Diablo® III

A newbie question

Can ESC key save HC life when solo? Or mobs still attack your char for 10 sec after paused?
On the other word, can I pause and reboot pc to save char life?
Edited by Neoreturn#1822 on 11/19/2012 11:18 AM PST
Reply Quote
Esc pauses the game in solo (for 20-30 min?), once you hit "exit now" your count down starts and they go back to attacking you (10 seconds is whats shown, its more like 60 seconds though)
Reply Quote
There's a couple of ways it can help

- Floating you through lag spikes (pause through the spike)
- Giving you a bit of time to think and calm down (I think panic-mode has a lot to do with many HC deaths, at least those below 60)

Like geology said, you can't leave it paused too long or the game will drop you.
Reply Quote
11/19/2012 11:09 AMPosted by geology
Esc pauses the game in solo (for 20-30 min?), once you hit "exit now" your count down starts and they go back to attacking you (10 seconds is whats shown, its more like 60 seconds though)

Thanks for reply but didn't Anwser my question.
For example, when my char HP is very low, can I use pause to avoid death?.
Wait 20 mins to diconnect automatically? Any risk here?
Reply Quote
There's a couple of ways it can help

- Floating you through lag spikes (pause through the spike)
- Giving you a bit of time to think and calm down (I think panic-mode has a lot to do with many HC deaths, at least those below 60)

Like geology said, you can't leave it paused too long or the game will drop you.

Will drop kill the char? If not, isnt ESC can save your Hc char all times?
Reply Quote
It's a good question actually.

When you have "lag" there is a communication disruption between your computer and the Blizzard server. As long as communication is lost, the server continues to run the game but you can't see any change that's going on or have any input (your character just stands there and gets beaten, server side). As long as the server hast lost communication with your computer, pressing esc does nothing. But the advantage is that if you press esc as soon as you have lag, the moment your connection is reestablished, the server receives your instruction to pause the game. This is good because many times connection is reestablished for only a fraction of a second and then lost again, so at least you've saved your !@# as long as you're not dead by the time the game technically pauses.
Reply Quote
Yeah but the question is whether you can hit esc to pause in an unwinnable battle and disconnect without the game running for 10 extra seconds there by saving your life.
Reply Quote
It's a good question actually.

When you have "lag" there is a communication disruption between your computer and the Blizzard server. As long as communication is lost, the server continues to run the game but you can't see any change that's going on or have any input (your character just stands there and gets beaten, server side). As long as the server hast lost communication with your computer, pressing esc does nothing. But the advantage is that if you press esc as soon as you have lag, the moment your connection is reestablished, the server receives your instruction to pause the game. This is good because many times connection is reestablished for only a fraction of a second and then lost again, so at least you've saved your !@# as long as you're not dead by the time the game technically pauses.

Let's say no communication issue. When char HP is very low and push ESC key. Reboot pc. What is going to happen?
Reply Quote

You can save yourself temporarily, as long as the game is paused the monsters are also paused. The second you un-pause, action will continue. Exiting the game un-pauses it at the same time. Waiting 20 mins to get disconnected un-pauses your game while it disconnects (you cant see this happening), so you will take damage as the game registers the disconnect.

Rebooting your pc, you will die. Because it is the same as the "exit now" un-pause situation.
Edited by geology#1152 on 11/19/2012 11:23 AM PST
Reply Quote
11/19/2012 11:20 AMPosted by emitnulB
Yeah but the question is whether you can hit esc to pause in an unwinnable battle and disconnect without the game running for 10 extra seconds there by saving your life.

You repeat my question. After pause and disconnect, will sever run another 10 sec on your fighting? Who knows?
Reply Quote
11/19/2012 11:21 AMPosted by Neoreturn
Let's say no communication issue. When char HP is very low and push ESC key. Reboot pc. What is going to happen?

You mean like if you find yourself pinned and death is inevitable, but you just haven't died yet, so you pause the game and just wait 30 minutes?

I've thought about that too, but haven't ever tried. Can someone confirm?
Reply Quote

You can save yourself temporarily, as long as the game is paused the monsters are also paused. The second you un-pause, action will continue. Exiting the game un-pauses it at the same time. Waiting 20 mins to get disconnected un-pauses your game while it disconnects (you cant see this happening), so you will take damage as the game registers the disconnect.

Rebooting your pc, you will die. Because it is the same as the "exit now" un-pause situation.

Ok so you pretty much say pause won't save char life since sever will continue for your battle as soon as you got disconnected. Thx for Anwser.
Reply Quote
Can ESC key save HC life when solo? Or mobs still attack your char for 10 sec after paused?

You seriously never thought Blizzard thought of this lol?

Pausing the game and disconnecting your computer (either pulling the plug or rebooting) does not avoid the 10 second timer. As soon as your computer loses connection the 10 second timer begins. It does not automatically exit, therefore skipping the timer. My god lol...

Well, that s why I am trying to ask and get Anwser clear since I never realized any death in sc mode after pause during fight.
Reply Quote

Esc key can't save you in SOLO because after you press esc or force the PC to shut down. Your hero still in the game for 10seconds or longer.
Reply Quote
View profile
This is why we can't have a nice d/c system =p

Edit: I quoted the wrong part, but trying to figure out loopholes is why Blizzard has decided to make the d/c system like this, unfortunate for those of us who are willing to accept death if we screw up....
Edited by Lykotic#1869 on 11/19/2012 11:42 AM PST
Reply Quote
No it wont.

However you're friend(s) could possibly save you.

So you can invite them and they can try.
Reply Quote
just press escape and wait 30 minutes.
the game will time out eventually and u can remake the game

just realized this
Edited by Jarring#1492 on 11/19/2012 11:51 AM PST
Reply Quote
11/19/2012 11:26 AMPosted by KEHMP

You mean like if you find yourself pinned and death is inevitable, but you just haven't died yet, so you pause the game and just wait 30 minutes?

I've thought about that too, but haven't ever tried. Can someone confirm?

If you wait past 30 minutes the system considers this AFK and automatically begins the 10 second timer (game is unpaused during this 10 second timer obviously).

oh well, nvm, if u still get the 10 second timer then it's no go
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]