Diablo® III

Auction flaw: the bid 3secs before the end

can someone helpe me clear things out?

see last night i was........sniping an item and when i put in my bid, it still went in REGARDLESS of saying 'expired' in the time. i thought i missed out but i still got the item. what happened there?

i'm not sure if after my bid went in is when the time expired or after time expired before my bid went in.

i still got the item so woot
Reply Quote
can someone helpe me clear things out?

see last night i was........sniping an item and when i put in my bid, it still went in REGARDLESS of saying 'expired' in the time. i thought i missed out but i still got the item. what happened there?

i'm not sure if after my bid went in is when the time expired or after time expired before my bid went in.

i still got the item so woot

lmao... nice troll... I have to admit.

Thx for the lolerz... needed that!
Reply Quote
The ENTIRE point of an auction is to NOT pay the maximum your willing to pay but pay as little as possible. As soon as two people follow the genius advice of our forum's 'financial advisors', the price of the item right and then there goes through the roof.

The 'maximum that people are willing to pay' is what the BUYOUT option is for. The entire point of an auction is to get a deal and hopefully pay as little as possible. Bidding 'the maximum your willing to pay' is entirely in favor of the seller and basically makes all of the bidders out to be complete jack a**es. If everyone bids the maximum they're willing to pay, the price of the item immediately jumps to those prices. An auction is supposed to slowly increase and give each bidder the option to continue to raise their bid until there is only one bidder left. Nine times out of ten that last bid is going to be waaaaay lower than what the maximum that person wanted to pay was.

Are you a fool?The advice 'bid' the maximum your willing to pay is a spot on advice that clearly you can't comprehend at ALL so let me explain.There is a BIG difference between what your willing to pay and what the item is worth?For example a item could be worth a buyout price of 100 mill but if your only willing to pay 60-70 then wait till the last minute and bid your max.

Clearly your a fool that has never won a auction or you wouldn't be here talking...I just won a crit chance prower worth 170-200 mill for a measly 80 mill which I gave to my friend for 120 and all I did was bid my max, that is all.Get it through your thick skull, because clearly the concept of maximum bid and buyout bid is a hard concept for you to understand.

P.S A auction is worth as much as people pay for it, not something that is 'suppose' to be many times lower then buy out price..This is not storage wars.

Dude your obviously some third world monkey who has never actually even been to an auction outside of watching ebay from your basement. As soon as two geniuses follow your 'advice' the seller has just pretty much ripped everyone a new a**hole. This is obviously a difference in what people consider to be an auction, so Im not going to waste my time trying to explain it to you.

Try to wrap your mind around the concept that its something like bluffing in poker. You don't want to immediately make known what the maximum is your willing to pay. Your bluffing the person selling the item, not the other bidders, Einstein. As soon as two stupid monkeys follow your advice and bid the maximum they're williing to pay, the seller has just sold the item at that price.
Reply Quote

i wasn't trolling and was asking a real question regarding such matter and if anyone, who has experienced this, chip in their thoughts.
Reply Quote

i wasn't trolling and was asking a real question regarding such matter and if anyone, who has experienced this, chip in their thoughts.

The problem is that the 3rd world ebayers have a different idea of what an auction is from those of us who actually have some knowledge of the real world. The way it is now is just a bad combination of elements, i.e. with having an increasing visible bid and a time limit subject to lag/limitations etc. As I said before, if the auction is going to end at a certain known time, just have invisible bidding. All you see is the minimum bid and the ending time. It doesn't visibly update. Then at the end of the auction, whoever bid the highest wins the item. That will satisfy the ebayers and also not jack up the price of the item in favor of the seller.
Reply Quote
invisible bidding, that's interesting.
Reply Quote
I'm sorry, but I just don't see the reason for all the angst about the AH. Blizzard chose to use proxy bidding; this is how proxy bidding works. They clearly explain how it works so there is no excuse for not understanding it. Additionally, you aren't forced to use the AH. You can find your own gear, use the trade channel in the game or even use the trade forums here. Blizzard just provided the GAH to help reduce scamming and the RMAH to get a piece of the money from all of the cash trades/item buying that were a part of D2. If you don't like it; don't use it. The majority of users are fine with how the AH works. Just because the OP doesn't know how/can't figure out how to do proxy bidding doesn't mean it needs to change. They just need to learn how it works.

Its just sad in this watered down, no child left behind era people feel entitled to have everything given to them. If they don't understand; its not their fault. If they can't figure it out, we're supposed to dumb it down until they can even if it is to the detriment of everyone else even if they are the majority. In other words, stop expecting everything to change to revolve around you; the explanation of how proxy auctions work is provided for you by Blizzard. Instead of spending your time creating posts whining about the system, spend that same amount of time learning how it works.
Reply Quote
This is difference between online and real world auctions. In an online auction it ends at the time stated. In a real world auction the auctioneer restarts the "timer" on the bid at the end of the last bid. Its actually better for the auctioneer because the bid will go higher and they make more money. I guess blizz just wanted to follow the online model. I don't think it is good for the customers or the auctioneers but there it is.
Reply Quote
Just because "ebay does it" doesn't mean it's the best way to do things. The "flaw" here is that it's most profitable for any buyer to wait until the last minute to buy things. If you want to use the ebay example consider this- on ebay you usually have a pretty good idea of what an item is worth when the auction is nearing an end. Sure you may get outbid in the last minute, however, on the Diablo Auction House, items can frequently triple in the last 10 minutes because that is when it is most profitable to bid. People who say "just bid what you are willing" to pay are not buying high price items. Having 200 million gold tied up in an auction that you have been winning for 36 hours only to be outbid by 205 in the last 10 seconds is disheartening, and it the reason people are complaining. Another thing to consider- in Diablo 3 your best character can be "shutdown" for 3-5 days if you sell an item on them to purchase an upgrade. (this is more applicable for high level characters with high level gear, so if you aren't there yet think outside the box and pretend for a second)
Reply Quote
If you can't afford to have 200 million gold tied up in a bid, you can't afford the item.......bid on what you can actually afford. If you get so emotionally involved in auction that losing it seriously bothers you, take a step back and realize its just a game. I am fairly sure that a sizable percentage of the people that use the auction house and are bidding on top end items know what they are worth.
Reply Quote
If you can't afford to have 200 million gold tied up in a bid, you can't afford the item.......bid on what you can actually afford. If you get so emotionally involved in auction that losing it seriously bothers you, take a step back and realize its just a game. I am fairly sure that a sizable percentage of the people that use the auction house and are bidding on top end items know what they are worth.

Where in the world are you drawing your conclusions? I obviously want to pay the "best or cheapest" price regardless of what the item is. Never once did I use the word "can't afford." If the gold is already in my account and the only way to upgrade is to spend 200 million what does your statement even mean? Unless I'm paying my rent with Diablo 3 gold what you've said makes no sense. I've never been "emotionally involved" in an auction, I'm giving examples of why I feel the system is flawed. I think the auction house would absolutely be improved by adding just 60 seconds to a bid that occurs in the last few seconds. For the record, I snipe bids all the time because it is most profitable, but I would much rather not have this be the only way to bid on auctions.
Reply Quote
11/17/2012 09:34 PMPosted by RugDoctor

Where in the world are you drawing your conclusions? I obviously want to pay the "best or cheapest" price regardless of what the item is. Never once did I use the word "can't afford." If the gold is already in my account and the only way to upgrade is to spend 200 million what does your statement even mean? Unless I'm paying my rent with Diablo 3 gold what you've said makes no sense. I've never been "emotionally involved" in an auction, I'm giving examples of why I feel the system is flawed. I think the auction house would absolutely be improved by adding just 60 seconds to a bid that occurs in the last few seconds. For the record, I snipe bids all the time because it is most profitable, but I would much rather not have this be the only way to bid on auctions.

What he's saying is that if the item is worth 200M to you, bid 200M even if the price is currently 60M, because if no one else bids, you'll get it for a little over 60M. Whether you bid 200M now, or bid 65M with 3 seconds to go is irrelevant, except of course, if someone bids 90M with 2 seconds to go, you'll get it for 90M instead of not getting it at all.

The AH doesn't need to be adjusted, people just need to bid what they're actually willing to pay instead of trying to snipe, losing, and then whining.
Reply Quote
I never get why people complain about this, the system is perfect. Put the max bid you are willing to pay, and it will only go up to increments and not put down all the money, but one bid higher (10%) more than what they felt like it, until you hit your max at all and then get a refund. If you get sniped in the last minute, then you obviously didn't put down enough and it wasn't worth that much to you. There are snipers that overpay however and end up not really making much money all the time. If you think an item is worth 50 mil, put down 50 mil, but dont complain when someone puts down 51 mil. You had the chance to put down a higher bid but you proved it wasn't worth that much when you put your max bid. I don't think you guys understand how it won't actually take your max bid, you get a REFUND of whatever wasn't used in your max bid. Example: I put a max bid on a manticore for 3 mil. Someone put a max bid of 2 mil when it was at 500k previously, so therefore the current bid went up to 2.1mil i believe, and if I won, i get a refund of .9 mil. If I lost, well then they would have overpayed in my opinion because 3 mil is the max i think it's worth
Reply Quote
actually real auctions are better than Ebay.

in real auctions you always have the opportunity to up your bid. higher than what you first thought you would pay for the item.

in ebay you have 5 million fat housewives sitting at home waiting for the auction to be just a few seconds from ending and they all plop in a bid hoping to be winner.

both require you to be there at the end of the auction.

but only the real auctions allow you to Re-bid.

you might get a warning that you are no longer the winner of the item and instantly that item is no longer available.....

do some people think that the Ebay system is better? why?

as far as im concerned, it invites conniving behavior. it allows you to trick players and people to think they are wininng and then 1 second before the item is sold...they get outbid and can do nothing about it....Nothing.

saying that they should have put a few million more onto there "highest bid" would not prevent them from losing the item thats for sure...
Edited by Shurgosa#1196 on 11/18/2012 12:15 AM PST
Reply Quote
11/17/2012 08:10 PMPosted by Naeblis
Just because the OP doesn't know how/can't figure out how to do proxy bidding doesn't mean it needs to change. They just need to learn how it works.

Well, stop talking about that. No doubt, I DO know how AH works very well.

EBay Auc - is not a standard, i took a part in many auctions therer auto-prolong is posssible in case the leader is changed in the last minute.

Stop talking that it is a game, in this AH we have the real money - it is real.

in current fashion, I need to wait 5sec left in order to put my max bid and have the highest chance to win. Because my money funds grows every minute(I am selling items in AH). If I put a bid 1hour before the end of trades, I will be in advance in worse position because in last 5sec I will not have a time to increase the bid if I will get money from sold items. i dont understand why you cannot get this.

in case of auto-prolong all will get better: sellers, buyers, blizzard.
in real auto-prolong will not be long, because every next bid will grow in arithmetical progression.
Reply Quote
Is thi

11/18/2012 12:10 AMPosted by spideyboy
I never get why people complain about this, the system is perfect. Put the max bid you are willing to pay, and it will only go up to increments and not put down all the money, but one bid higher (10%) more than what they felt like it, until you hit your max at all and then get a refund. If you get sniped in the last minute, then you obviously didn't put down enough and it wasn't worth that much to you. There are snipers that overpay however and end up not really making much money all the time. If you think an item is worth 50 mil, put down 50 mil, but dont complain when someone puts down 51 mil. You had the chance to put down a higher bid but you proved it wasn't worth that much when you put your max bid. I don't think you guys understand how it won't actually take your max bid, you get a REFUND of whatever wasn't used in your max bid. Example: I put a max bid on a manticore for 3 mil. Someone put a max bid of 2 mil when it was at 500k previously, so therefore the current bid went up to 2.1mil i believe, and if I won, i get a refund of .9 mil. If I lost, well then they would have overpayed in my opinion because 3 mil is the max i think it's worth

Not sure why the concept is so hard to understand... the entire point of auctions, i.e. why they are fun is that you have the opportunity to get a good deal. The seller protects himself by setting the absolute minimum bid that he'll accept. If the item is good, in a normal auction, it will continue to increase until there is only one bidder. "Bidding the maximum your willing to pay" ENTIRELY deflates everything that is remotely fun or exciting about an auction and at the same time opens you up to getting bamboozled by some diablo 3 AH loser who can easily get a friend or an alt account and jack up the price TO YOUR MAXIMUM BID. So please for the sake of humanity stop trying to con eveyrone by telling them how harmless it is to just throw down the maximum they're willing to pay, like they're guaranteed to get a giant refund.

There are two solutions... either extend the bidding until there is a winner, or just make it an invisible bid that doesnt visibly update. As others have said, having the whole 500 million fat housewives jump on board in the last 10 seconds is just clumsy and ridiculous. Just make it one invisible bid for each person.. When its all said and done, whoever thought it was worth the most will have won.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]