Diablo® III

A true effective DPS test (WoS vs VQ bears)

Results are out in post #3

Season 1: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7004047910 (Barb vs WD) 210% vs 450%
Season 2: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7004448593 (CM wiz vs WD) 750% vs 495%

Disclaimer:

1. None of the tests are up to the scrutiny of scientific research, if they serve as a rough reference/entertainment then I am happy.

2. Apparently there are a lot of factors come into play when measuring true effectiveness of a build/class so all the results are biased by my player skills/gears/mana regen etc.

3. This particular test might be a bit sensitive since it touches the topic of whether ZB has overwhelming advantage over other skills. But note that I am trying to be as neutral as possible and merely presenting the results I am getting without taking any sides.

4. As EindacorDS pointed out, individual test of the skills matches tooltip numbers pretty well
it might be more effective to just record the fight a few times, each time spamming a different skill, and make a note of how much damage you do over a certain period of time with each. if you test for different skill combinations that leaves an awful lot of variation for how the person plays.

whereas, if you tested each skill individually, you could say "i was doing 230dps over 15 seconds when i used this skill, which is X% of my on-paper dps". that information can be taken, scaled, and used by anyone, no matter how they play.

And I agree, but WD's case is complicated by mana management and skills synergy as in a lot of skills can not be spammed at all without a full rotation and mana replenishing skills . So these tests are made for validate the synergy and efficiency.
Edited by DanSkyWalker#1988 on 11/21/2012 1:00 PM PST
Reply Quote
1. ghom in MP 10 (138.5mil health)

2. ranged spirit Doc vs Bear Doc

Builds:
(ranged WD)
WoS
SW/Jaunt
Garg/bruiser
zombie dogs

Resentful spirit/grasp of the dead-groping eels

Spiritual vessel/RoE/BR

(Bear WD)
WoS
SW/Jaunt
Garg/bruiser
Zombie dogs

Zombie bears/widow maker
Vision Quest/Spiritual vessel/Blood ritual.
Edited by DanSkyWalker#1988 on 11/16/2012 12:53 PM PST
Reply Quote
ranged WD(140K DPS):
http://www.twitch.tv/hiddenfootprints/b/340706921
MP9

1. 280 sec
99mil health

252% paper DPS :(

Bear WD(147K DPS)
MP10

495%paper DPS
Edited by DanSkyWalker#1988 on 11/16/2012 8:02 PM PST
Reply Quote
... There is no way to reliably handle MP10 Ghom using WoS as main attack... D;

Failed 3-4 times already
Reply Quote
Doing MP9 now, streaming
Reply Quote
So you can beat Ghom MP10 with Bear?
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7004448593

yeah it is a walk in the park and not breaking a sweat.

http://www.twitch.tv/hiddenfootprints/b/340446557
Edited by DanSkyWalker#1988 on 11/20/2012 3:41 PM PST
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7004448593

yeah it is a walk in the park and not breaking a sweat.

http://www.twitch.tv/hiddenfootprints/b/340446557

Mmmmm, have you found any other WD combo that can do as well as Bear?

What is the 2nd place?
Reply Quote
Mmmmm, have you found any other WD combo that can do as well as Bear?

What is the 2nd place?

Since these tests are trying to simulate how well a farming build perform, so I think we can rule out 0CD pile on.

Sacrifice + Zombie handler+zombie dogs should be on par(if not more) from a DPS point of view.
It has higher multiplier, but the paper DPS number will be limited by the mojo (low base damage) So a comparative study is hard. Also the price is prohibitively high for me to get the set just to test.
Edited by DanSkyWalker#1988 on 11/20/2012 3:59 PM PST
Reply Quote
Mmmmm, interesting that you brought up Pile On.

I have 36% +SB damage. If all souls hit, I think I do about 578% weapon damage but of course you don't get all souls hitting the same target sometimes.
Reply Quote
I encourage you to test it out.

To be honest I felt pretty good too about my WoS damage before I stepped into the larder. And walked out beaten.

Do a ghom test, find a MP that you are comfortable with. Kill ghom, and divide his health by secs. Then you get your eDPS

Then, adjust your sheet dps to revised sheet DPS:

revised sheet DPS= sheet DPS*(1+increase SB damage%)(1+increase damage against elites%)

because not all users will have +SB damage or Damage against elites, they need to be normalized.

Then effective damage multiplier=eDPS/revised sheet DPS

I am hoping to learn about your % soon.

Mine sucked anyway. Even with the passive damage from haunt/garg/dogs/GoTd

it is a measly 252%
Edited by DanSkyWalker#1988 on 11/20/2012 6:19 PM PST
Reply Quote
I stream alot of solo mp10 and have found the most effective single target dps comes from stacking 3 the bears on top of each other. Usually I can only get 2 bears to hit the same target from 1 cast. Another important thing I do is stack bear mana cost reduction, max mana and mana regen to where I almost never run out of bears.

http://www.twitch.tv/microfastsc2

Yeah I check out your stream a while back, you are indeed very legit. Respect :)

Let me know if you want to do MP10 ubers at times, we can do a double feature streaming sometimes. I can run my CM wiz or bear Doc.

CM/CM/WD/Barb

or CM/WD/WD/Barb.

danskywalker#1988 :)
Reply Quote
Mmmm, interesting.

So I just need to time how long I kill Ghom and you can figure out my DPS?

I can try MP4 or MP5.

Not sure if I have the time/patience for MP6. Elites just take soooo long to kill. lol I may get bored.

One thing I want all the top WDs to think is what formula do they use for Mana Cost / Single Target / AoE / Weapon Damage? I can be wrong but it seems like most of WD's runes are pretty normalized but only Bear is "out of line". 140 mana for potential cone, piercing 708% and that's why some WDs can still out-damage DH/Wizard with much less "paper dps" due to the very high weapon damage %.

If Bear is the base-line performance, I wonder what kind of buff do other secondary spells need using Bear's formula (3 projectiles, piercing, 236%).

There is a lot of debate on "mana issues" and I think a global damage buff for most of WD's secondary spells should help the problem - just look at Bear's formula and apply that to other Secondary and do some reduction for longer range spells.
Edited by Jibikao#1131 on 11/20/2012 7:55 PM PST
Reply Quote
yeah, just time your Ghom kill, let me know MP/time/your paper DPS and I can figure it out for you.
Reply Quote
I use Draining Spirit to fuel mana, WoS, Dog, Garg, SH and SW, BR, Rush and Fort.
Note: I kept my Hellfire ring because that's what I use the most. I normally don't change gear unless it's uber. Before uber, I would swap out that ring for something a bit better and add +life gem in helmet.

First run MP4: Changed out Devouring Swarm for Draining Spirit. I didn't take Voodoo because I normally don't take Voodoo unless it's Uber. I took him down in 46.1 second the moment I step into the area. My archer follower didn't die so I got a bit buff from him. My listed dps is 79909 before one stack of SH.

Second run MP5: 59.9 second. Same setup as first run. This one I ran a bit more 'cause he was running towards me which screwed up my WoS a tiny bit.

Third run MP9: 4min 29 second. This is the first time I tried anything higher than MP6. LOL Same setup. No voodoo but he did summon several slimes which made my WoS not hitting Ghom the same time but extra Slimes helped me fuel SH. And as the battle went longer, more clouds and I couldn't stand within 40 yard for four souls to hit.. oh well. I am surprised I beat it! Going to try MP10.

Four Run MP10: I died. I took him down to about 30% at about 5:30 mark and the whole screen is filled with cloud. Ok, just tried MP10 against an Elite.. this is way out of my league atm. lol
Edited by Jibikao#1131 on 11/20/2012 10:01 PM PST
Reply Quote
Third run MP9: 4min 29 second. This is the first time I tried anything higher than MP6. LOL Same setup. No voodoo but he did summon several slimes which made my WoS not hitting Ghom the same time but extra Slimes helped me fuel SH. And as the battle went longer, more clouds and I couldn't stand within 40 yard for four souls to hit.. oh well. I am surprised I beat it! Going to try MP10.

Your eDPS is 366K and multiplier is 278% (after normalization)

so it is very close to my result.
Edited by DanSkyWalker#1988 on 11/20/2012 10:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
You write in !@#$%^- code, your figures may be sound, but I don't have the time to decipher them.
Edited by JackStraw#1836 on 11/20/2012 10:47 PM PST
Reply Quote

Your eDPS is 366K and multiplier is 278% (after normalization)
so it is very close to my result.

Oh cool. I'll play with this more with a better ring than my Hellfire.

Do you use Voodoo?
Reply Quote
Oh cool. I'll play with this more with a better ring than my Hellfire.

Do you use Voodoo?

Voodoo has long CD and short duration so it will mess up the results. So I didn't use it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]