Diablo® III

XP farming: a blizzard build

I am transitioning over to this build and would appreciate any suggestions on what gear I should change/upgrade. Thanks!
Reply Quote
Well one thing that's helpful is a source that give increased blizzard duration or decreased teleport cool down or both. Triumvirates can roll increased blizzard duration and oculus can roll both.
Reply Quote
@eLINminator I've read your thread, but can't stand Arreat1, really.
I don't run Alkaizer run usually, this run is more for comparison purposes. I run Core->Damned1->Curse1->Arreat2->DK2->Rakkis south-> Fields->Stonefort.

I got above 78M xp/h for my last few paragon lvls, including identifying a stash of rares every few runs.

That sold me for efficiency, as I was making about 55-60M xp/h with Archon-tp-scramble.
I'm also improving playing the build. I've reached above 200 massacres bonus several times yesterday, thanks to Power Hungry AP flow.

Check Point outside of Arreat 2.

Arreat 2 -> Teleport to Keeps 1, go through the door to keeps 2. Kill everything -> Teleport to Rakkis Crossing. Repeat

100m~ xp/hr for Tempest Rush. Runs take less than 5 minutes. Duplicate it using the your build. No other location combination is better for XP vs Time. If you spend more than 3 seconds looking for monsters your current run needs an adjustment.
Reply Quote
Tempest rush is way faster than blizzard build but it's also way faster than anything in the game especially with fleet footed and submission. But that's a pretty expensive build. Currently working on one right now.
Reply Quote
Love the build guys. I went ahead and stocked up on some +blizzard items before the mad rush in 1.0.7 when everyone realizes how awesome this build will become. :)

A big 2 hander can run this build almost as fast if you use a SC up top. The extra base weapon damage really bumps up blizzard's strength.

Edit: Here's a great question for you guys: How do you make sure you get all the leg drops? Half of everything I kill is dying behind me, off screen. I know there's changing coming in 1.0.7 so drops show up on the mini-map but right now I feel like I'm missing a ton of stuff.
Edited by PurgatoryZ#1776 on 1/25/2013 11:40 AM PST
Reply Quote
I've been loving this build the past few days. 1.07 made this viable with only 100k DPS, although elites don't just blow up. I think maybe skipping them would yield higher XP/hour.

Quick question though, does IAS affect blizz DPS or should I be looking for a 1.20 speed mace and dropping my IAS items?
Reply Quote
Blizzard is not affected by IAS...
Reply Quote
This build is a LOT of fun. I just tried it for the first time yesterday, and I've never cleared faster.
Reply Quote
02/25/2013 08:52 PMPosted by ELicious
Quick question though, does IAS affect blizz DPS or should I be looking for a 1.20 speed mace and dropping my IAS items?

Take a look at my profile... the WD, not the wizard! I run that exact gear on my wizard for this build, except with a mempo and oculus. You want a low attack speed big damage weapon. CC%/CD% is not very important... you want to 1-shot mobs *every* time you attack, not just when you crit. So you see I have a high average damage LS weapon, huge INT, and 3 pieces of +elemental damage as well. Yeah, 98K sheet looks like a joke but I'm telling you: you can give up some CC/CD/IAS in order to stack everything else and this build will really fly.

Also: PUR on every piece you possibly can will solve your AP problems.

MP0 is actually slower than MP1 for me b/c mobs die before they get a chance to hit me for scramble.
Reply Quote
I think maybe skipping them would yield higher XP/hour.

This is the way to go for XP/hr.
50k sheet DPS with frostburns yielded around 115M/hr running MP5 crater 2 skipping elites.
Reply Quote
02/26/2013 10:50 AMPosted by Worloega

Take a look at my profile... the WD, not the wizard! I run that exact gear on my wizard for this build, except with a mempo and oculus. You want a low attack speed big damage weapon. CC%/CD% is not very important... you want to 1-shot mobs *every* time you attack, not just when you crit. So you see I have a high average damage LS weapon, huge INT, and 3 pieces of +elemental damage as well. Yeah, 98K sheet looks like a joke but I'm telling you: you can give up some CC/CD/IAS in order to stack everything else and this build will really fly.

Also: PUR on every piece you possibly can will solve your AP problems.

MP0 is actually slower than MP1 for me b/c mobs die before they get a chance to hit me for scramble.

All blue gear?? Why? How do you get 98k sheet DPS using all blue gear?

Also, blizz ticks so often that it seems like crit and CHD would even out over it's duration, so why not stack some CC and CHD to improve your DPS much more easily than stacking all int? I'm only at 123k buffed with all my CC and CHD, there's no way I could reach 100k without any of it at my budget.
Reply Quote
02/26/2013 11:15 AMPosted by Chazhang
I think maybe skipping them would yield higher XP/hour.

This is the way to go for XP/hr.
50k sheet DPS with frostburns yielded around 115M/hr running MP5 crater 2 skipping elites.

I tried putting on a pair of 27% frostburns I had but dropped from 123k to 93k. The extra 27% doesn't even make up for that, plus I lost 10% CC (for APOC) and 70 vit, so it looks like a clear downgrade.

When you do MP5 do you kill the first 5 elites to get your NV stacks or just forget stacks altogether? Seems like skipping NV stacks would be a huge XP hit.
Reply Quote
@ELicious: sorry about that, I was working on my blue gear dueling kit. I'll post again when I get a chance to login and update the profile.

You may be right about blizzard, I'm not sure. On the WD side, there are DOTs that either crit all ticks or none. As long as blizzard does not work that way, then yes you can add CC/CD. I am certain that IAS does not affect blizzard though... so you would still stack the other stats at the expense of IAS.

Also you will see that there is nothing particularly spectacular about my gear. When you take IAS/CC/CD out of the equation everything becomes quite affordable. The new crafted items help a ton too because of the guaranteed high INT rolls.
Reply Quote
Yeah, I've already dropped all my IAS gear besides WH and Inna's pants. I'm not exactly sure how blizzard works in terms of crit, but everything seems to die about equally fast. I'm at 299% CHD and I don't notice some mobs dying 4x faster than others. Plus, the CC really helps with the APOC. If I've already got so much CC for APOC I might as well get some CHD where I can to multiply my DPS.
Edited by ELicious#1898 on 2/27/2013 12:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
Logged in, swapped gear, logged out like an hour ago. Profile still hasn't updated. I guess we're back to that problem again, sigh.
Reply Quote
Profile updated.
Reply Quote
Lol, you have 3200 int. Your chest piece alone is probably worth over 100M. My whole outfit is about 20M. Like I said, I can't pull off decent DPS without crit on my budget, so a little CC and CHD goes a long way. And it's not like you dropped crit altogether. You still have 24% compared to my 38%. If I tried to move away from crit and stack straight int on my budget, all I would be doing is losing a bunch of DPS and gaining a couple hundred int.
Reply Quote
Chest cost 99M, many months ago. Probably cheaper now but I haven't looked. VW was self-found. Everything else is under 5M per piece (except the helm/offhand which are WD specific anyway).

The key piece I think you should consider is the weapon. Huge average damage and life steal. Yes, I give up the CD of a socket... but with the LS I can relax HP and mitigation elsewhere. E.g. your pox doesn't help your damage, not to mention the purple gems in your chest. And my mace only cost 5M! Very economical.

Forgot to mention: for wizard I sub in frostburns so that's 9% less CC on my wizard.

If blizzard ticks roll crit independently, then I will have to make some changes. Truth is I don't use this spec much on my wizard anymore, because my SNS gear is finally good enough that I always rather run him that way now.
Reply Quote
I can't wait to try try at home. Is this feasible with CMWW Gear? or are Cold Damage gears really a must for more efficiency? I'm just hoping I don't make a mistake in buying stuff for the build which in turn makes the process slower. Your experienced feedback is appreciated.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the post. I'll investigate this build later tonight as I'm (also) all about maximizing xp/hour with my build and gear. I roll with arcane orb because it's one of our few non-channel nukes, and it has huge damage... but it's also an AP beast.

Electrocute (forked lightning) is a nice companion because you can throw one beam and get all your bolt procs - nice damage and lots of AP. I'm guessing you're using spectral blade primarily for the healing, but if not then you might try Electrocute because it's great for filling up your AP.

I was going to suggest the passives you switched. If you're still having trouble, scramble's super nice but power of the storm will help out with mana costs. I also like using the prism rune on diamond skin.

*edit* yeah, ditch that familiar and pick up DS/prism IMO. But then you'll probably want critical mass... Ahhhhh. I love buildcrafting.
Edited by Magisterial#1985 on 3/18/2013 1:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]