Diablo® III

Which class should I paragon 100? (no barbs)

Monk!
Reply Quote
How does One With Everything make gear cost more? If anything it lowers the cost. Your 50 resist all 40 resist lightning armor is now a 90 resist all armor. finding an item with a specific resistance is a lot cheaper than resist all. If you use OWE, you can buy a piece of gear with 50 to whatever resist you choose instead of resist all and you just saved gold. On top of that, you can spend just a little more for a rare that has the resistance of your choice and you just added that much resist all to your character. If you focus on the resist you choose on a couple items, it allows you to focus on other things with other items, like CD, CC, AS, and your main stat.
Reply Quote
I don't know how far you plan on taking this new character OP, but from what I've read the last few days, WD seem to be the most upset about how their class handles high MP levels. Of the other 4, they all bring something to a group:

1. Monk - 24/48% dmg increase for whole group
2. Barbarian - 20/20% armor and resist increase for whole group
3. Wizard - if goes CM + coldsnap brings the most Crowd Control available to all classes
4. Demon Hunter - 12% dmg increase for whole group

In terms of usefulness I'd say its probably 3 > 1 > 2 > 4 at high MP levels.

Actually the monk mantra that increases damage by 24% to 48% does not apply to a group...only the monk. :/

It does, you just cant see it on anyone because the aura technically goes on the minions. It doesn't give you 24-48% more damage. It makes your enemies take 24-48% more damage. Kind of like the one rune for blinding flash.
Reply Quote
My Monk build can work through MP7, just replace healing spirit with conviction damage reduction. My last build was for team play, somebody else had conviction so thats why my profile shows healing spirit instead of conviction damgae reduction. I just stun enemeis to death, and tempesh rush if things get too hot.
Reply Quote
11/16/2012 05:30 PMPosted by Apoth
While you’re deciding which class to play and what kind of builds you'll use, you may want to consider the amount of solo versus group play the character will do since that can sometimes make a big difference.

d3 is a solo game, why on earth would any play in groups? it's a horrible experience, most of them are afk in their stash 90% of the time. plus you can't use mercs in multiplayer, why on earth would someone give up the mercs' benefits in single play?

Then you aren't playing in the right groups. Get out of public games and find a good core group of people to play with that are all on the same level. It makes a world of difference.
Reply Quote
I tried them all and settled back on my first char, the monk.
I love em... fun as hell.

I do both solo and group when I want to mix it up a little bit. If I can no stop being lazy and farm a few machines I can maybe get a hellfire ring to inc my exp gain, but honestly I am not in a rush.

Whatever you do focus everything on the one you choose... Can only imagine where my monk would be if I spent all my time and resources on him instead of everywhere else.
Reply Quote
I am looking for another class to level up in spare time when I don't play my barb. I am just not sure how other classes balance their dps and durability.

I was really interested in the monk, however the options for resists are pretty pathetic. Most monks go with One With Everything, which requires me to build sets of gear based simply on one aspect of resist (eg. Poison resist). That will either be way too costly for me or make it so that I cant find my ideal pieces. I was also interested in the Wiz or DH but the lack of healing abilities for the wiz made me really look away from ranged classes. DH is still up for grabs, but IMO there is no amazing defensive abilities and the damage isn't all that great.

Any opinions on another class? I can maybe do lifesteal on a wizard. I just want the balance of heals, damage and resists.

Regarding Monks and OWE. I actually find that it has the opposite effect you've described. Think of it this way, EVERY DH and some Monks are looking for DEX/All Resist. Whereas only about 1/5 of monks are looking for each resist. Less demand = lower prices in general. I don't know about others but when I am looking at the items I find if it has a high DEX roll and high Poison resist roll I think "hey this would be great for a poison resist monk so it might sell." Which means that if others are thinking the same way, the supply isn't really any more limited than all resist is. Gearing my Monk I actually looked for both AR and FR if possible but just FR was fine, and I was able to find a great selection at pretty cheap prices. If you are using the AH, OWE is actually very nice to gear with. On the other hand I rarely find upgrades for my monk because I look for fire resist as an additional stat. Don't let OWE scare you away from the class. As others have said, it is not as mandatory as you would think, and actually makes gearing off the AH easier (IMO) if you chose to use it.

Going back to your question, I really like my Wizard, and the lack of healing abilities does mean that you may find yourself very dependant on LoH or LS but Wizards do have a fair number of defensive skills at their disposal even if they don't help them to regain HP.
Edited by TheM0L3#1696 on 11/19/2012 8:31 AM PST
Reply Quote
11/18/2012 08:50 PMPosted by DusterDo
It does, you just cant see it on anyone because the aura technically goes on the minions. It doesn't give you 24-48% more damage. It makes your enemies take 24-48% more damage. Kind of like the one rune for blinding flash.

yes. but of note, the aura only covers 20 yards. yes, like blinding flash which also covers 20 yards. other auras cover 40 yards. i'm thinking 20 yards is a little over our sweeping wind.

going back on topic though, since OP is melee, go for ranged. Wiz > WD > DH.
Edited by PATAYtyoDyan#6730 on 11/19/2012 8:36 AM PST
Reply Quote
11/18/2012 08:44 PMPosted by DusterDo
How does One With Everything make gear cost more?

11/18/2012 08:44 PMPosted by DusterDo
On top of that, you can spend just a little more for a rare that has the resistance of your choice

You've literally answered your own questions. "spend just a little more". It "makes things cost more" because they flatly DO cost more. It also occupies a Passive slot, and an effective affix slot on all your gear. Instead of gearing up Resist All with just one affix, you're gearing up with Resist All for TWO Affixes. This leaves 4 for "other" things such as dps.

Also, Monks usually overgear Resist All because their innate Armor boosts are lacking (especially for a melee class). Compared to a Barb (who gets a good mix of offensive/defense, sometimes on the SAME ABILITY), Monks have the short end of the stick. Add in the crappy Inna's set (hint: it has no Resist All), you have a recipe for poor-man's melee. Sure, you can "make it work", but it will cost you much more than building any other character.
Reply Quote
wtf, since when did this game get content? no one ever told me! damnit!
Reply Quote
Op, don't play monk if it's just side character. Because it's the ultimate gold sink class.

But if u have made gold in the billions off your barb and u want to kick others butt when pvp comes out then this is the class.

My WD friends seems to be having lotsa fun.
Reply Quote
11/16/2012 05:29 PMPosted by Grimiku
While you’re deciding which class to play and what kind of builds you'll use, you may want to consider the amount of solo versus group play the character will do since that can sometimes make a big difference.

That makes me laugh....He says decide your builds lolol.If your a serious player and play on high mp's there is only 1 build for each class,which is sad.
Reply Quote
11/16/2012 05:29 PMPosted by Grimiku

not that it rly should.
Reply Quote
11/16/2012 05:09 PMPosted by Blizzard
Plus a really good WD gets about 150k dps. Kind of low for me...

Yes, around 150k DPS base...which you can then boost with five stacks of Soul Harvest. Then run over some health globes to get your Gruesome Feast up. Pop Big Bad Voodoo (Slam Dance) or even Mass Confusion (Paranoia) if you're feeling particularly sadistic...plus, if you're running a Grave Injustice build on lower MPs, you don't even have to worry about those pesky cooldowns. Then you start summoning Zombie Bears for 236% weapon damage EACH.

Sheet DPS can be extremely misleading.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]