Diablo® III

Auction flaw: the bid 3secs before the end

Solution:

Bid the max amount you are willing to pay, and bid it with less than a minute to go.

That's not the point of bidding

Tor you dont understand how it works.

If i want something for cheap, but im willing to pay at most 5 million for it, I put a 5 million gold bid in.

At that point i get it for just more then the next highest bidder under 5 million.

as an example:

If i bid 5 million on an item currently listed at 1 gold, and the only other person who bids for it, bids 5,000 I will win the item for 6000ish.

Bid your maximum amount you would be willing to spend on the item and the AH will start bidding for you up til that point. Thus nobody snipes you at the last second, they either paid more then your max, or you were lowballing.
Reply Quote
If you want to win an auction all you have to do is bid more then everyone else. Extending auctions because of last minute bids will only make it harder for you to obtain good bargains through bidding.
Reply Quote
The problem with bidding what you are willing to pay is shill bidding. The seller can determine what your max bid is by making bids on the item from a second account (I think a second account is required, can you bid on your own items?). When the next bid gets close to your max, the current bid jumps up by less then the normal bid interval.

The seller can basically force you to pay your max bid every time.
Reply Quote
Solution: Have each bid end a random amount of time sooner than the listed expiration time. Anywhere from 1 second to 15 minutes.
Reply Quote
View profile
More complaining about snipers I see...

*sticks chest out proudly*
Reply Quote
100 Human Death Knight
There are no AH snipers. Bid what you think is worthy and the game autobids for you. You can win an auction with 1 day 11 hours left that had 500 people bidding it without ever turning on the AH again if you bid high.

Learn to play before you post.
Reply Quote
The seller then risks actually his own auction, losing all the money you offered and 15% of his/her own money.

Now you see why the 15% rate is needed even in the gold AH.

You missed my point. The seller doesn't risk anything. By watching the max bid, they can tell when they are one bid away from overtaking the current max and stop bidding.

I suppose that there is a small chance of overtaking the current max in one bid, but if so you aren't losing much since the bid is low. Hell, at that point you'd probably want your item back anyway and willing to pay 15% of almost nothing to get it back.
Reply Quote
View profile
Quit being so cheap and bid what the item is worth to you.
Reply Quote
Don't care.
Buyout...awesome.
Bid......win, great.
Bid......lost/sniped, oh well.
Reseller......have fun, got mine.
Items not good enough to sell AH....Merchant sale.

You...monitor and play Auction House.
Me...roam and adventure killing Monsters.
Reply Quote
Looks like most of you missing my perspective. Ok, another example:

I found amazing item and ready to pay all my money for it, I put all my money on that bid and go to sleep. I wake up and see that my bid is still the leader, at the same time some of my items in auction were sold, and I got another 10-20m and I am ready to add that money to my bid.
The time X:
before 3 second of auction end, somebody kills my bid and wins the item. I do not have a time to rise up my bid and as result I loose the item.

Is it clear now? It is the flaw in this auction! Wins not the person who is ready to give more money for lot, but who is faster in the last 5 seconds of trades.
Reply Quote
Umm. No.
Reply Quote

I found amazing item and ready to pay all my money for it, I put all my money on that bid and go to sleep. I wake up and see that my bid is still the leader, at the same time some of my items in auction were sold, and I got another 10-20m and I am ready to add that money to my bid.
The time X:
before 3 second of auction end, somebody kills my bid and wins the item. I do not have a time to rise up my bid and as result I loose the item.

Is it clear now? It is the flaw in this auction! Wins not the person who is ready to give more money for lot, but who is faster in the last 5 seconds of trades.

Should have not gone to sleep and/or woken up a lot earlier, if it was that important to you.
Reply Quote
View profile
@op, learn to auction house. your post is one big fail.
don't be such a cheapskate and you may win an auction. lowball bids will not.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Hunter

The time X:

It sounds to me like you either need a function to increase your current bid, or you shouldn't have bid before you had all the money you were willing to bid.
Reply Quote

The time X:

So if you were on a basketball team and the other team scores to pull ahead by one point with five seconds left on the clock, you'd want the referee to add more time so your team can have a chance to outscore the other team and win.

So the ref adds 10 seconds, and you take 10 seconds to drive to the basket and score. You're now ahead by a point. But to be fair, the ref has to add 10 more seconds. The other team scores again. Ten more seconds are added...

Auctions need an end, just like basketball games. Someone will always feel like they should/could have won if they just hadn't run out of time.
Reply Quote
11/16/2012 10:27 AMPosted by xMoonDevilx
Should have not gone to sleep and/or woken up a lot earlier, if it was that important to you.

@op, learn to auction house. your post is one big fail.don't be such a cheapskate and you may win an auction. lowball bids will not.

First, I know AH specs not worse than you, and I am abusing that flaw. I understand that this is not a fair game, and that's why I want blizz to take this into consideration.

anyway guys, do you suggest to take stopwatch and wait 5sec before the end of auc and make the bid? it is stupid. It is big risk to loose the item. The lot leader should have a time to answer if his bid would be killed.
Reply Quote
OP.

Online bidding has always been like this.

Get over it.
Reply Quote
So if you were on a basketball team and the other team scores to pull ahead by one point with five seconds left on the clock, you'd want the referee to add more time so your team can have a chance to outscore the other team and win.So the ref adds 10 seconds, and you take 10 seconds to drive to the basket and score. You're now ahead by a point. But to be fair, the ref has to add 10 more seconds. The other team scores again. Ten more seconds are added...Auctions need an end, just like basketball games. Someone will always feel like they should/could have won if they just hadn't run out of time.

that is not correct comparison. Auction - is not a team game. Show me the seller who is not ready to wait if his item price is growing more and more in arithmetical progression?
Everybody is satisfied: Seller - gets more money, Buyer - Wins who made the biggest bid.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]