Diablo® III

Question on LS - it's now mandatory?

Hey there fellow Monkiez,

As most monks are aware, reflect affix is a big prob and it appears that having LS in your weapon(s) is the go but is it the ONLY way?

I currently do not have any LS; only LOH. I also dw and would love not having to change BOTH my weapons... maybe just one. I found it IMPOSSIBLE to not die whilst dealing with reflect in my current form.

So the question is: Do I need to change BOTH weapons to LS... or can one weapon with 2.7 LS + approx 1000 LOH enough? Is there something that I've overlooked? When I deal with reflect, I don't simply go in and face-tank... I try to separate them and attack without SW... to try and reduce reflect dmg, but to no avail. It still kills me mega quick.

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks in advance
Happy Hunting
Reply Quote
Not sure how you feel about LPSS, but I don't think it would be a bad addition to your loh to help alleviate incoming damage from rd mobs. Innas helms with 50-60 aren't that expensive and you could always swap out BOY for transcendence. Just all depends on what mp you farm and how much you are willing to adjust your gear/build.
Reply Quote
If you're using Thunderclap, your LoH is huge because:

1. Its proc rate is 75%.
2. It double-hits your primary target for the first and second attacks.
3. It hits your primary target again (once) for the third (AOE) attack.
4. It procs once on every other target in range for all three attacks.
5. It has a hidden haste modifier of a little better than 1.5.

IOW, with an attack speed of 1.00 and 1K LoH, you can expect to do 1,875 LPS:

1,000 LoH
x (0.75 x 2 + 0.75 x 2 + 0.75) for procs and hits
/ 3 (3-attack cycle)
x 1.5 (haste)
= 1,875

Therefore, at a 2.0 attack speed--I'm talking about your in-game attack speed, not counting the haste modifier--it will do an effective 3,750 LPS against a single target, and an extra 2,250 LPS for every other mob you catch in the AOE.

Very, very underrated. To adjust Fitz's point of comparison, a 2.5% LS for a real DPS of 800K is actually 0.5% in Inferno, which means it's 4K, not 3K. So it's better than 1K LoH at 2.0 APS, but not by much.
Reply Quote
If this helps check my build, by going DW with no sustain on off hand i can handle MP3 with no problems but MP4 is almost unplayable, forget MP5. DPS on DW was only around 105k DPS. LS of course increase as your DPS goes up so it is a solid investment. Just me but to be happy in MP4 and above i would need LS on both weapons.
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile

1. Its proc rate is 75%.

1,000 LoH
/ 3 (3-attack cycle)
x 1.5 (haste)
= 1,875

Therefore, at a 2.0 attack speed--I'm talking about your in-game attack speed, not counting the haste modifier--it will do an effective 3,750 LPS against a single target, and an extra 2,250 LPS for every other mob you catch in the AOE.

Very, very underrated. To adjust Fitz's point of comparison, a 2.5% LS for a real DPS of 800K is actually 0.5% in Inferno, which means it's 4K, not 3K. So it's better than 1K LoH at 2.0 APS, but not by much.

This man is 100% correct.

As long as you are using FoT:TC (and you should be) LoH is fantastic.
Reply Quote
I have no LS on both of my weapons too..
I have 1k LOH + 1K Life Regen.
usually casual farming at Mp4 to MP6 (sometime mp7-8 uber/key group farm); not all of the RD packs give me problem, some RD packs don't reflect as much as what i think, some RD packs come with ground effect would be harder...

sometime i will switch my MH to another weapon with 2.9% LS and it works fine..
just my experience..
Reply Quote
at first i was thinking LS mandatory both hand, then i switched one hand (thanks to nerull) to 800+ LoH and it was fantastic. Let me survive MP10 ubers...

i think 3% LS 1000LoH with 2.2 aps is great survival
Reply Quote
at first i was thinking LS mandatory both hand, then i switched one hand (thanks to nerull) to 800+ LoH and it was fantastic. Let me survive MP10 ubers...

Now i am totally confused, i had just convinced myself i needed LS on both weapons and was even going to try for LPSS on off hand as well as LS and you come along and say that .
Back to the drawing board.
Reply Quote

Now i am totally confused, i had just convinced myself i needed LS on both weapons and was even going to try for LPSS on off hand as well as LS and you come along and say that .
Back to the drawing board.

i am sure you will pick up some sweet weapon along your farming way.. just put it on your off hand and try it in game (or at high mp) and experience how much LS is really 'enough' for you?

i am sure everyone has different story to tell... :)
Reply Quote
11/19/2012 01:27 AMPosted by Edmericanpie
i am sure everyone has different story to tell... :)

Yeah so true, saying i use is "horses for courses" , basically means what you said. Every situation has a different solution.
Reply Quote
The source is firsthand testing, plus posts by several other authors. Here's how Thunderclap's three-attack cycle works:
  • First attack: Hits target once for 110% weapon damage; also hits target and all mobs within 6 yards for 35% weapon damage.
  • Second attack: Same as the first.
  • Third attack: Hits every mob in your front arc for a straight 145% damage. The AOE is bigger than the AOE for the first two attacks.

Every one of these attacks procs at a 75% rate, so a weapon with 300 LoH wil give 225 LoH for each hit. If you want to test this yourself, give yourself one LoH weapon, take off all your LpS gear, set MP to 10, go to the start of Act 1, and walk down the road to where the Risen are. They're great targets because (1) they don't swing often enough to kill you during testing and (2) there aren't many of them, so you can test for quite a while.

Oh, you'll need to go to Options --> Gameplay and turn on healing numbers and damage numbers. Criticals, too, if you want them.
Reply Quote
You've over looked LPSS. Check out my profile.
Reply Quote
View profile
farming MP5 easy mode with no LS or LOH here... profile currently not showing my best set-up, but i usually have 4300 life per second. did MP9 ubers the other night with help of higher DPS friend, but no deaths - not even close.
Reply Quote
I've been using 5.9% LS, zero LoH at 140k DPS (with Blazing Wrath). Farming MP3-4 really well. Uber MP5 also very doable.

Still wondering if I should change one LS weapon into a 650+ LoH...
Reply Quote

1. Its proc rate is 75%.

1,000 LoH
/ 3 (3-attack cycle)
x 1.5 (haste)
= 1,875

I ditched all my loh =/. Might have to pick up a new ammy.
Reply Quote
@Vrkhyz

Thanks for the info. I guess the tooltip for FoT is way, way off from reality, as per the norm it seems with d3.

Great info. Thanks for that.

You're welcome. If you read the tooltips a certain way, you can stretch the text until it fits what happens in the game. It's not intuitive, though.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/monk/active/fists-of-thunder
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]