Diablo® III

Shocking Aspect Model

Some examples: for a 53s fight, with 2.6904 attacks per second, 50.5 CC, 19 APoC, and just casting WW I get an average of 4120 WW tics over the duration of the fight. For reference, that APS means 33 tics per cast, or about 14 WW active at a time, on average. 4120 tics means about 2060 crits which means about 260 SA procs, which is what my model is calculating.

My dps data for my 53s Ghom fight (my dps is really low because I swap to a 20 dps weapon for Hell (10) data collection:
Char sheet dps = 16589.47
Effective Weapon Damage = Char sheet dps / APS = 6166.17
Effective DPS with Storm Armor: 44791.55
Effective DPS with Storm Armor and SA: 71295.53
Approximate dps of SA = 26503.99
Total SA damage = SA DPS * 53s = 1391459
SA Damage per proc = Effective Weapon Damage * 0.35 = 2158.16
Total SA procs = SA damage / SA damage per proc = 645

Are you sure SA damage is based on effective weapon dps (i.e., not including APS) ? Maybe it's based on char sheet dps, which includes APS. In that case,

# SA procs = 645 / 2.6904 = 240

which is closer to the 260 that you seem to be expecting.
Reply Quote

Are you sure SA damage is based on effective weapon dps (i.e., not including APS) ? Maybe it's based on char sheet dps, which includes APS. In that case,

# SA procs = 645 / 2.6904 = 240

which is closer to the 260 that you seem to be expecting.

Yes, I'm pretty sure it's not based on APS, since it does 35% of weapon damage per proc. The attack speed will affect tic rates, which will affect procs, but that's an indirect result. For all skills besides WW that I tested (CR and MM - Seeker mainly) the damage done was precisely 35% of the weapon damage.

Also, my recent results indicate that the coefficient you find by divinding the actual procs by expected procs is inversely related to attack speed. In other words, higher attack speeds result in lower coefficients. The fact that the APS in my test is almost equal to the ~2.45 coefficient is mostly coincidental.
Reply Quote
I know running 60cc and 424CD makes SA insanely powerfull!
Reply Quote
A simple question. Are you factoring in the damage from storm armor base ability? The damage it does against single targets is pretty respectable.
Reply Quote
Yes, if you read the first post I said I take the dps from a run with WW and storm armor and subtract that from another run with WW+Storm Armor+Shocking Aspect. I use that dps to determine how many SA procs are needed to deal that damage and compare that to the expected number of tics based on the total WW tics for that fight duration.
Reply Quote
(insider from blizzard)

deleted message....

tracking the outcome....

1.0.6. wizard skills proposal - under progress

edited - reserve for more updates
Edited by HuRT#6406 on 11/18/2012 3:47 AM PST
Reply Quote
This is indeed an interesting problem. I was trying to test the damage multiplier given by Shocking Aspect and noticed something similar and then found this thread.

In my testing, I did two Azmodan MP9 runs, the 1st with Storm Armor (No Rune) and the 2nd with Storm Armor (Shocking Aspect). The 1st gave me a dps multiplier of 4.34 and the 2nd gave 6.15. The difference was 1.81.

In my calculations, if I assume that Shocking Aspect is proc'ed the same way as Critical Mass is, the difference between the multipliers will be 0.83 - I have to multiply this by a fiddle factor of 2.18 to get 1.81. Surprisingly, the fiddle factor of 2.18 is the same as the one you would have multiplied, because from your post:

"If I back calculate the number of WW tics needed to achieve 645 SA procs, I get around 10200 WW tics, which would mean 35 twisters up at a time for the duration of the fight. I only get ~ 16 casts every 6s, so that is impossible."

which gives:

35/16 = 2.1875.

My APS is 2.6895, Crit Chance is 56.5%, APoC is 20. When testing, I was using Energy Twister (Wicked Wind), Explosive Blast (Chain Reaction), Frost Nova (Bone Chill), Cold Blooded, and Evocation.
Edited by hazart#2626 on 11/19/2012 11:09 AM PST
Reply Quote
It's good to have a little confirmation that my observations weren't completely wrong :)

Just for kicks I put your stats into my dps simulator and get 4.32 without SA and 6.09 with SA doing about 29% of the overall dps, so it looks like my correction factor is working decently well for your stats.
Reply Quote
It's good to have a little confirmation that my observations weren't completely wrong :)

Just for kicks I put your stats into my dps simulator and get 4.32 without SA and 6.09 with SA doing about 29% of the overall dps, so it looks like my correction factor is working decently well for your stats.

That's some impressive result! Did you use: Coef = -0.8737*APS + 4.8035 ?

Btw, from my calculations, I'm able to cast Frost Nova every 1.66 sec. on average against a single elite mob. Can you please verify this result for me using your simulator? (I know this has nothing to do with Storm Armor or Shocking Aspect.) :p
Edited by hazart#2626 on 11/19/2012 4:38 PM PST
Reply Quote

Btw, from my calculations, I'm able to cast Frost Nova every 1.66 sec. on average against a single elite mob. Can you please verify this result for me using your simulator? (I know this has nothing to do with Storm Armor or Shocking Aspect.) :p

Yes, I used that equation for the SA procs from WW.

My results show 67.6% uptime on frost nova. The max duration on elites is 1.05 I believe, so your approximate uptime with 1.66s between refreshes is 1.05/1.66 = 0.6325, which is pretty close to my results considering that simple ratio doesn't account for CC DR reduction while mob isn't frozen.
Reply Quote

Yes, I used that equation for the SA procs from WW.

My results show 67.6% uptime on frost nova. The max duration on elites is 1.05 I believe, so your approximate uptime with 1.66s between refreshes is 1.05/1.66 = 0.6325, which is pretty close to my results considering that simple ratio doesn't account for CC DR reduction while mob isn't frozen.

Thanks. But it seems that if I can cast Frost Nova every 1.66 sec. on average, the monster's CC resistance will very rarely drop below 65% such that the Frost Nova uptime should be very close to 1.05/1.66 = 0.6325?
Edited by hazart#2626 on 11/24/2012 8:24 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]