Diablo® III

Questions about WD Builds

Even though I've been playing since launch, I've finally decided to take D3 seriously, especially with the Witch Doctor, my first character. So I have a few questions about Inferno Doc builds, and I haven't experimented that much. Hopefully you more experienced Doctors can help me out? You don't have to answer all my questions though. Simply pick a build you've used or tested and answer my questions about that build. Also, please don't hesitate to suggest a build I haven't listed here, or some tips and tricks with certain skills. More knowledge, more power!

I've separated my build-specific questions into some popular builds I know, but I have 6 general questions for each build.
-Why should I consider this build?
-What are its pros and cons?
-What skills and skill runes do I use for this build?
-What stats do I look for in items to maximize the efficiency of this build?
-What specific items do I aim for this build?
-What Inferno MP level is this build at its best?

Zombie Bears Build
-Do Zombie Chargers deal instant damage or periodic damage?
-What is the most efficient way to counter mana problems?
-Is Grave Injustice mandatory to this build?
-What range of area does one cast of Zombie Bears cover?

Sacrifice Build
-Can you sacrifice Dogs while they are still spawning (about 1 sec to come out of the ground) when you cast 'Summon Zombie Dogs', and if you can, does it deal damage?
-Is Sacrifice damage instant?

Acid Cloud/Skorn Build
-Does the Bleed have a chance to proc whenever an enemy is hit or only when hit by certain spells and abilities?
-Does Bleed return life with life steal and life on hit?
-What is the proc coefficient of Acid Cloud?

CC Witch Doctor Build
-Given the CC changes in patch 1.0.5, is this build even relevant?
-If so, how many skills with great proc coefficients should you get (i.e Spider Queen, Big Stinker, Locust Swarm, etc)?
-Does LoH and Life steal proc with those skills?
-Even if CC keeps proccing, is the damage output enough to handle large mobs? What about elite packs and bosses?

Fetish Build
-Can Fetishes be damaged?
-If Fetishes can be damaged, do the pet buffs and changes in 1.0.4 apply to them?
-How much % of your weapon damage do the Fetishes spawned from Fetish Sycophants passive deal per hit?
-What is their attack speed?
-Do they have collision and can block enemies?
-Do they proc item abilities (CC, LoH, Bleed, etc)?

Haunt+Spirit Barrage Build
-If the mana problem is solved by the Rush of Essence passive, how do you balance out damage and survivability?
-Do all your skills need to be Spirit Spells for this to work?
-Since Haunt and Spirit Barrage are single-target spells, how do you handle large mobs?
-Does LoH proc with Haunt and Spirit Barrage? What about crits?

Batman Build
-Does LoH proc on Firebats?
-Is the range of Cloud of Bats melee or does it expand continuously?
-What is the proc coefficient of Firebats?
-How is damage and survivability balanced?

Pet Build
-Do pets benefit from Life on Hit, Life steal and Life on Kill? If they do, does it require Fierce Loyalty to be enabled?
-Do pets benefit from the regeneration of Blood Ritual with Fierce Loyalty?
-Do pets benefit from Soul Harvest, BBV - Slam Dance, Pierce the Veil, and Gruesome Feast damage bonuses?
-Are pets healed with Haunt - Consuming Spirit, Spirit Barrage - Phlebotomize, Firebats - Vampire Bats, Hex - Hedge Magic, Sacrifice - For the Master, Soul Harvest - Siphone, Spirit Walk - Healing Journey, and Heal/Intercept (Templar)?
-Can pets crit?
-Do pets benefit from + %attack speed?
-What is better to aim for: Thorns or Regen?
-How exactly does Zombie Dogs - Leeching Beasts work? Does the heal you get from their life steal attacks heal the Gargantuan with Fierce Loyalty up?
-Does the immolation from the Burning Dogs have a duration or last only when the Dog is next to the enemy?

*General Questions*
-Does Wall of Zombies work like the Waller affix? If it is spawned on top of an enemy, does the enemy become phased or stuck?
-What is the delay time for a Locust Swarm to spread to another enemy unit?
-What does the 'enemies rest in pieces' affix on the Last Breath do?
-How much damage from 'the deadly poison cloud' from the complete Manajuma's Ornaments set deal? Does it proc item abilities? What is its proc coefficient?
-How does the Grin Reaper work?
Reply Quote
theres a pet guide here
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7004045226

all your builds u asked arent really separate builds except for sacrifice
WD is known to have a million builds and u can play according to what u like

MP0-2 farm builds are all based off a similar shell
acid cloud (acid rain)
soul harvest (vengeful spirit)
spirit walk (any rune)
horrify (stalker)
passives: spirit vessel, gruesome feast, grave injustice

last two spells are based on preference,
usually have dogs or garg - for me i like dogs more
my last spell is zombie bears - for clearing elites
some people use angry chicken - to run in between stuff
some use sacrifice along with circle of life...but i find that clunky and slow compared to bears

higher MPs, everyone uses different builds...cuz when u slow down killing speed, all spells are fair game
Reply Quote
hey devious, if you look at my profile you can see that i basically just use wd's... and i've tried out a lot of the build you're asking about. First and foremost, I think the sacrifice build is my favorite (or at least it is right now. I don't even have the gear for a 0 sec yet and i'm still having fun with it).

Zombie Bear Build
My main char uses the ZB build with a skorn. It's been pretty efficient for me. The chargers do instant damage and it's more than most of the other builds. Depending on the MP lvl and your dps, you can get around with just using GI. For higher MP levels I tend to use VQ and a primary that gains mana back. An important thing for this build is to realize that DPS isn't as important as DP cast. Attack speed makes your DPS higher, but you run out of mana faster.

Sacrifice Build
I'm not at the point with a 0 sec CD, so I can't really help you yet. <=/

AC Build
I don't use.

CC Build
I don't use.

Fetish Build and Pet Build.
Read up on xskilling's post first. However, I like using both of these together.
Fetishes can be damaged. I think they get pet buffs. I would do Fetish sycophants over fetish army- If you get a fast attack speed you can get up 12 fetishes at once (use a bats skill that requires you to get close. I think this spell has a faster cast rate than most spells, allowing you to get a huge army. On average I run around with 4-5 at once though.) Their attack speed sucks. AS doesn't make them attack faster. They're kind of pansies and run up, hit, run away, run back, and hit again. They do have collision and can block enemies. I don't believe they proc. Pets do not benefit from LS, LOH, or LOK. Pets do more damage with those skills. Pets take your dps and do whatever portion of damage that is. Suppose you do 100k dps. Your Garg would do 100% of this damage. If you raised your attack speed, your garg wouldnt attack faster, but his damage would increase. Pets can crit. I don't think leeching beasts life steal heals Gary. Thorns is horrible. For a pet build you want to get enough health and armor and stuff where you don't even need to use Fierce Loyalty. And the burning dogs only affects when it is right next to the enemy. A key to this build is to understand that your pets still shouldn't be your main attack. (If you use bats, then I'd use that. But not the dire bats. The one where he blows them out)

Haunt + spirit build-
It's an interesting build. My variant didn't have an AOE. I still use it for ubers because I don't have to worry about mana. IMO they should change burning skull or whatever it is, to a spirit attack so you can gain mana back with it... I wouldn't use this build for anything other than ubers (and there are still better builds against ubers.) It's fun being able to attack through walls and stuff though.

Batman build-
Not sure what this is, but if it's what i think it, try it with fetish sycophants.

WoZ is sort of like the waller affix. I haven't used it in a while can't really help.
Some people live and die by Locusts. I feel like I kill the whites before the locusts even spread though.
Last Breath is useless. When the enemy is about to die you crit and you crit hard. I've seen over 2-3m damage with it. But it doesn't matter because the enemy is gonna die anyways. And it only affects that enemy. For instance if you use acid rain and kill an enemy and it does 2m- it'll only hurt that one enemy for 2m not all the other guys in the radius.
dunno about the manajuma.
Grin reaper has you split into 3 skeletons. They do almost nothing but follow you around. (it's a waste). Every once in a while they'll actually copy an attack that you do. The only thing good i've seen from them is they can block lightning from the lightning affix
Reply Quote
Build I use and have fun with is this:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#fWdXYU!YWT!cbcZZa

I am able to do runs extremely fast while mowing down elites and trash mobs super fast as well. If mana isnt an issue, like it is for me then pierce the veil helps a ton with dps. Did 2 seigebreaker runs yesterday which yeilded me 2 set items and 7 legendaries in way under an hours time.
Edited by FriskyDingo#1598 on 11/17/2012 8:08 AM PST
Reply Quote
Zombie Bears Build
1-Do Zombie Chargers deal instant damage or periodic damage?
2-What is the most efficient way to counter mana problems?
3-Is Grave Injustice mandatory to this build?
4-What range of area does one cast of Zombie Bears cover?

2.MP0-2 whatever floats your boat I guess, GI mandatory
MP3-6 depends on your gears, I find cycle of life+ sacrifice pride most reliable, GI mandatory
MP7-10 GI useless in hard fights pretty much, widow maker+VQ+BR
some people recoup with WoS+BR+RoE

Mandatory as in to achieve good efficiency.
Reply Quote
My WD use Acid Rain/pets build
-What are its pros and cons?
pros
1.Can do area damage from longer range than zombie bear
2.Nearly infinity mana because just use Acid Rain every few second and Grasp of the Dead
3.Have strong pets support not much thing can kill your pets even u use pets in Mp7-10
4.High survivability quite tanky and low risk not need to get close enemies to cast any spell all attack spell are long range
cons
1.Kill slower than zombie bear build
2.Pets hate desecrator they die pretty quick in mp4 and higher and arcane spot in Mp6 and higher. Pets will sudden dead when get some deadly strike from salvage beast ,thrall etc from Mp4 and higher Mp.

-What skills and skill runes do I use for this build?
MP7 key set run and MP6 Uber run set up
1.Cropse Spider/widowmakers
2.Zombie Dogs /Leeching Beasts
3.Grasp Of The Dead /Rain of Cropses
4.Spirit Walk /Jaunt
5.Acid Clound /Acid Rain
6.Gagantaun /Bruiser
Passive: Jungle Fortitude ,Pierce the Veil ,Fierce Loyalty
MP3 act3 LVing and farming set up
1.Fire Bomb/Ghost Bomb
2.Zombie Dogs /Leeching Beasts
3.Grasp Of The Dead /Rain of Cropses
4.Spirit Walk /Jaunt
5.Acid Clound /Acid Rain
6.Gagantaun /Bruiser
Passive: Jungle Fortitude ,Blood Ritual or Fetish Sycophants ,Fierce Loyalty

-What stats do I look for in items to maximize the efficiency of this build?
I use legend or set item for most part of gears so u can find and copy item that I use easy just get 4000Armor, 700 all resis , 40000HP ,100k DPS (buff) ,500 Dex ,2000 Life regen for all minimum spec. People in forum said LOH work very well with Acid Rain but I never test out lazy to re set up gear.

-What Inferno MP level is this build at its best?
Mp6 still all clear NP but I prefer Mp3 for speed and timing and Mp7 only go for keys and Uber with party.
Edited by Exia#6216 on 11/17/2012 9:42 AM PST
Reply Quote
I've got one question about grasp of the dead/rain of corpses and grave injustice. Lets say I hit GotD, immediately kill 8mobs so cooldown is over and hit GotD again, is the effect overwrited or does it stack so there are 2x more corpses raining?
Edited by Zathroth#2351 on 11/17/2012 10:54 AM PST
Reply Quote
11/17/2012 07:08 AMPosted by xSkilling
theres a pet guide here

The pet build is the one I used to power through Hell and my first Inferno run, based of Peter's guide. :)

11/17/2012 07:08 AMPosted by xSkilling
higher MPs, everyone uses different builds...cuz when u slow down killing speed, all spells are fair game

Not always true. Boss encounters have an Enrage buff that triggers if they're still alive after 3-5 minutes since the start of the encounter. Zoltun Kulle was able to one-shot me after he enraged, and I had 43k health and 500-600 resist. Also, personally, I feel that Spirit Barrage needs a buff. The Phantasm rune is just useless.
Reply Quote
Zombie Bear Build
My main char uses the ZB build with a skorn. It's been pretty efficient for me. The chargers do instant damage and it's more than most of the other builds. Depending on the MP lvl and your dps, you can get around with just using GI. For higher MP levels I tend to use VQ and a primary that gains mana back. An important thing for this build is to realize that DPS isn't as important as DP cast. Attack speed makes your DPS higher, but you run out of mana faster.

So + %attack speed isn't that much of a priority if it is even a priority at all? I use the ZB currently to mow down elites faster, and those pesky treasure goblins.

11/17/2012 07:43 AMPosted by GICYUNVMe
A key to this build is to understand that your pets still shouldn't be your main attack.

I've made this mistake for the entire duration of my first Inferno run. I just ran around hoping my Dogs could finish the monsters off. :)

Haunt + spirit build-
It's an interesting build. My variant didn't have an AOE. I still use it for ubers because I don't have to worry about mana. IMO they should change burning skull or whatever it is, to a spirit attack so you can gain mana back with it... I wouldn't use this build for anything other than ubers (and there are still better builds against ubers.) It's fun being able to attack through walls and stuff though.

I've tested this build, and if Rush of Essence reaches enough stacks, your Mana Regen is quadrupled in a few casts of Haunt and Barrage. I'm not fond of Spirit Barrage however; Acid Cloud is much better in terms of dps.

Thanks so much for info! I tip my mask to you Sir.
Reply Quote
@FriskyDingo

Great build! I've been looking for improvements to my current ZB build. Thanks! :)
Reply Quote
@DanSkyWalker

I'm currently running Inferno MP4 and doing okay. Gearing is difficult if you keep getting trashy legendary items.

11/17/2012 08:58 AMPosted by DanSkyWalker
Mandatory as in to achieve good efficiency.

Yes! :)
Reply Quote
@Exia

Excellent advice! I'm skeptical about Life on Hit because, as GICYUNVMe said, it doesn't benefit pets. I prefer regeneration from Fierce Loyalty. I used Slow Burn rune instead of Acid Rain. It worked well when pets were keeping them still and was also one of the reasons why I really hated the Teleporter affix.

Your build is very versatile and I'm really considering going back to my pet build instead of ZB build.
Reply Quote
love your build ,same i have been using i change out PV for what ever I need
Reply Quote
The reason I use Acid Rain because it has big area enemies hardly to avoid this attack so I have no problem about any elite affix only waller and illusionist affix can annoy my attack but still can handle just kite them to open area that have more space to run around. About Slow Burn rune it ok u can delay not to hurry up cast acid clound every 2-3 second but no point since the build I use hardly to run out of mana and Slow Burn rune may have some problem when face big number of white mob or some strong elite pack the u need to kite them around can't stand still to fight them that why Acid Rain will more useful.

I saw u start stack life regen I think maybe u will gona use fierce loyalty for pets soon so I must tell that massive life regen alone not useful on zombie bear build especially when fight with reflect damage affix u need life on hit or life steal in bear build and life on hit, life steal more costly than life regen. When I use cropse spider I feel I'm not take any damage from reflect damage compare to other primary skill only damage that reflect from pets I take that very little to me.
Edited by Exia#6216 on 11/18/2012 10:30 AM PST
Reply Quote
Batman Build
-Does LoH proc on Firebats?
-Is the range of Cloud of Bats melee or does it expand continuously?
-What is the proc coefficient of Firebats?
-How is damage and survivability balanced?

There's something strange going on currently with firebats and procs, so I'm not too sure (see my post in the bugs forum). It does have a decent range though.

You can check my build for for a pet/firebats build. I can cakewalk MP4 farming. Also, I group for MP8 infernal machine farm and my pets hardly need resummoned. Plus when the barbs and the DH die, I can rez them no problem (I rarely die, and spirit walk + rez = lol). Also, the barbs love you when you can take the Siegebreaker hold so they don't. Just dismiss the Gargantuan so it doesn't stun while Siegebreaker is up. And dismiss dogs if you need to rez, or the reflect damage will break it.
Edited by fearsyth#1406 on 11/18/2012 1:07 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]