quote

Dude, real life auctions mean the one you actually attend in person, or you mean just ebay?
Stop tripping already.
Reply Quote
The problem here is the concept of "item worth". The value of the item is set entirely by the market. The way the current system works hides what that market is. People set "buy it now" and minimum prices at values that are waaaaayyyy more than the item is worth (because they don't know what it is worth and are trying to get max value). Meanwhile, people aren't bidding till the last second, and the game doesn't let you see what the winning bid was in the end.

If they added this system they would allow people to at least see what other people thought the item was worth, other than "more than what I bid". Adding the feature to show you what the winning bid was on an item you lost out on would be valuable as well, as it would give the buyer a better concept of what the market is.
Reply Quote
This isn't rocket science...just always bid the most you're willing to pay.
Reply Quote
OP is such a wonder, making a silly post that missed the point and showed his ignorance, and then maintaining it so diligently as if he is getting paid.
Reply Quote
11/19/2012 05:17 PMPosted by Polkiousness
This isn't rocket science...just always bid the most you're willing to pay.

Here's a little rocket science: In any auction there are 3 axis... imagine it like a triangle. At the top of the triangle is the seller. The two points at the base are the buyers. The entire concept of an auction is based on the psychology between not only the buyers but also between the buyers as a single entity and the seller.

Your cave man simplification of just always bidding the maximum your willing to pay completely disregards the buyers as a single entity working against the seller to keep the price lower.

Personally, I really don't care that much. Im just finding it amusing watching people who say theirs nothing wrong with the auction trying to pull a con job on eveyrone by telling them how easy it is to not get sniped by just bid the maximum your willing to pay. Yeah, you might not get sniped, but your going to end up paying 10 or 20 times more than the actual worth of the item. If there are 10 people bidding on an item, and bidders 1-8 think an item is worth 1 million gold, bidder 9 thinks an item is worth 9 million gold, and bidder 10 thinks an item is worth 10 million gold, I'm sorry that item is not worth the 9.1 million gold that bidder 10 paid for the item. Its worth more like 2.7 million gold, the average of what eveyrone thought it was worth.

The way the auction is now, sellers are screwing over the buyers to the extent of about 7 million gold, based on that last estimate due to wonky, clumsy, and clunky mechanics that could be easily fixed.
Reply Quote
Majority of the people complaining that lose their bids doesn't realise that the reason they lost was probably due to them expecting the items to be dirt cheap and won't admit its their fault when they lose due to lowballing.
End of the day, it all comes down to one thing which is just paying the max you would for the item
Reply Quote
11/19/2012 05:44 PMPosted by vexorian
^ It uses proxy bidding. The "psychology" part is made by robots who bid for you after you tell them how much they can spend at most.

Yeah aside from the fact that anyone w/ an alt account or even a few friends with some gold to kick around can easily jack up that bid to well beyond what it would have been had bidders had the option of continuing the bid after it expires, rather than having to blindly overshoot it and open up their wallets to being scammed.

All it is is false advertising... If the seller wants to cry over his item and sell it for 800 million billion gold, then fine, go ahead and put that as a minimum bid... His item will get tossed in the garbage with the rest of the item storage that doesn't get a second look. But don't get everyone's attention with a fair starting bid, tell everyone to 'bid the max they're willing to pay' under the assumption that its safe to do so and that they will get this huge refund, and then have your bot/buddy go and inflate that bid to just under what the max bid was. You can do that but don't expect people to keep using the AH house. As it is, I"ve pretty much hit a wall.. the price of any minor upgrade that I see on the AH is well beyond what I think its worth. The way I see it is a bunch of losers trying to rip everyone off for whatever they can get, rather than a friendly game of making gold through buying and selling at fair prices.
Reply Quote
There is no problem with what is being described by OP. There is a problem with the mindset that all of the people that are complaining are using. Simply put here is your solution:

1) Identify the highest actual price that you would be willing to pay for an item in question.

2) If you have the funds, bid what you would pay for that item (the time you bid on the item doesn't matter as you are bidding what you are willing to pay for the item regardless of when you are bidding it).

3) Given you do not have the funds to put down the bid that you would be willing to pay, go make money with time left on the auction and then bid what you would be willing to pay.

4) Forget about it. You have put down how much you would be willing to pay for that item. One of two things will happen as detailed below:

* YOU LOSE THE AUCTION: The said item went over the value that you are willing to pay and, therefore, you were not willing to pay more and allowed the item to go to someone who was willing to pay more *

* YOU WIN THE AUCTION: The said item never went beyond your max bid and you won the item for below or at the value you were willing to pay *

If you bid with that attitude in mind then it doesn't matter if someone outbids you because if they do they are bidding more than you were going to pay for the item in the first place. Stop complaining and blaming the "auction system" or "snipers" or anything else for that matter.

The same can be said for people who complain about those who buy out auctions and re-list them. The problem isn't with the auction house system. The problem lies in people's lack of understanding of the system and their unwillingness to accept it and adapt accordingly.

* Passes soap box to the next person *
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]