Diablo® III

Auction flaw: the bid 3secs before the end

If you want to win an auction with no buy out. Over bid it. If you really want it, lock it with a ridiculous bid. Like, 1-2 mill item...bid 30 mill. You only pay like 1 to 2 mill. But, if some one wants it, they need to pay 30 mill, and if they do you get your cash back..

More and more people make bids when 1-5 secs left before auction ends. As result you dont have a time to make a higher bid - the auction is ended.

Let me show you how to exploit it:
1. find your lot in AH
2. click on search every second and watch your clocks with seconds, when the time is changed from f.e. 30mins to 29mins before the end, mark the seconds on your clock when it changed.
3. click make a bid
4. put there max gold value you are ready to bid.
5. press CTRL+C
6. click cancel the bid
7. watch your clocks with marked seconds
8. when ~5sec left before the end, click on make a bid
9. press CTRL+V
10. click OK

The solution: as in real auction: if lot leader was changed less than 60 seconds before the end, reset the timer to 60sec again.

Example:
lot: sword, current price - 100k , buyout - no.
player1 is the leader on this lot and made 500k bid.
30secs left before the end:
player2 makes a bid 200k - current price grows up to 200k, player1 - still the leader (timer is not reset)
5secs left:
player2 makes a bid 600k - current price grows up to 600k, player2 - is the new leader (timer should be reset here to 60sec).
60secs left:
now player1 has a time to make higher bid or disregard this lot.

the main Idea: Auction timer should be reset to 60sec every time when lot leader is changed.
Reply Quote
View profile
11/16/2012 10:38 AMPosted by Alec
anyway guys, do you suggest to take stopwatch and wait 5sec before the end of auc and make the bid?

this exactly. combine that with bidding the maximum amount you are willing to pay and you win auctions.
Reply Quote
OP.

Online bidding has always been like this.

Get over it.

11/16/2012 10:38 AMPosted by Alec
Should have not gone to sleep and/or woken up a lot earlier, if it was that important to you.

@op, learn to auction house. your post is one big fail.don't be such a cheapskate and you may win an auction. lowball bids will not.

First, I know AH specs not worse than you, and I am abusing that flaw. I understand that this is not a fair game, and that's why I want blizz to take this into consideration.

anyway guys, do you suggest to take stopwatch and wait 5sec before the end of auc and make the bid? it is stupid. It is big risk to loose the item. The lot leader should have a time to answer if his bid would be killed.

I don't think you have a clue at all the more I read what you try and argue for.
What happens when you get more time...? You get to bid. Then they should get more time, so they can bid. Then what will you cry about when you simply don't have the money and lose...that you be allowed time to go farm some gold or buy it in the RMAH?

Stock Brokers at the NY Exchange need to be sent this idea. I am sure they need a good laugh.
Reply Quote
11/16/2012 10:29 AMPosted by Mysorona
It sounds to me like you either need a function to increase your current bid, or you shouldn't have bid before you had all the money you were willing to bid.

good idea, that could be considered as workaround.
Reply Quote
sometimes you make mistakes and put lower bid than you could, but you dont have a time to re-bid - because the time is over...

That is your flaw. Blizzard can't fix that. I am happy with the current system and am surprised to see so much crying about this.
Reply Quote
I don't think you have a clue at all the more I read what you try and argue for.What happens when you get more time...? You get to bid. Then they should get more time, so they can bid. Then what will you cry about when you simply don't have the money and lose...that you be allowed time to go farm some gold or buy it in the RMAH?

you are wrong. Please re-read what I am saying carefully,I gave you concrete example, please give me a favor to answer it, and what I am not understanding? How can I increase my bid if I am still the leader and stopwatch shows 5sec left?
Reply Quote
Forum Crying is getting from Very Ridiculous to EXtremely Ridiculous
Reply Quote
11/16/2012 10:59 AMPosted by Alec
I don't think you have a clue at all the more I read what you try and argue for.What happens when you get more time...? You get to bid. Then they should get more time, so they can bid. Then what will you cry about when you simply don't have the money and lose...that you be allowed time to go farm some gold or buy it in the RMAH?

you are wrong. Please re-read what I am saying carefully,I gave you concrete example, please give me a favor to answer it, and what I am not understanding? How can I increase my bid if I am still the leader and stopwatch shows 5sec left?

You said your bid got topped. You then received gold from AH sales you made, wanted to use it to add to your bid. OK. So you are allowed some way to get time to do it.
The other or even another bidder MUST have the same opportunity...be it 5 sec left....2 sec...1 sec. YOU got the courtesy to do so....so should they.

So they do...and bid.

Now you get the opportunity all over again, another chance. You bid. Then they get the chance...and they bid. Ad Infinitum.

Say you bid, cause you were given time. Then they bid, because if you got the time they should get the beer too....so they get time, and outbid you again. You have no money left...going from your example again of only getting those sales at last minute....whose to say that will happen again? All the time? What are you going to do then?

Cry you need more time to get gold you do not have?
"Oh wait...I just need 5 more minutes so I can go Farm some gold! Be right back!"

"Hang on! All I need to do is buy some gold on the RMAH...be back in a min!"

If all this isn't clear...and all the other examples people have said are not getting through... then even saying it would be hysterical to a Stock Broker when the NY Stock exchange closes at 4pm...and someone cries out, "This isn't fair! I should be given the chance to counter that last bid! Time ran out! Not fair!"....is not going to make any sense.
Reply Quote
Looks like most of you missing my perspective. Ok, another example:

I found amazing item and ready to pay all my money for it, I put all my money on that bid and go to sleep. I wake up and see that my bid is still the leader, at the same time some of my items in auction were sold, and I got another 10-20m and I am ready to add that money to my bid.
The time X:
before 3 second of auction end, somebody kills my bid and wins the item. I do not have a time to rise up my bid and as result I loose the item.

Is it clear now? It is the flaw in this auction! Wins not the person who is ready to give more money for lot, but who is faster in the last 5 seconds of trades.

You should not have bid until the last 5 seconds then. If you had waited, you would have gotten all your money from the other auctions and then could have made one large bid @ 5 seconds.
Reply Quote
11/16/2012 06:41 AMPosted by Alec
sometimes you make mistakes and put lower bid than you could, but you dont have a time to re-bid - because the time is over. Using my proposal the item will be sell for the real price, but not to the player/bot who will make the bid faster than me.

What are you talking about? So you mean you had a lot of time just staring into the timer and then decided to make a bid 5 seconds before it ends and lost.

Put the maximum amount you are willing to spend on an item. Put it in as your max bid, if you win then good, if you lost then someone was willing to pay higher.

Now for your argument of having more gold 1 day after you made you bid. Why not bid that extra gold you made?
Reply Quote
11/16/2012 11:13 AMPosted by FooOne
What is needed is an "accept offer/bid now" button, when item has bid on it, instead of just a grayed out cancel button. This will let auctions complete sooner it the seller feels they got the price they want, optionally there could even be confirm dialog box to make certain of that decision by the seller. This will encourage buyers to bid what they think the item is worth matching what they want to pay, and the seller to accept that bid quickly and sell quickly. After all time is money. It is a win-win for both parties, buyers want their items quick and sellers want to sell quick. It helps buyers get the items quicker and seller get items sold faster, and people don't need to get all worked up around the last 2 minutes of an auction.

But then the OP will not get a chance to get more time, if his/her bid is not the high-winning 'acceptable amount I want to get' the auction poster clicks to get.
Then qq turns into QQ
Reply Quote
11/16/2012 10:59 AMPosted by Alec

In order to do that, you would need to be able to retract a bid and then re-bid. However, there is no function for that in the AH, nor should there be one. If you just bid at the last 5 seconds, you will have the most up-to-date amount of gold available to bid with and your chances of winning increase dramatically.
Reply Quote
Looks like most of you missing my perspective. Ok, another example:

I found amazing item and ready to pay all my money for it, I put all my money on that bid and go to sleep. I wake up and see that my bid is still the leader, at the same time some of my items in auction were sold, and I got another 10-20m and I am ready to add that money to my bid.
The time X:
before 3 second of auction end, somebody kills my bid and wins the item. I do not have a time to rise up my bid and as result I loose the item.

Is it clear now? It is the flaw in this auction! Wins not the person who is ready to give more money for lot, but who is faster in the last 5 seconds of trades.

Bidding early locks you money in as you cant add to it unless someone outbids you.

In your example you bid early and bid everything, since your bid was so high so early you locked all your money into the auction and when you had acquired more money you couldn't add it unless someone out bid you.

Its your own fault you lost. If you really really wanted it and there was a lot of time left you should have noted the time it finished, set an alarm, then bid in the last 5 mins. Not because you wanted to snipe but to give yourself more time to gather more gold before locking it into your final bid.

If the system in place fails at all it is because the people using it fail to understand it.

Bid late if only to give yourself time to acquire more gold
Bid the max you are willing to bid since you will only pay a little more then the next highest bid and be refunded the rest.

Do these two things and you can only be outbid by someone who wants it more and bids higher then you are willing.
Reply Quote
I sew many cars and online auctions that have the feature "auto-prolong" if the leader is changed less than 5 minutes before the end. 2-3 buyers can increase the bid as much as they can with auto-prolong up to an hour to determine the winner. Seller - will get more money, Buyers - will have a time to determine the real winner, blizz - will get more %.

I dont understand why this feature face so many opponents.

PS. as workaround it is good to have a feature to increase the bid at any time.
Reply Quote

I dont understand

This is most evident.
Reply Quote
You said your bid got topped. You then received gold from AH sales you made, wanted to use it to add to your bid. OK. So you are allowed some way to get time to do it.The other or even another bidder MUST have the same opportunity...be it 5 sec left....2 sec...1 sec. YOU got the courtesy to do so....so should they. So they do...and bid.Now you get the opportunity all over again, another chance. You bid. Then they get the chance...and they bid. Ad Infinitum.Say you bid, cause you were given time. Then they bid, because if you got the time they should get the beer too....so they get time, and outbid you again. You have no money left...going from your example again of only getting those sales at last minute....whose to say that will happen again? All the time? What are you going to do then?Cry you need more time to get gold you do not have?"Oh wait...I just need 5 more minutes so I can go Farm some gold! Be right back!""Hang on! All I need to do is buy some gold on the RMAH...be back in a min!"If all this isn't clear...and all the other examples people have said are not getting through... then even saying it would be hysterical to a Stock Broker when the NY Stock exchange closes at 4pm...and someone cries out, "This isn't fair! I should be given the chance to counter that last bid! Time ran out! Not fair!"....is not going to make any sense.

no no no. you have just 60sec to increase the bid, what gold farm or money convertation you are talking about? you dont have a time for that. you just have a time to add all rest money to your bid, if new bid will not change the leader then you loose, - that's very simple.
Reply Quote
YOU just want an auction that Never End and ONLY you can end it.
This is something maybe will be implement when u design Diablo 4
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]