Diablo® III

Expansion new class?

02/22/2013 07:03 PMPosted by Starblazer
Preacher.

The preacher could preach fire and brimstone, and roast his enemies with his sermons!

Yes.

He would speak the word of truth and call the demons by there true names, for he knows them. they lived with him once. he is a man seeking redemption. In his furious wrath he would control them, possess them turn them on their own.

He would lift the spirits of the weak with songs of hope and wisdom, granting life, vigor and crit to his allies.

He would bring the word of love and temperance to darkest hearts of men and have them know the Glory of the Light. For with the psalms in is left hand he will seek out sin and burn it from the world
Reply Quote
Ryan I like where you are going, a being that instead of control nature or animals; can control demons or call upon them. Of course someone will say that the Necro summons the dead, but I am not talking about the dead. Say once you have killed a demon in the game, you get control of them during the next act.....
Edited by Fathertime#1788 on 2/23/2013 7:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/23/2013 07:25 PMPosted by Fathertime
Ryan I like where you are going, a being that instead of control nature or animals; can control demons or call upon them. Of course someone will say that the Necro summons the dead, but I am not talking about the dead. Say once you have killed a demon in the game, you get control of them during the next act.....

Technically speaking, the demon summoning class has already been done ... in Diablo 1. The sorcerer in D1 is one of the Vizjerei, and although he doesn't summon demons, it is very probable that he was able to do that. Then again, he might have been one of the Vizjerei that realized that they were being tricked into summoning demons (which they originally thought were spirits), and his mission in D1 was to rectify the problem. Originally, it was Horazon that realized that they were being tricked into summoning demons, and he fought against Bartuc, who had no problem with summoning demons and might have known about it all along. Horazon was ultimately killed, and the D1 Vizjerei was corrupted by Diablo. He returned to Horazon's sanctuary and impersonated him - claiming his power as his own.

If there is to be a demon summoning class, then I'd recommend an "old school" Vizjerei mage as one of the new classes. Demon-summoning was their specialty. Then again, the ones that willingly summoned demons and knew what they were doing were evil, so a D3 Vizjerei mage would use enslaved demons to fight against other demons. This would make them good demon summoners (technically), since they'd be using demons to fight other demons. I'm not sure if this would be a good idea, or if it would really fit.
Reply Quote
A second class that utilizes str as a main stat...

Str/int
str/ dex
int/dex
int/str
Reply Quote
02/21/2013 02:00 PMPosted by Starblazer
A gladiator would be interesting. Instead of being enslaved blood-sport warriors like the ancient Roman gladiators, they could be convicted criminals given the option of military service to gain their freedom. Of course, their military service would be far more dangerous than that of the standard soldier. Maybe they could be like Tychus in Starcraft 2, where they would be forced to wear an amulet (instead of a marine suit) that is magically bound to their neck and cannot be removed. If they refuse to perform the functions that are expected of them, the amulet would choke them to death. For this reason, gladiators would be unable to equip amulets that are found in the game, but instead, their "slave amulets" would grant them certain advantages at different levels. For example, each level that they gain, the amulet would grant them so many attribute points, or boosts to different skills.

this is even more unlikely than an inteligence-strenght hybrid class. it's basically a class that has 1 less slot to worry about. also the roman thing doesn't seem to fit Sanctuary, although a different style could fit well.
Reply Quote
Mith, it just wouldn't make sense for druids to be pure strength based. Their elemental magics and summoning skills are completely magical. Lifting weights and developing strength wouldn't help you cast 'blizzard'. Since wisdom doesn't exist in D3, intelligence is the next best thing. Granted, there is a physical nature to much of their magic, and their bodily strength would probably translate into greater strength in their alternate shapeshifted forms. However, the act of transformation is a magical one. Making an argument for their elemental and summoning abilities to be facilitated by overall bodily strength is possible, but they could never be fully strength based. For example, maybe you could say that a druid's overall fitness makes their magics stronger. Maybe it takes a strong body to harness the powers of nature. At most, druids would be half strength and half intelligence (which could technically include wisdom). Also, the druid has already been done, and they already have one repeat class - the barbarian. The strength-based class will probably be a warrior of some sort. A knight, gladiator, etc.

Your infernalist idea: I realize that the DH and WD don't summon demons, but the themes are still close enough, just as the WD is very similar to a necromancer. The DH's shadow beasts are probably just ghosts or inter-dimensional beings. It is said that the DH uses the demons' power against them, and that would pretty much be what an infernalist would do. A summoning mage of some sort would be good (a conjurer?), but they shouldn't be summoning demons or other dark creatures. On a side note, someone that summons demons would probably need to be evil in order to have that sort of power.

I probably should have said before, but ok, I say now. this is Diablo 3, made by blizzard. with that in mind, do you really think they would do a hybrid class that uses strenght for some spells and inteligence for others? I do agree it makes more sense that pure strenght or pure inteligence, but since I dont believe such thing would be even considered by devs I didn't suggest. instead, I provided a reason why druids could be strenght based alone. if they are made almost pure shapeshifters, the strenght of the human form would logically be the determinant of the strenght of the alternate forms, and his skills would be more related with bestial tactics (like ways of biting and clawing) than elemental stuff and summons. the few really spell-like things that he might have could have a mood of "I'm tapping my own body energy to cast X", justifying th use of strenght, even for a spell.

also, the monk uses dexterity to heal, making even less sense, and I don't see complaints, so... do I really need to say anything else about this?

and about the infernalist, we will have to agree in disagreeing. I just don't feel the WD is too close to the idea of a demon summoner, and the DH just doesn't feel "demon-themed" at all to me. I do agree he would need to be evil, and that's a real problem, but I think they could solve it with an interesting story for the character (though I won't risk suggesting anything).
Reply Quote
I kinda want to see a "warrior of the light" character. doesnt have to be paladin... but you know... thats what a paladin is.

all the characters in D3 are kinda dark,
The barb is just a mass of muscle ready to turn demons into pudding.
The Wiz is either a snotty female or kinda sinister male that are drove a little crazy it seems sometimes by the power they posses.
The demon hunter is just pissed off all the time
The WD isnt really a angry character but the magic and voodoo they use would discust a paladin order.
The monk is probably the closest to the "holy warrior" im thinking but is still kinda driven by its strength and expertise to fulfill its task(honestly i havnt done much with monk so correct me if im wrong) but they seem more bent on proving themselves then being there for "good".

A warrior of the light would be there for one purpose. To destroy evil. not a selfish quest for strength or power. not a bad attitude or a boring personality. But someone who is there to use their holy magic and might to help the others, but whos ultimate goal is to fight darkness until his/her end.
Reply Quote
I probably should have said before, but ok, I say now. this is Diablo 3, made by blizzard. with that in mind, do you really think they would do a hybrid class that uses strenght for some spells and inteligence for others? I do agree it makes more sense that pure strenght or pure inteligence, but since I dont believe such thing would be even considered by devs I didn't suggest. instead, I provided a reason why druids could be strenght based alone. if they are made almost pure shapeshifters, the strenght of the human form would logically be the determinant of the strenght of the alternate forms, and his skills would be more related with bestial tactics (like ways of biting and clawing) than elemental stuff and summons. the few really spell-like things that he might have could have a mood of "I'm tapping my own body energy to cast X", justifying th use of strenght, even for a spell.

Also, the monk uses dexterity to heal, making even less sense, and I don't see complaints, so... do I really need to say anything else about this?

and about the infernalist, we will have to agree in disagreeing. I just don't feel the WD is too close to the idea of a demon summoner, and the DH just doesn't feel "demon-themed" at all to me. I do agree he would need to be evil, and that's a real problem, but I think they could solve it with an interesting story for the character (though I won't risk suggesting anything).

The monks don't use dexterity to heal; they use spirit to heal, and the number of hit points that they heal is independent of dexterity - it's a set amount. I wasn't talking about a split hybrid class that uses intelligence for some skills and strength for others. What I meant is that all of the druids abilities would be 50/50 int and str. Both body and mind would be important when it comes to both shapeshifting and harnessing the power of nature. Also, a pure shapeshifting druid would essentially be *half a druid*. It would be like having a necromancer that could only summon, and not use poison and bone spells or curses. Why should the expansion game include a character that's only half of a character from an old game? It just wouldn't fit. Druids are more than shapeshifters - they are wielders of elemental and nature magic, the stewards of nature, and can summon beasts.

As for the demon-summoning class, it's possible I suppose. They would probably need to be evil, and it's possible that an evil character would want to defeat the overlords of Hell simply because they don't want to be enslaved and/or annihilated by them.
Edited by Starblazer#1223 on 2/28/2013 1:39 PM PST
Reply Quote
I forgot to mention something. Mith, if all you want is a pure shapeshifter, then why not forget druids and just have a werewolf class? For druids that can only shapeshift (as if they flunked out of their elemental magic and summoning classes), there would be no point for them to ever be in their human form. With that in mind, it would make more sense to just have a werewolf.
Reply Quote
i would like a vitality type hero with an enormous shield. :D he's motto "defense is a great offense." xD

but im serious, i would love to see a character with a massive shield killing demons.

and another one is an intelligent type melee hero that has the power to control time and space or he has the power of both light and darkness. :D
Reply Quote
The monks don't use dexterity to heal; they use spirit to heal, and the number of hit points that they heal is independent of dexterity - it's a set amount. I wasn't talking about a split hybrid class that uses intelligence for some skills and strength for others. What I meant is that all of the druids abilities would be 50/50 int and str. Both body and mind would be important when it comes to both shapeshifting and harnessing the power of nature. Also, a pure shapeshifting druid would essentially be *half a druid*. It would be like having a necromancer that could only summon, and not use poison and bone spells or curses. Why should the expansion game include a character that's only half of a character from an old game? It just wouldn't fit. Druids are more than shapeshifters - they are wielders of elemental and nature magic, the stewards of nature, and can summon beasts.

my mistake, the healing is a fixed ammount, that was a poor example. but they do use dexterity for things like Wave of Light, how does that make any sense at all? my point stands: if one class can use dexterity to "channel the power of his gods" (monk), than another can use strenght to "channel the power of nature" (druid). none makes much sense, but since the first makes enough to exist, why not the second...

I didn't say I want a PURE shapeshifter, I said that an ALMOST pure shapeshifter could make sense using only strenght and not intelligence. He CAN have a few other stuff, they would just need to have the appropriate "mood" (I've described above), and would need to be FEW (like 4 spells, all in one category of skills) to show he is somehow specialized. even the name of the class didn't need to be "druid", could be "shapeshifter", or something in this line. also a werewolf wouldn't make any sense, we all play human characters, and the idea of a shapeshifter is having MULTIPLE shapes, not only one.

by "all of the druids abilities would be 50/50 int and str" I understand that you mean: all druids abilities will receive +0,5% damage for each point of strenght AND +0,5% for each point of intelligence. if I understood this right, this is just as unlikely as spliting skills between str and int. in such a system every druid would need 1 stat more than every other class, and receive no special bonus for the extra difficulty in gearing.
Reply Quote
my mistake, the healing is a fixed ammount, that was a poor example. but they do use dexterity for things like Wave of Light, how does that make any sense at all? my point stands: if one class can use dexterity to "channel the power of his gods" (monk), than another can use strenght to "channel the power of nature" (druid). none makes much sense, but since the first makes enough to exist, why not the second...

I didn't say I want a PURE shapeshifter, I said that an ALMOST pure shapeshifter could make sense using only strenght and not intelligence. He CAN have a few other stuff, they would just need to have the appropriate "mood" (I've described above), and would need to be FEW (like 4 spells, all in one category of skills) to show he is somehow specialized. even the name of the class didn't need to be "druid", could be "shapeshifter", or something in this line. also a werewolf wouldn't make any sense, we all play human characters, and the idea of a shapeshifter is having MULTIPLE shapes, not only one.

by "all of the druids abilities would be 50/50 int and str" I understand that you mean: all druids abilities will receive +0,5% damage for each point of strenght AND +0,5% for each point of intelligence. if I understood this right, this is just as unlikely as spliting skills between str and int. in such a system every druid would need 1 stat more than every other class, and receive no special bonus for the extra difficulty in gearing.

There is a class specifically called "shapeshifter" in Dungeons & Dragons:
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/D%26D_Wiki:Shapeshifter_%283.5e_Prestige_Class%29
Constitution is the key component of shapeshifters, and intelligence is not important since shapeshifting is not learned, but is a natural ability. It could just as easily be strength that is the core attribute.

I see your point about the wave of light for the monks, but it is technically a martial arts move, and the magic is rooted in the physical technique, so the power source is spirit, but the amount of damage is based on dexterity, since greater speed yields a better technique.
Reply Quote
There could of been some cultist go rogue because of the fall of diablo. Adria wasn't too liked by the cultist even though she went bad at the end. Soo she's obviously the boss in the expansion, her and some sort of version of a dead cain. Since it never showed him in heaven.
Reply Quote
There is a class specifically called "shapeshifter" in Dungeons & Dragons:
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/D%26D_Wiki:Shapeshifter_%283.5e_Prestige_Class%29
Constitution is the key component of shapeshifters, and intelligence is not important since shapeshifting is not learned, but is a natural ability. It could just as easily be strength that is the core attribute.

it's good to know someone else here ever played a book RPG! and even better is seeing that the discussion resulted in something concrete for a change. this shapeshifter is perfectly plausible, and possible to be created without hurting the "class standards" that Diablo has.
Reply Quote
Shapeshifter
Javelin thrower

Btw don't bring up any demonic or angelic classes. This game is about nephalems not demons or angels.
Reply Quote
A Mohican Indian! (The last one!)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]