Diablo® III

Idea: White/Blue Items and Crafting Fix

--- Foreword ---
So in another thread (http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7006898716?page=1#9) i posted my ideas on how to make White and Blue Items viable. My idea also results in viable crafting.

--- Current lack of importance of White (Normal and Superiour) Items and Blue (Magic) Items ---
White items are simply not viable. There is nothing special about them. They lack huge damage because they cannot have 2 dps increments (e.g. Increased Weapon Damage + Extra Poison Damage). While magic items were sometimes better than rare items pre 1.0.4, they just cannot have enough affixes to step up to a rare item level.

Ofcourse rare items have to stay superiour towards White and Blue items but there is just no reason for you to pick up Blue and White items.

--- Current lack of crafting ---
You may want to craft decent boots with 6 affixes. They may get 65 all res, 12 % movement speed, 200 to your stat and additional values to vit but when you are crafting something, 99% of that will be crap. It's the same as when you pick up rare items. There is only a very small chance to get something viable but why would you craft an item, that you have to pay 50k gold for and salvage 10 other items just to get a crap item?

--- The improvement of crafting and creating a purpose for White and Blue items ---
Hint: With my idea, even crap legendaries will become viable!

--- RNG is RNG ---
In terms of rolling affixes, randomized results cannot be avoided but what if the player had the ability to specify one stat? Not only specify it but also create an item with the exact stat, the player wants? Let's just call this "expected rng".

--- Superiour Items 2.0 ---
In order to make this idea work, the developers need to adjust superiour items. AFAIK superiour items can have increased damage or armor at the moment. What if we increase the range of selected affixes for superiour items?

The pool for a superiour item should not only be increased damage. Let's increase the pool to Attack Speed, Critical Damage, Socket, Stat Points. So for example now you can find a superiour item with +150 Dex or +8% Attack Speed. This is necessary to create a variety of superior items. This will make the player stop and check the item that has been dropped. If the item fits the players expectations, he can go on to the crafting.

--- I got the plan, i got an item, now make this item awesome ---
So you found that nice Superiour 1h Sword with 95% critical damage what you are going to do now is head to the Blacksmith. You got a nice plan for a sword with 6 affixes but you do not want to roll random affixes. You want the 95% cd from the sword you have found in that new weapon. So you place that sword in the anvil and then click on craft and...BAM you got your new sword with 6 different affixes PLUS the 95% cd.

In short when you want to craft an item, you have to provide the raw item in addition to some materials and the new item will inherit 1 random affix from the raw item.

--- Sounds good? It's getting even better! ---
With increase of the legendary drop in the latest patch, i find myself getting like 3-4 crap legendaries everyday. I am sure this is happening to alot other people so this is where my crafting idea is getting awesome.

Imagine you are playing a monk and you find a flying dragon. 1200 dps, +300 Dex, +Crit Chance to Tempest Rush, +50 Vit, +Crit Damage. So you'll think this one is crap but what happens, if you get to the blacksmith with this item and craft a new item from it. Imagine if you would get a daibo with 1300 dps (increased weapon damage and extra holy damage), +400 Dex, Socket, +175% Crit Damage, +8% Attack Speed and the chance to double your attack speed. While it is missing some LL or LoH, the "double attack speed chance" makes it awesome. This is inherited from the Flying Dragon Item.

--- What crafting combinations do exist? ---
Well i haven't thought that out yet but to craft an item, you will probably need a base item of the same type therefore to craft a Belt, you will need a Belt. You cannot craft a Belt and set Gloves as the base item.

This will keep the item affix structure to where we got it atm. It sure would be nice to see those boots with 195% Critical Damage but this would be way to overpowered in my opinion. You are already able to get some awesome combinations by using legendaries don't you think?

--- But what about normal white items? ---
Yeah well, they will still be useless i guess. They could enable us to salvage them but i don't want to pickup every white item and TP home every 30 seconds so i'll say we leave those items as they are.

This is just a thought. I am open for critism and adjustments. Let me know what you are thinking about this idea.

Note: I am sorry about my grammar. My motherlanguage is german so don't be to harsh.

TL;DR: gtfo
Edited by frisch#2609 on 11/16/2012 6:15 AM PST
Reply Quote
Still reading, OP.

But...

"--- Current lack of crafting ---
You may want to craft decent boots with 6 affixes. They may get 80 all res"

...just to point out, crafted boots cannot get 80 AR.

Crafting took an even bigger tumble (if it were ever possible) when any item picked up in inferno (MP0 Act 3 + or MP1 all Acts 1 and 2) can roll higher stats than crafted.
Edited by Anuhart#2131 on 11/16/2012 6:14 AM PST
Reply Quote
11/16/2012 06:13 AMPosted by Anuhart
Crafting took an even bigger tumble (if it were ever possible) when any item picked up in inferno (MP0 Act 3 + or MP1 all Acts 1 and 2) can roll higher stats than crafted.
Is this due to the fact that max crafted items are lvl 62?

Edited to 65 all res
Edited by frisch#2609 on 11/16/2012 6:16 AM PST
Reply Quote
11/16/2012 06:15 AMPosted by frisch
Is this due to the fact that max crafted items are lvl 62?

Edited to 65 all res

It is indeed, for that reason, in conjunction with picked up items being able to roll at the monster lvl. I think the ilvl 62 cap is 70 for AR.

Anyway, yes, nice ideas.
I think this idea has most likely been in the minds of a lot of people, well done for putting it out there.
Reply Quote
Bump
Reply Quote
Getting the !@#$ out because TLDR.
Reply Quote
Make White Items Important Agian Damnit, 15ed max armor dusk shroud 3 socket was worth alot on d2,
Reply Quote
This is a really good idea. I saw it in that thread and glad to see you made your own thread for it. +1

I have also listed this thread in the conclusion of one of my posts. Check it out.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7004016367
Reply Quote
its very simple:

white items - should have up 6 sockets for runewords in highlevels, and for stones in lowlevel
blue items - should have better affixes quality(more sockets, more crit, more crit chance, more ias) than rare items, only in this case it will be viable.

PS. as for craft, it will be useful only in case of possibility to roll 63lvl items.
Reply Quote
bump
Reply Quote
bump
Reply Quote
bump
Reply Quote
bump
Reply Quote
Everybody knows this except Blizzard developers and Jay.
Fuuuuuk the itemization.
Reply Quote
bump. Make it happen blizzard!
Reply Quote
bumping in hopes for a blue post that he/she noticed this thread
Reply Quote
Isn't that game breaking? 6 affix with extra 95% cd? that's too much .
Reply Quote
I think they could improve crafting significantly by just making those level 62 plans that drop, and have already been learned into level 63 plans. I think people would craft items again if they could actually roll high end affixes. This wouldn't make blue or white items useful, but it would be a good starting point.
Reply Quote
May I suggest a easy start.
What if you could change 1 affix on an item by crafting?

You would still need to bring the "base" item but with crafting you would be able to change just one affix which would still have a random roll on the qty of that stat.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]