Diablo® III

Auction flaw: the bid 3secs before the end

Bidding wars are fun. And outsniping a sniper is the best.
Reply Quote
I'm so tired of these threads made by frustrated people that lost an auction to the highest bidder. There is no such thing as a SNIPER. That is bull. It's simply called using your BRAIN and being CLEVER and also bidding the MAXIMUM YOU are willing to pay for that item. Plain and simple. If you win, be happy. If you lose, then someone was willing to PAY MORE than you... so what's the problem?

And, no, the bidding at the last second is not a problem and no, the timer should not be reset.

For once, this statement is true: Working as intended.
Edited by InstantOcean#1793 on 11/17/2012 4:22 AM PST
Reply Quote
Doesn't seem like anything is wrong with the way bidding works now. Yes you can get sniped but you can also snipe someone else. Its just part of the game. If you understand how the system works you wont have a problem.

Personally i would like to see the ability to set shorter auction times and sell groups of items together (like.. I want to sell complete gear setup or 3 pieces of IK set etc..).

edit an option to add to your max bid without raising your own bid would be nice too.
Edited by Dirk#1799 on 11/17/2012 4:32 AM PST
Reply Quote
11/17/2012 04:22 AMPosted by InstantOcean
I'm so tired of these threads made by frustrated people that lost an auction to the highest bidder. There is no such thing as a SNIPER. That is bull. It's simply called using your BRAIN and being CLEVER and also bidding the MAXIMUM YOU are willing to pay for that item. Plain and simple. If you win, be happy. If you lose, then someone was willing to PAY MORE than you... so what's the problem?

according to this scenario i need to wait until 1min left in order to put as max bid as i can, right? I need to search desired item every time in order to check it, as I stated there could be a feature either "mark item" without making a bid to see it in lot tab, either feature "increase your bid"
Reply Quote
11/17/2012 04:58 AMPosted by Alec

according to this scenario i need to wait until 1min left in order to put as max bid as i can, right? I need to search desired item every time in order to check it, as I stated there could be a feature either "mark item" without making a bid to see it in lot tab, either feature "increase your bid"

No, you can put your MAXBID on items that you can actually AFFORD right when you find them.
If you are blowing all the gold on ONE item, you can't AFFORD it in the first place. It is called irresponsible ingame finance management.
No AH changes will fix that.
Reply Quote
deleted
Edited by slicktrick#1483 on 11/17/2012 6:34 AM PST
Reply Quote
If there is going to be time ending, each person should only be able to bid on an item one time, and there should not be any visible updates. All everyone sees is the minimum bid. At the end of the auction, the person who made the largest bid wins.
Edited by slicktrick#1483 on 11/17/2012 6:35 AM PST
Reply Quote
Don't use AH.
Reply Quote
The ENTIRE point of an auction is to NOT pay the maximum your willing to pay but pay as little as possible. As soon as two people follow the genius advice of our forum's 'financial advisors', the price of the item right and then there goes through the roof.

The 'maximum that people are willing to pay' is what the BUYOUT option is for. The entire point of an auction is to get a deal and hopefully pay as little as possible. Bidding 'the maximum your willing to pay' is entirely in favor of the seller and basically makes all of the bidders out to be complete jack a**es. If everyone bids the maximum they're willing to pay, the price of the item immediately jumps to those prices. An auction is supposed to slowly increase and give each bidder the option to continue to raise their bid until there is only one bidder left. Nine times out of ten that last bid is going to be waaaaay lower than what the maximum that person wanted to pay was.

Are you a fool?The advice 'bid' the maximum your willing to pay is a spot on advice that clearly you can't comprehend at ALL so let me explain.There is a BIG difference between what your willing to pay and what the item is worth?For example a item could be worth a buyout price of 100 mill but if your only willing to pay 60-70 then wait till the last minute and bid your max.

Clearly your a fool that has never won a auction or you wouldn't be here talking...I just won a crit chance prower worth 170-200 mill for a measly 80 mill which I gave to my friend for 120 and all I did was bid my max, that is all.Get it through your thick skull, because clearly the concept of maximum bid and buyout bid is a hard concept for you to understand.

P.S A auction is worth as much as people pay for it, not something that is 'suppose' to be many times lower then buy out price..This is not storage wars.
Edited by Skylitmoon#1501 on 11/17/2012 6:44 AM PST
Reply Quote
welcome to 2001 ebay scrubs
Reply Quote
you didn't bid enough then

if you don't want to get outbid put down a bigger bid. that's why we have reserve bidding
Reply Quote
I do the same this as OP only I go hmmmm the bid is at 700k and I'm willing to pay up to 5M for it.

Not hmmm the bid is 700k I'll bid 1M at the end, that'll win it!!

Have not been disappointed yet and have scored some nice upgrades cheap.
Reply Quote
After reading this thread, i seriously cannot understand how people can be this stupid, and still work out how to use a computer and install diablo 3.
Reply Quote
Maybe someone installed it for them?
Reply Quote
More and more people make bids when 1-5 secs left before auction ends. As result you dont have a time to make a higher bid - the auction is ended.

Let me show you how to exploit it:
1. find your lot in AH
2. click on search every second and watch your clocks with seconds, when the time is changed from f.e. 30mins to 29mins before the end, mark the seconds on your clock when it changed.
3. click make a bid
4. put there max gold value you are ready to bid.
5. press CTRL+C
6. click cancel the bid
7. watch your clocks with marked seconds
8. when ~5sec left before the end, click on make a bid
9. press CTRL+V
10. click OK

The solution: as in real auction: if lot leader was changed less than 60 seconds before the end, reset the timer to 60sec again.

Example:
lot: sword, current price - 100k , buyout - no.
player1 is the leader on this lot and made 500k bid.
30secs left before the end:
player2 makes a bid 200k - current price grows up to 200k, player1 - still the leader (timer is not reset)
5secs left:
player2 makes a bid 600k - current price grows up to 600k, player2 - is the new leader (timer should be reset here to 60sec).
60secs left:
now player1 has a time to make higher bid or disregard this lot.

the main Idea: Auction timer should be reset to 60sec every time when lot leader is changed.

A lot of things in this world you only get one shot at. If you miss it, someone else will not. Can you imagine if you screwed up an interview for a job? You can't go back and say "Oh no! Give me one more shot, I promise I'll do better than the other guy!" It's just not going to work.

Stop complaining, if you want to win every single auction, put in a price you know no one will match, or else shut it and move on.
Reply Quote
11/16/2012 06:21 AMPosted by PureLaine
Man, this is the same auction system as eBay. Go tell eBay that his Auction System is flawed 1st.

maybe he should. just because the other ppl use the system doesnt make it right. that kind of logic is called bandwagoning.

tbh i dont see why they wouldnt want a system as described by the OP. blizz takes a cut of the profit for themselves. so the longer the auction goes the more they get. it would also make the seller happier for the same reason because they would get more as well.

basically it just ends the problem of auction sniping and allows ppl to continuously bid for it.
Reply Quote
11/17/2012 07:40 AMPosted by Morogoth
Man, this is the same auction system as eBay. Go tell eBay that his Auction System is flawed 1st.

maybe he should. just because the other ppl use the system doesnt make it right. that kind of logic is called bandwagoning.

tbh i dont see why they wouldnt want a system as described by the OP. blizz takes a cut of the profit for themselves. so the longer the auction goes the more they get. it would also make the seller happier for the same reason because they would get more as well.

basically it just ends the problem of auction sniping and allows ppl to continuously bid for it.

With time extensions you've traded one problem for another. Shill bidding would become much more problematic. I prefer the current system.
Reply Quote
Many sellers depend on getting their gold when the auction ends. If you sell and buy at a high volume, you need to know when you will be getting your gold so you can place your next set of bids. You don't want your auctions extended indefinitely because then you don't know what the timing of your cash streams will be.
Edited by Naeblis#1222 on 11/17/2012 8:00 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]