Diablo® III

Upgrade Gems or Gear?

Hey guys, I just got back into playing d3 last week and hadn't played since the patch that made repairs 6x more expensive (1.0.1? .2?) Anyways I started running MP 0 public and got geared enough to where I can run MP 2 no problem, I just made another upgrade and I'm pretty sure I can do MP 3 now.

Anyways here's the problem. I know I need to upgrade my gems and I know I could use some more vitality (although I haven't had an issue with dying due to low HP thus far) and I could always use more crit hit damage and all resists. The problem is I only have 5 million gold (I farm and buy items with gold, I have never liked paying for game items) and I'm not sure if I should either use that towards upgrading my gems or save up and upgrade the gear.

As it stands right now most of the gear upgrades will cost me millions for a relatively small dps upgrade (maybe 3 mill to go up 3-4k dps). Gems are about the same (a few mill to upgrade a gem that gives me an extra 10% crit damage, which at this rate is about 1.5-2k dps) I just wanted to get some feedback and see what other barbs think (preferably some that haven't been away from the game as long as I have)

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

edit: Thanks guys, I think I have the info I need. If anyone else has any different suggestions by all means post them, but otherwise I should be set (:(|) <- Monkey...if you remember this you win.
Edited by ExCoRiO#1721 on 11/19/2012 8:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
If you look at the price history for gems (http://www.d3rmt.com/auction-house/item/radiant-star-emerald/usgold/) you'll see that prices are at the top of the market right now. It wasn't long ago that radiant star emeralds were 4M gold, now they are over 20M. Will gold sellers distort the prices in future like in the past? I don't know, but you would be gutted to see prices halve in a fortnight and I personally wouldn't be buying gems right now.
Reply Quote
I am pretty sure you can run MP5 at least. I am doing MP5 with my cheap gears.
I think you shoule get the ring first and also a big ruby to level up ASAP.
Reply Quote
OP, good news is you have a pretty solid setup there, and bad news with 5 mil of gold and your current gear level, you ain't going anywhere, your items are not top tier but pretty much balanced and solid (farming perspective, I don't think you want to do high mp lvl ubers at that resist and hp). Anyway, sadly, you have to save up big like 100 mil to blow them on your jeweleries to get more cc / cd, good luck :)
Reply Quote
Upgrade your Gems.

Unless there's a dupe of gems anytime soon your gem prices will still retain value as the cost of making them will not drop.

Gear however will always go down in value unless they're BIS (even BIS drops in value with subsequent patches and new items/rolls) and BIS tends to be extremely overpriced.
Edited by Uberjager#6563 on 11/19/2012 6:02 PM PST
Reply Quote
11/19/2012 05:47 PMPosted by squilibob
I personally wouldn't be buying gems right now.

Yeah there's no way I'd consider buying gems at such an inflated price, I've just been crafting them myself with the gems I've picked up.

I am pretty sure you can run MP5 at least. I am doing MP5 with my cheap gears.
I think you shoule get the ring first and also a big ruby to level up ASAP.

I've decided to try out MP3 and see how it goes. I don't like dying, I can handle a couple of times but more than that and I go back a power level. So far it's not bad.

I got a ring which had 200 strength but sadly the rest of the stats were garbage ( something like 64 vitality, some 40ish dexterity, 20ish intellegence, and maybe some armor. I was disappointed so I haven't tried farming for keys since. I'm probably going to farm some more paragon levels before attempting to get another ring. I'll work on a ruby though, that's a good idea.

11/19/2012 05:58 PMPosted by samuiotoko
OP, good news is you have a pretty solid setup there, and bad news with 5 mil of gold and your current gear level, you ain't going anywhere, your items are not top tier but pretty much balanced and solid (farming perspective, I don't think you want to do high mp lvl ubers at that resist and hp). Anyway, sadly, you have to save up big like 100 mil to blow them on your jeweleries to get more cc / cd, good luck :)

Thanks, I've been really happy with what I've managed to get in the bit I've been back playing. Almost reminds me of my d2 barb. Almost. Yeah there's no way I'd attempt anything higher than 5 and I'm hesitant to go past 3 or 4. I prefer to slaughter demons quickly rather than having to worry about backing out and dying. Yeah that's what I thought :/ At least it's a goal. Thanks.
Reply Quote
Upgrade your Gems.

Unless there's a dupe of gems anytime soon your gem prices will still retain value as the cost of making them will not drop.

Gear however will always go down in value unless they're BIS (even BIS drops in value with subsequent patches and new items/rolls) and BIS tends to be extremely overpriced.

Yeah I've noticed that. Since I've been away the gear I had before practically became garbage and I was able to double my dps simply by buying rares off the AH for 50k a piece. My gems however I am really happy that I had upgraded somewhat back when I did. Now I'm just going to have to save up for it.

If they bring back bring Wolfhowl in all it's glory (as in I can turn into a freaking werewolf) then I will be getting that helm no matter what. Until then it seems like gems it is. Thanks

Also it seems like my barb's gear on my profile hasn't updated yet. At the time I posted this, and now I have 80% gems along with a new offhand that adds an additional 69%.

Unbuffed I do 105k dps and buffed 126.2k. 327.6k in wrath. The only reason I haven't switched to try that other rune.

edit: JUST switched to the extra fury bash, thrive on chaos wrath, and tornado sprint instead of leap and I'm not sure why I hadn't tried it sooner >.<
Edited by ExCoRiO#1721 on 11/19/2012 8:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
Are you guys talking about mp5 inferno or what??? My character with scorn on which I dont have on now the damage is 130,000+ just wondering??? I can play with my shield and a axe and do 65k to 70k damage with my stormshild and get hit less and inferno mp5 is dang hard let me know if you get this or send a friend request.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]