Diablo® III

Creating a monk today, help? EDIT: done-rate!

So Im getting my monk to 60 today and gearing him right after. I know to stack ar and one other resist (cold maybe?) and obviously dex/cc too. What other things should I be looking for? Like loh vs ls and is ias very important to monks? If someone could help me out that be great :) Need to use the Thanksgiving holidays to the fullest haha.

EDIT: Finished gearing! see below!
Edited by Vulindlela#1880 on 11/20/2012 4:17 PM PST
Reply Quote
Bump, want to do this today! Also, dual wield vs skorn?
Reply Quote
Read: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7005435884?page=1
And: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7005435708?page=1
Reply Quote
YMMV with dual wield vs Skorn. Some people (like me) hate the slow speed of going Skorn. Others really enjoy the hard hitting / High DPS nature of the build and I hear that if you really load up on attack speed (+40% or so) it's not so slow and a lot of people like it. Try both 2H and DW as you level and see what you like.

Personally, I'd go with dual wield because it's just more fun for me. My fun seems to be proportional to the numer of tornadoes on the screen.

What sort of budget will you be working with?
Reply Quote
run LoH untill you get over 70k dps then switch to LS. (if youre DW) otherwise use LS.

also to run higher MP levels its nice to have some LPS or LPSS

if your a budget monk id recommend a shield.

and due to upcoming changes id vote on making him a rainbow monk.
Reply Quote
@Piffle

I just read them and holy crap that is helpful, why are these not stickied?!

Also, you are awesome Piffle :D

@Demiwraith

My budget is flexible, max I think would be 50m-I'd like to hit 100k dps which I think should be (hopefully) possible. Yea I think dual wield would work better for me, more action :D

@H00K

Im hoping to go straight to 100k dps and skip the loh then :) What upcoming changes and what the heck is a rainbow monk!?
Reply Quote
If you want future proof, go Resist all instead of Double stacking resist as we know that nerf is coming. Rainbow is RA + different resist on every piece of armor, basically what every other char does in D3 except monks.
Reply Quote
11/19/2012 10:43 AMPosted by Vulindlela
My budget is flexible, max I think would be 50m-I'd like to hit 100k dps which I think should be (hopefully) possible. Yea I think dual wield would work better for me, more action :D

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7179258466#5
Reply Quote
11/19/2012 10:52 AMPosted by Matajugador
If you want future proof, go Resist all instead of Double stacking resist as we know that nerf is coming. Rainbow is RA + different resist on every piece of armor, basically what every other char does in D3 except monks.

Hm, so do we know when the nerf will hit? As in is now a bad time to gear a monk?
Reply Quote
Where's the official announcement on changes to OWE?
Reply Quote
no we have no idea when or if they even will change it. All they said is that they are going to give monks "more fun" passives and that they dont like how OWE is used by every monk.

Like Mata said rainbow monk is Ar + random resists, the main reason im suggestion rainbow monk is that it will open up another passive slot for you.
Reply Quote
Everyone uses OWE because other passive suck in place of it. Literally makes no sense to nerf OWE and buff the others. People will naturally drop OWE if other passives are buffed to the point that they are viable replacements.
Reply Quote
no we have no idea when or if they even will change it. All they said is that they are going to give monks "more fun" passives and that they dont like how OWE is used by every monk.

Like Mata said rainbow monk is Ar + random resists, the main reason im suggestion rainbow monk is that it will open up another passive slot for you.

Oh, gotcha. I think I'll still stack ar + one other and use the passive simply because I think it'll be cheaper. Im building the monk and then giving all the gear to a friend-he doesn't get to play much and so needs a little help.
Reply Quote
Ok, so i finished lvling and gearing my monk last night! Final total is 21.5mil for everything! Well, I already had the gems, the mainhand sword (not the best but beats buying a new one for now!), and the crap main hand ring. The main expense was the echoing fury which I bought for 12mil, which I might have overpaid for but oh well, I didn't want to wait xD

Resists are 650 exactly
Armor is 4565
Health is 32.6k
Unbuffed dps is 75.2k
Buffed with Blazing Wrath is 86.4k
CC is 39% (main hand ring needs replaced)
CD is 309%
Attacks per second 1.93/2.19
2.5% ls

Soo how did I do? Any recommendations? Thanks!
Reply Quote
welcome to the Order, young one.
may the gods guide your path. ;)
Reply Quote

Why thank you :)

Anyone have any input?
Reply Quote

Why thank you :)

Anyone have any input?

I agree with your assessment that you are probably going to want to replace your MH and MH ring at some point.

I do think it's interesting that some pieces make it seem like you were going for a set that doesn't require OwE (amulet and gloves), while others have 2x resist.
Reply Quote
Man, for 21.5M this is impressive (especially with over half the cost for your weapon, which I agree you may have overpaid for). There are probably a host of incremental upgrades you can make, but who doesn't? If you wanted to refine some things more, I'd probably go with what Piffle says about the MH ring and MH weapon.

My first priority when it comes to jewellery is typically +ChC, then +average damage. IAS and ChD come next but it depends on your gear and which does more to DPS. Dex is always required too. Personally, I like IAS because it has a lot more going for it -- not just DPS, but increased spirit generation, more cyclones generated because of the attack speed being a couple of the big ones. If you look on my monk, both my rings are virtually identical and pretty efficiently priced, IMO.

Your MH can be upgraded to a rare with similar stats but higher DPS (>850, maybe >900) for a very cheap price (under 1M) (with built-in ChD, dex, OS as minimums).

I can see upgrades everywhere else, but honestly, it's just minor adjustments at this point if you want budget and balance especially if you aren't especially invested in building a monk for yourself as a primary hero.
Edited by Nameless#1537 on 11/21/2012 2:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
very nice! but your life is a little low, id say try getting life% on your shoulders maybe with a little more vit

and then i agree with the two above me, more CC :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]