Diablo® III

XP farming: a blizzard build

Thanks krali!

I believe hellfire/max ruby/5 NV is +141% (35+31+75). So perfect leoric of 30% would give total 171% which is 21% increase from 141%.

What MP do you do? I do MP1 and have 180k DPS buffed with blood magic and glass cannon on, could get more if i changed to sparkflint but will lose AP regen. Generally mobs die with one blizz in MP1 at 180k.

Also there is this guy FxyO who does a similar build, though he claims 75mil XP per hour, not 80mil, and he uses sleet storm instead of spectral blades. Ever tried that?
Reply Quote
You get +7% from follower's Hellfire.

I havent tried sleet storm, healing blades offering so much flexibility, especially against RD...
About XP claims, I guess it depends on rares you pickup and so on.
Then there's experience in rushing maps. Arreat 1 can be tricky sometimes.
Reply Quote
Thanks for this, love it. The one thing I didn't like about wiz was their slow farming speed, this is actually faster than any other class maybe. For exp only though, because it's better to leave the drops.
Reply Quote
View profile
selling perfect roll frostburn gauntlets if any one is interested. (6%,30%,220armor,5907globs,7pur). chucknorris#1885
Reply Quote
11/25/2012 09:40 AMPosted by ChuckNorris
selling perfect roll frostburn gauntlets if any one is interested. (6%,30%,220armor,5907globs,7pur). chucknorris#1885

wish you offered earlier cos it took me ages scrolling through AH screens with no proper filter to find a perfect one....ended up getting mine for 50k
Reply Quote
fail at OP not mentioning the fact that blizzard is not affected by IAS so you should use A) the slowest attack speed weapon and B) no IAS gear to maximize your effectiviness....which is incredibly limited since Blizzard deals AT THE VERY MOST 200% of your wpn dmg per cast per enemy over 6 seconds which is horribly horribly inefficient compared to any other build
Reply Quote
limited to mp1 or 2 since beyond that blizzards pathetic dps wont kill any mobs
Reply Quote
I have about 140k DPS unbuffed and using frostburn gauntlets. I find that in MP1, some mobs occasionally dont die such as mobs in Bridge of Korshik.

But in MP0 its almost guaranteed death. Therefore, I feel like MP0 is probably more efficient because you know for certain that they die.

Btw i use an oculus with blizz duration +3 so its like a free unrelenting storm that increases total damage due to longer duration.
Reply Quote
11/25/2012 07:23 PMPosted by Cbronson
fail at OP not mentioning the fact that blizzard is not affected by IAS so you should use A) the slowest attack speed weapon and B) no IAS gear to maximize your effectiviness....which is incredibly limited since Blizzard deals AT THE VERY MOST 200% of your wpn dmg per cast per enemy over 6 seconds which is horribly horribly inefficient compared to any other build

It's clearly written though: "Blizzard damage does not use attack speed" (Gearing section).

You're wrong on both aspects btw. Spectral blades and wormhole are cast more often than blizzard and benefit from IAS because you have to chaincast. I'll complete my explanation in the Gearing section about 2h weapons.

Additionally, you should not run any MP with this build. It's a specialized build, made for xp at MP0. It is the optimal approach, there are many threads about MP level efficiency out there.
Edited by krali#2833 on 11/26/2012 5:30 AM PST
Reply Quote
Hey Krali, could you assess my wiz gear and tell me how to improve it for this build? I want to get more pickup radius cheaply but it means sacrificing on stats somewhere.

Also, I still die once in a while, mainly against Phasebeasts and those really fast big monsters in Bridge of Korshik (sorry forgot the name), so feel like I need more defense somewhere.
Reply Quote
Blizzard/healing blades are very bad against Demonic Tremors... hidden knockback+fast affixes and no significant ranged damage on your part meaning they melee you, interrupt your blades thus your healing flow and kill you.
When you spot them, kite them: continue spamming blizzard on your usual way, keep aggro, don't waste time. When they're low, stop and finish the job.

I'd say ~20 yard pickup radius is comfortable. So I'd suggest dropping Inna's in favor of mitigation pants with pickup radius. Dropping a bit of attack speed is not too problematic, your setup is fast enough.

Also, with more DPS, Power Hungry will better maintain your AP flow, provided your blizzard kills fast enough that some mobs die around you. Try aiming the spell far ahead of your path. Maybe you could take sparkflint instead of arcanot, your passive regen is already nice !

I'm curious about your choice of Electrify rune. Care to explain ? Isn't its proc based on spell coefficient ? iirc Stark Winter is 1% per tick and healing blades is not great either...
Reply Quote
My wizard doesn't have the best gear, but last night i briefly tried a blizzard build and it seemed to work pretty well for me. Of course, my profile hasn't updated to reflect this yet.
Lucked out at the AH and found <1 min to go on 100kgold bid black dmg 2h-hammer 1330dps 400 int 2300LOK 119critdmg.
Act3 MP0 runs, blizzard ticks at 10-20k and my health is constantly being refreshed with the 2300LOK.

Also picked up for 70kgold frostburn gloves +6% cold +30% cold skills, which is a slight dps improvement over my normal gloves BUT I also get the pickup radius and health globe bonus. I can imagine how strong these gloves would be if I had crazy gear in my other slots.
Reply Quote
Blizzard/healing blades are very bad against Demonic Tremors... hidden knockback+fast affixes and no significant ranged damage on your part meaning they melee you, interrupt your blades thus your healing flow and kill you.
When you spot them, kite them: continue spamming blizzard on your usual way, keep aggro, don't waste time. When they're low, stop and finish the job.

I'd say ~20 yard pickup radius is comfortable. So I'd suggest dropping Inna's in favor of mitigation pants with pickup radius. Dropping a bit of attack speed is not too problematic, your setup is fast enough.

Also, with more DPS, Power Hungry will better maintain your AP flow, provided your blizzard kills fast enough that some mobs die around you. Try aiming the spell far ahead of your path. Maybe you could take sparkflint instead of arcanot, your passive regen is already nice !

I'm curious about your choice of Electrify rune. Care to explain ? Isn't its proc based on spell coefficient ? iirc Stark Winter is 1% per tick and healing blades is not great either...

hey Krali, sorry for my late reply - have been away for awhile!

appreciate your feedback! i am hesitant changing out my inna pants because of the DPS it gives me with the IAS - if i change for rare pants, then I would need to use lacuni prowlers instead

i tried all the runes of spectral blades and sleet storm and agree that healing blades gives more flexibility esp against RD, but sleet storm kills elites SO fast. Its an annoying spell though because u need to be in close range, and if you click on a mob far away, the stupid wiz stops and casts for nothing...maybe a bug that can be fixed by Blizzard (the company)!

btw im doing this by swapping out my leoric for a SOJ, haha...went on a spending spree buying 3 SOJs (+2sec blizz, +12% blades, +7% ROF) and notice a slight drop in EXP but quicker elite kills now

as for electrify magic weapon, i use that becaues i feel healing blades and LS on weapon is enough and blood magic doesnt really add any value...i chose electrify because i heard how good it was with mobs and CM/WW without really understanding how it works :P its strange though, it seems to proc with blizzard...i drop a blizzard on packs and sometimes i see the electricity animation.

Krali - do you pick up rares? or only legendaries? I am running Alkaiser run but adding in Rakkis Crossing, and still only getting 70M/hr, not 80M/hr...any ideas why?

Edit: Compared SOJ ROF with sleetstrom vs SOJ Blades with Healing blades in the DPS calc for my gear....sleetstorm does 700k DPS and returns 3500 life per second from LS, healing blades does 410k DPS and returns 2000 life per second!
Edited by Bankai#2591 on 12/2/2012 2:50 PM PST
Reply Quote
Electrify does proc with blizzard. 2% per tick on most runes, 1% on Star Winter, which is no much imho. I try not to use anything related with spell coefficients in this build, as blizzard coef is so bad...

I pickup all rings/amu/gloves and lvl 62-63 1h/bracers/pants/wizard hat.
Reply Quote
Looks like fun but Id probably have to regear a bit for some pickup radius to make Power Hungry work. Also for some reason when you add that stat to anything it adds like 4 million gold to the price.
Edited by Dabrixmgp#1694 on 12/3/2012 2:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
oks like fun but Id probably have to regear a bit for some pickup radius to make Power Hungry work. Also for some reason when you add that stat to anything it adds like 4 million gold to the price.

Once you try it you like it! Add a bi ol Health from Health Globes affix too! It's awesome to be a distance caster and pick up AP from the mobs you killed halfway across the screen! I think some people are picking up on this because pickup radius is starting to get more expensive (it's always had some value I assume from bot kitouts).
Reply Quote
Guys ive found sometuhing interestinrg for this build, life steal sever!

get one with high damage and high demon dmg, life steal can be low though.. as 2% of a huge crit will insta fill up anyways and with all the spaced out killing going on ur constantly spiking to full health coz !@#$ is just dieing behind you.

I also used a 6-25 soj with 12% to sb + some 6-30 frostburns. my buffed dps was %^-*, like 110k but still with all those dmg bonuses everything just melts, getting 60 mill xp/hr without even being used to the style, almost never telep, bad routing.. this is gona be sick xp when i get the hang.
Reply Quote
Sever is quite interesting.
Though my current focus is on getting enough DPS that mobs die around me, to get globes for Power Hungry, and see more loots.
Edited by krali#2833 on 12/19/2012 5:14 AM PST
Reply Quote
yep its that interesting that it allows me to use glass cannon with it, crazy life sustain.

dont underestimate the 25% to demons, that effectively jumps my 175k dps (no soj, frostburn , coldbloded or hellfire) to 219k dps no cd anywhere in weapon. the only thing we are killing that are not demons are the skellies which have like 70k hp anyways in mp0.

now the math behind using frostburn + sever + coldbloded , my dps using frostburn + a !@#$ty hellfire i have + soj = 113k dps

so 30% from frostburn + 25 from sever + 20 from coldbloded = 75%. 113k dps x 1.75 = 198k dps on trash using blizzard

the soj has +12% to sb so thats 1.87 x 113k = 211k dps using sb on trash.
(im guessing that since i have cold mod % elemental damage the 30% on frostburn applies to sb too)

now vs elites we add anotuher 25% more from soj so thats 100% on blizzard so 113k x 2 = 226K dps

and sb vs elites = 212% which is 113k x 2.12 = 239k dps.

and u can slash em under the blizzard so the damarge stacks.

i think the dps values are good enough to have such crazy life sustain.

anyways them severs are cheap, just get one try it out and see if you like it.
Edited by ximae#1789 on 12/19/2012 7:07 AM PST
Reply Quote
k just tested killing some elites just with sb and the soj + frostburn setup and was doing like 380k-390k dps/s (2.33 mill hp in 6 sec). not even dropping a blizz. so i think the math is pretty close.

as 239k x 1.65 (sb dam multi) = 394k

edit: doh i was testing in mp3 i had loaded from a previous archon run.... and trash still died from tuhe first blizz little later though, in mp0 it is almost instant death so yeah i can pick up globes.
Edited by ximae#1789 on 12/19/2012 7:27 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]