Diablo® III

Auction flaw: the bid 3secs before the end

maybe he should. just because the other ppl use the system doesnt make it right. that kind of logic is called bandwagoning.

tbh i dont see why they wouldnt want a system as described by the OP. blizz takes a cut of the profit for themselves. so the longer the auction goes the more they get. it would also make the seller happier for the same reason because they would get more as well.

basically it just ends the problem of auction sniping and allows ppl to continuously bid for it.

With time extensions you've traded one problem for another. Shill bidding would become much more problematic. I prefer the current system.

i dont see the problem here other then legal issues. if you bid up to the most you want to spend then still get outbid then you werent going to win anyway. in the case of shill bidding though whos to say they are doing it? those are some strong accusations after all, and you need some proof they are doing it to back up those kind of claims. aside from the fact that most people cant supply proof, the system now doesnt do anything to hinder shill bids. so there is no difference.
Edited by Morogoth#1321 on 11/17/2012 8:04 AM PST
Reply Quote

With time extensions you've traded one problem for another. Shill bidding would become much more problematic. I prefer the current system.

i dont see the problem here other then legal issues. if you bid up to the most you want to spend then still get outbid then you werent going to win anyway. in the case of shill bidding though whos to say they are doing it? those are some strong accusations after all, and you need some proof they are doing it to back up those kind of claims. aside from the fact that most people cant supply proof, the system now doesnt do anything to hinder shill bids. so there is no difference.

If I put in my maximum bid in the last few seconds, a shill bidder won't have time to determine what that bid is by incrementally increasing the price. The current lack of extension hinders it. Ebay makes some effort to reduce shill bidding, but I don't see how Blizzard could make any realistic inroads if it became widespread.
Reply Quote
11/17/2012 07:11 AMPosted by vexorian
according to this scenario i need to wait until 1min left in order to put as max bid as i can, right?

Noo.

What No?
I have 100m on my hands and put it into bid, in f.e. 12hours when auction ends, I've got another 10-20m from selling items, and want to add it to bid, so at the end of trades I have more money to put into the bid, is it clear now?
Reply Quote
View profile
Clearly the OP understands market economics and the law of supply and demand about as well as the POTUS Council of Economic Advisors
Reply Quote
More and more people make bids when 1-5 secs left before auction ends. As result you dont have a time to make a higher bid - the auction is ended.

Let me show you how to exploit it:
1. find your lot in AH
2. click on search every second and watch your clocks with seconds, when the time is changed from f.e. 30mins to 29mins before the end, mark the seconds on your clock when it changed.
3. click make a bid
4. put there max gold value you are ready to bid.
5. press CTRL+C
6. click cancel the bid
7. watch your clocks with marked seconds
8. when ~5sec left before the end, click on make a bid
9. press CTRL+V
10. click OK

The solution: as in real auction: if lot leader was changed less than 60 seconds before the end, reset the timer to 60sec again.

Example:
lot: sword, current price - 100k , buyout - no.
player1 is the leader on this lot and made 500k bid.
30secs left before the end:
player2 makes a bid 200k - current price grows up to 200k, player1 - still the leader (timer is not reset)
5secs left:
player2 makes a bid 600k - current price grows up to 600k, player2 - is the new leader (timer should be reset here to 60sec).
60secs left:
now player1 has a time to make higher bid or disregard this lot.

the main Idea: Auction timer should be reset to 60sec every time when lot leader is changed.

Its working as intended. Its a proxy auction;its supposed to work this way. If they changed auctions to the system you propose, auctions would basically be never ending. Learn how to time your bids or put in your max bid from the start. Its that simple.

Basically this, people would be lowballing all day, bidding only the 5% increment till they get tired and figure it's not worth it, people with money will win items still. This is the best efficient way.
Reply Quote
View profile
Don't agree with this, if not someone kind just find an item they want and have a bot program do the rest and people with Bazillions of Gold will win every auction. Sniping levels the playing field and gives everyone a chance. Bid the highest amount you are willing to pay if you get outbid, then someone simply wanted it more.
Reply Quote
The D3 AH works like every other blind auction. It's fine as it is for anyone who understands the rules of the auction game.
Reply Quote
More and more people make bids when 1-5 secs left before auction ends. As result you dont have a time to make a higher bid - the auction is ended.

Let me show you how to exploit it:
1. find your lot in AH
2. click on search every second and watch your clocks with seconds, when the time is changed from f.e. 30mins to 29mins before the end, mark the seconds on your clock when it changed.
3. click make a bid
4. put there max gold value you are ready to bid.
5. press CTRL+C
6. click cancel the bid
7. watch your clocks with marked seconds
8. when ~5sec left before the end, click on make a bid
9. press CTRL+V
10. click OK

The solution: as in real auction: if lot leader was changed less than 60 seconds before the end, reset the timer to 60sec again.

Example:
lot: sword, current price - 100k , buyout - no.
player1 is the leader on this lot and made 500k bid.
30secs left before the end:
player2 makes a bid 200k - current price grows up to 200k, player1 - still the leader (timer is not reset)
5secs left:
player2 makes a bid 600k - current price grows up to 600k, player2 - is the new leader (timer should be reset here to 60sec).
60secs left:
now player1 has a time to make higher bid or disregard this lot.

the main Idea: Auction timer should be reset to 60sec every time when lot leader is changed.

at the first part, you basically tell people to snipe the items that snipers want

and the 2nd part doesn't make sense, how the hell when player 2 makes a 200k bid when the current bid is 100k would player 1 still be the leader?

and btw, when you want to say for example, you don't say "f.e.", you say "e.g."
Edited by FrancisLi#3733 on 11/17/2012 12:39 PM PST
Reply Quote
If it's such a flaw and exploit, then take advantage of it
Reply Quote
i reckon it would be a good idea if someone bids on an auction in the last 5sec the auction will continue to stand for another 10-30sec. Making it fair for other players to have a go bidding, and to get rid of proxy bidding
Reply Quote
11/17/2012 01:40 PMPosted by MrMiraculum
reckon it would be a good idea if someone bids on an auction in the last 5sec the auction will continue to stand for another 10-30sec. Making it fair for other players to have a go bidding, and to get rid of proxy bidding

You already had 36 hours to have a go at bidding. That is plenty fair.
Reply Quote
11/17/2012 01:40 PMPosted by MrMiraculum
i reckon it would be a good idea if someone bids on an auction in the last 5sec the auction will continue to stand for another 10-30sec. Making it fair for other players to have a go bidding, and to get rid of proxy bidding

LMAO... what do you think would happen after that 10-30 sec? Let me think... errr... hummm... BAM! Yes, I got it. Another last second high bid.

This would only stretch the problem. The system is OK the way it is and needs no change. Bid what you are willing to pay and that's it. You win, cool. You lose, next time, bid higher or select a cheaper item if you don't have the gold. Simple as that.
Reply Quote
Tell you a little story...

Found this PERFECT item for my toon with a ridiculously low starting bid. But 6 hours to go. I don't bid, I just check to see if anyone bid on it yet. They did... ninja bid. OK.. Played for 5h 45 min and then came back to AH and locked on TARGET. I was prepared, timer in hand to synch with AH timer... When the item had like 1 min to go, the bids started pouring in like crazy! Item went up and up... so I don't bid because I'm prepared to lay MILs on that baby. 8 sec before closing, I drop a 9 MIL bid on it, thinking and saying to myself " Muahahaha! I got it!!!"

Item sold for over 40MIL. Moral of the story is that I didn't have enough gold to bid on such an item and another player had the gold and he got it. Good for him.

End of story.
Reply Quote
I also thing AH bots are behind lot of sniping due to my latest experience:
I had 21M to spend on an upgrade on weekend and tried to bid in the last seconds...never succeeded.
Everytime i tried to bid in the last 5secs something strange happened- an error occured and I couldnt log back to the AH- something about AH being too busy. Each time I actually had to restart the game to be able to log to AH and bid again.

I thought I was setting the clock too tightly thus maybe being inaccurate with it in...tried to set it to last 10secs- the same thing happened.

Then I lowered the time for placing bids - honestly at that time just looking for a good deal with low start bidding price out of curiosity rather than for a real upgrade and found out this does not happen once I bid before last 15secs.

So I tried to bid repeatedly on one item refreshing the price and overbiding myself nonstop in last 15secs...yeah. Still I was outbid. The error occured again after 3 consecutive bids after the magic limit of last 15seconds.

Funny thing is that I was never outbid by larger sum that what the minimal bid was ATM (calculated that from the history of my bids).
It was for a 6% CC 9% AS +AVG DMG ring, put there for really ridiculous starting price.
I was sure then that I could time the bidding accordingly and still considered the possibility of more players placing consecutively the bid showing on their screen as minimal at that time.
So I looked for an item that would be very impractical yet would have 2 stats considered valuable.
And I was outbid the same way :))
Went through my stash and put an impractical but 6perc CC ring to the AH for low buyout price...BAM! Sold about one sec after I put it there- instantly.
I read really fast but this....anyway it must be targeted for some items, because there were auctions I won by regular biding even in the last 15 secs and it felt normal.
So tell me- is this my paranoia or are the bots ruling the AH?
Reply Quote
Flaw? lol. you failed... period. Winning auctions Isn't a gods given rite, it's a competition. You lost. You are quite aware of the rules and if the rules you are suggesting are introduces then the person who wins would be the person who stay on longer. I for one will jump on in my lunch break when an auction is ending to try to win the final bid. If it kept extending for a min because someone bid a tiny bit more constantly I would never get to bid on anything.

Bottom line you know the rules of the auction, stop calling things a flaw just because the don't work in your favor
Reply Quote
first, dont bid on items you cant afford

second, i almost always just bid the max gold amount im willing to pay for an item < 30m or as close to the auction end as possible. I dont ever put in my max bid right away because i notice people like to fish sometimes to see where the highest bid is, and that increases competition for some reason.

third,

unless your item is so gfg rare (e.g a rare 1h sword that is worth 2b+) i dont understand why anyone ever puts up an AH without a bin. you lose gold.
Edited by holycrawler#1302 on 11/17/2012 3:41 PM PST
Reply Quote
Why can't you add to a maximum bid? Thats dumb as hell. If I bit 50 million on an item, then I want to bid another 20 million, I am screwed because I can't add or retract my bid? Or has this been fixed?
Reply Quote
Did i just sniped u OP? Or are u high?
Edited by Super#1428 on 11/17/2012 5:06 PM PST
Reply Quote
aint u sapposed to be outraged at the some football game or something? QQ
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]