Diablo® III

Noob with twister tick question

View profile
I just hit level 60 about 10 minutes ago and geared up my wiz with my pre-purchased gear. I set my budget out to be 100m but I actually spent about 195m in total. I am surprised that I was able to hit some of the numbers I did. Profile has not updated yet so I will list the important numbers.

Basically, these are my unbuffed stats:

APS 2.72(so close to 2.73!)
CC 51%
lowest AR 624
Armor only 3k
Vit 35k
777LOH
DPS 85k

I know I am in need of improvement but this is a work in progress.

Back to the point of this thread...

I have a list of the twister tick breakpoints but what exactly do they mean? At say 2.72 where the tick rate is only 33 does that mean I will be able to drop 'X' number of twisters that will tick 'X' number of times to equal a total of 33 ticks per second? What are the 'X' numbers exactly?
Edited by KillerElite#1853 on 11/16/2012 1:35 PM PST
Reply Quote
Congrats! :D Those stats are pretty spiffy for starting out. I think I've spent now 125million total and I don't quite yet have those stats (except higher attack speed and armor).

So to answer your question, the ticks mean how often the game internally registers a hit for the skill during its duration. So that means when you drop a twister, you'll have 33 ticks across the 6s that the Energy Twister is out (5.5 ticks per second). Each tick means a chance for LoH and a chance to crit, which is useful for APoC and reducing skill cooldowns with CM. You should most definitely get that 1% more ias if you can, since you should see a marked improvement at 36 ticks. Attack speed primarily benefits you from reaching these so called tick breakpoints, though you still get the benefit of casting faster.
Edited by TekkZero#1963 on 11/16/2012 1:50 PM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
Congrats! :D Those stats are pretty spiffy for starting out. I think I've spent now 125million total and I don't quite yet have those stats (except higher attack speed and armor).

So to answer your question, the ticks mean how often the game internally registers a hit for the skill during its duration. So that means when you drop a twister, you'll have 33 ticks across the 6s that the Energy Twister is out (5.5 ticks per second). Each tick means a chance for LoH and a chance to crit, which is useful for APoC and reducing skill cooldowns with CM. You should most definitely get that 1% more ias if you can, since you should see a marked improvement at 36 ticks. Attack speed primarily benefits you from reaching these so called tick breakpoints, though you still get the benefit of casting faster.

Thanks. That makes so much more sense now. I will definitely go for the 2.73 breakpoint. BTW, forgot to mention 26 APoC.
Reply Quote
Calculation is APoC * 0.125 * Crit Chance (Decimal) * WW ticks per second = AP per second, per twister, per target.

2.727 APS Breakpoint

7.00 - 7.50 = Bare minimum. Will struggle often with AP.
7.50 - 8.50 = Good. Be careful with wormholing too aggressively. May have to skip the first EB cast.
8.50 - 9.50 = Excellent. Can occasionally get yourself in trouble with wormhole.
9.50 - 10.50 = Perfect. Always enough AP.
10.50+ = Wasted unless you are using twisters to gather huge AP for meteor casts.

Going to quote this from Shandlar.

Do the math, and see where you stand :)
Edited by Boozor#1433 on 11/16/2012 2:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
26*0.125*.56(with energy armor)*5.5 = 10.01

Good to know. Thanks!
Reply Quote
View profile
I thought u said in another thread u bought ur gears for like 80m.? gone up already...just wait...add another 2000 armor, 200 ar and like 50k dps to be a god...gets exponential from now on. but yeah night and day in next breakpoint !

It's more about cooldowns than apoc. ur good on apoc but you want the spells to reset faster.
Edited by Aimless#1700 on 11/17/2012 4:05 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
I thought u said in another thread u bought ur gears for like 80m.? gone up already...just wait...add another 2000 armor, 200 ar and like 50k dps to be a god...gets exponential from now on. but yeah night and day in next breakpoint !

It's more about cooldowns than apoc. ur good on apoc but you want the spells to reset faster.

It did go up. Witching hour, source with APoc, Tal chest with resist. Storm crow with crit, chantodo will with socket, better amulet. I originally went cheap on a lot of my gear and realized I needed more ias, crit, APoc, resist. This toon was just going to be an alt to play when I get bored. I was questing on mp7 in act 2 inferno before the server went down. She may become my main.....I haven't had a repair bill yet for all of act one and half of act 2 inferno. BTW, I was only questing at mp 7 to see if I could. Going to try higher mp key farming as soon as i finish inferno. My damage mitigation is not good if spells are on cooldown so I will for sure increase my APS.
Edited by KillerElite#1853 on 11/17/2012 6:07 AM PST
Reply Quote
So will people still say something like CM/WW build is OP because it can be achieved with low budget ?
Reply Quote
View profile
I think a few classes can be over powered on a low budget.
Reply Quote
View profile
Wait i just looked atr ur gear ur 50 million on some slot at least. trifectas? Ar tal rash? Ar WH? Ive done this all b4.
Edited by Aimless#1700 on 11/17/2012 6:43 AM PST
Reply Quote
11/17/2012 06:30 AMPosted by KillerElite
I think a few classes can be over powered on a low budget.

I don't know. But I still see people (not having a Wizard character) say something like Wizard is OP because of the premafreeze and it can be done with cheap budget.
Reply Quote
View profile
*edited* two prices were wrong.

Tal chest 45m
withcing hour 37m
storm crow 11m(probably over priced)
Chantodos will 25m
chantodo's force 22m
Sumonners band 11m
Greivous wheel 19m
outer strand 20m
Innas 16m

Shoulders, glvoes, bracers, 2m each.

Total 214m. Nothing over 50m. All were BIN prices. I checked the AH at least 15 times a day for a few days looking for the best deal. No BS. True prices. AH is not as bad as you think if you spend a lot of time looking.
Edited by KillerElite#1853 on 11/17/2012 7:07 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
Tal chest 45m
withcing hour 37m
Chantodos will 25m
chantodo's force 11m
Sumonners band 11m
Greivous wheel 13m
outer strand 20m
Innas 16m

Total 195m. Nothing over 50m. All were BIN prices. I checked the AH at least 15 times a day for a few days looking for the best deal. No BS. True prices. AH is not as bad as you think if you spend a lot of time looking.

Things are crashing in price. I sold a wand like urs for 90m just like a month ago. That chest wanted one 4ever I finally bought one last week cuz they crashed..all were like 250m+...good times.

ur stormcow was 80m minimum a month ago. I paid 85 and got a dea at the time.
Edited by Aimless#1700 on 11/17/2012 7:01 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
lol no !@#$!
Reply Quote
Monster Power and Infernal Machines were only going to hold the interest for so long. Once you get PL100, if that's your goal, or a nice Hellfire ring, you're pretty much back to asking yourself "What now?".

My DH cost me just a little over 100M and I'm able to solo farm MP5 having very little skill/knowledge, and that was like two weeks ago? Things will continue to drop in price until the next patch.

Edit: on topic, that formula is really helpful. Thanks for the thread and for posting that info!
Edited by Stigas#1237 on 11/17/2012 7:12 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
Hey i'm a barb noob here is my barb all found gear my wiz found for him and can do mp5 but with gear so cheap and i have 160m what do i need to play in higher levels?
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/FatalXeption-1570/hero/13472957

is there like baseline stats i need not to die?

like CC ias ar armor like cm has?

Like say I didnt care about dps so much just like 100K is fine but want to run ww.
Edited by Aimless#1700 on 11/17/2012 7:21 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
Tal chest 45m
withcing hour 37m
Chantodos will 25m
chantodo's force 11m
Sumonners band 11m
Greivous wheel 13m
outer strand 20m
Innas 16m

Total 195m. Nothing over 50m. All were BIN prices. I checked the AH at least 15 times a day for a few days looking for the best deal. No BS. True prices. AH is not as bad as you think if you spend a lot of time looking.

Things are crashing in price. I sold a wand like urs for 90m just like a month ago. That chest wanted one 4ever I finally bought one last week cuz they crashed..all were like 250m+...good times.

ur stormcow was 80m minimum a month ago. I paid 85 and got a dea at the time.

I did notice some prices were higher than I paid for my gear with similar stats. The witching hour, for example, was 40 m cheaper than the next closest with nearly identical stats. It had a BIN of 37m with 1day and 12hours left. I think it probably should have cost more. I found a couple of crit lacunis in the last two weeks and one with 5.5crit and 92 strength only sold for 60 m at auction. A month ago that would have been over 100m easy.
Reply Quote
View profile
crazy. my chest Ive been looking at for over a month always over 300m finally snagged it for 90m last week. how low can it go? lol

help my barb out man. I want to play him but clueless.
Reply Quote
View profile
If you are looking at doing whirl wind then my barb has the cookie cutter skills. The only skill you can really change up is overpower. The rest are necessary. Barb relies on fury. You need high crit chance and Lot's o aps for into the fray to work to gain fury. Fully buffed my paper dps is 290k. Barb has Lot's of active skills to increase dps. I can solo mp 10 though it does take sometime to kill elites. Ubers really need at least two people even with godly gear. With 6% LS and 290k dps nothing will kill you even on mp10 so long as fury does not run out but you have huge repair bills.
Edited by KillerElite#1853 on 11/17/2012 8:06 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
11/17/2012 08:04 AMPosted by KillerElite
If you are looking at doing whirl wind then my barb has the cookie cutter skills. The only skill you can really change up is overpower. The rest are necessary. Barb relies on fury. You need high crit chance and Lot's o aps for into the fray to work to gain fury. Fully buffed my paper dps is 290k. Barb has Lot's of active skills to increase dps. I can solo mp 10 though it does take sometime to kill elites. Ubers really need at least two people even with godly gear. With 6% LS and 290k dps nothing will kill you even on mp10 so long as fury does not run out but you have huge repair bills.

Whats high CC aps?

did u see my barb?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/FatalXeption-1570/hero/13472957

should i change any gear?
Edited by Aimless#1700 on 11/17/2012 9:32 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]