Diablo® III

~ CM/WW HC Wizard Guide ~

View profile
...over 1.9 Attacks per Second, and I still wouldn't want to stop using 28 APoC.

To each their own, obviously, but it is my opinion that APoC > Everything else when it comes to a HC Cm wiz

Of course it is better to have more apoc than less.
Of course dps is not a key factor in this build.
The only problem is that (yes, in sc) I couldn't see even a tiny difference between having 2 or 3 apoc items. This build just works perfectly with 2 items, if your cc and atack speed are good enough. Read topic where someone provides breakpoints for ww proc rate for attack speeds - it is crucial to have it high: https://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6794871641?page=1 1.9 aps is low - you are getting only 24 ticks from ww. Personally I prefer andariels helm with ias over apoc helm. But in general the numbers are not so important - just wear what you think is best and test it on low difficulty.

So adding an Andy helm to bump my ApS from 1.95 to 2.09 and add 3 ticks is worth losing 9 APoC, ~400 LoH, 7-8% lightning damage, +4% dps vs elites, 20-40% chance to hurl a fireball that deals 80-100k dps (for me)?

It's not a fair trade off. Sorry, I don't agree.

I mean sure, if it was SC and I could get 4.5 ApS with all the cheap OP gear floating around, why not. But like I said, hard to compare HC to SC
Reply Quote
I'm a newly 60 HC wiz. I'd love to make the transition to CMWW eventually, but it's a long way off.

For the foreseeable future, I'm guessing Blizzard/Hydra is going to be the way to go. Do you have any experience using that build, and any farming tips to eventually allow me to gear for CMWW?
Reply Quote
11/21/2012 08:43 AMPosted by TheDutchMan
So adding an Andy helm to bump my ApS from 1.95 to 2.09 and add 3 ticks is worth losing 9 APoC, ~400 LoH, 7-8% lightning damage, +4% dps vs elites, 20-40% chance to hurl a fireball that deals 80-100k dps (for me)?

You would exchange medium loh and some dps vs more stable stun. It is always your choice. Plus I wouldn't be so sure about that dps even, as atack speed, crit and bigger int probably catch up for it. I wouldn't be so sure about the loh as well, because boosting attack speed gives you better loh from other items.

In general, attack speed is extremely important factor in this build, and very often overlooked.
Edited by StormBlast#2544 on 11/22/2012 4:33 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
11/22/2012 04:31 AMPosted by StormBlast

You would exchange medium loh and some dps vs more stable stun. It is always your choice. Plus I wouldn't be so sure about that dps even, as atack speed, crit and bigger int probably catch up for it. I wouldn't be so sure about the loh as well, because boosting attack speed gives you better loh from other items.

In general, attack speed is extremely important factor in this build, and very often overlooked.

Yeah but then I need to give up my dps amulet or rings (hellfire and litany, not going to happen) to find more LoH. That or I have to start ditching my main gear set items and take massive dps/ehp cuts just to find more regen. I personally will never swap out my storm crow. I think at 100k+ dps (effectively 200-250k with my runes + explosions don't really do the "written" dps) I am at a stage where maximizing my dps isn't priority as much as it is a sort of "perk".

For a new player to the build, which is what this guide is about, I would personally suggest a storm crow over a mempo/andy for 2 reasons:

1- Socketed storm crow is generally cheaper than a socketed Andy helm (mempo isn't even close to the same price)

2- APoC is going to help people more than IaS up until they become absolutely GFG. Even then, like I said, I'd prefer the 9-10 apoc and loh and extra dps from the fireball + % elemental damage vs. 2-3 more tornado tics.

But like we've both been saying, to each their own. I can only offer my opinion on the topic having played my HC CM/WW wiz for a fair bit now (26 p lvl without exp gems), but I'm sure there are ways outside my suggestions to make the build work. I just think it's alot easier for someone to start up a CM wiz by stacking as much APoC as possible, and from there they can decide to give up spaces for extra dps. I just don't think I'm personally in the market for bumping my dps from 100k to 109k at the cost of 33% of my APoC and all the added bonuses.

I'm a newly 60 HC wiz. I'd love to make the transition to CMWW eventually, but it's a long way off.

For the foreseeable future, I'm guessing Blizzard/Hydra is going to be the way to go. Do you have any experience using that build, and any farming tips to eventually allow me to gear for CMWW?

I used blizzard Hyrda for a short while on my first wizard, but found that I preferred Meteor hyrdra. It was more fun and made it possible to really lay down some crowd-control-based DPS (which has always been our job as wizards).

Here is a neat build, you could try it out. Just make sure you run it on MP0 for a while before you really get serious with it

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#bOPiXQ!Vfc!bcbZaZ
Reply Quote
View profile
Bump for someone who messaged me about a guide on jsp
Reply Quote
Thanks for the guide! I used to watch my boyfriend use this build on SC and was always amazed at how effective it was. Now that I've leveled my own wiz to 60 in HC, I've been searching for a guide showing a viable HC version. I do believe I've found it and will be collecting the gear to try this out soon!
Reply Quote
View profile
11/29/2012 07:10 AMPosted by GingeUrFace
Thanks for the guide! I used to watch my boyfriend use this build on SC and was always amazed at how effective it was. Now that I've leveled my own wiz to 60 in HC, I've been searching for a guide showing a viable HC version. I do believe I've found it and will be collecting the gear to try this out soon!

Sweet. Best of luck
Reply Quote
I lost my char some days ago..a WD with more than 250 hours play time and 37 paragon lvl..
...In my search to what class/build i should use(since i had many items left at my stash from the wd ) i found your thread and i made a wizard..i am currently farming act 3/keys with 3 friends of mine...my wd did a hell lotta damage and everyone thought with the wizard things will be tougher..but now they see the great control our group has over elite packs with the almost perma stun i offer ...hope d/c won't kill him soon:P
Thx again for the great guide.
Reply Quote
I think you should reply 4 or 5 times in a row everyday to bump your thread that clearly no one cares about. Thats really awesome

Dear Flip... your trolling has began to perturb me. Grow up.
Reply Quote
i recently tried this build and it works great. Super support. However it has NO room for mistakes. I accidently ported into being surrounded by ice balls and arcane sentries spinning everywhere. Heart was pumping as my health was at 20%. Life regen is a life savior btw. I would suggest adding in mirror image too if you are clumsy like me haha.
Edited by Dmurda#1599 on 11/29/2012 6:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
Bump for the new CM wiz that is asking for help :) maybe this will be a good starting point for him

good luck!
Reply Quote
11/29/2012 06:25 PMPosted by Dmurda
i recently tried this build and it works great. Super support. However it has NO room for mistakes. I accidently ported into being surrounded by ice balls and arcane sentries spinning everywhere. Heart was pumping as my health was at 20%. Life regen is a life savior btw. I would suggest adding in mirror image too if you are clumsy like me haha.

I noticed this as well. Have to be very careful not to get in over your head. You can go from facerolliing one minute to getting hurt very badly the next. Fire chains with shielding or teleport can get particularly annoying.
Reply Quote
So I ripped my 49 para monk after a big DC. Spent 120m gold on it the same day I died, leaving me with nothing.

I wanted to quit but gonna try a CM wiz just becuase it looks really fun. I had 8m gold to spend and this is the gear I got.
Is it okey to start act 3 inferno mp0 with it or what do i lack? Im broke (900k so maybe I can change one item) so can't really improve on anything. Act 1 and act 2 are of no interest since they are so extremly boring.
65k hp, 1,6 attacks per second, 41% crit, 400 loh, around 600 all res before buff and 31k dps.

Cheers for this guide!
Edited by iiss#2800 on 12/17/2012 2:34 PM PST
Reply Quote
Few things I thought id add. Good guide in general but few things i think need a touch of clarification.

With your initiation, teleporting in, especially for those new/undergeared with no windup is not really the safe option. Much easier and safer to drop a few tornados from a distance and then port. If you jump straight into packs even without chains/elec but have a natural affix like knockback such as the ghosts in act 1 or any other CC base affix your just asking for a reroll. Would also really recommend safe passage. Wormhole is great once your geared but the -30 from safe passage is lovely.

I agree that explosive blast is pretty much mandatory, but if your starting to overgear content have you tried obliterate? The dps is nice and no delay means that if you can one or two boom content your start up lag to effective dps from initiation is significantly reduced.

There seems to be much ago about ridiculously over APOCing yourself. And TBH if your running <45crit and or <2.5 aps, your really running a bit skimpy without 3 sources. Once you pass return barriers however, that extra sheet apoc is doing absolutely nothing for you. Its not too hard to get inventive and make the cut so you can free up an apoc slot.

Slov are nice for this since you can get a 900 dps 90 crit 1.55aps 8 twister variety for the fraction of the price of a similar dps chants model.

However, I think the strongest/least expensive build still lies with an ais (1.76+) chant with a high average non APOC chant offhand running a 10 apoc stormcrow. Obviously APOC chant set with gfg 6 crit mempo is the pinnacle but completely unattainable in HC so not really worth talking about. The dps difference on the APOC vs non-APOC is enormous for the same price, and infinitely cheaper than trying to pull 10k dps out of your jewellery or other slots seeing as your gimped to searching high ais + high cc + x.

Edit:

Forgot about shields. Really only the budget/undergeared/bad connections should go this route. Utility (ais from chants/apoc and apoc everything else) + enormous dps gains means you can kill so so much faster. Beats having survivability for another mp but taking 20 minutes an elite but hey, each their own.

Anyways, just a few thoughts.
Edited by Stever#6328 on 12/17/2012 3:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
So I ripped my 49 para monk after a big DC. Spent 120m gold on it the same day I died, leaving me with nothing.

I wanted to quit but gonna try a CM wiz just becuase it looks really fun. I had 8m gold to spend and this is the gear I got.
Is it okey to start act 3 inferno mp0 with it or what do i lack? Im broke (900k so maybe I can change one item) so can't really improve on anything. Act 1 and act 2 are of no interest since they are so extremly boring.
65k hp, 1,6 attacks per second, 41% crit, 400 loh, around 600 all res before buff and 31k dps.

Cheers for this guide!

I'm still new with this build so take all of this with a grain of salt but I would say get rid of the trium (not really as helpful with the non-black wand anyway) and get a int/vit oculus or tal source for the apoc. Also, can't say it enough, wiz spike is a great primary for people who are broke. 950+ wiz spikes run pretty cheap and I'd rather have the ra and faster attack speed than an equivilant chantodo's (plus getting a chantodo's with 1.65 aps or more is gonna cost a decent amount even in hc- I see yours is not). Even if these changes drop you to lower dps the extra apoc and aps will help more. IMO even 20-25k dps with this build would faceroll a3 mp0. Loh is low put honestly probably fine to get started - aim for a cheap pair of Blackthorn pants when you can afford (will put you out 12-15 mil, I'm still saving...).
Reply Quote

Cheers for this guide!

I'm still new with this build so take all of this with a grain of salt but I would say get rid of the trium (not really as helpful with the non-black wand anyway) and get a int/vit oculus or tal source for the apoc. Also, can't say it enough, wiz spike is a great primary for people who are broke. 950+ wiz spikes run pretty cheap and I'd rather have the ra and faster attack speed than an equivilant chantodo's (plus getting a chantodo's with 1.65 aps or more is gonna cost a decent amount even in hc- I see yours is not). Even if these changes drop you to lower dps the extra apoc and aps will help more. IMO even 20-25k dps with this build would faceroll a3 mp0. Loh is low put honestly probably fine to get started - aim for a cheap pair of Blackthorn pants when you can afford (will put you out 12-15 mil, I'm still saving...).

Thank you! Bought a new wand before i read this. It had lower attack speed and now I understand why you need high attack speed. The wand gave me 10k more dps but feels like its more worth having faster attack speed. Gonna resell it and look for wiz spike instead.

Edit; Found cheap chantodo with ias (1,71 attack speed) on AH so I picked it up. Time to hit act 3!
Edited by iiss#2800 on 12/17/2012 10:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
Could I possibly get a critique on my CM Wizard? I have no LoH and have been relying on Blood Magic, so I know that's where I need to start. I have 2.2 APS right now, with ~43% crit chance as well as almost 1,000 AR buffed.

I'm hesitant to farm solo on MP2+ so right now I've been farming in 4player public games, and even then, everything besides elites/bosses dies in 1-2 hits so I can't really get anything going.
Edited by GangnamStyle#1502 on 1/21/2013 11:30 AM PST
Reply Quote
I'd like your opinion.

My stats are as is:

42k (rounding up from 41.9k)
LoH: 463 (I know I need more but what is on the auction not i risk losing crit for it and I'm not really fond of that)
APoC: 27
CC: 40.5% (With Scoundrel)
Resists: Lowest is 647
DPS: 27k
Armor: Just over 4k with pismatic

I'm quite curious if I can farm Act III MP0 effectively and comfortably. I wreck Act I like its not ones business.
Reply Quote
View profile
I'd like your opinion.

My stats are as is:

42k (rounding up from 41.9k)
LoH: 463 (I know I need more but what is on the auction not i risk losing crit for it and I'm not really fond of that)
APoC: 27
CC: 40.5% (With Scoundrel)
Resists: Lowest is 647
DPS: 27k
Armor: Just over 4k with pismatic

I'm quite curious if I can farm Act III MP0 effectively and comfortably. I wreck Act I like its not ones business.

http://www.diabloprogress.com/hero/bloodmorphed-1702/Nocturnal/30748914

This site is a great tool (although some people consider an e-peen site, I think it really helps)

You're sitting at 264k EHP.

I would NOT farm anything but Inferno MP0 Act 1 for now.

264k EHP is just... really dangerous. I have ~700k EHP unbuffed on my wiz with the ability to kill things SUPER fast, and I can still die in MP2 to a screw up.

I would say farm on your other char until you have enough money to get your EHP to 350-400k unbuffed, and then you can try group playing in Act 3 a lot safer.

Trying to get your attacks per second from 1.64 to 2.0 will really help too, makes it much easier to keep AP filled up

GL
Reply Quote
Really? Didn't Know it was that low, I just just upgrade a few pieces though so it should go a little higher, the stats I just listed will not upgrade on bnet til later cause I only upgraded those pieces 20 minutes ago.

I cant farm on my barb on Act III either (and it very very boring on top of that), Not that it takes long to kill, but its just boring for me ATM. *shrug* was hopeing to farm Act I again but w.e,

PLus I plan on solo farming most of the time - not party. As I haven't found a good party to farm with yet.

EDIT: PLus i hit plvl 5 way before replacing some gear and it hasnt updated that yet so its inaccurate. I'll look at it when its updated fully.

EDIT2: Yup 334k EHP with 24k DPS now. Unfortunately i sacrifices 5kDPS for that EHP and survive ability.

EDIT3: Do our tornadoes Crit?
Edited by Bloodmorphed#1702 on 1/25/2013 5:31 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]