Diablo® III

Any real alternatives to CM/WW or Archon?

I tried out some of the old school kiting builds and the like.. they just.. suck. There's a serious imbalance in skills for this class, it seems.

I mean sure I could set the game to MP0-3 and pretend like other skills are good.. but honestly, if I can solo MP8 with CM/WW spec but I try any other combination of skills and just get spanked.. then where is this build diversity Blizzard preaches about so much?

Anyone creative out there with some fun spec ideas.

I tried one involving ray of frost with Sleet Storm using Wicked Wind to keep my arcane up, until I just realized I was basically just doing the permafreeze CM/WW build, only less efficiently.

I'd love to like... use meteor as a primary attack, or something. Anything, lol... Cm/WW is boring and quite frankly it hurts my hands mashing the buttons so much.
Reply Quote
Read the sticky above. Lots of idea there.
Reply Quote
i've been toying with the cm/ww/archon hybrid build for faster farming. you could try that and see (just change explosive blast to archon thrown blood magic and use cm/ww to cool it down; do not change gears, just skills) that's really it
Reply Quote
View profile
Im sure anything that will allow you to spam defense and DPS.

Thats all archon and CM is. Mechanics are different.

Archon spams a 375% beam and get huge armor and AR buffs from archon.

CM spams a bunch of melee aoe spells and DS for protection.

But bottom line is you need to spam D and DPS for effectiveness . All effective builds do so. Like these new desentigrate builds are worth looking into. basically Archon without cooldowns.
Edited by Aimless#1700 on 11/16/2012 5:35 PM PST
Reply Quote
all build works you just need a min req to make it works, like if you want to run disingrate to mp8 you need 1M dps and 10% LS, it just happned that cm/ww has little req to work on high mp because it spam nova/ds
Reply Quote
11/16/2012 05:36 PMPosted by leahzirch
like if you want to run disingrate to mp8 you need 1M dps and 10% LS

damn is that even possible??
Reply Quote
No, it isn't. You can't have 10% LS on a non-barb, unless I'm missing something.
Reply Quote
I know Archon is the de facto standart, it's easy to build, easy to run. Yet, standstill beam and no access to Wormhole make it inferior imho.

If you're interested in xp/legendary farming, blizzard at MP0 is the way to go. I've tested most other builds and have had the best result so far with this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6Eiy4oh94g
Edited by krali#2833 on 11/16/2012 5:49 PM PST
Reply Quote
MP0? Ugh..

I can just use any skill combination at MP0 like literally just picking them at random.
I want an effective mid-high MP build.. that ISN'T cookie cutter.

Blizz has given us a ****y customization system
Reply Quote
Meh. Not impressed with build diversity. You fail blizzard.
Reply Quote

more like.....you fail at making wizard builds. There quite a few viable builds out there for mp8+ that have been demonstrated but you need to build your wizard around them.
Edited by Cbronson#1217 on 11/16/2012 7:33 PM PST
Reply Quote
BUMP are you ****ing serious so there's no other viable builds?
I can use pretty much every barbarian skill on my barb and still solo MP8 for the most part... but on my wiz which I can walk mp8 on CM/WW but with ANY other combination of skills I can do NOTHING.

**** this. what should i do sell my wizzie lol?
He's up for trade i guess. I want at least 150M for him

any takers?
Reply Quote
BUMP are you ****ing serious so there's no other viable builds?
I can use pretty much every barbarian skill on my barb and still solo MP8 for the most part... but on my wiz which I can walk mp8 on CM/WW but with ANY other combination of skills I can do NOTHING.

**** this. what should i do sell my wizzie lol?
He's up for trade i guess. I want at least 150M for him

any takers?

Serious? The dude just answered your question:

11/16/2012 07:27 PMPosted by Cbronson

more like.....you fail at making wizard builds. There quite a few viable builds out there for mp8+ that have been demonstrated but you need to build your wizard around them.

Every wiz build is like that. Archon you have to gear specific things. CM you have to gear specific things. You can't have CM gear on and expect to faceroll mp8 with Archon right? Why would you think it's possible with other builds?
Reply Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1rZNHn4z4o

check it out !
Reply Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1rZNHn4z4o

check it out !

Wow.. have to admit.. it's exactly what I was asking for.
Ok.. this is a really fun build lol

Using it right now on MP6 with my current wiz gear.. nice!
Reply Quote
11/16/2012 05:33 PMPosted by Aimless
Like these new desentigrate builds are worth looking into. basically Archon without cooldowns.

What are these new disintegrate builds you are talking about? curious. thanks.
Reply Quote
What are these new disintegrate builds you are talking about? curious. thanks.

you'll need most of these:

helm with -disintegrate
ring of jordan with -disintegrate
2handed weapon (pref. skorn) - (slower attacks helps diminish ap consumption)

ap regeneration skills (power hungry passive?? :D)
4pcs tal rasha set
Reply Quote
Seems like at the end of the day though, if you can maintain continuous archon, is going to always be better than a disintegrate build; the archon beam is inherently better. I suppose the disintegrate build might be preferable for less dense areas (hunting key wardens, etc?)
Reply Quote
11/16/2012 05:27 PMPosted by Aphraell
Read the sticky above. Lots of idea there.

Did you actually had a read of that? Would have given you a dozen ideas to try.
Reply Quote
View profile
11/16/2012 05:36 PMPosted by leahzirch
all build works you just need a min req to make it works, like if you want to run disingrate to mp8 you need 1M dps and 10% LS, it just happned that cm/ww has little req to work on high mp because it spam nova/ds

lol ur living in 1.0.4 back when u could just stack CC and roll. now u need to stack cc and ias and ar and armor and loh and apoc that exponential in cost. I've seen scrubs say they can do mp10 but then when i join them they die 3x on first elite pack.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]