Diablo® III

Auction flaw: the bid 3secs before the end

that's not correct.

My example:

I put 100m on bid - all my money. after 10 minutes some of my items sold and I got another 10-20m, 1 min left: I see that current bid is getting closer to my bid, I want to add that 20m to my bid but cannot, as result when ~5sec left, somebody killed by bid and I did not have a time to re-bid it on 120m. Result: item was bought out for 105m, I lost item, because do not have a time to make a 120m bid.

you CAN increase your bid if you are the winning one BUT like in your example if you place all your gold on an item (the gold gets placed as a bit) and want to increase it, you will need at least the same amount of gold again.

Example: you place 100 mil and you have got 20 left. now you get 30 mil from selling stuff and you want to increase your bid to 150, but the bid is at 100 mil and to increase to 150 you need 150 on hand not counting whats already placed on the item. so since you only have 50 mil you cant place it

I dont have another 150m, I have 100m on my bid and +20m that I want to add to my bid, can you understand that?

I do know that I can increase my bid by making higher bid, but I should have enough money, so this is not my case.
Reply Quote
11/16/2012 06:15 AMPosted by Alec
Bid the max amount you are willing to pay.

the Auction timer - 32hours, when I made a bid I had f.e. 100k of my gold, after ~24hours, my gold increased up to 900k, I have more gold, but dont have a time to answer on new bid.

You only acquired your 900k with 3 seconds left in the auction? Hence "no time to increase your bid"? Uhh huh...

Like everyone else said, put your max bid in. If you were willing to pay 900k for something but you only had 900k with only 3 - 10 seconds left on the auction you were screwed anyway. If you had 900k with 1 minute left you should have jsut bid 900k with one minute left.
Reply Quote
More and more people make bids when 1-5 secs left before auction ends. As result you dont have a time to make a higher bid - the auction is ended.

Let me show you how to exploit it:
1. find your lot in AH
2. click on search every second and watch your clocks with seconds, when the time is changed from f.e. 30mins to 29mins before the end, mark the seconds on your clock when it changed.
3. click make a bid
4. put there max gold value you are ready to bid.
5. press CTRL+C
6. click cancel the bid
7. watch your clocks with marked seconds
8. when ~5sec left before the end, click on make a bid
9. press CTRL+V
10. click OK

The solution: as in real auction: if lot leader was changed less than 60 seconds before the end, reset the timer to 60sec again.

Example:
lot: sword, current price - 100k , buyout - no.
player1 is the leader on this lot and made 500k bid.
30secs left before the end:
player2 makes a bid 200k - current price grows up to 200k, player1 - still the leader (timer is not reset)
5secs left:
player2 makes a bid 600k - current price grows up to 600k, player2 - is the new leader (timer should be reset here to 60sec).
60secs left:
now player1 has a time to make higher bid or disregard this lot.

the main Idea: Auction timer should be reset to 60sec every time when lot leader is changed.

Congratulations on showing your ignorance of how the bidding system already works. You have not done any basic research on the forums (heaps of these misguided threads already exist) or read the website.

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/diablo-iii-auction-house-functionality#q4

It's called Proxy Bidding and will solve all your problems.

Actually, please don't take any notice of all the advice here and keep low-ball bidding. I enjoy getting items cheaply at the last minute from people like you.
Edited by Elzilcho#1874 on 11/16/2012 5:54 PM PST
Reply Quote
More and more people make bids when 1-5 secs left before auction ends. As result you dont have a time to make a higher bid - the auction is ended.

Let me show you how to exploit it:
1. find your lot in AH
2. click on search every second and watch your clocks with seconds, when the time is changed from f.e. 30mins to 29mins before the end, mark the seconds on your clock when it changed.
3. click make a bid
4. put there max gold value you are ready to bid.
5. press CTRL+C
6. click cancel the bid
7. watch your clocks with marked seconds
8. when ~5sec left before the end, click on make a bid
9. press CTRL+V
10. click OK

The solution: as in real auction: if lot leader was changed less than 60 seconds before the end, reset the timer to 60sec again.

Example:
lot: sword, current price - 100k , buyout - no.
player1 is the leader on this lot and made 500k bid.
30secs left before the end:
player2 makes a bid 200k - current price grows up to 200k, player1 - still the leader (timer is not reset)
5secs left:
player2 makes a bid 600k - current price grows up to 600k, player2 - is the new leader (timer should be reset here to 60sec).
60secs left:
now player1 has a time to make higher bid or disregard this lot.

the main Idea: Auction timer should be reset to 60sec every time when lot leader is changed.

Its working as intended. Its a proxy auction;its supposed to work this way. If they changed auctions to the system you propose, auctions would basically be never ending. Learn how to time your bids or put in your max bid from the start. Its that simple.
Edited by Naeblis#1222 on 11/16/2012 8:38 PM PST
Reply Quote
The things ppl QQ about these days. First ppl wanted legendarys to drop every 2 seconds now they want auctions to be handed to them. Its simple, bid most u would pay for item. Was that so hard. Im sure QQ will resume though
Reply Quote
Looks like most of you missing my perspective. Ok, another example:

I found amazing item and ready to pay all my money for it, I put all my money on that bid and go to sleep. I wake up and see that my bid is still the leader, at the same time some of my items in auction were sold, and I got another 10-20m and I am ready to add that money to my bid.
The time X:
before 3 second of auction end, somebody kills my bid and wins the item. I do not have a time to rise up my bid and as result I loose the item.

Is it clear now? It is the flaw in this auction! Wins not the person who is ready to give more money for lot, but who is faster in the last 5 seconds of trades.

Nope, you just watch the auction until the last few seconds and bid then with whatever amount you have to bid with.

Its not that difficult.......haven't any of the people complaining that the AH is broken ever used eBay before or bothered to learn what a proxy auction is? Your lack of understanding and unwillingness/inability to learn what a proxy auction is doesn't make it broken.
Reply Quote
11/16/2012 12:33 PMPosted by Alec
that's obvious - I've got new funds, and want to increase my bid.

So basically your problem is that you can't afford the item in the first place and you want to keep extending the time until you somehow manage to scrape enough together to afford it. Sorry, if you don't have enough gold and/or money for the item you don't have enough. There is no reason to waste the seller's or the other bidders' time so you can try to earn enough to buy it.
Reply Quote
This the nature of auctions, though not a bad idea, OP.
Reply Quote
dude just put the max bid you're willing to bid and let d3 auto bid

then u dont have to beat around the bush with all these whack ideas
Reply Quote
Bid for what you are willing to pay. Problem solve!!!
Reply Quote
This QQ post should be buried. The AH system is just fine.
Reply Quote
That's why when possible always go for items with a buyout to avoid this bidding "madness"

One more thing, do not put a "ridiculously" high bid on an item you "consider" must have...lets say you want a Mempo (worth around 15M) that's a got a very low starting bid (500K), do NOT bid (just throwing out a number 30M on it)...there are ways that people can "drive up the bid price on you" either through a "hack" or simply with the "old buddy system" to near what your maximum bid actually is...now that 30M you put on that Mempo (that's actually worth 15M) is going to cause you to overpay for it.

Sadly you are left with the one option if you are hell bent on bidding on items without a buyout...get out your "stop watch" and bid with less than 10 seconds and let the chips fall where they may.
Reply Quote
i won my first bid war last night after countless fails. someone offered me help, gave me tips and whatnots. i watched the item get ballooned but don't matter. i only sniped and never ballooned it no matter what. stopwatch helps and now i am addicted to bidding @_@
Reply Quote
Congratulations on showing your ignorance of how the bidding system already works. You have not done any basic research on the forums (heaps of these misguided threads already exist) or read the website.https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/diablo-iii-auction-house-functionality#q4It's called Proxy Bidding and will solve all your problems.Actually, please don't take any notice of all the advice here and keep low-ball bidding. I enjoy getting items cheaply at the last minute from people like you.

11/16/2012 08:37 PMPosted by Naeblis
Its working as intended. Its a proxy auction;its supposed to work this way. If they changed auctions to the system you propose, auctions would basically be never ending. Learn how to time your bids or put in your max bid from the start. Its that simple.

11/16/2012 10:53 PMPosted by TheSaint
Alec I hope you don't handle any money in any of your jobs. You might get confused why the man is handing you a twenty dollar bill for the big Mac combo, I would only assume you would find a flaw in the transaction. Something about being paid minimum wage and others being able to afford a big Mac combo, your pay should be increased every time a customer purchases a big Mac combo so you can fairly buy one every time someone else buys one.

OMG, you completely missed my perspective. Read carefully the example I showed. The leader on the lot is in advance in not favorable position, because he does not have a time to increase the bid, if somebody will kill his bid 3sec before the end.

Once again: you put all your money on the lot 100m - because you want to buy it for any price. 60sec left before the end, some of your items were sold in auc and you got another 10-20m to put into your bid, you watch the current bid and see that it is getting closer to your bid, you have funds but cannot increase your bid, 3sec left: somebody kills your bid and wins, you doesnt have a time to answer on new bid.

during this discussion we found several solutions for that:
1. reset timer to 60sec if lot leader changed less than 60sec before the end
2. add ability for leader increase his bid (feature)
3. mark item, to watch it in your lots tab without making a bid.
Edited by Alec#2540 on 11/17/2012 12:41 AM PST
Reply Quote
during this discussion we found several solutions for that:
1. reset timer to 60sec if lot leader changed less than 60sec before the end
2. add ability for leader increase his bid (feature)
3. mark item, to watch it in your lots tab without making a bid.

But more importantly we learned that if it isn't broken you shouldn't fix it. l2p, or in this case, l2AH. Although option 2/3 would be tolerable if blizzard wants to take a break from working on real issues.
Reply Quote
11/17/2012 12:51 AMPosted by Saberfenix
1) an item with 1 million starting bid starts with no BO. you bid 30 mil cos u think the item is worth 30 mil or thats all you can afford or you think you will get lucky at that price ....and then at the last second u get ninja outbid. you QQ and complain. you go to the forums u QQ some more about something u dont understand.

please read this entire thread carefully. You missed 1 very important thing: you want the item for any price, you put all our money on it. BUT from the moment you made the bid and 1 minutes before the end you got more money from selling items. YOU are READY to add that money to your bid, but you CANNOT because you are the leader, and you DO NOT have a time to kill 3sec "ninja" before the end of trade.
Reply Quote
11/17/2012 12:19 AMPosted by Alec
Once again: you put all your money on the lot 100m

Stopped reading here!

Please mouse over your gold in-game and read the tooltip, which says that you should not spend all you gold in one place.

This is why majority of the scrublings are perma-broke, because they can't simply comprehend what they can and can't afford. They spend all their gold on some crap and then come to forums complaining how the system is broken, how "flippers" are evil, how all items should be soulbound etc. etc. etc. ad nauseum.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]