Diablo® III

~ CM/WW HC Wizard Guide ~

View profile
just for record, i think this is actually a great guide for this build (not enough wizards in HC as is), and its definitely worth bumping. even if not every person posts something, im sure its worth a lot to some.

i used to run a demon hunter help thread back in 1.0.4, and after a while i noticed a lot of people saying "hey i read this for a long time and was too embarassed to post earlier, but now i actually need specific help". so i think although he may have been bumping himself, there was probably a number of read-throughs each time.

this just seems like a case of another person not liking dutch and nit-picking at everything he does XD. politics aside you cant argue he knows at least something about hardcore that would be beneficial to new wizards or even new HC players.
Reply Quote
View profile
just for record, i think this is actually a great guide for this build (not enough wizards in HC as is), and its definitely worth bumping. even if not every person posts something, im sure its worth a lot to some.

i used to run a demon hunter help thread back in 1.0.4, and after a while i noticed a lot of people saying "hey i read this for a long time and was too embarassed to post earlier, but now i actually need specific help". so i think although he may have been bumping himself, there was probably a number of read-throughs each time.

this just seems like a case of another person not liking dutch and nit-picking at everything he does XD. politics aside you cant argue he knows at least something about hardcore that would be beneficial to new wizards or even new HC players.

Thank you :) Very appreciated.
Reply Quote
i guess it also depends on how much wealth you already have in hc ;)
you can't just ~begin~ hc being able to use the spec listed in this guide

if u want to look at an hc ~climber's~ cm spec
/check me
Reply Quote
View profile
11/18/2012 07:10 PMPosted by Jarring
i guess it also depends on how much wealth you already have in hc ;)

It actually doesn't. If you're looking for the stats he posted, then yes. However, you can start small, and gradually transition into the build.

You also don't need to get perfect rolls + every stat on every item. You'll just need to search the market for what you need. If you search hard enough, or are willing to wait you can probably buy a set viable for this build for under 1m.
Reply Quote
View profile
BTW. Would you ever recommend Hydra over Explosive Blast? I've used a CM/WW Wiz in 1.03 (when the proc rate was still good), and I used Venom Hydra over Explosive Blast, and never had any problems regaining AP.

I haven't tried this build recently, so I don't know how badly WW proc rates got nerfed. I'm assuming it still generates enough AP with APoC even if you don't use Explosive Blast? Anyways, just a though (although it would probably be Arcane Hydra now).
Reply Quote
i wouldn't use hydra over explosive blast personally
i think explosive blast does a hella of a lot more dps than hydra and it's a lot more versatile

however, i would recommend getting crowd control reduction and dropping teleport for piercing orb

i like being able to switch between melee and range dps without any problems
Reply Quote
that's why i don't use wicked wind for your information.. i like storm chaser/piercing orb
Reply Quote
but i'm not going to give advice to people who have already established their specs in hc

i'm still climbing, and this is what works for ~me~
Reply Quote
BTW. Would you ever recommend Hydra over Explosive Blast? I've used a CM/WW Wiz in 1.03 (when the proc rate was still good), and I used Venom Hydra over Explosive Blast, and never had any problems regaining AP.

I haven't tried this build recently, so I don't know how badly WW proc rates got nerfed. I'm assuming it still generates enough AP with APoC even if you don't use Explosive Blast? Anyways, just a though (although it would probably be Arcane Hydra now).

also, all tornado proc rates have been nerfed considerably.. from .5 to .125

at first, they nerfed them all, cept for storm chaser(for some weird reason).. so a lot of people were using storm chaser without a primary..

but that's been nerfed now too so everyone went back to ww
Reply Quote
I consider myself a wizard kamikaze, cannot keep one alive. I lurk over all these wizard threads to get tips for my eventual reroll. Thanks for all the dialogue on wizards. The more you know, the more you know, you know? I like reading the opinions on builds and why/when certain skills are chosen. Even if I don't use a particular build, Im reading all these posts and deciding what's right for me.
Reply Quote
if u don't use teleport, you will soon find, like everyone else.. walls are the biggest threat.. especially in halls with arcane enchant
Reply Quote
TX for my wizzy
Reply Quote
also, one last thing, how much apoc you ~need~ is directly associated with how much cc you have.

...obviously
at first i said i needed around 15 which worked, but now i have 20 and it makes it a lot better
sure, i might be able to use more apoc by dropping my shield

but in my experience, i've personally found shields are key to building cm from scratch
being able to tank ranged attacks and every little bit that gets through is a relief.
Reply Quote
11/18/2012 09:17 PMPosted by Jarring
also, one last thing, how much apoc you ~need~ is directly associated with how much cc you have.

..cc AND attack speed. Attack speed influences amount of ww procs per second (mind the breakpoints). So both cc and attack speed can boos your mana regen significantly and lower the requirement for apoc. On sc my wiz manages easily with < 20 apoc (2 items)

In general cm/ww wizz is very efficient spec, allowing to play on higher mp in not so perfect gear, but is more risky than kiter in my opinion. I wouldn't overrate it, specially in hc, where life goes slower, where is no rush for paragon 100 and milions of hellfire rings.
Edited by StormBlast#2544 on 11/19/2012 7:57 AM PST
Reply Quote
This gives me something to shoot for ... and another reason to level another wizard!
Reply Quote
11/19/2012 07:53 AMPosted by StormBlast

..cc AND attack speed. Attack speed influences amount of ww procs per second (mind the breakpoints). So both cc and attack speed can boos your mana regen significantly and lower the requirement for apoc. On sc my wiz manages easily with < 20 apoc (2 items)

In general cm/ww wizz is very efficient spec, allowing to play on higher mp in not so perfect gear, but is more risky than kiter in my opinion. I wouldn't overrate it, specially in hc, where life goes slower, where is no rush for paragon 100 and milions of hellfire rings.

i thought attack speed might have something to do with it too, but i thought about it in a way of attack speed being how much ap you're dumping on enemies as well as getting it back.. meaning it doesn't really affect how much apoc u need.. it stays the same

but by all means i could be wrong about this.
Reply Quote
just finished inferno belial woot
idk if i want to venture into a3 just yet lozl
Reply Quote
View profile
11/16/2012 12:21 PMPosted by Lykotic
WD was Belial in 1.03, maybe 4, i guess. He's that boss your CM Wiz has never fought because you actually never progressed out of Act 1.

Why do so many people use Belial as a measure of toughness?.... I just don't understand this, maybe I just played way too much WoW which had bosses with similar mechanics back in Burning Crusade

Anyways back on topic. Looks like a really, really nice guide. I know next to nothing about Wizards (I am not looking forward for the two I have to level for my goal). Although I tend to build my own styles, I will probably reference this later for logic, thak you for the guide =)

I have a friend who runs this build, it is fantastic. Tons of fun, esp for the high dps characters in the group.
Reply Quote
View profile
Sorry, was busy these last few days.

In my opinion, the amount of APoC you NEED should be as much as you can possibly get. If it comes down to me running 80k DPS and 30 APoC or running 100k DPS and 20 APoC, I can promise you which option I'm going to use 100% of the time.

Storm Crow + Chantodo Wand + Tal Rasha's/Oculus .

Easiest 27-30 APoC you could possibly get. Cheap cheap items (100k for a Storm Crow, 100k for a chantodo [not the best ones, but starter ones] and 1M for 100-300 dmg oculus sources).

I really don't think we should be saying "I play a CM wizard on SC and this is all the APoC I need". Until you are progressing to MP4-6 on HC with 15 APoC, I don't think that's good advice to give people.

This isn't a game mode where you can die to a tough elite pack because you ran a little low on APoC and say "oops, darn, gotta port back". HC is always about better safe than sorry, and I gotta say - Having that extra 10 APoC when there are only 1 or 2 monsters on the screen and you're trying your best to lock them down with minimal crit hits is worth more than all the DPS in the world.

I'm 53% Crit Chance (in my proper gear, I'm wearing speed run gear at the moment) and over 1.9 Attacks per Second, and I still wouldn't want to stop using 28 APoC.

To each their own, obviously, but it is my opinion that APoC > Everything else when it comes to a HC Cm wiz
Reply Quote
...over 1.9 Attacks per Second, and I still wouldn't want to stop using 28 APoC.

To each their own, obviously, but it is my opinion that APoC > Everything else when it comes to a HC Cm wiz

Of course it is better to have more apoc than less.
Of course dps is not a key factor in this build.
The only problem is that (yes, in sc) I couldn't see even a tiny difference between having 2 or 3 apoc items. This build just works perfectly with 2 items, if your cc and atack speed are good enough. Read topic where someone provides breakpoints for ww proc rate for attack speeds - it is crucial to have it high: https://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6794871641?page=1 1.9 aps is low - you are getting only 24 ticks from ww. Personally I prefer andariels helm with ias over apoc helm. But in general the numbers are not so important - just wear what you think is best and test it on low difficulty.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]