Diablo® III

I've realized something very powerful.

The game is not that bad, i'd actually say it's better than classic D2

Is this acceptable, in your honest opinion? I mean, a sequel that's barely "better" (and that's very debatable) than the original release of it's 10+ year old predecessor?

Aside from that, the main flaw this game has imho is that loot itself is designed around the auction house. Unless you play only with self found items (very gratifying, i've heard, although your character will blow), you will always find yourself looking for upgrades in the auction house, simply because the loot system is so damn frustrating, that it leads you to it.

This kind of thing didn't happen in D2, where you found awesome mid-level loot that was perfectly viable for high level gameplay. The truly high-end gear was naturally hard to obtain, but what you could find on your own was simply so damn awesome that you could enjoy the game for years without having to resource to third party sites.This made the whole experience extremely rewarding, and it's precisely what D3 lacks, due to Blizzard willing to prey on people's frustration to make an easy buck with the auction house, something obscenely !@#$ed up, imo. Setting an auction house is ok, designing the loot system to revolve around it's usage is not, specially when real money is thrown into the mix. The RMAH being there to "protect" players from third party sites is a pretty story and all, but you have to be completely blind to not see it's true purpose. Otherwise, nobody would ever complain about the loot system sucking so bad as it does.

D3 lacks that feeling D2 had after a lot of polishing. Why the heck should such an anticipated sequel go back to barely "better" (again, debatable) than the original release of it's old prececessor? It doesn't make sense, and it is, i believe, the main reason why D3 has been such a disappointment for many people. The game is ok, but it definitely does not deserve the Diablo name. Heck, the only clear upgrade in this game is the graphics engine, and perhaps a few mechanics (healthglobes to minimize downtime, or the various class resource systems, for instance). That shouldn't happen to a franchise like Diablo. The game should be lightyears away from the masterpiece D2 is, but it failed to accomplish that objective.
Reply Quote
View profile
People like to complain. It's part of this new hipster douche-bag "I hate everything" generation. Or as I call them....generation 'Y'.

i'm Gen X. It has nothing to do with it. The game has been broken by the AH system. It was obvious to me months ago.
Reply Quote
11/17/2012 06:54 AMPosted by Bottle
Saying "it happened anyway, so at least Blizzard can control it" is a total cop out. When it was "illegal", it happened at a very minor rate, as you would expect illegal things to happen. Now that it's sanctioned, it's happening at a much higher rate. So you can't use that argument. You have to accept that the RMAH has turned this activity from scarce and shady to open and abundant. Just because Blizzard's open opposition to this behaviour didn't prevent it entirely, that doesn't mean that it wasn't completely effective in suppressing its volume by a great deal. This is the same concept as government enforcement of crime laws.
This is wrong. The only reason it was illegal is because Blizzard wasn't getting their share of the money. It shouldn't be compared to hired killers like that. It should be compared to selling bootleg DVDs. If Universal Studios started working with bootleggers to get their cut of the money, then all of a sudden it is a legitimate and legal service that the bootleggers are doing.

Show me a link of Blizzard specifically saying buying in-game items legitimately defeats the integrity of the game, before I believe it. Even then, buying in-game items with real money is a normal thing for PC games these days. I've been doing it since 2007. If Blizzard allegedly feared selling in-game items for money would defeat the integrity of the game, they were wrong, because it works in many free-to-play online games.
Edited by Bloodthroe#1351 on 11/20/2012 11:25 PM PST
Reply Quote
One side of an argument always accuses the other side of being a vocal minority. They can never prove it though. Maybe the vocal side is how the majority feels about the game.
Reply Quote
View profile
11/20/2012 11:24 PMPosted by Bloodthroe
If Blizzard allegedly feared selling in-game items for money would defeat the integrity of the game, they were wrong, because it works in many free-to-play online games.

It does not 'work' unless you mean pay to win (PtW)

I assume you think that Olympic Gold should be one by those with the biggest wallets rather than the greatest skill.

There really is no point playing a PtW game. It is not a game.
Reply Quote
The vocal minority of the diablo 2 community has become the vocal majority in the diablo 3 community. Most topics on these forums are talking about how bad the game is, how broken the game is, how greedy Blizzard is, etc.

People who cry about RMAH stating that it shows how greedy Blizzard is to condone buying in game items seriously missed the point. These people either never played Diablo 2 or were living under a rock for 10+ years and didn't realize the buying/selling of blizzards intellectual property on 100s of different sites was a very big issue. D2anya? d2power? etc etc. Not to mention, a lot of people would get scammed by said sites. Blizzard's solution? Cut out the inevitable sale of their own property by third parties by allowing players to sell in game while taking a small cut off of every sale. Sounds absolutely reasonable to me. Not something to raise hell about.

Whatever blizzard does to this game is wrong. Literally every change has met criticism. I see people whining about AH flipping which is HILARIOUS because that's never been an issue (nor should it be) in any game that's utilized an AH. Now that the legendaries are actually worth a damn 'wtf now the game is broken'. People are constantly complaining about duping and bots saying that Blizzard doesn't care, when in actuality botting and duping is a huge problem in most mulitplayer games ESPECIALLY popular games. The reason why botting is so prevelant now a days is that a lot of people have realized how lucrative it is and there are literally 20+ man outfits now with rooms full of computers botting. Does this concern Blizzard? Of course it does, they don't have to come out and say it every time someone new wants to say otherwise.

I really just feel like these players are so fed up with their lives that they need something to be critical of. The game is not that bad, i'd actually say it's better than classic D2. If you are just going to whine about every little thing at least make it constructive; offer a solution maybe? Just spewing crap out of your mouth does nothing but make you an annoying 12 year old that no one wants to deal with, and if the game is really that bad that it makes you nerdrage soooo hard, you should probably just use some common sense and stop playing the game.

I don't have any issues with the RMAH.

I do hate the fact that drops were calibrated around the auction houses. It forces them to be a very big part of the game, instead of killing baddies.
That's why I feel Blizzard to be greedy : they do everything with the AHs in mind, so that items keep their value and they keep getting their share of the pie.
Reply Quote
11/20/2012 11:00 PMPosted by Blashyrkh

Is this acceptable, in your honest opinion? I mean, a sequel that's barely "better" (and that's very debatable) than the original release of it's 10+ year old predecessor?

Aside from that, the main flaw this game has imho is that loot itself is designed around the auction house. Unless you play only with self found items (very gratifying, i've heard, although your character will blow), you will always find yourself looking for upgrades in the auction house, simply because the loot system is so damn frustrating, that it leads you to it.

This kind of thing didn't happen in D2, where you found awesome mid-level loot that was perfectly viable for high level gameplay. The truly high-end gear was naturally hard to obtain, but what you could find on your own was simply so damn awesome that you could enjoy the game for years without having to resource to third party sites.This made the whole experience extremely rewarding, and it's precisely what D3 lacks, due to Blizzard willing to prey on people's frustration to make an easy buck with the auction house, something obscenely !@#$ed up, imo. Setting an auction house is ok, designing the loot system to revolve around it's usage is not, specially when real money is thrown into the mix. The RMAH being there to "protect" players from third party sites is a pretty story and all, but you have to be completely blind to not see it's true purpose. Otherwise, nobody would ever complain about the loot system sucking so bad as it does.

D3 lacks that feeling D2 had after a lot of polishing. Why the heck should such an anticipated sequel go back to barely "better" (again, debatable) than the original release of it's old prececessor? It doesn't make sense, and it is, i believe, the main reason why D3 has been such a disappointment for many people. The game is ok, but it definitely does not deserve the Diablo name. Heck, the only clear upgrade in this game is the graphics engine, and perhaps a few mechanics (healthglobes to minimize downtime, or the various class resource systems, for instance). That shouldn't happen to a franchise like Diablo. The game should be lightyears away from the masterpiece D2 is, but it failed to accomplish that objective.

Amen.
Reply Quote
11/20/2012 11:00 PMPosted by Blashyrkh

Awesome post.
Reply Quote
i think jay wilson is a total doushe :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]