Diablo® III

BANS, Please bump!

Cheers for the info and replies, I'm sure alot appreciate the read. Guess for now I'll change mine to 123 - 1 button and spam it on the mouse, no loop.
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
LOL droth.

You misunderstand the purpose of the EULA/TOS (and not just blizz's TOS).

The purpose of the EULA (any EULA) is to make EVERYTHING a potential violation, even when it isn't.

No, the purpose of the EULA is to protect the company from fraudulent consumer actions.

Not so they can just ban you whenever you want... (Which the EULA states anyway FYI)
View profile
11/18/2012 08:35 PMPosted by Aphraell
Cheers for the info and replies, I'm sure alot appreciate the read. Guess for now I'll change mine to 123 - 1 button and spam it on the mouse, no loop.

Just buy the mouse aph. Obvious to me it's about selling their macro not someone elses.
Reply Quote
Hey droth,

I realize your personal knowledge is that time-delayed macros will definately result in banning. You seem to be applying this logic in your last reply with respect to "looped" macros.

On razer mice, macros have the option to play continuously as long as the button is pressed.

So lets say a player has the following macro:

1. Execute "1,2,3" one time per button press -- is this by itself okay, or is this gray area?

It's not a time delayed macro. However, I assume even this is potential trouble, as there has never been explicit allowance of one key = multiple key strokes. Really the whole time delayed point you make doesn't tell us what's safe, just what's definately bannable.

2. Let's go a step further, and say a player has the option selected for "continuous play" as long as key is pressed.

I guess the macro is "looped" as this point, even if its looping depends on a human holding down a key. I don't beleive this can be called a time-delayed macro though. And I'm curious for your reason / confidence for saying #2 is bannable / automation. To me it sounded like you were saying in the beginning these types of macros were still gray area, because they didn't use time delays
Edited by RageQuit#1835 on 11/18/2012 8:53 PM PST
Reply Quote
11/18/2012 08:38 PMPosted by Aimless

Just buy the mouse aph. Obvious to me it's about selling their macro not someone elses.

They couldn't allow macro's on their mouse and not others. Other Manufactorers would be up in arms over that. Its either all or none.

@Ragequit - good question.
Reply Quote
View profile
they do man read it all
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x316/fatyblob/DiabloSteelSeriesMouse.png
Reply Quote
they do man read it all

To me that just shows that they allow macros. Doesn't mean you're allowed to loop them or in no way does it mean that other macro devices would not be allowed.

As long as you're not looping it.
Reply Quote
Perhaps because the D3 mouse is an "officially licensed" product, while every other manufacturers isn't?
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
To me it sounded like you were saying in the beginning these types of macros were still gray area, because they didn't use time delays

They are in the gray area. I also do not speak officially for Blizzard.

All I am doing is giving you MY interpretation of the word "automation" and that's about all I can do.

However, with that being said, some actions are CLEARLY defined as automation. These actions are those that create multiple NON-SIMULTANEOUS Keystrokes.

For example. Pressing 1, then 2, then 3. Actions that are in the gray area are those such as pressing 1, 2, and 3 at the same time.

I won't comment on it any further as I have no ambition to argue semantics. Just take away that you can be banned for whatever BLIZZARD interprets as automation of gameplay. If your actions can be construed in any way shape or form as automation, I would advise against them.

However, as Omrakos stated, they really don't have the capability to detect them anyway. However, if Blizzard did however detect them, they could be actionable offenses.

Since Automation is open for interpretation, you will likely never get an official response from Blizzard other than do not create macros that execute more than one command per click / keystroke. Any other macro that doesn't do this is still up for interpretation. But those macros that do in fact violate this rule are clearly breaking the EULA.

If the whole discussion is about whether or not someone should buy the mouse, it is one of the most durable on the market capable of withstanding more than 10,000,000 clicks. That's about 3 times as much as a normal gaming mouse.

The only point is you will likely never get a clear cut answer from Blizzard on the issue as the EULA is written broadly enough to cover any form of automation. Whether it be scripts, or macros.

I apologize that I cannot be of further assistance. Use Macros at your own risk.
View profile
they do man read it all

To me that just shows that they allow macros. Doesn't mean you're allowed to loop them or in no way does it mean that other macro devices would not be allowed.

As long as you're not looping it.

There are KBs that loop just holding buttons down. up to 6 keys on some any number of keys on others with no software. Usually every 100ms which is plenty fast for cm... I'd go to frys and test em out if you don't want to use d3 mouse or third party macro program. Also on the advanced tab is where you loop.
Edited by Aimless#1700 on 11/18/2012 9:18 PM PST
Reply Quote
There are KBs that loop just holding buttons down. up to 6 keys on some any number of keys on others with no software. Usually every 100ms which is plenty fast for cm... I'd go to frys and test em out if you don't want to use d3 mouse or third party macro program. Also on the advanced tab is where you loop.

Thats not really looping. Thats just turbo keys. Been around forever. Press and hold 1 = Send 1 every 100ms indefinitely. Thats most certainly not a macro or automation in any sense of the word.
Reply Quote
At risk of going off topic:

No, the purpose of the EULA is to protect the company from fraudulent consumer actions.

Bull. I work in the industry. EULAs exist because they provide vendors infinite litigation leverage over their customers should the need ever arise.

Agree to EULAs at your own risk.

Fixed it for you.
Edited by nyet#1878 on 11/18/2012 9:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
Thats not really looping. Thats just turbo keys. Been around forever. Press and hold 1 = Send 1 every 100ms indefinitely. Thats most certainly not a macro or automation in any sense of the word.

I have just received clarification that this is in fact considered automation.

Macros in any form are against the rules. You may certainly use the extra buttons to map single keystrokes, but you cannot use looping or time delays.

I have also received clarification that you will not be banned for simply having the device or using the drivers. Only if you use them to automate gameplay.

I also apologize that I cannot give you a source as it is not in a medium that's viewable by the public. As such, I have politely asked that something be provided. In the event that this information is provided publicly I will gladly share a link.

Final rule. One action per keystroke. No exceptions. (This includes looping or "turbo keys")
Thanks for chasing that up Droth and requesting for an official response.
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
11/20/2012 08:18 PMPosted by Aphraell

My pleasure.

I really wish I could share the source publicly but I can't. >.<

Bottom line though, "looping" is in fact Automation in Blizzard's eyes.

As for binding multiple keys to one button, I will try and get an answer for that as well. I'm starting to lean towards no macros in any form are allowed under any circumstance. This may include shift modified keys.
I really hope that they grant some leeway to the people using as there is alot. But your response should be warning enough that if you do it from now.....

Well you asking for trouble.
Reply Quote
View profile
I appreciate Droth following up so definitivly but its seems like a scumbag move for blizz to sell a mouse with d3 interface, with instructions on setting up macros for d3 and then not allow them. I will continue to use mouse as advertized and if i'm banned so be it u lost a customer for life - keep your botters and dupers who really pay the bills i guess.
Reply Quote
11/20/2012 08:28 PMPosted by Drothvader
As for binding multiple keys to one button, I will try and get an answer for that as well. I'm starting to lean towards no macros in any form are allowed under any circumstance. This may include shift modified keys.

i really hope it's okay to just bind multiple keys to a single button, it's not really automation anyway...
Reply Quote
11/20/2012 08:28 PMPosted by Drothvader

My pleasure.

I really wish I could share the source publicly but I can't. >.<

Bottom line though, "looping" is in fact Automation in Blizzard's eyes.

If "looping" is considered as automated, then holding down your mouse button and have it continuously casting spell is ban-able...

I'll await your answer on the multiple keys to one button...

Thanks
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
11/20/2012 10:02 PMPosted by WNxNiteHawk
If "looping" is considered as automated, then holding down your mouse button and have it continuously casting spell is ban-able...

No?

If a spell is channeled you most certainly can hold down the button to prolong the cast.

For example, Ray of Frost and Disintegrate.

However, you can't for instance make a macro spam Teleport every 100ms to gain the full benefit of Wormhole.

You may also hold down your mouse instead of repeatedly clicking on an object to attack it. Those are all functions that are supported in game.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]