Diablo® III

Any real alternatives to CM/WW or Archon?

I can just use any skill combination at MP0 like literally just picking them at random.
I want an effective mid-high MP build.. that ISN'T cookie cutter.
Ok this is how things stand: it is possible to devise an effective build for mid-MP levels (say 3-6 depending on your effective dps). There are 2 problems though - if you go melee/short-range build, you will have big trouble with kiters (especially when they spawn with fast/teleport) as well as with floor hazards and through successive modifications of your skill loadout you will basically end up near the current WW/CM standard (key is frost nova+diamond skin with cooldown reduction). If you use a mid/long-range build, you will need high eHP and life regain to be able to tank ranged attacks and affixes like mortar; otherwise you will have to kite which drastically reduces efficiency of such a build.

I've tried a couple of builds and while I did find some which were viable when it comes to effective dps, they were not as flexible as WW/CM or Archon. Because I'm currently only slowly building my WW/CM gearset, I use archon or wormhole/disintegrate 95% of the time (still unsure which one is better for efficiency).

you'll need most of these:

helm with -disintegrate
ring of jordan with -disintegrate
2handed weapon (pref. skorn) - (slower attacks helps diminish ap consumption)

ap regeneration skills (power hungry passive?? :D)
4pcs tal rasha set
That seems excessive. 20 ApoC and low crit chance (35%) allows me to channel disintegrate with a 1.4 speed weapon for quite a few seconds. You can do that build with LL+Prodigy without a specialized set of gear or use your WW/CM gearset to spawn tornadoes to fuel disintegrate.
Reply Quote
11/16/2012 11:05 PMPosted by yems
What are these new disintegrate builds you are talking about? curious. thanks.

you'll need most of these:

helm with -disintegrate
ring of jordan with -disintegrate
2handed weapon (pref. skorn) - (slower attacks helps diminish ap consumption)

ap regeneration skills (power hungry passive?? :D)
4pcs tal rasha set

iirc, someone did this build and flamed the general discussion asking blizzard why he doesn't have perma dis yet regardless of having -17 casting cost to dis' 18 casting cost. his AP still drained like crazy. i told him get apoc, he flamed me to death :(
Reply Quote
I tried out some of the old school kiting builds and the like.. they just.. suck. There's a serious imbalance in skills for this class, it seems.

I mean sure I could set the game to MP0-3 and pretend like other skills are good.. but honestly, if I can solo MP8 with CM/WW spec but I try any other combination of skills and just get spanked.. then where is this build diversity Blizzard preaches about so much?

Anyone creative out there with some fun spec ideas.

I tried one involving ray of frost with Sleet Storm using Wicked Wind to keep my arcane up, until I just realized I was basically just doing the permafreeze CM/WW build, only less efficiently.

I'd love to like... use meteor as a primary attack, or something. Anything, lol... Cm/WW is boring and quite frankly it hurts my hands mashing the buttons so much.

So you wanna use meteor eh? It's not quite as effective as cm/ww but 10x the fun

https://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7004046046?page=1#0

Me doing mp 9 ubers with the build http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGuMhNcbJIw&feature=plcp
Edited by Strifen#1543 on 11/17/2012 7:19 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]