Diablo® III

~ CM/WW HC Wizard Guide ~

I'm on about 350k EHP, so I guess I need to get my EHP up more too before trying to increase my IAS.
Edited by Thominator#6377 on 1/26/2013 10:48 AM PST
Reply Quote
Hey TheDutchman!

Thanks for a great guide which made me change spec when nothing else really worked out for me on Wizard HC. Now I can farm without the risk of dying on every champ pack. I bought gear yesterday and am currently trying to learn the spec and practising on some mp1 act 1 (since im familiar with that area, will go on to act 3 when i feel safe)

Im interested in your opinion about my gear and stats, if there are any clear "errors" on it and if you have any ideas to obvious upgrades. I followed your guide while gearing, and it worked great!

Im also interested in your opinion about followers, It seems alot of people are playing in group but im mostly on my own, which follower would you recommend? Im currently going with a full cc enchantress with a Maximus weapon but considering switching to an Azurewrath for ever more freezing in the battles.

My nick is Alista#2575 and Im on the EU-server.
Thanks in advance!
Reply Quote
Hey TheDutchman!

Thanks for a great guide which made me change spec when nothing else really worked out for me on Wizard HC. Now I can farm without the risk of dying on every champ pack. I bought gear yesterday and am currently trying to learn the spec and practising on some mp1 act 1 (since im familiar with that area, will go on to act 3 when i feel safe)

Im interested in your opinion about my gear and stats, if there are any clear "errors" on it and if you have any ideas to obvious upgrades. I followed your guide while gearing, and it worked great!

Im also interested in your opinion about followers, It seems alot of people are playing in group but im mostly on my own, which follower would you recommend? Im currently going with a full cc enchantress with a Maximus weapon but considering switching to an Azurewrath for ever more freezing in the battles.

My nick is Alista#2575 and Im on the EU-server.
Thanks in advance!

Hey, glad I could help

First thing that leaps off the screen to me is your resists being a touch low.

Most people that I suggest going into MP1 territory on their wizards have 350-450 base, before Int is factored in. I would suggest trying to squeeze it in on an amulet or ring, just get to 350 ish so that when you're fully buffed, you're rocking 700+ (with prismatic)

DPS and Life pool seem fine, that's really all that stands out to me.

CC is fine
APoC is good
Could use a TOUCH more attack speed, but that will come with the gear as you make more gold and improve specific gear slots

Certainly a good start up there. Well on your way.

GL!

EDIT: Oh, and I use Scoundrel. The 3.0 cc and that bow that freezes everything + pierce chance + him shooting 3 arrows at once, it's like having a second CM wiz with you on your farm runs :) I can't remember the name off the top of my head, and its 5am so I'm going to bed, but if you look at my barb, his follower is using it
Edited by TheDutchMan#1443 on 1/28/2013 1:45 AM PST
Reply Quote
Thanks alot for the help! And yes, that xbow had a very.. special.. name. :)
Reply Quote
And that's the end of my CM WW wiz- I didnt tp away from some frozen quickly enough and basically got one-shotted by arcane right through crystal shell. All in all it's a pretty tough style to play. Well actually being a wiz in HC in general is pretty tough IMO. From now WD only for me I think. Spirit vessel FTW.
Reply Quote
I just got done lvling up my CM/WW wiz and it's a lot of fun in HC. I need more VIT and attack speed for my wiz to do really well but so far a3 is pretty easy to farm especially when I have a good dpser with me. I experimented on my SC wiz before I tried out the build on HC so I have some kind of experience with the build. I just gotta grind out some gold to get upgrades now!
Reply Quote
Hi to all you CM Wizards out there. I have been trying to work hard on my CM/WW set but it is far from easy going. I started out small but have progressed to the following stats:

Self buffed with Prismatic Armor only:
57-58k hp
5970 armor
535-620 res all
19 APoC
2.77 attack/sec
40% crit chance
102k dmg
466 Life on hit
Reduce dmg taken from elites by 13%
24% Movement speed (quite helpful)

I have not left MP0 yet, and to be honest, if I allow Diamond Skin to fall off, I take damage fairly quickly..even from white monsters.

I am afraid to attempt ubers on MP5 or even leave MP0 yet for that matter as I suspect 1-2 mistakes means sudden death with my Wizard's current stats.

Can anyone offer some advise on how to bring my Wizard to the next level? I feel as though I need more resist all and total life, however doing that and simultaneously maintaining my attack speed and crit chance proves very difficult.

I considered possibly dropping Tals Armor in favor of a Blackthornes Chest (to complete my 2pc set bonus)and using a 1.65 attack/sec Chantodos instead of my 1.61, but that switch costs me 10-20k dmg depending on the wand I use. I could then use Ice Climbers instead of my terrible BT boots and boost my stats that way, but it costs me quite a bit of damage (and is a very expensive adjustment)
Edited by Doctonic#1928 on 1/28/2013 8:06 AM PST
Reply Quote
Hi to all you CM Wizards out there. I have been trying to work hard on my CM/WW set but it is far from easy going. I started out small but have progressed to the following stats:

Self buffed with Prismatic Armor only:
57-58k hp
5970 armor
535-620 res all
19 APoC
2.77 attack/sec
40% crit chance
102k dmg
466 Life on hit
Reduce dmg taken from elites by 13%
24% Movement speed (quite helpful)

I have not left MP0 yet, and to be honest, if I allow Diamond Skin to fall off, I take damage fairly quickly..even from white monsters.

I am afraid to attempt ubers on MP5 or even leave MP0 yet for that matter as I suspect 1-2 mistakes means sudden death with my Wizard's current stats.

Can anyone offer some advise on how to bring my Wizard to the next level? I feel as though I need more resist all and total life, however doing that and simultaneously maintaining my attack speed and crit chance proves very difficult.

I considered possibly dropping Tals Armor in favor of a Blackthornes Chest (to complete my 2pc set bonus)and using a 1.65 attack/sec Chantodos instead of my 1.61, but that switch costs me 10-20k dmg depending on the wand I use. I could then use Ice Climbers instead of my terrible BT boots and boost my stats that way, but it costs me quite a bit of damage (and is a very expensive adjustment)

A few tweaks will really help:

1: If you can afford it, look for a tal's with SIMILAR stats (at least 150+ vit) but with an armor roll. That extra 300 ish armor may seem small, but it's like adding 450 armor to your 5900.

2: Resistances. This is what seems to be your only issue with an otherwise well built CM

--> I feel that in order to get myself to the 2.74 aps breakpoint, I gave up A LOT of resistance (80 off chest, 70 off belt), and yet I still run with 750-850 all res with prismatic.

You've got to get around.. well, I think you have 200-210 right now? Without int. So 410 with it, and that's why about 550-600 with prismatic.

Only real options are to shell out some big money for nice 9% ias, 4-6.0 cc rings with 60 all res on them, that would put you up there.

OR, drop tals chest, wear BT chest. Drop BT boots, wear ice climbers. Drop wand, buy 0.25 wand

Good luck
Edited by TheDutchMan#1443 on 1/28/2013 8:42 AM PST
Reply Quote
Dutchman, feel like doing a gearcheck on me? I followed you guide and from my 11 mill budget, this is what I managed to put together.

Couple of notes regarding the gear:
- Chose all resist over socket in storcrow (nothing with both on the AH).
- Paid 900k for the Chantodos Will with LoH, which was a steal. Might get a socketed one later on.

(Unbuffed)
Int: 1273
Vit: 1197
CC: 44,5%
CD: 50%
APoC: 28
LoH: 1287
Life regen: 516

Life: 48 075
DPS: 28 447
Armor: 2 438
All reists: ~600

According to your guide both HP and life is in the lower ranges, and I'm not 100% sure how I feel about it. I'm trying to remember how it was going CM wiz on SC back when my stats was something like this, but it's not comparable since I was a lot more careless and had way less HP. If it's to early for CM, I still think I can manage to go archon with these stats though.

EDIT: Profile link: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Dwighty-2513/hero/24765848
Edited by Dwighty#2513 on 2/2/2013 5:10 AM PST
Reply Quote
Nicely geared for 11M Dwight.

I can't find many issues. I would say maybe find yourself a bit more armor. Try to get around the 3K mark without buffs. If that means dropping a bit of AR, that's fine. Floating around 530-550 AR without Prismatic is enough to be safe, and 3000 armour without it really helps buff your overall EHP.

Maybe drop your chest for something like:

100 int
150 vit
+300 armor
socket
socket
socket

I'm sure it'd be cheap without the AR since people don't seem to see the value in +armour gear ;)

Other than that, you're sitting pretty for now.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the help mate.

Was thinking about it when I put this together, that I would never have dared to try without reading your guide.

Will hopefully post back a update sometime :)

EDIT: Also forgot to equip my belt which buffed me some 200 armor, 1 k damage and 70 resist.
Edited by Dwighty#2513 on 2/2/2013 1:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
Looking at the specs above I guess I must be pretty crazy for running my ww wiz the way I do. I've been farming mp0 and mp1 with her. I was able to score a Chants force for 1.5m the other night and I got real lucky with my Chants will for only 1m. Those two pretty much cleared out my funds, but I found a nice set of gloves (all res, IAS, CC, INT) that I was able to sell for 5m.

Hopefully I can find a nice upgrade, maybe something to boost my mitigation a bit and go for higher IAS. Suggestions welcome.
Reply Quote
Bump - Read through this thread, great guide, fun build, and lots of solid information.

Looking forward to getting my CM/WW wiz going in 1.07 or when I get a bit more gold !
Reply Quote
Bump - Read through this thread, great guide, fun build, and lots of solid information.

Looking forward to getting my CM/WW wiz going in 1.07 or when I get a bit more gold !

Thanks and welcome aboard. It's a ton of fun, but obviously not much margin for error. Stay safe!
Reply Quote
Lost my CM Wiz day before 1.07 just after hitting paragon1 due to a java update tab thanks to windows (its removed now :D ) and working on current wiz as we speak.

I wonder would a Echoing fury be okayish if I get a ApoC on 2 other items? otherwise I would have to sell it to fund a wand
Reply Quote
Run a CM/WW/SNS Wiz on SC...Took me a long time to do the build...I love the play style; however, it can play havoc on the hands...Just starting out in HC so I am a long way from this...probably looking at a Blizz/FR build for a time if I can get enough gold to move forward for the CM/WW build..

Got to have the right mix on ias, cc, apoc and I've looked at prices and it will be a long way unless I find some godly item to sell...

Thanks for showing it is done on HC...maybe a long term goal
Reply Quote
Any thoughts on CM Meteor? Something about standard CM doesn't gel for me, feels slow for clearing trash getting to champs/elites and I always feel like a momentary lapse will get me killed.

Always loved meteor, but I suspect it isn't viable in HC without some crazy gear...
Edited by Grovel#1729 on 2/20/2013 10:47 AM PST
Reply Quote
Afaik there is a mix of both WW and meteor.

Any thoughts on CM Meteor? Something about standard CM doesn't gel for me, feels slow for clearing trash getting to champs/elites and I always feel like a momentary lapse will get me killed.

Always loved meteor, but I suspect it isn't viable in HC without some crazy gear...

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7004046046
have a read her m8

another build
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRivluyKw_o
Edited by Tbone#2756 on 2/20/2013 10:50 AM PST
Reply Quote
^ I think meteor was nerfed and doesn't proc like the old days. I could be wrong... but its still harder to use.

I ran Blizzard/Hydra/Piercing Orb and Archon specs, but gearing towards CM/WW cuz it's fun. Slower than my WD or Monk, but fun and possibly able to do ubers later.

2.05 attack speed
53.1k HP
48.7k DPS
~800 Resists (with prismatic)
~5.5k Armor (with prismatic)
42.5 Crit chance with scoundrel

Having lots of fun with her, not too hard to play after getting some practice.
Edited by MrDeAtH#1112 on 2/20/2013 10:58 AM PST
Reply Quote
Thanks a bunch for this guide TheDutchman! Thanks to you, I was able to step directly into facerolling keyruns having never played a wizard, only took 1 mp1 a3 clear to really get the hang of things.

Just a couple questions, do you think I focused too much on hp/resists? The spec is functioning perfectly as far as arcane power generation and cooldown reduction go, but I feel like I should have gotten a bit more dps for the gold spent. Obviously, it's my chd and int that are lacking, and I'm at a loss trying to determine the best ways to get more. I have another 100m in budget for this character, what would you do?
Edited by Pipedreams#1138 on 3/6/2013 7:24 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]