Diablo® III

Auction flaw: the bid 3secs before the end

solution: common sense
Reply Quote
11/16/2012 11:37 AMPosted by Alec
You said your bid got topped. You then received gold from AH sales you made, wanted to use it to add to your bid. OK. So you are allowed some way to get time to do it.The other or even another bidder MUST have the same opportunity...be it 5 sec left....2 sec...1 sec. YOU got the courtesy to do so....so should they. So they do...and bid.Now you get the opportunity all over again, another chance. You bid. Then they get the chance...and they bid. Ad Infinitum.Say you bid, cause you were given time. Then they bid, because if you got the time they should get the beer too....so they get time, and outbid you again. You have no money left...going from your example again of only getting those sales at last minute....whose to say that will happen again? All the time? What are you going to do then?Cry you need more time to get gold you do not have?"Oh wait...I just need 5 more minutes so I can go Farm some gold! Be right back!""Hang on! All I need to do is buy some gold on the RMAH...be back in a min!"If all this isn't clear...and all the other examples people have said are not getting through... then even saying it would be hysterical to a Stock Broker when the NY Stock exchange closes at 4pm...and someone cries out, "This isn't fair! I should be given the chance to counter that last bid! Time ran out! Not fair!"....is not going to make any sense.

no no no. you have just 60sec to increase the bid, what gold farm or money convertation you are talking about? you dont have a time for that. you just have a time to add all rest money to your bid, if new bid will not change the leader then you loose, - that's very simple.

Said that because you said you bid everything...got outbid, but suddenly got gold from a sale and wanted to use it...had no time. Lost. Want Blizz to allow you 60sec to place the new funds in stash so you could bid with something (which you didn't have before till then).

If you are given 60 sec....then they should get it....or any others bidding....then means you get it again...then the get it again...over and over.
Someone will not have enough, and lose....at some point. And if it is you?
You are OK at that point, because you were allowed to bid till you had nothing left and were outbid...lost.
Then why not just lose to begin with...and move on? VERY SIMPLE.
Reply Quote
it always end at 1 thing HIGHEST Bidder wins all.

In the example I provided, the leader cannot increase his bid when he sees that current bid is getting his bid, even if he has a money to add.

Folks. I am asking about ability for leader to increase his bid either reseting auc timer to 60sec, either adding feature "increase your bid"
Reply Quote
11/16/2012 11:44 AMPosted by Fre3doM
YOU just want an auction that Never End and ONLY you can end it.

in will be ended when buyers will not have money for bidding. Take into consediration that any next bid grows in arithmetical progression, in practice it shouldnt be more than 5-10 extra minutes, is it really critical for you to wait another 10 minutes and get much more money for your lot?
Reply Quote
It would be better if people would just LEARN TO PLAY, the auction system is what it is. It needs no improvement, you people need to quit whining because YOU CANT SNIPE THE BID yourself because someone else HAS A BID THEY ARE WILLING TO PAY and you are afraid to BID WHAT ITEM IS WORTH because you wont be able to FLIP IT...

ROFL ((: Get a grip.....

TL;DR: Peeps need to bid amount item worth and stop whining cause they cant snipe to flip....
Reply Quote
11/16/2012 11:54 AMPosted by Alec

in will be ended when buyers will not have money for bidding. Take into consediration that any next bid grows in arithmetical progression, in practice it shouldnt be more than 5-10 extra minutes, is it really critical for you to wait another 10 minutes and get much more money for your lot?

What reason would you have for constantly increasing your bid if you simply bid your max bid correctly to begin with? You would have zero reason to keep upping your bid. You're issue is that you either can't properly evaluate what you are willing to pay.
Reply Quote
11/16/2012 10:46 AMPosted by Alec
So if you were on a basketball team and the other team scores to pull ahead by one point with five seconds left on the clock, you'd want the referee to add more time so your team can have a chance to outscore the other team and win.So the ref adds 10 seconds, and you take 10 seconds to drive to the basket and score. You're now ahead by a point. But to be fair, the ref has to add 10 more seconds. The other team scores again. Ten more seconds are added...Auctions need an end, just like basketball games. Someone will always feel like they should/could have won if they just hadn't run out of time.

that is not correct comparison. Auction - is not a team game. Show me the seller who is not ready to wait if his item price is growing more and more in arithmetical progression?
Everybody is satisfied: Seller - gets more money, Buyer - Wins who made the biggest bid.
Your objection to the team aspect of the analogy is irrelevant to the point being made. Bottom line is that you lost at a competition (whether one-on-one, one to many, or team based) that had a defined time limit and now you want more time added onto the clock so you can win. Same with wanting auctions to be extended if you get outbid.

There are no participation ribbons in the auction house.
Reply Quote
11/16/2012 11:54 AMPosted by Alec

in will be ended when buyers will not have money for bidding.

Which is EXACTLY what occurred originally. You DID NOT have the money...you only had what you had and put the bid in. They DID have the money, and put the bid in with whatever time was left on the original time countdown of the item's auction. If the time ended...it ended.
If you REEEEEAAAAAALLY wanted it...you would have it. You would have stayed up late farming more gold, woken up earlier farming more gold....taken all of that gold on top of what you already had.... and waited till the last min and pooped it all down the hatch, making it difficult for anyone to max it in time. Because THAT is how you play:

AUCTION HOUSE-THE GAME....
(batteries sold separately, but better have them and extra set in case you're outbid).
Reply Quote
LMAO if you found this out NOW, you're way late bro...I've been timing my bids since day 1.
Reply Quote
11/16/2012 12:10 PMPosted by Drayven
What reason would you have for constantly increasing your bid if you simply bid your max bid correctly to begin with? You would have zero reason to keep upping your bid. You're issue is that you either can't properly evaluate what you are willing to pay.

the issue is that I cannot increase my bid if I am the leader on lot.
Reply Quote
11/16/2012 12:21 PMPosted by Alec

Yet you didn't answer the question. WHY WOULD YOU?

And even if you could....WHY?
Reply Quote
that's obvious - I've got new funds, and want to increase my bid.
Edited by Alec#2540 on 11/16/2012 12:33 PM PST
Reply Quote
11/16/2012 12:33 PMPosted by Alec
that's obvious - I've got new funds, and want to increase my bid.

WHY? You are ALREADY winning?

EDIT: What, you want to be able to Snipe yourself?
Edited by xMoonDevilx#1540 on 11/16/2012 12:36 PM PST
Reply Quote
Generally people complaining about sniping do not understand proxy bidding.
However there are 2 items IMO that should be changed about the current implementation.

1) An unscrupulous seller can drive the sell price up to your max bid, even in the absence of other bidders. It is not safe to bid high early for this reason.

2) If for whatever reason you change your mind about your max bid - come into more funds, lose another auction, or whatever... presently if you up your bid while you are in the lead, the price shoots up to 5% above your prior bid. I would argue this is a bug.
Reply Quote

yes, you can. I have done it several times. it costs you a little coin as it basically treats you as a new bidder and ups your bid. but if you are that concerned about being sniped at the end of the auction, it can be worth it and you would have paid more any way.

example, I put in a low ball bid on a really good item shortly after it hit the AH. usually, those items get a higher bid but it flags it on my open auction list to review when it gets closer to expiration.

but in this case, my low ball bid was still winning with about 10 minutes left and I had a feeling that one or more people were out there looking to snatch it.

so I went in with about 1 minute left and raised my 1 million bid to 5 million. yes, you will get a warning message that bidding on an item that you are already winning increases your bid to at least the next bid increment

so if no one else was looking to buy the item it would have cost me another 5 or 10% but I was still happy with that. as it turned out, several people must have been waiting to snipe it because the last 60 seconds it jumped from the 1 million to around 4 million.

but I still got the item. if i would have just sat there with my original high bid, I would not have had time to manually enter a new bid when others jumped in at the last minute.
Reply Quote

Re-read my post again. Carefully.

Now... take a deep breath,

Read it again. I'm certain you still aren't getting it.

If you find an item on the AH and determine that the most you would be willing to pay for said item is "X", and you set your Max bid as "X", you would never have a need to up your bid. If you get outbid, someone was willing to pay more gold than you were willing to pay, and you get your gold back.
Reply Quote

This feature is not needed. In the case that If you know that you're not going to have money coming in before the auction expires follow these steps:
1. Bid the minimum amount and the item will show up in your history.
2. Log into AH at least 5 minutes before the auction is to end.
a: This depends on your schedule. I'm not up at 4am, so I'll log in at 12am. Do whatever works for you
3. Send your money to your stash (I'm assuming you were waiting for cash from AH)
4. Bid the max amount you are willing to pay for the item
5. Wait and see if you win or are sniped. If you are sniped, you're obviously being trolled.
6. If your item was sniped, log onto bnet forums and create a thread about how AH timers need to be changed.

edit: fixed the quote
Edited by Goliath#1529 on 11/16/2012 1:27 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]