Diablo® III

So confused about attack speed. Please help!

I have two huge attack speed questions that I cannot figure out.

1) Why does attack speed make the weapon to appear as if it does LESS damage?
2) How does attack speed affect your actual ability damage?

Really the best way to explain is with examples. (made up examples)

I have two items that are identical except one has +10% attack speed.
Why is the listed weapon damage number literally LOWER on the one WITH the attack speed? This makes it appear as if they do less damage with more attack speed.

In a specific scenario

**Comet say does 200% damage**

Using a wand with the SAME dps as a slower weapon does significantly less damage per comet. Although I can cast them faster now, shouldn't it do the same amount of damage just faster?

This makes me think attack speed is not very good at all. Just makes me run outta mana faster. In essence isnt this saying that faster attack speed is actually a BAD stat to have? If I have 2 axes, one has a +10% attack speed, I will literally do less damage every comet I cast?

Where is the logic, I am so confused.
Reply Quote
the world must be a very confusing place for you
Reply Quote
I have two items that are identical except one has +10% attack speed.
Why is the listed weapon damage number literally LOWER on the one WITH the attack speed? This makes it appear as if they do less damage with more attack speed

The listed weapon damage range might be lower than the other weapon's, but it attacks faster (for example, 1.55 per second), so it makes up for lower damage with more speed such that both are "similar."
Reply Quote
11/16/2012 07:09 PMPosted by Crenshinabon
If I have 2 axes, one has a +10% attack speed, I will literally do less damage every comet I cast?

Look at the base damage ranges. Are they the same???
Reply Quote
Using a wand with the SAME dps as a slower weapon does significantly less damage per comet. Although I can cast them faster now, shouldn't it do the same amount of damage just faster?
No, weapon dps (damage per second) already takes weapon speed into account. A faster weapon with the same dps as a slower weapon is going to deal less damage per hit but attack faster so in the end they will end up doing the same amount of damage.

This makes me think attack speed is not very good at all. Just makes me run outta mana faster. In essence isnt this saying that faster attack speed is actually a BAD stat to have? If I have 2 axes, one has a +10% attack speed, I will literally do less damage every comet I cast?
It is a bad stat to have if you cannot regain AP fast enough through other means and you are relying on AP spenders. However, geared wizards usually have high crit chance and APoC so attack speed's detrimental effect on AP management is almost completely negated (APoC+cc scale linearly with attack speed).
Reply Quote
in my experience CC and critical damage has been more important than attack speed, specialy on elite packs, critical hit damage doesn't show very well on your character sheet cuz is more dificult for the game to calculate to his irregularity,

example: critical hits could vary from 70K to 150K, from hit to hit.

Im my experience packs go down a lot more faster with high cc and crit dam, than just plain attack speed. And for efficient permafrost, y recomend go avobe 45% CC and 2.0 attacks per second
Edited by pelaez#1747 on 11/17/2012 3:49 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]